Awoo.

The Powerpuff Girls (2016) | A Cartoon Network Original - USA: April 4th, 2016 | UK: April 25th | Escape from Monster Island / Princess Buttercup

Ming Ming Hatsune

Well I'm shocked that their keeping their old designs, well, aside from a tuff of hair on buttercup and bubbles has little ribbons now.

7 hours ago, Tara said:

Yes, the images above look a lot better than was initially teased.  I'm actually quite looking forward to it, even if the original actors won't make an appearance.

Yeah thats what killed my interest too, once I found out they axed the 3 original voice actors for some shill sound alikes.

I'll give the first episode a watch but after that I won't really care.

9 hours ago, goku262002 said:

Yeah thats what killed my interest too, once I found out they axed the 3 original voice actors for some shill sound alikes.

I'll give the first episode a watch but after that I won't really care.

Honestly, if they're going to replace the cast, I want to hope that they'll do something completely different with them.  Tara Strong is an amazing actress, but I wouldn't want her voicing Bubbles the same way if they wanted to spin the characters in a slightly different direction.

Just now, Tara said:

Honestly, if they're going to replace the cast, I want to hope that they'll do something completely different with them.  Tara Strong is an amazing actress, but I wouldn't want her voicing Bubbles the same way if they wanted to spin the characters in a slightly different direction.

I highly doubt were gonna see any differences between these PPGs and the old ones, except maybe their flaws magnified by 1000 like the other specials after the main series has done.

7 minutes ago, goku262002 said:

I highly doubt were gonna see any differences between these PPGs and the old ones, except maybe their flaws magnified by 1000 like the other specials after the main series has done.

I want to give it some benefit of the doubt since CN is under better direction and is exhibiting a much greater emphasis of story-driven narrative in their recent shows.  The 2014 special, hopefully was just a horrible mistake that will dwell within the far reaches of my memory, festering and growing with each passing season until it finally consumes me.

• Thumbs Up 3

I like the designs, nothing major but they're great.

I hope this turns out really well, unlike the last two attempts. 

• Thumbs Up 1

So we got our newest sample of the reboot thanks to CN's Official Tumblr account.

http://cartoonnetwork.tumblr.com/post/139118487976/heres-the-first-sneak-peek-from-powerpuff-girls

Just from that scene alone, it's ok. It doesn't wow me in any way in both dialogue and animation, but it's not awful, and they at least look like their usual selves. Would've been nice if they kept the original show's bolder art style, but this still works ok too. I will say it's pretty offputting not hearing the original voice for Buttercup too, and it's a shame they couldn't get the original cast back.

Though... honestly I still don't really care enough to be offended by it, pft. Still hope the new show will be decent though, and I'll probably catch a couple of episodes once they air, but i'm not gonna expect anything amazing to come out of this reboot.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Pompadour said:

and it's a shame they couldn't get the original cast back.

The original cast was never called, they WANTED to come back this was all CN's idea. bastards...

• Thumbs Up 1

My main complaint is the generic 2010's faux-Adventure Time style of artwork, which is just incredibly jarring to look at.  But with that said, the art style of the original show was also considerably generic for its time, so it's not like it's changing some fundamental element of the series or anything like that.  Buttercup's new voice works really well for her, so I don't mind it, but the new actress is clearly just trying to emulate her old one, so I imagine it rubs salt into the wounds of the more dedicated fanbase.  The writing is nothing spectacular, although I feel a lot of that probably has to do with the fact that the clip in question really doesn't show anything of interest.

• Thumbs Up 1

Still holding out hope that this show can impress me. But good lord, I did not like Buttercups new voice. At all.

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, goku262002 said:

The original cast was never called, they WANTED to come back this was all CN's idea. bastards...

Sheesh... what I thought was a shame, became a complete slap to the face. No real sympathy for you there, CN. :/

11 minutes ago, Pompadour said:

Sheesh... what I thought was a shame, became a complete slap to the face. No real sympathy for you there, CN. :/

Go back and read a few pages, you can see the legit shock and tears of the previous voice actors when they found out they weren't even considered in coming back.

This show looks meh but sounds worse.

EDIT: oh, right, last years server crash. nevermind...

The first second I watched the preview, it instantly reminds me of Adventure Time and Regular Show with its art style. Not that happy...

And Buttercup's new voice...well, it's not that bad, but comparing it E.G. Daily...yeah, not better or even on par. And Goku's right, I remember so much that the original VAs wanted to voice the PPG in this reboot and CN didn't even bother looking at them. Tara Strong was hurt the most out of that.

Blossom's voice is alright, it's the closest so far to any of the original voices. Buttercup will be a lot of getting used to, and we have yet to hear from Bubbles.

They actually made Tara Strong voice Raven to promote the show.

Just add salt to the fucking wound why don't you CN.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

They actually made Tara Strong voice Raven to promote the show.

Just add salt to the fucking wound why don't you CN.

Those are all stock clips of the show edited use the PPG.  They didn't make her record any new lines for these promos.

That being said, I did just see a commercial promoting the new series.  Blossom and Mojo sound pretty much exactly the same, but Bubbles is noticeable different from Tara's version of the character.  So either they really are going a slightly different direction with the characters and/or story... or they're not.  I don't know.  She doesn't sound bad, but I'm interested to see more.

2 hours ago, Tara said:

Those are all stock clips of the show edited use the PPG.  They didn't make her record any new lines for these promos.

That being said, I did just see a commercial promoting the new series.  Blossom and Mojo sound pretty much exactly the same, but Bubbles is noticeable different from Tara's version of the character.  So either they really are going a slightly different direction with the characters and/or story... or they're not.  I don't know.  She doesn't sound bad, but I'm interested to see more.

You got a clip anywhere so I can hear it?

1 minute ago, nintega137 said:

You got a clip anywhere so I can hear it?

Was looking for it on YouTube, but all I could find were the crossover clips and the "don't call me princess" clip already linked above.  Hoping they put it online soon.

6 minutes ago, Tara said:

Was looking for it on YouTube, but all I could find were the crossover clips and the "don't call me princess" clip already linked above.  Hoping they put it online soon.

Found this. 

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Tara said:

My main complaint is the generic 2010's faux-Adventure Time style of artwork, which is just incredibly jarring to look at.  But with that said, the art style of the original show was also considerably generic for its time, so it's not like it's changing some fundamental element of the series or anything like that.  Buttercup's new voice works really well for her, so I don't mind it, but the new actress is clearly just trying to emulate her old one, so I imagine it rubs salt into the wounds of the more dedicated fanbase.  The writing is nothing spectacular, although I feel a lot of that probably has to do with the fact that the clip in question really doesn't show anything of interest.

Yeah this generic art style really doesn't appeal to me at all. I don't really consider the original's art style to be generic, other than Dexter's Lab I can't really think of anything that uses the tiny characters, colorful, and bold outlines. I thought it was really neat looking. 

I don't like this new actress though. It's probably just because I have their original voices ingrained into my head so hearing any voice that isn't the original cast is almost grating. Maybe I'll get used to it. But it's so sad to hear the original cast wasn't asked to come back. Sigh.

Edit: Just remembered Billy & Mandy, but I'm not sure if that can really be considered the same era.

6 minutes ago, nintega137 said:

Found this. 

That's it!  Thank you!

4 minutes ago, monkokaio said:

Yeah this generic art style really doesn't appeal to me at all. I don't really consider the original's art style to be generic, other than Dexter's Lab I can't really think of anything that uses the tiny, colorful, and bold outlines. I thought it was really neat looking. 

I don't like this new actress though. It's probably just because I have their original voices ingrained into my head so hearing any voice that isn't the original cast is almost grating. Maybe I'll get used to it. But it's so sad to hear the original cast wasn't asked to come back. Sigh.

Cow and Chicken, Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo, Sheep in the Big City, Time Squad, Billy and Mandy, and as far as I'm aware pretty much every CN original prior to Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends (bar maybe Courage the Cowardly Dog since that had an increased emphasis on CGI) had this exact art style, which is probably why the CN City theme worked so well at the time.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Tara said:

That's it!  Thank you!

Cow and Chicken, Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo, Sheep in the Big City, Time Squad, Billy and Mandy, and as far as I'm aware pretty much every CN original prior to Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends (bar maybe Courage the Cowardly Dog since that had an increased emphasis on CGI) had this exact art style, which is probably why the CN City theme worked so well at the time.

What about Ed, Edd, and Eddy?

3 minutes ago, Tara said:

I guess you're right now that I think about it. I liked all those shows too hehe. The big difference is that the old style actually appeals to me so the style didn't seem oh so generic, since that word tends to have such a negative connotation ;p 

Just now, monkokaio said:

I guess you're right now that I think about it. I liked all those shows too hehe. The big difference is that the old style actually appeals to me so the style didn't seem oh so generic, since that word tends to have such a negative connotation ;p 

Eh, I mean, I don't find either art style unappealing.  I just think that both shows follow what is (at their respective times) contemporary trends in animation, just like many of the shows on CN today make use of the faux-Adventure Time style because it's currently a popular style.  There's nothing wrong with that, but it does rob the series of a unique artistic identity.

5 minutes ago, nintega137 said:

What about Ed, Edd, and Eddy?

Ed, Edd, 'n Eddy actually stood out considerably, in my opinion.  It did have the iconic thick, bold, and black outlines, make no mistake, but the character designs anatomically were very different from all the cartoons listed above.  In addition, the way it was animated with many off-model shots and gestures definitely makes the way the characters move and flow considerably different.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't really mind the art style change too much (though I do prefer the original look), but I'm worried that it isn't going to have the same punch, both figuratively and literally.

Every line featured in the commercials seem awfully generic, the action seems much more tame, and I'm worried some things like the comedic timing or the dramatic background music cues (two of THE biggest traits to the show) aren't going to be anything like the original, which I really hope isn't the case but I'm growing suspicious of it.

That said, it looks cute so far and I'll definitely tune in on the first few episodes to get a better opinion.

• Thumbs Up 3

That's generally it. Something about the clips that we've been shown just FEELS wrong. It doesn't feel like the show we remember.

As for the art style, honestly if I had to say something in regards to that... Make it look like the movie. The movie was awesome. It looked awesome. It should be like that. 

• Thumbs Up 1