Awoo.

The Powerpuff Girls (2016) | A Cartoon Network Original - USA: April 4th, 2016 | UK: April 25th | Escape from Monster Island / Princess Buttercup

Ming Ming Hatsune

Actually, it was intended to be free. I remember an article from SXSW (where the first two episodes premiered yesterday) mentioned they would release the first episode for free on iTunes today. It's merely a marketing thing, I think. Generating hype. But those negative reviews on iTunes scare me. Aaand it's a tad disappointing how it's literally only the first "episode". Just 11 minutes. Not a full 22 minute video. Oh well, at least it's free.

Edit: Found the article http://movies.blog.austin360.com/2016/03/14/sxsw-2016-new-episode-of-revamped-powerpuff-girls-debuts-at-long-center/

Also I knew about this but didn't know it would happen today. Usually when someone has an iTunes date in America, it's a day later for me over here because of the time difference. XD 

1 hour ago, ElectricAngel said:

But those negative reviews on iTunes scare me. 

Are you surprised? The overall reaction this reboot has been pretty negative sort of right from the start.

I'll watch it and give my thoughts on it later.

Gave it a watch. I liked it. Definitely felt like a classic PPG episode with the style of humor (Overall plot reminded me of "Now and Zen" from the old show) and I found myself chuckling a couple of times throughout. Probably not the absolute most hilarious or creative short, but a solid one and a good start.

But those negative reviews on iTunes scare me. Aaand it's a tad disappointing how it's literally only the first "episode". Just 11 minutes. Not a full 22 minute video. Oh well, at least it's free

The reviews on iTunes shouldn't be taken seriously after most of the complaints were about the voice acting.

This reboot will always be compared to the original. And let's face it, while the reboot is looking fantastic so far, it doesn't look like it will beat the original.

And I still prefer the old voices to the new ones.

Let's not forget also that the PPG fans are still angry with CN replacing the actors without letting the original actors know.

I don't give two hoots if the reboot isn't one to one like the original. I want the cartoon to stand on it's own two feet and make its own mark. All the while carrying the charm and moxie of the original to heart. 

Some fans really need to judge it not as an emulation but as its own damn toon.

Ya know I do find it a bit weird that Princess Morebucks has a different voice actor, but Ms. Keanes Voice actor is the same. Wonder why they did that? Meh whatever.

Also I've seen 3 episodes so far and the professor hasn't shown up once. 

Gotta love how the sentiments for the reboot here, are pretty much the reverse of the Mighty Number 9's thread. Went from generally negative to skeptical, and now more positive than ever.

So I just recently saw the leaked episodes and my main complaint so far is that both Buttercup's and Princess Morbucks' voices sound off. Buttercup's sounds like it's trying to force the original VA's style too much and Princess' sounds way off!

Overall, it's not that bad. There were some humorous moments and the visuals are decent. Personally I prefer the original animation style though.

Just now, Kevin said:

So I just recently saw the leaked episodes and my main complaint so far is that both Buttercup's and Princess Morbucks' voices sound off. Buttercup's sounds like it's trying to force the original VA's style too much and Princess' sounds way off!

Apparently Princess' original actress is still there, but she's voiced by someone else...someone on the production crew.

Maybe she didn't want to voice her again.

Edited by StaticMania

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't this meant to be launching in the UK today? Because I checked and there are absolutely no listings for it on Cartoon Network whatsoever.

On 3/28/2016 at 5:04 PM, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Wasn't this meant to be launching in the UK today? Because I checked and there are absolutely no listings for it on Cartoon Network whatsoever.

It seems it has been moved to April. Can't find the exact launch date, but one of the CN UK PPG videos confirmed it will air later this month.

(So you won't get the show before us after all =P)

EDIT: Found the launch date. April 25th.

Cartoon Network Africa will be getting PPG reboot, April 30th 2016. And they will be getting a localized version performed by a South African singer Toya.

Watched a couple of episodes of it earlier and I'm not hating it.  It's pretty cute, albeit noticeably different.  I think I'll keep watching. XP

So much for the UK getting a cartoon from CN early. 

I just hope it gets a decent time on the time slot.

Uh.. Im not sure if you guys know this already (If so, NINJA'D) But Ms. Bellum won't be coming back to the reboot.

tumblr_o55sl5KY6s1uricwvo1_1280.jpg

That is pretty sad though...

• Thumbs Up 1

This show is pretty bad.

Princess Morbucks is the first (and only, as of episode 5) classic PPG villain we see in action. Mojo Jojo's first appearance is a throwaway gag. I hope I'm not the only one who sees a problem with this; if you're going to go through the trouble of making a reboot to CN's most popular 90s property, the least you can do is try to get people excited for it. One way to do that is to kick-start the plot with an episode properly introducing the characters and having the girls' most iconic antagonist wreck havoc on Townsville. Instead, we start off with a shitty one-shot OC villain who makes constant puns on Townsville's name without anybody saying the name Townsville first, so anybody who has never seen an episode of PPG before has no idea what name he's making fun of. Not only is this show assuming that everyone has already seen the old cartoon and is familiar with these characters and settings, but it's not even trying to start it off with a bang. No real excitement, no scenes showing off the girls' exceptional traits and likable qualities, no throwbacks to the old show. Your first episode should convey immediately that this is the motherfucking Powerpuff Girls but the impression I get is that the writers don't really give a shit about that; the girls could have easily been replaced with any other property and the end product would still come off the same and just as equally dissimilar to the original PPG.

The bizarre thing is how despite the reboot not referencing the original cartoon enough, it also doesn't try to do anything new in interesting ways, either. It's in this middle ground where it's distanced from the old one in tone and style, but the result is a heap of sub-par plots, unmemorable new characters, and absolutely no effort to even disguise the blatant aesops that the old PPG frequently ironically poked at or outright threw out the window.  The one gimmick this show really has, if you can call it that, is the constant reminder that this brand new incarnation of PPG takes place in the present day. A lot of jokes seem to hinge on characters using modern technology (e.g. mentions of GPS and texting in situations that typically don't call for them), and it's grating because it's treated as if the PPG universe using modern tech is an unusual and amusing idea in itself. And they bring it up a lot.

Lastly, there's no action to speak of; all of the emphasis is on jokes and silly situations this time. It's like Teen Titans Go but at least TTG had the decency to be aware that it was not hugely related to the original TT whatsoever and it tried to be its own thing. But a thing I loved about PPG is how it was funny and over-the-top violent at the same time. Seeing these girls get seriously fucking pissed and beat the crap out of monsters twenty times their size is hilarious; you can see teeth flying out and seriously painful-looking bruises on their mangled bodies once the girls were through with them. Sometimes they beat them up for no good reason (the clown episode, for example) and that was part of the joke. All of that irony has been lost in the transition to a less violent version of PPG, which I assume is the case because having that sort of violence in a modern cartoon would risk a rating bump.

PPG!2016 gets rid of the charm without anything to replace it. I wouldn't say it's quite as bizarrely out-there as PPGZ is, but at least the anime tried doing its own thing. The reboot on the other hand lacks identity or direction; it can't even bring itself to be a parody of the original source material like TTG is, which would at least set it apart. The reboot's just fucking there and it's so extremely sub-standard and mediocre, and it's lamentable there are no signs of the writers' passion on what they're working on and trying to bring to a new audience. I would still have appreciation for it if it at least tried something new, but it's not doing any of that. Although I'm not the biggest fan of this tactic, at this point I would give anything for a dose of nostalgia pandering than any of this generic crap we're getting.

EDIT: I rewatched the first part of the first episode and there was a narrator who mentions Townsville's name that I totally forgot about, so that's my bad.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Mettatataton said:

Uh.. Im not sure if you guys know this already (If so, NINJA'D) But Ms. Bellum won't be coming back to the reboot.

tumblr_o55sl5KY6s1uricwvo1_1280.jpg

That is pretty sad though...

But yet having little girls twerk is a good message. Ok CN.

• Thumbs Up 3

I did not noticed Miss Bellum wasn't back.

Oh well, I still enjoy this more than Cartoon Networks other shows apart from Steven Universe.

1 hour ago, Sean said:

at least TTG had the decency to be aware that it was not hugely related to the original TT whatsoever

Well that was the case, until that stupid Control Freak episode. Joke or not, that episode techncially connects the two, and disgusted fans even further upon entry.

Yeah, nothing about this reboot has been all that impressive to me. The characterization of the girls, the strength of the fight scenes, the art and character design, the plots so far, the animation (that bit where Bubbles tackles the panda bear is painful in terms of accurately displaying force)- there hasn't been a single thing thus far that has matched the original in terms of impact or charm, leading me to wonder why the hell they even bothered with this instead of just rerunning the original show.

• Thumbs Up 4

For some reason, when I saw the reboot I has a hard time believing that this was an official show and not a youtube poop or a fandub. 

• Thumbs Up 1