Awoo.

The Powerpuff Girls (2016) | A Cartoon Network Original - USA: April 4th, 2016 | UK: April 25th | Escape from Monster Island / Princess Buttercup

Ming Ming Hatsune

Mystery solved! It's another special, this time a CG one!

Should be interesting to see how the PPG world will look in CG.

Hmmm. I did recall someone on the Toonzone forums insisting that this was just a special. I didn't really pay any attention to him, because he was saying the typical "I have a cousin that works at 'X' " excuse, in which no matter what, I always take with a crumb of salt.

I am slightly disappointed that the special will be in CG... I'm so sick of everyone using it. I've always thought 2D animation looked better, especially when it comes to character expressions.

Edited by Emperor Robrainiac

You people are acting pathetic. Seriously? CGI = terrible animation quality? Tell that to Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs or Pixar films. Plus the people behind it (Passion Studios) are behind the Gorillaz music videos, the opening to Beatles Rock Band, and Motorcity.

Cranking my hype to maximum overdrive.

Those are theatrical movies, by PIXAR no less. This is a CGI TV Movie Special. Name five times we've had CGI TV Movies with stellar 3D animation.

Edited by BEN

But who's to say this isn't the one time where it is impressive? You're all jumping to conclusions too quick and wanting to immediately dismiss it like its nothing and you wanna be disappointed or something. Calm your socks, guys. :v

Edited by Azookara

But who's to say this isn't the one time where it is impressive? You're all jumping to conclusions too quick and wanting to immediately dismiss it like its nothing. Calm your socks, guys. :v

I'm calm, because there's nothing to be hyped about. And I highly doubt the animation's going to be impressive. I'm not trying to be pessimistic or anything. I'm being realistic. Just watch, the animation's going to be shit. The WRITING on the other hand could be a completely different story buuuuuuuuuuuuut we'll have to wait and see. I'm not expecting anything spectacular.

Edited by BEN

I'm calm, because there's nothing to be hyped about. And I highly doubt the animation's going to be impressive. I'm not trying to be pessimistic or anything. I'm being realistic. Just watch, the animation's going to be shit. The WRITING on the other hand could be a completely different story buuuuuuuuuuuuut we'll have to wait and see. I'm not expecting anything spectacular.

I dunno, sounds pessimistic to me. tongue.png

I also don't know what there is to not be hyped about. PPG is coming back for a special, featuring Ringo Starr, done by Passion Pictures, with original cast. Is this really 'nothing to be hyped out'? This sounds awesome!!

Edited by Azookara
  • Thumbs Up 4

I dunno, sounds pessimistic to me. tongue.png

I also don't know what there is to not be hyped about. PPG is coming back for a special, featuring Ringo Starr, done by Passion Pictures, with original cast. Is this really 'nothing to be hyped out'? This sounds awesome!!

Quiet you :P

You can throw any celebrity into any movie and it can still be shit. A single awesome celebrity does not a good film make.

Unless it's Christopher Walken.

Passion Pictures? Forgive me but... Who are they again?

The original cast were in the 2008 special too. It was still shit.

I didn't find the special crap, it just felt pressed for time and thus was paced really really really quickly. Also Ringo Starr makes everything better. Did you know he was the narrator of Thomas the Tank Engine? Well even if you didn't you do now. Made it better didn't it. :v

As for Passion Pictures, here you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iBjuv0nRqY.

Please do not redesign them to look more like regular humans aaaauuughhhwwwww

if theres anything I do agree with though its this since that would s u c k

Edited by Azookara

I didn't find the special crap, it just felt pressed for time and thus was paced really really really quickly. Also Ringo Starr makes everything better. Did you know he was the narrator of Thomas the Tank Engine? Well even if you didn't you do now. Made it better didn't it. :v

As for Passion Pictures, here you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iBjuv0nRqY.

if theres anything I do agree with though its this since that would s u c k

That's why I thought it was crap xD.

He was the narrator for Thomas? O_O Did not know that...

Huh, fanceh. Do we know if the special is going to be a nice blend of 2D and 3D or is it just 3D?

I think we can all agree on that.

You people are acting pathetic. Seriously? CGI = terrible animation quality? Tell that to Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs or Pixar films. Plus the people behind it (Passion Studios) are behind the Gorillaz music videos, the opening to Beatles Rock Band, and Motorcity.

Cranking my hype to maximum overdrive.

Thing is though, I've always preferred handdrawn/2D works over CGI, even if it is well animated.  I dunno why I'm so biased like that, but I just prefer how 2D looks over 3D. I never said it was terrible animation quality. Plus I was always wary of the news even when it was thought to be a reboot, considering how disappointing and overly chaotic the last Powerpuff Girls special was.

Though, It would be nice if the short was done in the 2D-esque way as the Beetles Rockband intro. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Huh, fanceh. Do we know if the special is going to be a nice blend of 2D and 3D or is it just 3D?

A 2D/3D blend seems possible, judging by these designs that have been floating around:

Newpowerpuff-girls-580x232.jpg

They aren't 100% confirmed yet, but they do seem to match up with Ringo's character:

Very artsy look. I kinda dig 'em.

Edited by Lone CC of the Apocalypse

A 2D/3D blend seems possible, judging by these designs that have been floating around:

Huh, I ain't even mad about the redesign. In fact, I kinda like it... As long as they have they don't look humanish, I'm fine with any redesign.

I'm sorry, but I hate those. The soft faces but jagged hair just doesn't mesh well at all, and the colors don't seem very vibrant on them.

That is so fricking hideous that my eyes nearly bled.

I hope that's not really what they're going with. Even if the new show did end up actually being good...egh...I don't know if I could get over that.

Looks like Powerpuff Girls as a flash cartoon.

My nightmares have finally been realized.

Hate to backpedal but....yeah, they're really not to bad. Probably because of my 90s nostalgia that I reacted kinda harshly. I still prefer the original designs, but I can get used to this.

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 2

They aren't 100% confirmed yet, but they do seem to match up with Ringo's character:

Very artsy look. I kinda dig 'em.

Wow those heads are fucking huge.

Looks like Powerpuff Girls as a flash cartoon.

My nightmares have finally been realized.

They should've already been realized, since the last special was done in flash. tongue.png Edited by Lone CC of the Apocalypse
  • Thumbs Up 2

To be fair, so were the heads in the originals designs.

EDIT:inb4blindedbynostalgia

HAUDwmRxwRReg6BUwxMHeGeTN4tMtqB0.jpg

The reason it works here is because the eyeballs pretty much absorb the head (You know, one of the key characteristics)

Not to mention the heads are perfect ovals and the hair is fit to the design. These ones just have the hair slapped on there.

and the legs.and arms, are they anorexic now?

These can't be official. I refuse to believe they're anything other than troll art.

Edited by Underaged Hot Anime Girl
  • Thumbs Up 5

walks in

>"Ah gad these designs are hideous"

I'm done bye.

No seriously these are uber adorable. Also ever heard of art style? It exists, its a thing, slight differences and variations don't kill a design, this isn't Sonic people

But yeah I think they look great and theres nothing wrong with them. Sure I love the old designs a lot too but there's like.. nothing wrong with these new ones either, other than them being different. They look like papercraft. It's adorable. Also like Sean said, reminds me of when they were the Whoopass Girls.

Not everyone will like the differences though.

It's great that you like them sure, but I'm just not warming up to these, it's like, different in a bad way to me. Not so sure why we can't dislike them either and then being slapped with an overreaction label.

• Thumbs Up 7