Awoo.

Anyone else tired of waiting for the Spin Dash to come back in 3D?

GenesisCodeX

I don't hate the boost, but I certainly miss the fun of revving up into a ball and using the terrain to my advantage. Whenever I play Unleashed or Generations, I have fun but feel something is missing, and it's definitely the lack of rolling. It's not only part of Sonic's image but it's satisfying to know you're going fast because you're good at controlling Sonic in his ball form, instead of going fast because you held down a button. Does anyone else agree with me on this? I'm not sure if the two mechanics can work in unison, so I vote for ditching the boost if that's so, or at least reducing the length of the boost bar. So, what are people's thoughts? :)

I can't see the spindash working in games like Unleashed, because the boost mechanic is so fast. You would have to make the spindash match the speed of the boost, kind of like what they did with classic Sonic's spindash in Generations (which was very fast when released), which might not work.

Games like SA1 was okay with the spindash, because the gameplay feels slower compared to Generations and Unleashed.

I would like to see the spindash return, because it is an iconic part of Sonic The Hedgehog games, which I always liked.

Edited by NightwingFox
  • Thumbs Up 4

I really don't miss it because it's not gone. The 2D games will always have it, as far as 3D games go I can't see it working. Not with what we have now anyway, Just fix the boost and levels and it'll be fine. My opinion anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

Meh, really. I don't care if it comes back or doesn't. All I want is for the gameplay to be good, no matter what play style it is. (For example, Knuckles in SA1 is good but SA2... not so much.)

I am happy with what I have now and if it does return though and if I can use the boost at the same time, I'd rather use the latter than the former.

The Spin Dash Drift is here anyway so what they could do is that you could make it even more tighter and when you are done drifting, you get a small speed up in the direction you stopped drifting for like 2 seconds as you stay in ball form and then lose that speed and become back to normal form again. To keep up that speed, you have to boost about one sec after you roll in to ball form. The boost will be locked for a few fractions of a second to at least show the speed up... Oh and the speed up will be just the same speed of the boost.

Even if they did nothing I said and just developed from what we have in Generations, I am happy.

the spindash has been subsided to the drift function, and when you hit a booster, i honestly think that is the only place for it in the current Gameplay for 3D games, but if SEGA change the gameplay to something new, i'm sure they could bring it back since it's one of Sonic's signature moves.

Edited by Super Soniko
  • Thumbs Up 3

I find the Spin Dash to be a bit loose on control when it comes to 3D.

I would prefer having it in 2D sections, personally. It would serve as a nice balance for Classic and Modern fans. You know, Spin Dash in 2D, and Boost in 3D. Yeah, that sounds like a good balance, doesn't it? :3

• Thumbs Up 1

I find the Spin Dash to be a bit loose on control when it comes to 3D.

I would prefer having it in 2D sections, personally. It would serve as a nice balance for Classic and Modern fans. You know, Spin Dash in 2D, and Boost in 3D. Yeah, that sounds like a good balance, doesn't it? :3

No. I don't want to have 2D in a 3D game.

• Thumbs Up 6

hey i have an idea, what if when you run out of boost completely, you revert to a spindash, so that even if you run out of boost somehow and just get up to a loop, you dont have to walk back for a running start, you can just charge your spindash?

How about make the Boost into a spindash with the boost aura, and you hold the button to get the maximum distance and gradually slow down over time, then revert back to running if you press the button again.

Edited by Chrononego

No. I don't want to have 2D in a 3D game.

Well, I'm just saying, as if this were a hybrid, like Colors.

For a 3D game, I've always preferred having the Boost, because the Spin Dash can be horribly sloppy at some points, from my experience. So, I've never wanted to see the SD return in 3D. I'll always prefer the Boost in 3D.

• Thumbs Up 1

For a 3D game, I've always preferred having the Boost, because the Spin Dash can be horribly sloppy at some points, from my experience.
What, and the boost isn't? If you've found the spindash to be sloppier than the boost, it's got more to do with the game's overall controls and level design than the moves themselves.

Spin Dash has never been implemented well in 3D, and Sega are too damn lazy to try and just opted for the dash without the spin.

I think it'd be neat if they took out the sliding animation and just made it a rolling one. A lot like what they did with the original drifting animation.

• Thumbs Up 2

My mantra has always been this:

Normal Sonic: Spin Dash

Super Sonic: Boost

The boost at its core is somewhat OP. Sonic really shouldn't be able to kill things by ramming them with his face without some emerald juice or an invincibility. That said, I'm not tired of waiting for it to come back. I've given up hope on that. Spin Dash seems to be relegated to the 2D "classic" style gameplay, and I'm ok with that.

• Thumbs Up 8

What, and the boost isn't? If you've found the spindash to be sloppier than the boost, it's got more to do with the game's overall controls and level design than the moves themselves.

Again, I would say that has more to do with the overall controls and design of the games than either the boost or spindash themselves. The Adventure games are a lot more twitchy about horizontal movement, which also applies to moving while rolling, while the modern games make Sonic very stiff at high speeds, including while boosting. The modern games also do a lot more to guide you along the intended path, so if you do lose control there's a better chance that the level will keep you in line.

You know this talk about the boost and the spindash and handling just gave me an idea.

What if the spindash had the drift function? You control Sonic normally while he's running (i.e no drifting) but when he's rolling, his horizontal movement is more stiff like when boosting, and you can use the drift to make tight turns?

Again, I would say that has more to do with the overall controls and design of the games than either the boost or spindash themselves. The Adventure games are a lot more twitchy about horizontal movement, which also applies to moving while rolling, while the modern games make Sonic very stiff at high speeds, including while boosting. The modern games also do a lot more to guide you along the intended path, so if you do lose control there's a better chance that the level will keep you in line.

More about level design, me thinks. Controls never really bothered me. It's how the level design is designed can get in the way. For some odd reason, it was more about the SD and Boost. Call me crazy since I don't know why that happens to me. You have a good point about the controls and level design, and it's design for me because it can either be too crowded with obstacles, or how scripted it is.

"Come back" in 3D? You funny.

The monstrosity that was there in SA1/2 was not the spin-dash, it was something else.

I would LOVE for the spindash to make a return, similar to how it was in SA1. Boosting just doesn't cut it for me.

THIS, for example, is a fun speedrun. (I've actually done 1:05:81 before). Speedrunning in SA uses a lot of glitches, yes, but it also takes an insane amount of skill to be really good, which is I love about it. And speedrunning in this game is so fast-paced.

But if you're not crazy good and can't speedrun while spamming the spindash, it's useful as what it was intended for- an increase in speed that stays true to Sonic's history and is fun to use. There are a lot of things I would change about it to adjust for future games and just make it better in general, but the concept is what we need for 3D Sonic.

Of course, newer levels from the modern games are huge and the mechanics are a lot different. How do we adjust for that?

Make the spindash faster.

Implement a small drift to it.

But most important, keep the "Tap B" on and off feature. B to enter spindash, B to leave, simple as that. (or whatever button is at the bottom or right of the controller)

One thing that could prevent spamming the spindash is this: when you press B, Sonic enters the spindash, and takes a second or two to accelerate to full spin speed. That way, if you spam it, you won't go as fast as if you spindash, roll, run, spindash, roll, run, etc.

Make sense?

Edited by AndrewClocksin

What was so different about SA1/2's spindash that makes it any different than the boost we see today? Aside from the inability to use it in the air, it still takes you from 0 to OMGwooosh at the press of a button. It was so freakishly overpowered in the Adventure series that its more or less the same thing.

• Thumbs Up 2