Awoo.

The Powerpuff Girls (2016) | A Cartoon Network Original - USA: April 4th, 2016 | UK: April 25th | Escape from Monster Island / Princess Buttercup

Ming Ming Hatsune

A 2D/3D blend seems possible, judging by these designs that have been floating around:

Newpowerpuff-girls-580x232.jpg

What...the...fuck?!

WHEN'D THEY MAKE BLOSSOM SO GODDAMNED ADORABLE? LIKE, DAMN!

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm not seeing what's terrible about it. It's different, yeah.

We're on the internet. It's different therefore it sucks, man.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't mind the art as a piece of art, but I'm on team 'don't like it' if it's for the show. It's just sketchy and unappealing to me. Of course seeing a sketch or concept art and seeing the realized animation are two pretty different things.

Also I hate the way the hair is going through the eyes.

• Thumbs Up 5

Looks like something from the new Littlest Pet Shop show.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 2

I hope that the popularity of this will spur Genndy on to do a reboot of Dexter's Laboratory and this time actually take part of it unlike the void of the 3rd and 4th seasons (which we know what happened by the way.)

Anyone else thinking that Lauren Faust will jump back on for a couple of episodes with her husband?

EDIT: Whoops, I guess it's just one special.

Edited by Scheming Minor

One special? *sigh* Just when after all these years I thought I can finally turn on Cartoon Network regularly to watch a show. Well, it's better than nothing. ^^

Honestly I think a part of me likes those PPG designs particularly because that's how I basically imagine I would have drawn them myself.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well these designs are quite...jarring.

I guess I wait and see them animated before I fully judge it, but count me in with the group that finds them odd.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ehh... I think Blossom looks okay, Buttercup is meh, meh, and meh, and I don't like Bubbles' hair. It looks ugly and almost like it doesn't belong. What Underaged Hot Anime Girl said: [the] hair [is just] slapped on there.

Edited by BEN

Am I the only one who thinks those character designs look incredibly fake?

But if by some chance they are real, bleh. I don't know why, but Bubbles and Blossom are giving off a  "Valley-Girl" feel to me. Buttercup doesn't look that much better to be honest.

Edit: Imagining those designs in CGI.....ew.

And if the special's suppose to be CGI, then why are they 2D in that picture? Unless it's concept art and not the finalized design, it seems weird for them to draw the artwork as 2D.

Edited by Nintendoga

I actually like those designs, but more from a fan art perspective, not something I'd actually want to see in the show. As for the possibility of CG, I'm still pretty iffy on the idea. CG can be pulled off well, even for a TV only movie, but I feel that the style of the Powerpuff Girls doesn't lend itself to it. It's just one of those things that'll always look better in 2D, at least to me, but if it looks decent enough, I can't complain.

Sure is divisive up in here.

The designs are a hit and miss for me; I like Buttercup's hair, but hate Bubbles` The faces are ok, but I think their bodies are a little disproportionate.

As for CGI.....eh, I guess that's a bit of a turn off for me, but CG has been getting better as far as animated tv shows are concerned(Green Lantern, TMNT, TF Prime) so I'm not as cynical as everyone else in this thread. Kinda said it's just another special tho.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, thanks for saying I'm overreacting and not being logical with my thoughts because I just don't find it appealing.

More detail - They're unsymmetrical, really jagged, the hair is messy, the proportions of their limbs just look jarring because of how thin they are, the way the hair covers the eyes looks jarring and unappealing, and their heads look like misshapen pebbles.

I don't dislike it because it's different, I just think it looks, to be frank, really ugly and unappealing. I love the clean, symmetrical roundness of the original designs. Nostalgia may have a slight part in it, sure, but I think the clean simplicity of it gives it the charm it has. Honestly, I'm not even a biggest fan of the art style of everything else in the original show, but I think the girls' designs themselves look fantastic.

But hey you could just say I hate it because it's different that's totally fair.

• Thumbs Up 9

But hey you could just say I hate it because it's different that's totally fair.

It's DmC all over again.

You could call this show...

PpG.

In all seriousness, I'm definitely in agreement with Diss. To me, it looks like the Powerpuff Girls as drawn by a five-year-old. Even as fan art, I find it hard to appreciate. It's just...hideous.

• Thumbs Up 2

The only thing preventing his from being anything like the DmC fiasco is that we (or at least I) haven't seen any critics calling long time fans a entitled, selfish brats over the changes. Until then, let's distance ourselves from the comparisons.

Honestly, my only issue with the new style is the jaggedness to it, particularly Buttercup in the hair. I dunno, I've just been more used to the smoother lines when it came to this series.

I think the designs look alright but I'd like to see it in motion before I make any real judgement.

I said overreacting because I was shocked at how people could react with such repugnance toward them when I saw the art. Even if I didn't like them I wouldn't find them that drastic of a change from the originals. I'd say comments like "eye-bleedingly hideous" are overreacting, which basically was what prompted me to say it. But it's fine if you don't like the designs.

• Thumbs Up 6

All we know about the animation is that it's CG... No one's saying it uses models, so why are we acting like CG animation and 2D animation are mutually exclusive? It could be 2D CG animation.

I'm kind of baffled by the valley girl comparison- they're far too simply drawn to establish that comparison. I think you're just cramming two things you don't like together.