Awoo.

The Powerpuff Girls (2016) | A Cartoon Network Original - USA: April 4th, 2016 | UK: April 25th | Escape from Monster Island / Princess Buttercup

Ming Ming Hatsune

Never actually heard about this until now. Hopefully it's good, as I watched the original PPG when it was on when I was younger (I know it's  a girls cartoon, but... shut up!)

PPG was a girls show? Sure the protagonists are girls but it was by no means a girly show. It had so much violence and quite a lot of suggestive themes. Anyone can enjoy it really.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm honestly kinda hyped for this. PPG was one of my favorite shows growing up, so I might actually have an excuse to turn on my T.V. again.

That was better. The girls still look like freaks, but everything else is shaping up ok animation wise. This certainly has more quality to it. 

And I can see why they chose CGI/Flash for this style. The CGI is for the roundness of certain scenes, and this style works much better with round than the original series did. 

(Tara strong sounds odd as bubbles though.)

Just watched the trailer expecting to be full of rage and disgust.

And I wasn't. I didn't really see why the new looks are supposed to be "bad".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just watched the trailer expecting to be full of rage and disgust.

And I wasn't. I didn't really see why the new looks are supposed to be "bad".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This trailer was better than the stuff we were handed out during the early days.

Well I can't watch it...is it one of those "This video isn't available in your country" videos?

You need a Facebook account.

I found this one:

Is this it?

Well as long as the characters aren't hyped up on speed it's already better than the 10th anniversary special, and before someone says "Oh the dvd version of that is much better cause they sped it up for the original broadcast" I don't care. CN hyped that special big, it was supposed to be a 10th anniversary celebration after a whole day of watching the series and it was a travesty. Even if the characters didn't talk the way they did, the writing was still stupid, the musical number was out of place and the animation wasn't on par.

Looks a little bit better than the previous trailer, but I'm still anxious. I'm just not used to the way the Girls look. =/

I honestly dislike the design of the PPG, the old ones had a more cartoony artstyle which gave it a sense of charm to me, this design looks like the old ones were incinerated, the remains were mutated and rebuilt to look presentable.

No one is saying the new design of the characters are better (because it's just not) but I still think the new look of the whole special is okay. Definitely watchable and I see no reason why a PPG fan shouldn't watch this. They revived the franchise even if it was for a short while, and even though they changed the look - the pieces, the core of what made PPG awesome in the first place remains.

They didn't even change the voice actors, which I feared the most when they announced this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 1

Man, it's so hard to get used to that new animation style. It'll probably grow on me sooner or later, but the girls look so strange, everyone else looks ok though.

I found the music video to Ringo Star's song for the special. You get a better look of how the animation is going to be. I actually like it. It takes some getting use to, but I like the style better in motion than on a screenshot if you guys know what I mean. It's just a little too over saturated in some parts. That's just me though.

Here's the link:

http://www.avclub.com/article/watch-the-trippy-video-for-ringo-starrs-i-wish-i-w-106741?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=Default:2:Default

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x19b7xx

Preview of the first 4 minutes was released

I can't tell if they sped it up for the preview or if that's really how fast-paced it is. Geezus, that's a bit too quick.

Art style is awesome though. Looks like '50s Golden Books meets papercraft meets 3D models meets your average awesome tumblr art. A little bit too joinky in some areas regarding animation, but it actually suits the style so I dig.

I already really like Fibonacci. He seems flipping hilarious.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly why is this even a PPG thing at all? It does nothing to capture the original show's feel, neither visually nor in writing. The writing is typical from cartoons of today, none of that 90s charm can be seen.

CN has cartoons that are great by being their own thing, like Regular Show and Adventure Time, If they can't replicate what made their golden age fun they should just stop making these specials. It's too different to really be nostalgic and too reminiscent for a newcomer to really know what's going on.

This special has no identity of its own. Is it a new cartoon or a tribute to an old one? Make up your mind CN.

Honestly why is this even a PPG thing at all? It does nothing to capture the original show's feel, neither visually nor in writing. The writing is typical from cartoons of today, none of that 90s charm can be seen.

Other then obviously nostalgia, can you actually explain what you mean by the writing missing 90s charm?  Like should the characters be talking a certain way or should the lines be delivered differently? Im just trying to understand this.

The narrator makes his usual peppy introduction to Townsivlle and you get the typical PPg esque humor of the Narrator snarking to the citizen. The PPg are up to their usual antics are all in character, there's some comical moments during the fight like how it usually goes, and pun here and there...it all just feels like a PPg episode to me, I can't really see how this is somehow alienating new viewers or they could possible be confused to what's going on within the show, as they literraly everything about the show's premise is delivered right at the beginning.

Other then obviously nostalgia, can you actually explain what you mean by the writing missing 90s charm?  Like should the characters be talking a certain way or should the lines be delivered differently? Im just trying to understand this.

I'd say it's both. Look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAkTSyrNzpE

A 4th wall breaking joke at the start, which is a staple of golden age CN, characters deliver their lines straight as if this is actually happening, which helps drawing the viewer into the story, and the jokes are a direct result of each plot point.

In this special however, the characters talk in an over the top way like they know this is scripted and just roll with it, which is unnecessary and doesn't draw me into the world, and the humor is just characters like the Viking lady screaming cause screaming is funny apparently and that dude that just talks about....eh....math?

To me this looks like the writers and directors don't get the Powerpuff Girls, there's no sincerity to how the characters talk. Powerpuff Girls wasn't just about cartoon humor, the characters and stories were charming thanks to how sincerely they were written.

• 2 weeks later...

Ten minutes in and I'm not really liking it all that much.  I've barely cracked a smile watching this.  Oh well, at least they are showing the Mr. Peabody trailer.  Can't wait for that.