Awoo.

Anyone else tired of waiting for the Spin Dash to come back in 3D?

GenesisCodeX

SA2 was a little less stupid since you had to come to a dead stop to use it.

For like a quarter second. Boot up Radical Highway and tell me it's not obscenely overpowered.

• Thumbs Up 1

I still think SA2 had a decent spindash.

Well, minus the somersault.

For like a quarter second. Boot up Radical Highway and tell me it's not obscenely overpowered.

Isn't Radical Highway littered with dash panels though?

Edited by Zinos

Isn't Radical Highway littered with dash panels though?

Doesn't matter. The sheer speed of the spindash in both adventures blows the doors so far and away off of the foot-speed pace and has such a low barrier to usage that it might as well be considered as a boost. (in fact, since its unlimited, it could be considered a worst offender than a boost gauge).

Anyone asking for the spindash to make a "return" to 3D Sonic games is asking for little more than a re-skin to the boost we have now.

Edited by Sega DogTagz
  • Thumbs Up 3

Forgot to mention, I never waited for it to come back... As such, I never got tired of waiting.

sonic_adventure_sonic__s_ending_by_gamingmasterernest-d3frfzp.png

Edited by Faseeh

Anyone asking for the spindash to make a "return" to 3D Sonic games is asking for little more than a re-skin to the boost we have now.
Or, y'know, I'm willing to have it fixed and balanced properly?
  • Thumbs Up 1

Chances are tho Sega WON'T fix it, and it'll remain OP and then people will complain about IT and want the boost back. >>; Sega has to prove or show they can FIX the things we have before they go trying to bring back shit.

Then your not asking for a return of the SA spindash and my quote does not apply to you.

I would be interested in having a properly balanced Spin Dash (and rolling physics) as well as some of the extended moveset from the Modern games like the drift, stomp and the wall jump.

• Thumbs Up 1

Then your not asking for a return of the SA spindash and my quote does not apply to you.

No, but when people say Spin Dash, I'm pretty sure they're talking about a balanced one.

No, but when people say Spin Dash, I'm pretty sure they're talking about a balanced one.

Someone brought up SA1/2 Spindash.

I'm just harping on a bogus point.

Or, they could do the same to Boost.

Figure out a way to do so and I might take the suggestion seriously.

Well, I'm no expert, none of us are, but I figure Colours' Boost rarity blended with Generations Seaside Hill quality level design (and even better, of course) would pretty much perfect this aspect of the games. Next up: longetivity.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think this is a good time to repost this in this topic since it seems to fit the discussion best (and it looks like all discussion died in the "Slowing Down Sonic" topic).

I actually agree with the above post.

Sonic in Colors was nicely paced due to not being nearly as boost-centric and a tad slower paced, but suffered due to lacklaster level design. If you can just minimize boost usage like in Colors and then give Generations level design then that's a step in the right direction, especially since it gives room for more ways to gain speed and experience the level rather than blaring the X button all the time.

As for handling what comes between running and boosting, lets, like, say.. bring back the spindash? I'm not even kidding. Make a nerfed spindash (not roll, just a nerfed spindash) that doesn't shoot you that fast (top running speed at most?) and charges a tad slowly but can be slightly used while mobile and has where rolling speeds you up downhill / works as a slide? Would work for when in a pinch and you don't want to feel limited to running around feeling useless without boost energy.

Edited by Azukara
  • Thumbs Up 2

The Spin Dash should be a move that should be used for destroying powerful obstacles and powerful enemies. Also make it as fast as the boost so that it isn't 100% useless.

Well, I'm no expert, none of us are, but I figure Colours' Boost rarity blended with Generations Seaside Hill quality level design (and even better, of course) would pretty much perfect this aspect of the games. Next up: longetivity.

So, combine a limited boost with a really boring level made to be boosted throug? No thanks.

So, combine a limited boost with a really boring level made to be boosted throug? No thanks.

Good point. Hm, I think they should just keep working on level design, Seaside Hill's really was impressive. They're almost there imo, and I'm not tired of waiting for spindash to return because I doubt it will.I would quite like it to happen, though. It's one of his original moves (well, almost)

• 6 months later...

Sorry for the bump, found this while searching if people wanted the Spin Dash back. I certainly do, I'm sick of the boost mechanic. At least the Spin Dash was hold and release- the normal to the ground dictates your speed. With the boost, you just hold a button down to go full speed no matter how steep the surface in front of you. Also it's ridiculously easy to fill up the boost bar, in contrast to the gameplay itself. I don't hate Modern Sonic but I'd enjoy it a lot more if Sonic could have his (arguably) trademark move again. Also, I know you could spam the Spin Dash in SA1 so I guess they could go the SA2 route if it comes back. But even the Spam Dash wasn't as bad as the boost, it still required more skill.

Edited by LightDash

I know you could spam the Spin Dash in SA1 so I guess they could go the SA2 route if it comes back. But even the Spam Dash wasn't as bad as the boost, it still required more skill.

That's debatable. Especially if we are talking spam-dash of SA2's caliber. I don't think it took any skill to charge up a spindash.

Its essentially the same thing as the boost anyway. You could charge one up while running at full speed and release it at maximum velocity after only a split second. The only difference between it and the boost we have today is that instead of holding a button to go fast, you just had to reapply the spam-dash when needed. shoot, however easy it is, at least you have to charge up the boost meter. The spamdash is something that you always had in your back pocket.

What makes the spamdash any better? aside from the obvious nostalgic thematic difference. I don't think there is much.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

That's debatable. Especially if we are talking spam-dash of SA2's caliber. I don't think it took any skill to charge up a spindash.

Its essentially the same thing as the boost anyway. You could charge one up while running at full speed and release it at maximum velocity after only a split second. The only difference between it and the boost we have today is that instead of holding a button to go fast, you just had to reapply the spam-dash when needed. shoot, however easy it is, at least you have to charge up the boost meter. The spamdash is something that you always had in your back pocket.

What makes the spamdash any better? aside from the obvious nostalgic thematic difference. I don't think there is much.

Well, from what I remember from playing SA1/2, the key difference is how you control it. The boost is press button and it goes fast for as long as you hold it down, but during that period, outside of drifting, your control over direction was pretty limited except wherever you were facing, at least until you stopped boosting. This meant that you had to be more precise BEFORE you even hit the button when it comes to facing the right direction because aiming slightly in the wrong direction could send you flying off into a pit or a pack of enemies in the wrong places.

The Spindash, while also spammable, has several differences. First, you could hold your position while spindashing, so you didn't have to worry about going flying off in the wrong direction while you were still charging, unlike the boost where tapping the button would send you flying. Secondly, you still had some measure of control AFTER you released the spindash, and could change direction to some degree while still maintaining your present speed even as it declines.

Third, the spindash looks more hedgehoggy than a torpedo of blue destruction.

Edited by 743-E.D. Missile

I really don't need the Spin Dash to come back, or rolling for that matter, unless they're going to serve to be used in far more novel ways than simply the same exact, untouchable Holy classic mechanics we saw five times in a row, seven if you think Sonic N and Advance are good for anything. I'm just not all that fundamentally impressed anymore with the thought that the ground should be used to dictate Sonic's speed of which rolling in all its forms is essential, especially when you consider that sticking to the ground is indeed at some fundamental odds with the platforming genre in the first place and- as Dogtagz said- I fail to see any significant difficulty threshold for skill in using these manuevers. Does Sonic need to boost forever? Not necessarily, no, but I find a more running and acrobatic-oriented direction for the franchise much more palatable and fun-sounding than a classical retread.

• Thumbs Up 3

I really don't need the Spin Dash to come back, or rolling for that matter, unless they're going to serve to be used in far more novel ways than simply the same exact, untouchable Holy classic mechanics we saw five times in a row, seven if you think Sonic N and Advance are good for anything. I'm just not all that fundamentally impressed anymore with the thought that the ground should be used to dictate Sonic's speed of which rolling in all its forms is essential, especially when you consider that sticking to the ground is indeed at some fundamental odds with the platforming genre in the first place and- as Dogtagz said- I fail to see any significant difficulty threshold for skill in using these manuevers. Does Sonic need to boost forever? Not necessarily, no, but I find a more running and acrobatic-oriented direction for the franchise much more palatable and fun-sounding than a classical retread.

If they translated the classic mechanics into 3d, then why would it be a retread? In 3d it would feel completely different, and it's never been done before in the franchise's history.

Edited by Generations (Chaos Warp)
  • Thumbs Up 1