Awoo.

The Powerpuff Girls (2016) | A Cartoon Network Original - USA: April 4th, 2016 | UK: April 25th | Escape from Monster Island / Princess Buttercup

Ming Ming Hatsune

On 4/26/2016 at 3:42 PM, Jango said:

That would never happen in classic animation. Gosh, these flash animations burn my eyes. There's no charm, no originality, every cartoon looks the damn same.

Source that says this reboot was animated in Adobe Flash?

4 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Nope, that's definitely not the case here. PPG has the loosest variety of continuity...it's episodic, not universe reset style.

That's also the case for Boom, it has a loose continuity as well. Some episodes reference previous ones.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, sansy said:

That's also the case for Boom, it has a loose continuity as well. Some episodes reference previous ones.

More than just references or cameos, like if an actual change happens...it stays that way from that moment forwards. They don't acknowledge it, they just accept that the change and move on.

Oh, now I see why they have green lantern powers. Toys. So they can move more plastic. 

Also finally figured out why Bubbles's head looks so off. They moved her pigtails to the top of her head and it plays havoc with her proportions. 

Breaking news everybody this show is crossover with Teen Titans Go 

Cho3VxcUUAANePt.jpg

42 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

Cho3VxcUUAANePt.jpg

Two bad revivals for the price of one.

Hooray.

• Thumbs Up 3

Now all we need is Johnny Test and it will be perfect.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's too soon in this show's mediocre life to be doin' a crossover.

And with TTG! of all things, this will only serve to garner more bashing...negative reception.

On 5/4/2016 at 2:25 PM, Dejimon11 said:

Cho3VxcUUAANePt.jpg

A crossover episode between two shitty revival shows, huh. Wonderful...

• Thumbs Up 3

On May 5, 2016 at 9:11 PM, StaticMania said:

It's too soon in this show's mediocre life to be doin' a crossover.

This just got me thinking...

This is one of the things that irks me the most about this reboot. You say this with the perspective of it being a new show, but it seems like they're treating it like PPG just "came back", as if it's the same show. Yet, they changed enough where it seems like it's trying to be a different show...but then again, they make references to the original show(?!).

It's like, there's that one episode where they show their old school for a brief moment, with the old art style and old character designs.

...Is this show supposed to be a reboot or some sort of bizarre continuation? It seems like they're trying to imply these are the same exact characters from the first series, but it's now the future or something.

I just don't understand a lot of the creative decisions that went into this thing. It has no audience. Is it for old fans, or is it for a completely new group? I'm in the minority of people, who doesn't exactly hate this new show, but it's a complete and total mess, nonetheless.

The only things that come to mind are "Ew" "No" and "Why?". this fucking show hurts my soul because I know it could've been soo much better.

Ok, so now that I'm caught up episode-wise, I can give my full opinion on the reboot:

I don't like it at all. It's too fast paced and feels like a Powerpuff Girls verison of Teen Titans Go. The visuals are ok, but in some places they really screw it up like with the side view being an example. The villains despite making an appearance, don't do much, and I don't like Princess Morebuck's new voice. The girls' voices are ok though despite Buttercup sounding a bit off.

I gave it chance, but I just can't get into it. Here's to hoping there's some kind of improvement later on down the road.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's our first look at the crossover 

CjeEISCWsAAGXID.jpg

So... this is probably going to take place in Townsville? Or is it the TTG world?

35 minutes ago, Fusion Zebra said:

So... this is probably going to take place in Townsville? Or is it the TTG world?

The background tells of Teen Titans Go...land.

• 3 weeks later...
There's one word to describe PPG 2016 at this point: below-average. There are several problems with this show, both small and large:
  1. The people who run this show removed content from the original show under the claim that it was offensive/sexist/etc. But in trying to "steer clear," they actually publish content they claim to be against. They eliminated Miss Keane's breasts and Miss Bellum altogether because of "inclusion," but in turn, they implicate misandry by using sexist stereotypes as enemies and then publish a scene where Blossom and Bubbles twerked.
  2. Flanderized characterizations of the Powerpuff Girls. Each of the PPGs were archetypes of the ingredients used to create the girls, but they were characters first, archetypes second. Now they're mostly tied to one traits for some reason I don't know. Bubbles is now either sweet or angry so often that there's no middleground. Of the three, Blossom is the one most out of character; her personality is more or less confined to the "smart person" stereotype.
  3. Way, way too many animation and design mistakes. The animation is where it suffers the most. Some perspective shots are just horrible, and there are others like Buttercup appearing from the middle of a wall. The original show mad some mistakes before, but it was still very refined and not as noticeable. PPG 2016 is in Flash and often easily seen; you can't mess that up. But then there's the designs of the other characters; they don't compliment the Powerpuff Girls well at all. Instead, they look like designs from other shows. In the original, the designs of the other characters were an excellent balance to the simple drawings of Blossom, Bubbles, and Buttercup.
  4. Memes…one too many. If you're going to use a meme, then give it some context. As terrible as the twerking was, there was some context: the girls were performing this dance under someone else's control. But they still do way too many and usually have no reason to even make them. "No Me Gusta" is so on the nose with zero purpose.
  5. Way too many Wingding Eyes. The purpose of the Wingding Eyes is usually to emote someone's actions in a cartoony way, usually to create a joke. The most classic is the dollar signs to implicate a need to get rich quickly. But the staff there abuses the Wingding Eyes to the point of ill effect. Rather than trying to make a joke, they implicate a desire to create emotion with no effort into it.
  6. The pacing in many of the episodes is completely horrid. Several episodes have no idea how to string their script from Point A to Point B to Point Z coherently. Painbow is one such example, rushing through the middle of the plot to get to the main scene, which lasts half of the 11-minute episode.
  7. It doesn't know what to do. Unlike Teen Titans Go, the Powerpuff Girls 2016 is a "soft reboot." Some things change, yet it sticks to the original show's continuity. By trying to appease both the old and new (and often, it tries to do it too hard), the show's identity looks really lost. When it attempts to go trendy (i.e., modernizing the world and using memes as jokes for the sake of it), it looks dated very quickly. Stick to one identity and go from there.
If comparing the current episode line to Teen Titans Go's at the same points, TTG is better than PPG 2016. However, since the end of season one or beginning of season two, Teen Titans Go's quality degraded awesomely. Still an infant show, Powerpuff Girls has a chance to rebound like FIM following Winter Wrap Up. But to rebound well, it needs some plan to make this show timeless. Don't try to modernize it to pander to the current generation. Put in some effort to bridge the gap with quality storytelling and characters. And please, watch for the implications!
  • Thumbs Up 5

14 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:
There's one word to describe PPG 2016 at this point: below-average. There are several problems with this show, both small and large:
  1. The people who run this show removed content from the original show under the claim that it was offensive/sexist/etc. But in trying to "steer clear," they actually publish content they claim to be against. They eliminated Miss Keane's breasts and Miss Bellum altogether because of "inclusion," but in turn, they implicate misandry by using sexist stereotypes as enemies and then publish a scene where Blossom and Bubbles twerked.
  2. Flanderized characterizations of the Powerpuff Girls. Each of the PPGs were archetypes of the ingredients used to create the girls, but they were characters first, archetypes second. Now they're mostly tied to one traits for some reason I don't know. Bubbles is now either sweet or angry so often that there's no middleground. Of the three, Blossom is the one most out of character; her personality is more or less confined to the "smart person" stereotype.
  3. Way, way too many animation and design mistakes. The animation is where it suffers the most. Some perspective shots are just horrible, and there are others like Buttercup appearing from the middle of a wall. The original show mad some mistakes before, but it was still very refined and not as noticeable. PPG 2016 is in Flash and often easily seen; you can't mess that up. But then there's the designs of the other characters; they don't compliment the Powerpuff Girls well at all. Instead, they look like designs from other shows. In the original, the designs of the other characters were an excellent balance to the simple drawings of Blossom, Bubbles, and Buttercup.
  4. Memes…one too many. If you're going to use a meme, then give it some context. As terrible as the twerking was, there was some context: the girls were performing this dance under someone else's control. But they still do way too many and usually have no reason to even make them. "No Me Gusta" is so on the nose with zero purpose.
  5. Way too many Wingding Eyes. The purpose of the Wingding Eyes is usually to emote someone's actions in a cartoony way, usually to create a joke. The most classic is the dollar signs to implicate a need to get rich quickly. But the staff there abuses the Wingding Eyes to the point of ill effect. Rather than trying to make a joke, they implicate a desire to create emotion with no effort into it.
  6. The pacing in many of the episodes is completely horrid. Several episodes have no idea how to string their script from Point A to Point B to Point Z coherently. Painbow is one such example, rushing through the middle of the plot to get to the main scene, which lasts half of the 11-minute episode.
  7. It doesn't know what to do. Unlike Teen Titans Go, the Powerpuff Girls 2016 is a "soft reboot." Some things change, yet it sticks to the original show's continuity. By trying to appease both the old and new (and often, it tries to do it too hard), the show's identity looks really lost. When it attempts to go trendy (i.e., modernizing the world and using memes as jokes for the sake of it), it looks dated very quickly. Stick to one identity and go from there.
If comparing the current episode line to Teen Titans Go's at the same points, TTG is better than PPG 2016. However, since the end of season one or beginning of season two, Teen Titans Go's quality degraded awesomely. Still an infant show, Powerpuff Girls has a chance to rebound like FIM following Winter Wrap Up. But to rebound well, it needs some plan to make this show timeless. Don't try to modernize it to pander to the current generation. Put in some effort to bridge the gap with quality storytelling and characters. And please, watch for the implications!

No offence, but did you happen to watch the latest Mr. Enter video? A lot of what you said was in the video including the TTG comparison. Your points are still very valid don't get me wrong, I'm just curious.

• Thumbs Up 2

@Ryannumber1gamer No offense taken.

I did watch it, as well as a few others like Saberspark, PieGuyRulz, and PaleoSteno. But for quite some time, I noticed a good number of problems in this show (particularly points 1-4).

• 2 weeks later...

Where were you when Teen Titans Go! understood The Powerpuff Girls better than the actual show's creative team?

Also, this is the first instance I've seen new Powerpuff Girls actually beat up Mojo (or any villain, for that matter). 

All I'm thinking is how Tara Strong feels about crossover with a show that didn't revive her role as Bubbles. Though then again she did agreed to TTG!

This isn't the first time they've foughten villainy, this is just one of those rare occasions where they actually fight as a team in the New PPG.