Awoo.

The Powerpuff Girls (2016) | A Cartoon Network Original - USA: April 4th, 2016 | UK: April 25th | Escape from Monster Island / Princess Buttercup

Ming Ming Hatsune

I have to agree with those who've said their heads look too big. Other than that, the designs aren't terrible but the original designs can't be topped.

I can't say the new designs are the worst thing ever, or even really that bad at all. But when they were so recognisable before, is there really any need for the change? I suppose it at least won't look like Buttercup has a chin strap now.

Buttercup-pic.png

I can't look at the outline around her face and not see a beard, lol.

• Thumbs Up 2

Never actually heard about this until now. Hopefully it's good, as I watched the original PPG when it was on when I was younger (I know it's  a girls cartoon, but... shut up!)

There's no such thing as a girl's cartoon or a boy's cartoon, just good cartoons and bad cartoons.

I loved watching Sailor Moon growing up and still look back on it with fondness.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ehhhhh, I think it's a stretch to claim there's no such thing as a girl cartoon and a boy cartoon. Some are targeted more towards girls than others, and some are targeted more towards boys than others. Doesn't mean both can't enjoy them, but still.

• Thumbs Up 7

Doesn't mean both can't enjoy them, but still.

That's exactly why i think that way. If a cartoon has a good story and likable characters or is just plain funny I will like it regardless of the target genre. I can't really think of something that ever made me not want to watch it cause it had female protagonists or something.

I like the look of the poster a lot. I think the old designs are a tad too smooth and this keeps the spirit of them whilst making them look a little less digital clean cut. 

No way is it a "girl's cartoon" if there even is such a thing. The show is clearly for everyone. The main characters are girls yes but the comedy and action appeals to pretty much everyone- I'm almost certain I remember reading that it rated well across the baord, from adults to kids. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Granted that probably because I'm on my phone instead of my laptop so ill check later but I digress. Is this mean to be a reboot or a one time thing?

A reviving reboot would be nice;lord knows Cartoon Network needs more of a kick in their lineup these days.

I've kinda grown to like these new designs after seeing the poster. It may be just the actual image in itself being quite minimalistic (which I goddamn love by the way) but the designs almost feel like modern re-inventions of the old ones. As long as the script holds up and the animation stays top notch, I think we'll be golden.

Don't like the new designs with the blimp heads, but they could have been worse. I agree with Blue Blood that they didn't really need to change the designs at all with how recognisable they were before. 

Also, yes, Shadzter is also a big Powerpuff Girls fan, who even bought the movie on DVD. Who would have guessed? :P

...So am I the only one who still really doesn't like it? :I

I mean, it just looks...cheap and jagged and choppy and I don't think it's very good. D:

• Thumbs Up 6

...So am I the only one who still really doesn't like it? :I

I mean, it just looks...cheap and jagged and choppy and I don't think it's very good. D:

Nope, I'm with you on this one buddy, these are not the Powerpuff Girls, they are fan redesigns. My only hope is that someone actually wrote a script for this, instead of having characters acting like kids on sugar high and random musical numbers.

Yep, I'm still butthurt over the 10th anniversary special, CN angry.png

I thought this was supposed to be a CGI special?

Either way, it looks even worse in motion to me. Ah well, if Craig's on board, I'm sure it will be good.

Wow, the animation is so fucking choppy that it looks like there was a bunch of framedropping in the editing process.

Are they just trying to make this suck?

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, the animation is so fucking choppy that it looks like there was a bunch of framedropping in the editing process.

Choppy as in what? We saw like a couple 2 second scenes with very quick transitions between them, so I don't see how there was a chance to gauge the fluidity of the animation in full.

Are they just trying to make this suck?

Yes. The writers and animators actually have a deep seated grudge against PPg and actively want everyone to hate it.

You're telling me you couldn't tell how jerky the animation was? They move like they all have a disease that made them lose motor skills over the years.

And why can't I judge the animation on 20 second clips? We litterally did the exact same thing for Sonic 4 Episode 2 and everything noticed about it was in the final product.

Rember the 5 seconds of Sonic walking through a spiral for 1 second in the Teaser of episode 1? Remember how that's basically the game in a nutshell? Why does the amount of time it's on screen make any difference? At all?

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah well, if Craig's on board, I'm sure it will be good.

Powerpuff Girls Rule says Hi. That special was so dumb and insulting it hurt.

Yes. The writers and animators actually have a deep seated grudge against PPg and actively want everyone to hate it.

Well that's what the writers of Powerpuff Girls Rule had, otherwise they wouldn't have taken a giant dump on the tone the series is supposed to have.

What guarantees do I have that it's not the same case here?

1.) It's a compressed web video

2.) Not many of these shots have anything other than slight movement, which doesn't even look that bad

3.) So melodramatic, all of you. 

The choppy thing is some severe BS. Especially based on that clip where nothing looks particularly bad, or out of the ordinary, and all the moving shots pretty much look in line with what the series used to look like. I think a lot of people are just clinging to whatever they can because this is all new and different. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I could buy the compressed video bit if the CGI Sugar and Spice bit played choppy too. But it doesn't.

And fuck me for not liking when things I enjoy get shit on like this.

• Thumbs Up 2

The slight choppiness might have something to do with it being a hybrid of CGI and traditional, TRON Uprising had that occasional quirk, I thinks it's some technique to get the 3D models to appear like they're traditionally animated, it works better in some shots than others, but I got used to it quick, and it's a pretty cool art style, hyped for this.