Awoo.

The Powerpuff Girls (2016) | A Cartoon Network Original - USA: April 4th, 2016 | UK: April 25th | Escape from Monster Island / Princess Buttercup

Ming Ming Hatsune

Hmm. My only complaints with the special is the animation is still a little odd, some things obviously didn't play to the continuity, the stupid musical number (which wasn't in the episode, luckily) and the story felt a little rushed. Honestly, I think the special was pretty good! Art style looks beautiful, successfully emulates the PPG feel but with a bit of a modern twist, voice actors are still on top form, characters still feel like them... I don't see where the overwhelming negativity is coming from. If they got commissioned for a series I sure as hell wouldn't mind.

• Thumbs Up 2

characters still feel like them...

Really? Refresh my memory, in what episode did the Professor act like a kid on sugar high while taking the girls into the lab?

Oh and another thing: Blossom would never order a "temper tantrum" to get a videogame. She's supposed to be the mature one.

Seriously, I am curious, what exactly made these chatacters feel like their original incarnations?

• Thumbs Up 1

Really? Refresh my memory, in what episode did the Professor act like a kid on sugar high while taking the girls into the lab?

Well for the one thing, it wasn't exactly taking itself seriously. It was being a fun, easy to view special. Probably meant to appeal to kids to attempt to reignite the franchise to squeeze more money out of it. You may have had your expectations way too high for this? I don't know.

The professor has never been this zany but is that really an issue? He still had the fartherly charm he's always had. He's just a little less "overbearing responsible Dad" now. It just makes fun viewing. Plus he's was father like plenty of times in the episode - "be back before bedtime!", taking them to the store for a gift, being upset he lost the girls momentarily. Just because he amusingly entered his lab doesn't make CHARACTER RUINED. At least not to me.

EDIT-

Oh and another thing: Blossom would never order a "temper tantrum" to get a videogame. She's supposed to be the mature one.

Seriously, I am curious, what exactly made these chatacters feel like their original incarnations?

I don't know dude? I just felt those characters were the same as the ones in my childhood. I'm not exactly a Powerpuff Girls expert, neither am I one to want to start a debate over a Powerpuff Girls Special because it will, inevitably, end up going absolutely nowhere. 

My only response to your Blossom point would be she's a young girl in Kindergarden who really wanted something to play with her sisters? So she had a bit of fun to get it? It felt fine and in character to me.

As for the others. Didn't see much of Miss. Bellum. Mayor was just like how he was. Mojo was silly as hell but it was funny. It just felt toned down and dumbed down from what he used to do. 

Welp, that was... something, I guess. Not fond of the new/inconsistent characterization/continuity and most of the humor, but eh, it was alright, I guess. The animation was really weird to look at though; it's very stiff and choppy. Honestly, the art style seems better suited to 2D rather than 3D CGI. It just comes off as jarring to look at when it's clearly 3D CGI, but looks its best when it gives the illusion of 2D. I do like the art style and the girls' new designs for the most part, though. So um, yeah... that's pretty much all I have to say about it.

Well for the one thing, it wasn't exactly taking itself seriously. It was being a fun, easy to view special. Probably meant to appeal to kids to attempt to reignite the franchise to squeeze more money out of it.

And that's ok now apparently? So why couldn't it appeal to both demographics like those revivals i just mentioned instead of just one?

You're flat out admitting that little care was put into this and you're fine with it? Frankly you shouldn't, cause if the audience doesn't care for quality, they sure won't.

Look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAkTSyrNzpE

Again, a 4th wall breaking joke at the start, which is a staple of golden age CN, characters deliver their lines straight as if this is actually happening, which helps drawing the viewer into the story, and the jokes are a direct result of each plot point: a consequence of the story, not just characters acting over the top or doing a pop culture joke.

The sincerity and cleverness of the writing was what made the show a classic. It knew when to be funny(and more importantly, how to be funny) and when to tone down the funnyness so that we could see the characters being themselves, so we could see their humanity and we became invested in what was going on.

Remember that episode where Blossom steals golf clubs for the professor? Or even the one where Bubbles lashes out at everyone cause everybody keeps treating her like a baby? Or the one where they create a deformed 4th sister to do their work and end up watching her die without apologizing?

The original PowerPuff Girls were three dimensional characters that sometimes did jokes as a consequence of the story they were in.

These Powerpuff Girls are just empty vessels for kiddie humor. Substance and cleverness was sacrificed for cheap jokes that a 10 year old can come up with.

I'm not saying the show was high art or something, but it was a clever show that treated its audience with respect.

But fine, if expecting the special to treat its audience like they have a brain and can handle quality writing is having too high expectations, then yeah i guess i had them.

I never said it was okay. I'm saying that is what is was - primarily aimed at a younger audience to squeeze more money out of the franchise. And for what it was, I found it enjoyable. Never thought it ruined anything or destroyed my childhood. Also, please remember you're comparing a 20 minute special to five seasons of the original show which had multiple times to express its greatness, and the original creator behind the helm. These people are newbies. 

Honestly, I'm gonna stop here because I know better than to argue about TV shows from our childhoods. It's like the whole new vs old Spongebob thing. Either way these shows were always intended for a young audience. And when they grow up they may well talk of these versions of the characters as they were the best thing ever as they reveal an even new incarnation of the show. You can't fight nostalgia.  

You're entitled to your opinion man. I just happened to really like it.

Oh look, turns out it is possible to take a beloved old property, updating/putting a new twist on it and STILL remain true to its original appeal, show them Zooey:  would have thought, huh? B)

I have a better one

http://youtu.be/Wr43pQwYT18

This show stays true to what made the other incarnations great

These people are newbies.

So was Jason Segel. And yet his Muppet movie is one of the best family films in recent years.

I already said, the fact that they're newbies is not an excuse.

Don't mash all of us in with liking that new!TMNT series, because not all of us do.

Newbies who should've done their research, it doesn't help that the VERY DAY BEFORE they had a 5 hour best of marathon of the PPGs that gave all of us a refresher course.

I don't know who this David P. Smith is, but I don't feel he should be trusted as creative director if this does become a series.

Was I also the only one kind of disturbed on how it only took the Professor's sheer sob-fest to make the girls break free?

I mean, as if his character didn't go through enough flanderization, they had to make him at his weakest just to make them look stronger. I was honestly expecting them to pull a "remember who you are and what you mean to me" speech. Would've been corny and predictable as hell, but it certainly would've been more tasteful than what had to happen to the poor guy. And it wasn't even just the thought that he had permanently lost his girls that made him cry, it was also just being mocked by the bystanders, when they should damn well know why he had to dance in the first place.

I personally really liked it. For what it was, it felt like a regular, silly episode of the original series. Mojo Jojo was dumbed down, and the power inconsistencies were sort of jarring but otherwise everyone seemed pretty much-in character. The plot was pretty cool and written as well as you can expect an episode of PPG to be, I guess. :P Near the end it started tapering off and making less sense, but I still liked it.

The animation and new style was cool, but kind of unnecessary, because the writing and townspeople remained largely the same. There was a shot of Townsville near the start that was really beautiful looking, though. The action was handled nicely, and the animation, while choppy at times, was much better looking in motion. It generally felt like what I remember of the original series, if a little more indicative of the Post-film episodes. But nevertheless, it was a much better special than The PPG Rule! in my eyes, and that special was written by Craig McCracken to boot, which is rather jarring, considering the wonderful episodes he wrote back in the day.

All in all, good special, with a bit of tightened up continuity/plot elements and a better conclusion, it could've been great.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's up on Dailymotion if you haven't seen it yet.

u mad bro?

They did give Blossom a new power to make up for it

Uh....Cross-eyed Mouth Laser abilities go!?

Well there was that episode where Blossom apparently developed the ability breath fire right after she master the ice-breath technique so.....

I just watched it.

Well, the 7 minutes of it I could stomach anyways.

PRetty bad. they were as obnoxiously hyper as a cat that just took a shit, Bubbles has Ice breath, and the sent all the way to China gag? Really?

That was... odd. Insanely fast paced, I could hardly keep up.

It got a few chuckles out of me, so I guess that's something. I changed my mind on the animation though. While there were some bits that did have a nice flair it started to hurt my eyes by the end. Too fucking bright.

Well there was that episode where Blossom apparently developed the ability breath fire right after she master the ice-breath technique so.....

That was the same episode and it was more of a gag then anything.

Weird question, but can someone explain why ice breath is important? I'm rusty on my PPG knowledge

Blossom was the one who originally had ice breath, there was an entire episode dedicated to her getting.

The special kind of ignores that and gave it to Bubbles(who's power was talking to animals), it's a pretty weird change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 1

It boils down to the fact that they really didn't do any research before writing up the characters for this episode. I'm guessing their logic must be "OH SO 1 OF THEM HAS ICE BREATH?! LETS JUST GIVE IT TO THE BLUE ONE SEEING AS SHE WEARS BLUE AND ICE IS BLUE HAHAHAHAHA GEDDIT?!?!?!?!"

I really enjoyed it. The pacing was pretty funky, way too quick. I'm amazed with how much happened in 22 minutes - I can't even remember it all - and it would've been better off slowed down a lot. The animation's choppiness was obviously intentional but it still just didn't look very good.

However the art style itself totally blew me away, it's got a great modern flair and looked really fantastic. I'd be happy to accept it if they followed up with a reboot keeping the same look. Didn't have any qualms with the characters aside from the ice breath deal and the uh, interesting take on Utonium's backstory. Dialogue was nice, the mayor was especially entertaining, as was Mojo Jojo (as always).

Not the best episode ever, but I never expected it to be exceptional anyway. It was certainly never going to live up to The Powerpuff Girls Rule! as far as revivals go, but was fun to watch and in any case it was neat to see the girls again.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 years later...

I'm guessing the "wipe" wiped out the previous stuff that was on here. Anyway, let's keep SSMB up to speed:

New artwork:

Z4RuXZO.jpg

71q9RGIROXL.jpg

(More here with Mojo Jojo http://www.amazon.com/Powerpuff-Girls-2017-Wall-Calendar/dp/0789332124/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453288709&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Powerpuff+Girls+2017)

Last but not least, the United Kingdom confirmed to air the reboot series from March 28th. It is unknown when the US is going to air the series.

Oh man that's a major improvement from the abominations I saw the last time I looked at this show.

I used to watch this show all the time as a kid and might check it out if any of these new episodes show up on the internet.

They're a vast improvement over that over-stylized crap from that special 2 years ago. Blossom looks the same, Bubbles has some braids in her pigtails and Buttercup has what appears to be a cowlick.

Cute, and not entirely removed from Craig McKraken's style. Me likey.

I remember watching the original when I was growing up, great to see them back on TV after all those years:D.

Yes, the images above look a lot better than was initially teased.  I'm actually quite looking forward to it, even if the original actors won't make an appearance.