Awoo.

The Powerpuff Girls (2016) | A Cartoon Network Original - USA: April 4th, 2016 | UK: April 25th | Escape from Monster Island / Princess Buttercup

Ming Ming Hatsune

The new voices are gonna take getting used to, but they don't sound bad at least. Animation is also very weird from Tartavosky's trademark style. I'm not against it, its just....different. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt at least. I'm not gonna let nostalgia dictate what could be a good follow up series.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know, I've been looking over the artstyle for a while and something was bothering me, but I couldn't put my finger on it. I took it apon myself to make a comparison to the old show and, well:

o-POWERPUFF-GIRLS-RETURNING-facebook.jpg

I noticed pretty much immediately that the outlines were a lot thicker, and there's something about the colours, like they're less oversaturated or something. Is that really enough to make so much difference, or am I just being hopelessly pedantic as usual? Maybe an actual artist understands this kind of thing better than I do.

• Thumbs Up 8

I absoliute love the new theme song.  It retains the tonality of the original while also making it a lot more fresh and less of a rehash.  Plus it's a pretty rockin' song to boot.  The animation in the opening is also pretty top notch; probably better than the rest of the show but we'll just have to wait and see on that.

• Thumbs Up 3

I absoliute love the new theme song.  It retains the tonality of the original while also making it a lot more fresh and less of a rehash.  Plus it's a pretty rockin' song to boot.  The animation in the opening is also pretty top notch; probably better than the rest of the show but we'll just have to wait and see on that.

Not really. The shortened version removes all parts that is similar to the original opening aka the Sugar, Spice & everything nice.

11 minutes ago, Ming Ming Kanon said:

Not really. The shortened version removes all parts that is similar to the original opening aka the Sugar, Spice & everything nice.

I said maintains the tonality, which the shortened version still does.  A female-lead rock band that is as cute as it is edgy is extremely reminiscent of the original series, and despite being heavily stylized, the intro still gives me lots of vibes from the original show.

That being said, it woul have been nice if they had kept the creation scene in because it's a really cool retooling, but it's not necessarily the part I was referring to.

37 minutes ago, Tara said:

I said maintains the tonality, which the shortened version still does.  A female-lead rock band that is as cute as it is edgy is extremely reminiscent of the original series, and despite being heavily stylized, the intro still gives me lots of vibes from the original show.

That being said, it woul have been nice if they had kept the creation scene in because it's a really cool retooling, but it's not necessarily the part I was referring to.

I apologize for misunderstanding and skimreading. It was very early in the morning when I posted that.

But I agree, it's probably the best Cartoon Network Original opening we had in years.

4 hours ago, Blacklightning said:

You know, I've been looking over the artstyle for a while and something was bothering me, but I couldn't put my finger on it. I took it apon myself to make a comparison to the old show and, well:

o-POWERPUFF-GIRLS-RETURNING-facebook.jpg

I noticed pretty much immediately that the outlines were a lot thicker, and there's something about the colours, like they're less oversaturated or something. Is that really enough to make so much difference, or am I just being hopelessly pedantic as usual? Maybe an actual artist understands this kind of thing better than I do.

There's little to no variation in the line work now either. Along with the more saturated colours and overall cleaner, modern design it falls neatly in line with Adventure Time and Steven Universe, no longer evoking the Hanna Barbera days of old:

kScn8zT.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Who remembers the ending theme song of the original? <3

After replaying the new opening again, it just reminded me of this.

The original show had a very Hanna Barbera look to it, because I think at that point the company was in charge of the animated series being put out? Or at least they had some input, since their logo was in the end credits of a lot of early CN productions. Anyway, I don't know how many times I have to say it (perhaps I haven't said it much here), but each show is made with influence to the current era and what's trending. Back then, thick outlines, washed out colours, and simple designs were in as seen with Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo, etc. Today, it seems we've gone back to simplistic designs but have much brighter colours and thinner outlines, sometimes none. The new Powerpuff Girls series is simply representative of that. I don't see it as much different from the old one in that sense. Both use a style that's common in their time.

• Thumbs Up 3

I liked the new intro a lot, only problem is the TV version decided to get rid of the creation of the PPG, which I do believe was a stupid move, considering it more or less gives us the PPG's origins in less than a minute.

Speaking of which, I wonder will they do an origin episode, or will they keep PPG Movie as their official origin.

Because I haven't watched any of the Cartoon Network Original shows since 2005's Camp Lazlo (Have to say 'original' because I have watched The Tom & Jerry Show, Looney Tunes Show & Wabbit) I have to get used to the new modern Cartoon Network art style that they use in Adventure Time, Chowder, Clarence etc for this reboot.

I'll get used to it. It's not fugly as the Dance Pantsed special after all. 

This reboot won't beat the originals, that's almost guaranteed but that doesn't mean this reboot won't be good. I just have to force my mind to not compare it to the original.

459b7b34072462.56c36fcd0d975.jpg

The music video intro was outsourced to company called Golden Wolf, which is why it looks so good... so who knows how the show's actual animation will turn out. Also, I know it's not appropriate for a full show but I really dig this style. Check out some development stuff on Behance.

That song is really damn catchy btw and it's grown on me fast 

• 2 weeks later...

We also have an episode description

" From the episode "Monster Island"...
After Bubbles wins two tickets to see the girls’ favorite band Sensitive Thugz, Blossom and Buttercup vie for her plus-one. But when the Mayor’s plane crashes on Monster Island, the girls must put aside their differences to save the day! "

The sound seems much more impactful in that clip.  Much better than the more subdued and laid back version we were getting before.

Also, is that an evil version of Flame Princess from Adventure Time? =X

Based on that last clip, the humor seems a little bit different, and Bubbles is REALLY different, but I have to say I'm liking it a lot.  Bubbles aside, the characters are all very much themselves.  I'm really warming up to it.

And even as different as Bubbles is here, I don't find it bad at all.  I think it's really nice to see her given a bit more balance and middle ground as to being an obnoxious little girl stereotype.  Her new voice is really cute, too!! <3

And I'm not trying to say that the original series was bad or that this is the superior version, just that I'm really liking the look of this show, regardless of how it relates to the original.

• Thumbs Up 5

I've only seen Air Buttercup, as it was posted on Twitter. Debating whether or not to watch all the clips that come out.

But I am really liking the show! I'm practically used to the style already and.. kinda prefer it to the original (don't kill me). Bubbles also seems a lot cuter and bubbly here. I think her voice is nice. To be honest, at times Bubbles would sound annoying in the original. Her voice was a little too high pitched for me. Then again, maybe I wasn't completely used to it because I've only seen a handful of episodes in English. 

We're one month away and it feels like forever. Ahhh, I just really want to see it now! 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm liking Bubbles' new personality here, even if I would have preferred Tara Strong's voice acting. Reminds me a bit of PPGZ's charactization of Bubbles actually, only with her at a much younger age this time around.

This show is clearly doing a different take on the PPG and honestly I'm okay with that. I know a lot of other people are comparing it to TTG(which I also think is overblown) but honestly I'm very curious about this new direction. This is coming from someone who grew up and loved the original series. 

From what we've seen, this show isn't comparable to TTG since it's clearly intended to be a revival of sorts of the original series, whilst TTG was from the get-go meant to be a different take (and by extension, a parody) of the series it's based on.

Anyway, I'm actually glad they're doing something a little bit different with this series.  I feel like if they tried to capture the original show too loyally, it would never live up to expectations of fans.  I am curious to see what this new direction entails.  That is, if it will be just another comedy series or if they will try to do something more story-oriented?  I'd be up for either one, personally!

Edited by Celestia
  • Thumbs Up 4