Awoo.

Slowing Sonic Down

iDEATH

I actually agree with the above post.

Sonic in Colors was nicely paced due to not being nearly as boost-centric and a tad slower paced, but suffered due to lacklaster level design. If you can just minimize boost usage like in Colors and then give Generations level design then that's a step in the right direction, especially since it gives room for more ways to gain speed and experience the level rather than blaring the X button all the time.

As for handling what comes between running and boosting, lets, like, say.. bring back the spindash? I'm not even kidding. Make a nerfed spindash (not roll, just a nerfed spindash) that doesn't shoot you that fast (top running speed at most?) and charges a tad slowly but can be slightly used while mobile and has where rolling speeds you up downhill / works as a slide? Would work for when in a pinch and you don't want to feel limited to running around feeling useless without boost energy.

Edited by Azukara

• 2 months later...

To me, Sonic's extreme speeds in recent Sonic games is the main reason why I don't enjoy anything post-Sonic Heroes. I find him really hard to control... plus, as silly as it sounds it's harder to take in the scenery and the games feel more like a race from start to finish, rather than a platformer.

To me, Sonic's ideal speed was in Sonic Adventure 1 and 2. He was fast, but not unbearably fast that you can't take in the scenery, plus he was much easier to control back then.

Sadly, I don't think SEGA will ever change this aspect of Sonic now sad.png

Making him slower...? I'd rather them not.... That seems more like a downgrade if anything.... I'd say they should improve the general control of Sonic, to where he can run at full speed and still feel like you are in control. Also, I think that the other characters should have a similar handling to Sonic, but have their own unique moves and levels. You shouldn't put all the characters in the same level with the same level design.

Edited by AfroWarrior

Making him slower...? I'd rather them not.... That seems more like a downgrade if anything.... I'd say they should improve the general control of Sonic, to where he can run at full speed and still feel like you are in control. 

What if controlling him properly requires slowing him down?

Edited by Diogenes

I think there should be a bigger focus on making Sonic feel fast instead of flat-out making him fast. Speed's obviously important, but it doesn't matter how refined the controls are if you're moving at insane speeds like Unleashed. It just becomes too much, and it kinda restricts level design by needing to accommodate a player-character that's going to blow through any given part of the "track" in under a second. 

In the old games, Sonic had this sense of weight, so going up and down slopes and through loops felt kinda like a roller-coaster. You didn't just watch Sonic go up a wall, you felt it. While it was a faster game than most platformers, that's where the sense of speed came from, in part.

Since Unleashed, Sonic has gotten so fast he feels like he's about to lift off the ground, and controlling the character boils down to split-second button-pressing in a QTE fashion, since the player can't reasonably be expected to do anything else. 

So yeah, I'd say Sonic needs to be slowed down in order to be controllable, unless they want to keep making Unleashed-style games- which has its own merits, but it's gonna get old if it hasn't yet. 

• Thumbs Up 5

I also felt Sonic's ideal speed was in Adventure. Handling got poorer and poorer with Heroes and Shadow, and I felt '06 was headed in the right drection but it's clear where's Sega's headed now. There's more to Sonic than just being fast, but sometimes I feel like I'm playing a racing game now with platforming minigames sprinkled here and there.