Awoo.

The Powerpuff Girls (2016) | A Cartoon Network Original - USA: April 4th, 2016 | UK: April 25th | Escape from Monster Island / Princess Buttercup

Ming Ming Hatsune

2 hours ago, pppp said:

So is this what every episode is like? (I've only seen this, Painbow and the 2 minute shorts on Youtube) Just pointless nonsense for the sake of pointless nonsense?

I wish I could recommend any other episode. They aren't exactly "better", but unfortunately they also have worse pacing.

6 hours ago, Nepenthe said:

I agree that the writers are devoid of skill in comparison to the original crew. But their skill isn't really the point here- the point was the implication that merely the attempt at including a transgender plotline and the outright assertion that they would make Buttercup a lesbian, and that the mere definition of a young character as having a sexual bias was inappropriate, was "SJW fuckery." Assuming they did do this, it wouldn't inherently be anymore wrong than her having a crush on Ace or kissing the Rowdyruff Boys, and no one has really had a problem with those original episodes. Following from that, it would have been fair to assume that you were also leveling the same complaint at the unicorn episode. Critiquing the work is one thing, but in the original post you made wasn't actually critiquing anything so much as it came off as bitching about LGBT inclusiveness.

It's also further ironic because the new show is getting ripped to shreds on Tumblr anyway.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Did he actually imply all that? Or did he just imply that they were doing all this as lipservice to gain favour with LGBT crowds and current youth culture in a cynical move? which, you know, the lousy writing and blatant pandering clearly shows? As evidenced, as you mention, by the fact even Tumblr hates it (or by things like the meme use)? He might've even implied something else, I don't know, you just seem to be giving him a hard time for a whole bunch of stuff he didn't say.

Anyway;

The show's a genuine bizarre mess that's hard to grasp. The pandering for social media benefits etc is to be expected- with the success shows like Steven Universe, which do this stuff out of genuine interest, are having, opportunists were bound to join in for the ride. But that only affects the writing side. Why the fuck is the visual side such shit?! Like, purposeful shit? the storyboards are nice, CN has other shows that're slightly better animated, there's hand animation in this, and I really doubt they wouldn't have enough budget for at least some Uncle Grandpa-levels of polish. What is going on with this show?

• Thumbs Up 5

So... This show got the TTG treatment.

I saw Painbow and geez where the heck do I start?

The girls are out of character when fighting 'HIM' and the weird bits were that Blossom and Bubbles twerked, and what was the point of Bubbles dressing like a hippie? She's supposed to be cute and badass, not a hippie and twerking! D:

I first thought the artstyle was good, but after seeing the meme face reference, I take that back.

I am OK with Buttercup's voice but I still miss the old actors. 

I wonder what the heck have they done to the show.

2 hours ago, The KKM said:

Did he actually imply all that? Or did he just imply that they were doing all this as lipservice to gain favour with LGBT crowds and current youth culture in a cynical move? which, you know, the lousy writing and blatant pandering clearly shows? As evidenced, as you mention, by the fact even Tumblr hates it (or by things like the meme use)? He might've even implied something else, I don't know, you just seem to be giving him a hard time for a whole bunch of stuff he didn't say.

The original post comes off pretty poorly considering it launches into a tirade about making Buttercup gay that's honestly a slap in the face to gay people and a general slippery slope considering what's actually been done with the characters so far, since they're actually relatively in-character here. It compounds on the fact that I actually think cynical pandering is the least of this show's issues. Like, everyone keeps bringing up "the horrible memes!", which I don't have an inherent issue with actual use in a show that probably would've recognized their existence in a Gumball-like manner had they been existent/more relevant during the original's run. The biggest problem with the writing to me seems to be a general lack of understanding of what made the original much more endearing. The episode about the girls sans Blossom getting extra powers or Buttercup being an absolute fucking brat at school are fine as individual episodes- and that's what most of the show consists of right now- but rather there's the lack of usage of writing characteristics like the narrator or strong musical interjections in place of dialogue that gave the show its style. Like, "cynical LGBT pandering" isn't something I'd put high up on my list of problems with this thing right now since it's only one episode of focus so far, and even if I would I wouldn't say "They're gonna make Buttercup gay despite how inappropriate that is!!!!"... especially since, well, I don't think young LGBT characters are inappropriate, since young straight characters aren't inappropriate, since the girls were pretty strongly implied to be straight and no one had a problem with it in the original show.

• Thumbs Up 3

I really wanted to believe that people despising the show were knee-jerk  "it's different so I hate it"  reactions some tend to have with reboots and such but yeah I can't deny it anymore 

What a fucking tragedy this is, I guess this is something I'll just ignore until it ends and then never speak of it again (unless theres a huge upswing in quality which I doubt) 

• Thumbs Up 2

It really is bad, Teen Titans Go absolutely is a fair comparison. The tone has shifted, the dynamics have shifted. These girls don't save the world and beat up bad guys, they solve hilarious hijinks. Every time there's even the slightest implication of a violent tone, the show shifts away to try and be non-violent with "peaceful" solutions. The most you get is the Powerpuff Girls flying up to the bad guy and getting knocked down again in unspectacular fashion.

Also the transgender horse thing was really bad and felt like a total rude cash in on the LGBT+ community. It could even be interpreted as supporting gender binary if anything. The fact they disposed of Miss Bellum just proves they have no idea what made this show so great. 

• Thumbs Up 6

Where's this idea that they'll make Buttercup gay coming from anyway? Didn't in the boyband episode it show Buttercup going gaga for one of those guys?

Anyway, yeah the meme humor personally comes off cynically made, and effortlessly thought over. It's cringe enducing. Meme humor can be funny when it's done right. Gumball and Regular Show has shown that. Cause they do more than just the memes. Vine beats memes to death, but at least a lot of guys there get what was funny about the meme when making their own version.

The way these shows do it is cringe enducing. Like a lack of understanding what's funny about it. Like a parent that just found out what "hitting that nay nay" is and tries dancing in front of their kid saying "turnt". It's forced, and uncomfortable to look at. They're about as funny as a meme game on steam.

• Thumbs Up 3

14 hours ago, Soniman said:

I really wanted to believe that people despising the show were knee-jerk  "it's different so I hate it"  reactions some tend to have with reboots and such but yeah I can't deny it anymore 

What a fucking tragedy this is, I guess this is something I'll just ignore until it ends and then never speak of it again (unless theres a huge upswing in quality which I doubt) 

This is something that I find funny: how many people complain that they changed something. "Whaa it's less serious" "Whaa, it's less about fighting". Like changes were always a bad thing, especially if it's less serious approach. For comparison, I heard that Scooby Do Mystery Incorporated was great, more mature look at this franchise. I didn't seen it yet, but I saw next cartoon, "Be Cool Scooby Do" which is way more comedic , but I love it anyway.

With that said new Powerpuff Girls is horrible on it's own merits. I mean, episode 11 is debut of Him. imagine that this is first time you see him. That's horrible introduction to one of the main villains. (and if you watched previous show, you hate it anyway, so it fails to satisfy anybody)

tumblr_inline_o5syur7rxJ1rqrvlb_500.gif

LMAO

I'm not sure which episode this is, but classic mistake there! (Look at the dog's leash)

• Thumbs Up 4

*Reads last 2 pages*

This...this is a special kind of bad isn't it?

Can someone give me a roundup of all the fuckups this show has had in a month? I wanna show my friends this but don't want to grab 100 or so links.

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, goku262002 said:

*Reads last 2 pages*

Can someone give me a roundup of all the fuckups this show has had in a month? I wanna show my friends this but don't want to grab 100 or so links.

Basically these 3 eps should give you the gist of it:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x42jr2t_the-powerpuff-girls-104-painbow_tv

This one has the twerking

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x454x1e_the-powerpuff-girls-111-tiara-trouble_tv

This one has....well this:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x42u0lz_the-powerpuff-girls-105-horn-sweet-horn_tv

This one is the one trying to use a unicorn as a metaphor for a transgender.

Aside from that they're just horribly written.

I just found out that the series is out here. I am ot really paying attention to CN. I dont have anything to watch there.

And it sounds awfull.

Just listen to the intro:

Well, it didn't take long for this show to get on some kind of worst cartoon list. Worst animated reboots in particular by Rebeltaxi and mentioning reboots that you may have (wanted to) forgotten.

• Thumbs Up 1

tumblr_inline_o5syur7rxJ1rqrvlb_500.gif

LMAO

I'm not sure which episode this is, but classic mistake there! (Look at the dog's leash)

That would never happen in classic animation. Gosh, these flash animations burn my eyes. There's no charm, no originality, every cartoon looks the damn same.

In regard of the new PPG, as someone how grew with all the classic Cartoon Cartoons, I feel nothing but disgust and shame. I really hope Samurai Jack won't go the same route.

On 4/26/2016 at 6:04 AM, goku262002 said:

*Reads last 2 pages*

On 4/26/2016 at 6:45 AM, pppp said:

Basically these 3 eps should give you the gist of it:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x42jr2t_the-powerpuff-girls-104-painbow_tv

This one has the twerking

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x454x1e_the-powerpuff-girls-111-tiara-trouble_tv

This one has....well this:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x42u0lz_the-powerpuff-girls-105-horn-sweet-horn_tv

This one is the one trying to use a unicorn as a metaphor for a transgender.

Aside from that they're just horribly written.

BUT WAIT THERES MORE!

Cg66rMwW4AAwvG1.jpg:large

ChAdBHOVEAAuxg3.jpg

Cg_kGSaW0AEQSde.jpg

And oh boy spelling mistakes.

Then there's this- 

I got one question. How the heck did these get past the animation board?!

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Mystery Zebra said:

BUT WAIT THERES MORE!

Cg66rMwW4AAwvG1.jpg:large

ChAdBHOVEAAuxg3.jpg

Cg_kGSaW0AEQSde.jpg

And oh boy spelling mistakes.

Then there's this- 

I got one question. How the heck did these get past the animation board?!

Normally I wouldn't add onto things but this, but there's also this scene from the most recent episode (which for anyone curious enough, was another "The Professor falls in Love Episode". Should be all you need to know). 

1 hour ago, nintega137 said:

Normally I wouldn't add onto things but this, but there's also this scene from the most recent episode (which for anyone curious enough, was another "The Professor falls in Love Episode". Should be all you need to know). 

Wow, I was aware of the animation errors, but seriously? They're not even trying. I haven't seen something like this since the early 90s. And those shows had the excuse that they used hand drawn animation back then, meaning if an error was made, they probably wouldn't be able to fix it in time, but with digital anmation they could easily fix this in 2 minutes.

This reboot is an inexcusable abomination that should fail so horribly and never air again.

11 hours ago, Jango said:

That would never happen in classic animation. Gosh, these flash animations burn my eyes. There's no charm, no originality, every cartoon looks the damn same.

This show is shit, but blaming it on the wrong things is as dumb as the show itself. This very much WOULD and DID happen in classic animation. And classic animation was certainly capable of having no charm, no originality, and all look the same. Just spend some time watching GI Joe, Transformers, Goof Troop, Mobile Suit Gundam, for a few off the top of my head.

tumblr_n0y2nkXrYS1qcrr5qo1_400.gif

tumblr_nwsbd3xsH61qcrr5qo4_500.gif

tumblr_ltn06n2ZG71r20x9do1_500.gif

d3d.gif

geist-animation-error-o.gif

• Thumbs Up 8

I... what?

We don't know exactly what's going on, but if I had to guess, you can probably blame this show's production problems on the same things that caused shit cartoons before Flash was a twinkle in John Kricfalusi's eyes- rushed schedules, low budget, untrained employees doing their best to fit higher-up's demands that make no sense. That'll make a disaster whether it be in 1960's cel-animated Japan, 1990's cel-animated Korea, or 2010's flash-animated America.

Going back to the meme references, I hate them. I don't hate them for being there specifically, but I hate them because they aren't making any clever jokes out of them. We're not getting a new twist on the meme. It's the same awful bullshit that's been on the internet for years, so why the fuck would I still want to see it here? Bubbles is doing a troll face? Alright? Where's the joke? It just looks ugly. Twerking? Why in the actual fuck would I want to see the PPG doing that? Same thing for Bubbles in general, who just feels like she's meant to be a teenage girl of the group, despite the fact she's like 5. But no, we have timeless lines such as "OMG YAH". We're at the fucking point where PPGZ protrayed Bubbles better, and that's because she's was a fucking teenager, so it felt more in character to act more mature. Even then, she still kept her actual personality, and didn't have her say...well "OMG YAH".

This reboot is a fucking disaster to be honest.

• Thumbs Up 2

Dunno if it's already been said yet,but certain episodes seem to be aired out of sequence. Like when the girls received those Green Lantern like powers in an early episode, only for the next few episodes later seem to establish Blossom not getting them and Bubbles and Buttercup getting them at the start or something. Mind is fuzzy so I can be wrong on that.

They most certainly are airing episodes out of order. It's not explained why Blossom is wearing a giant surgical glove in the second Pack Rat episode, so I didn't realize that that was her Lantern power and not a literal giant ass glove she was wearing. There also is an episode where they transfer to a new school even though we've seen that exact school in previous episodes.

Nope, that's definitely not the case here. PPG has the loosest variety of continuity...it's episodic, not universe reset style.