Awoo.

The Powerpuff Girls (2016) | A Cartoon Network Original - USA: April 4th, 2016 | UK: April 25th | Escape from Monster Island / Princess Buttercup

Ming Ming Hatsune

Yeah I have to agree with Sean. It's at least not hyped up on caffeine like the 2 specials, but much like those, they don't even try to capture the spirit of the original show. Which would be fine if their aim was to do something new with the franchise, but the writing is uninspired. Not to mention, why can't nobody write the 3 girls properly anymore? Buttercup in this show gets excited for things that the original Buttercup never would for example.

Yeah, it's kinds bad. Original PPG wasn't anything astonishing, but it worked. Cute comedy, relatable characters, original villains and of course surprisingly powerful violence.

New show is very energetic and colorful, but it doesn't know how to use it. Like that scene when Bubbles has hippy outfit for one scene. Just...why? It's not funny in any way, just random. It's like this show is trying to be Adventure Time, but doesn't understand how it worked.

I don't hate it, but I don't feel like watching it. One episode with Mojo and Him and then I'm leaving this boat.

• Thumbs Up 1

Based on what I've read from people's thoughts on the show already, I'm not sure they'd fare any better with this show.

Yeeeahh I was so hyped, now that novelty wore off and realized this is nowhere near the original was.

They are suppose to be fighting crime and busting foes instead we get...this.

Too much focus of PPG trying to fit in modern society with Bubbles being a hippy. Why just why?

I'm not expecting Him's debut to be good.

This is CN's most successful franchise for a reason. And that reboot isn't using that reason.

I'm giving it 10 episodes before I give my final judgment in to giving it a pass.

Found a good comparison I could make to make my point more clear, notice the reboot here at 1:03

It's not terrible or even that bad by any means but the jokes between Miss Keane and Buttercup before the Rainbow thing comes up are easy "student acts like a smartass" jokes that any writer can come up with in this scenario. Granted, I haven't seen all available eps so if anyone knows of another school scene with more inspired humor by all means point it out to me. You'll also notice of course the characters acting a bit frantic and of course Bubbles acting as a Hippie is...I don't even know what the writers think they're accomplishing with that, her hippie persona is not even used for any substantial humor. Oh and they're twerking. These are simply not the same timeless characters, I just have to wonder why not make this a new show and leave the PPG out of this.

Now look at this classic PPG episode at 1:26:

The way Buttercup reacts to Miss Keane is more realistic in how children act at school making her more relateable, and the joke with Keane going all Einstein on them is a good example of random humor that has more punch to it then the other show.

There's no YT clip of it but now please go check the beginning of the episode called Boogie Frights. You'll notice that the girls all behave like actual girls, talking normally, their interaction is very relateable to how siblings interact. Why must the new PPG always talk like immature brats? "JINX!" "I'm not a Buttzilla, you're a Buttzilla!"

Why is it that most cartoon show creators nowadays think having characters talk fast and spout immature jokes is the only way to entertain kids exactly?

Ugh. I really didn't like that first episode. It felt like it was meant to be the Him mind control episode and the Boogieman episodes combined, but it really didn't work out too well. On top of that, I'm not sure how to feel about Bubbles' hippie characterization either. I prefer how PPGZ did it for the simple fact it felt more realistic in how a character like Bubbles would actually be treated as a teenager, in which her kindness and bubbly attitude would likely make her really popular and therefore fitted when we aged up the character. Here, it seems she's just got a random hippie personality for...some reason? I just don't get the reasoning behind it. On top of that, the story and jokes really didn't make much sense, or was that funny.

I don't really have much of anything to say. I just want to leave this image from episode 11.

No me Gusta.jpg

That is all. 

5 hours ago, nintega137 said:

I don't really have much of anything to say. I just want to leave this image from episode 11.

No me Gusta.jpg

That is all. 

untitle.JPG

For real tho, they tried copying the meme face and failed.

Just watched the Rainbow episode. Overblown exaggerated rant incoming.

Wow. Just...wow. Meme jokes? Twerking? Seriously? They actually drew out a joke about Bubbles saying "I can't even." I hadn't even seen that awful "NO ME GUSTA" clip before, but that alone is enough for me to cry foul. When a show - especially a reboot - starts resorting to obnoxious and outdated memes and Internet slang for the sake of "humor," it becomes pretty clear that the writers' aim is not to meaningfully build off of the source material, but rather a soulless attempt at "connecting" to those "HIP AND RAD AND CRAZY KIDS WITH THEIR CAN'T-EVENS AND THEIR SELFIES AND THEIR APPS AND THEIR ANGRY BIRDS." SMARTPHONES-APPS-SELFIES-MEMES XDDDDDDDD is the 2010s equivalent to the 90s kid wearing a backwards cap riding a skateboard. It's done in the same obnoxious spirit, and when it happens in a reboot of an already-beloved property, it's honestly kind of insulting. You know why the original Powerpuff Girls resonated with people so much? Because the writing was strong enough on its own that it didn't need to rely on lame modern-day pop culture references to get giggles out of Minecraft-obsessed tots. It was an actual attempt at making a funny, clever, original show, and it worked. This reboot is just an annoying means of exploiting a nostalgic property for the sake of money by people who, presumably, do not actually give a shit. It's a shame that the majority of such reboots end up that way.

So yeah. It's garbage.

• Thumbs Up 8

In hindsight, it's actually a relief that the 3 legendary actresses did not return for this reboot. I love the hell out of Tara Strong, hell who doesn't, and I surely am glad her amazing talent is not being wasted on this crap. It's awful. There's no heart, no sincerity in the writing whatsoever. The original show appealed to everyone, regardless of gender(My brother and me are proof of that) and age thanks to its multilayered jokes, simple but still sincere storytelling and strong characterization.

This reboot just appeals to the Lowest Common Denominator, there's zero attempt at providing kids with anything that will make them appreciate it more when they grow up, unlike the original show.

I don't like the new voices either. Not necessarily that they aren't 1:1 with the original cast, but they convey entirely different characters through sheer delivery. Buttercup is the worst. She sounds more like Raven from Teen Titans than... You know... Buttercup.

The SJW fuckery also knows no bounds. Speaking of Buttercup, mark my words they're going to make her a lesbian. Nevermind how horribly out of place it is to label a kindergarten student that has no concept of sexuality, the writers fully established they have no fucking bounds on where it is they're willing to go.

Huh, coming back to this thread, it seems the girls having green lantern powers for no reason is in fact among the least of this show's issues. 

Oh, and I have to imagine that there's not much action because that's harder and more expensive to animate, judging by the level of the line work I've seen so far, both leave it out of reach. 

Do companies just not get why the originals were liked? I mean cause every remake/reboot of a kids show seems to go this route. I mean I hope to god Ed, Edd n Eddy or Dexters Lab or KND don't return if this is just what they'll turn out as. Though hey, with TTG! being the most successful CN show apparently, companies are just gonna keep doing this not caring until kids get tired of it. Which they likely won't for awhile.

Just now, Phos said:

Huh, coming back to this thread, it seems the girls having green lantern powers for no reason is in fact among the least of this show's issues. 

If them having new powers is seen as a problem, that would be a problem in itself...it's like one of the only things that doesn't make the show worse.

2 hours ago, StaticMania said:

If them having new powers is seen as a problem, that would be a problem in itself...it's like one of the only things that doesn't make the show worse.

The green lantern powers for them seems weird to me, might have to do with how simple the style of the PPGs is, just doesn't seem like a good fit. But like I said, it seems this show has much larger problems. 

So I just saw the episode Tiara Trouble, the one with the No me Gusta joke. OK first of all have these writers even seen more than one episode of the original show? Him and Princess are the only ones that are actually behaving like they should, every other villain is horribly out of character. Why do Mojo,Fuzzy and the Gang care about a beauty pagent? Mojo even fantasizes about wearing a dress. The plot is that the Tiara is evil for reasons that are never explained and because of that Princess is now a possesed magic destruction freak. Time to kick butt right? Oh wait no, that might actually be fun, instead turns out the only way to destroy the tiara is by singing.......I'm not even shitting you. Basically Bubbles is the only one that can destroy it cause of her more powerful voice, but she's been bossed around by her sisters throughout the whole episode so she doesn't want to. She then says "If you want someone to sing, do it yourselves" and then she does the No me Gusta thing. These stupid writers don't even know basic context, there is literally no reason for that meme to be there, it doesn't fit the situation at all. Bubbles does sing and destroys the tiara. And that's it.

So is this what every episode is like? (I've only seen this, Painbow and the 2 minute shorts on Youtube) Just pointless nonsense for the sake of pointless nonsense?

On 4/16/2016 at 3:55 PM, shdowhunt60 said:

The SJW fuckery also knows no bounds. Speaking of Buttercup, mark my words they're going to make her a lesbian. Nevermind how horribly out of place it is to label a kindergarten student that has no concept of sexuality, the writers fully established they have no fucking bounds on where it is they're willing to go.

Today I learned that trying to make stories about a transgender person is just SJW fuckery and not, you know, recognition of transgender people as people worth paying attention to and making stories about, because only cisgender people matter.

I also learned that it's okay for a kindergartner to express blatant hetereosexuality like she did at least twice in the original show, but homosexuality is just out of bounds and completely inappropriate for a kindergartner to express.

I further learned that it's okay to make up tangents based on slippery slope arguments that have the secondary effect of stereotyping gay women.

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 6

1 minute ago, Nepenthe said:

Today I learned that trying to make stories about a transgender is just SJW fuckery and not, you know, recognition of transgender people as people worth paying attention to and making stories about, because only cisgender people matter or something.

I also learned that it's okay for a kindergartner to express blatant hetereosexuality like she did at least twice in the original show, but homosexuality is just out of bounds and completely inappropriate for a kindergartner to express.

Then congratulations. You learned the entirely wrong lessons.

1 minute ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Then congratulations. You learned the entirely wrong lessons.

Or maybe you're making arguments and implications that are rude.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Nepenthe said:

Or maybe you're making arguments and implications that are rude.

Or maybe I'm not, and you're making gross assumptions about what I'm saying.

I never said that wanting to raise awareness towards transexuals is something that's wrong. But this is a subject that takes something that the writers clearly DO NOT have, and that's called tact. Having the ability to know how to actually construct a narrative in the first place would help as well.

You do not introduce a random fuck-off throw-away character, and have them act as stereotypically as possible. You also do not have other characters try and "support" those characters for purely selfish reasons (which by the way, was INCREDIBLY out of character). You also should not sit there and change the message you're trying to send multiple times throughout the narrative.

In addition to that, I failed to mention also how recurring side character was removed, because she did not fit the agenda that the shows creators were trying to push.

So far, the directors and the writers show a complete lack of tact, devoid of any skill, bereft of any understanding of the source material that they're basing this off of, that the end result is resembling something of a product from Tumblr's very worst. And so, with this thorough demonstration of incompetency in conjunction with how they're shoehorning morals left and right, it frankly would not surprise me to the point of fully expecting for them to make Buttercup a lesbian... Because they're really that fucking clueless.

I agree that the writers are devoid of skill in comparison to the original crew. But their skill isn't really the point here- the point was the implication that merely the attempt at including a transgender plotline and the outright assertion that they would make Buttercup a lesbian, and that the mere definition of a young character as having a sexual bias was inappropriate, was "SJW fuckery." Assuming they did do this, it wouldn't inherently be anymore wrong than her having a crush on Ace or kissing the Rowdyruff Boys, and no one has really had a problem with those original episodes. Following from that, it would have been fair to assume that you were also leveling the same complaint at the unicorn episode. Critiquing the work is one thing, but in the original post you made wasn't actually critiquing anything so much as it came off as bitching about LGBT inclusiveness.

It's also further ironic because the new show is getting ripped to shreds on Tumblr anyway.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Thumbs Up 7