Awoo.

ART: JezMM [Riders Amy/Pirahna Plant Gijinka/2B/Rouxls Kaard]

JezMM

tumblr_mxklhnGYn01s8insfo1_1280.png

This is probably the fastest turn around time I’ve ever had for returning a gift lol. Inferno gave me an awesome Rani gift art, and I wanted to return the favour with his character Pastri and uhh… well I just felt like drawing her a lot sooner than expected.

(Note: the only pictures I had to hand had no shoes so she gets generic sneakers).

And um... *cough*  For anyone who might have seen another version of this picture that I accidentally posted in the status updates for all of 2 seconds earlier this evening, I just wanted to get it out there that it isn't something Inferno asked me to draw, he just very kindly gave me permission to indulge my pervy side with one of his characters there.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

tumblr_my1at577hZ1s8insfo1_1280.png

With Kay taking over annual sexy Santa outfit duties, Alice finally gets a pretty wintertime picture that I feel I've owed her for years.

Also Venus.

(I didn't want to slave over this so the majority of the background is traced from a combination of a photo I specifically took for reference for the foreground, and a photo I took from the London Eye for the background).

Listened to a lot of music of this sort of mood to get this right.  I feel like if I could remake Phantasm Dyad with my knowledge of what plot directions I hate that I wrote myself into, I would have made Venus a regular character who is good friends with Alice.  When I draw hanging-out scenes of them like this that couldn't possibly happen in canon due to the strict scenarios under which Venus has appeared, they usually come from this alternate PD reality I like to think about sometimes.

• Thumbs Up 3

tumblr_my68ewmQy21s8insfo1_1280.png

tumblr_my68ewmQy21s8insfo2_500.png

Katniss from The Hunger Games.  I haven’t read the books, but enjoyed the first movie and absolutely adored the second.  Now I can’t wait for the rest.

To draw Katniss in my usual pin-up-esque way would be to disrespect the tone of the series, so I decided to draw probably the second most tearjerking scene for me in Catching Fire.  I owe it to this song from the soundtrack for keeping the film in my head for the last couple of weeks which lead to me needing to draw some sombre fanart of it.

tumblr_my2wxrLZol1s8insfo3_r1_1280.png

The endless whirlpool of back and forthing between and I continues.  So the backstory is that Inferno often likes to mimic styles when he draws characters not of his own - several bits of gift art he’s drawn me have been drawn very similar to the way I draw the characters.  So he drew me page-8#entry808101 without taking any cues from my style, as if she was a character in his own comic, Frieda.  That’s kind of a tricky idea for me to return though since I pretty much always draw everything completely in my own style, and have already done so with the titular character of his comic, Frieda.  Soooo instead for fun I decided “hey, why not draw Frieda as if she was in my comic - literally”.

So made this, a picture of Frieda in my complete with vector lines and minimalist colouring lol.  And of course, speech bubbles for effect.  I don’t know much about the story of Frieda, but I know as a character she can be hot-headed, and I’m sure whatever hypothetical situation frames this moment can be easily imagined by anyone who’s worked in a food joint or retail.  I admittedly worked a little longer on making the pose look nice than I would for the average comic panel, but if I had made this with the same amount of energy I put into a lone incidental comic panel, it would not be much of a return gift art at all lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey. Absolutely no reason for it, but I felt like having a go at drawing Alice in my own style. What do you think?

post-2021-0-75464200-1388118656_thumb.jp

• Thumbs Up 3

Whooooa what a surprise, dude I love it!  I've never seen Alice drawn in that tone/style before, it's so cool!

Do you have a tumblr or deviantART or anything?  I'd love to share it on my art tumblr (with your permission), reblogging directly from you if possible or just generally sourcing a place where people can see more of your art if such a place exists.

^ Thanks!

tumblr_myhlljraR91s8insfo1_1280.png

Last fanart of the year.  Rosalina's HD look is so purdy in the Smash Bros trailer.

Also did a sexy expressions meme with Kay over on my NSFW blog (new art there generally too).  This is all that is acceptable to show here (but the last two are two of my faves from the meme anyway):

3n7l.png

• Thumbs Up 6

More BioShock Comix

n6gb.jpg

Inspired by this tumblr post.

Also, 'tis the season for justified compilations and staring at your own art a lot.  I've got a proper 2013 summary of my fave work from each month to post on New Years as I usually do, but just collected these together to appreciate my 90% success rate for drawing a fan art each week - an activity that I started a few months ago.

tumblr_myhzc8ZStq1s8insfo1_500.png

tumblr_myhzc8ZStq1s8insfo2_500.png

tumblr_myhzc8ZStq1s8insfo3_500.png

tumblr_myhzc8ZStq1s8insfo4_500.png

tumblr_myhzc8ZStq1s8insfo5_500.png

I believe I only ever missed two weeks and both times were for life reasons, not laziness.  It's been fun and out of all of these the only ones I no longer care for are Olympia, Excel and Daisy, they just didn't quite come out as I hoped/I didn't feel I did them justice and would like to revisit these characters again someday.

For the original full size versions of any of these, just give my fanart tag a browse.

Here’s hoping this time next year I’ll be struggling to fit 52 pieces rather than 14 into a single compilation!

• Thumbs Up 6

End of the year summary!

tumblr_myonzkQUBA1s8insfo1_1280.png

tumblr_myonzkQUBA1s8insfo3_1280.png

tumblr_myonzkQUBA1s8insfo4_1280.png

For details and links to the original pictures, check the spoilers below:

For deviantART links

January: Alice 2013

Still pretty proud of this, it's remained my art-related avatar for a whole year for a reason!  I also got a lot of gift art of Alice in this outfit - I dunno if that's just coz it was my most recent Alice picture for one to use as reference or because people really like the outfit lol.

February: Kay Outfits Project 6/14 - Farmer

This was published on dA in March but created in Feb.  This project of drawing 14 outfits inspired by Left 4 Dead campaigns was a bunch of fun.  I was really pleased with how the clothesless base came out too anatomy-wise, but obviously keeping things sfw here.  This outfit was one of my faves.

March: Witchy 3

Witch is a super fun character to draw because I can give her crazy angular skinny proportions and it never looks weird or off-model on her.

April: Venus by the Sea ...nus

Still really like this though it's a lot more flat looking colour-wise than I felt like it was at the time.

May: Snow and Rani [Commission]

I have no problems with this but it's not one of the most interesting pictures I've drawn either, but May was a slow month otherwise in terms of art consistently in style with my other stuff here.  I really like how Rani's outfit came out and the minimalist city background.  Snow, the girl on the right, belongs to TheTanman, who commissioned it.

June: I Wander You Wonder

I drew a looot of Venus this year.  She's one of my fave girls to draw because she lends herself so equally well to sexy pictures and pretty pictures.  I also started to experiment with minimalist night time cityscapes here.  Simple techniques that imply a lot of detail appeal to me greatly.  I think, while far from perfect, this is some of my best loosely flowing skirts and hair.

July: TSSMA 2013 Album Art Design

My frequent Sonic fanarting days are long over but I find a comfort in rediscovering I CAN still decently draw Sonic characters.  I mean I still struggle with humans at the best of times so it'd suck to no longer be able to draw something that once felt so easy and normal to me lol.  The lighting here was a lot of fun.  As a bit of trivia, the random engraving details on Chaos' flute thinger are all little doodles representing the stages from Sonic Generations.  Zoom right in and you'll see Chemical Plant twisties, City Escape GUN Truck, Spagonia Clock Tower, and some bosses!

August: Zozo

This was a big turning point in rekindling my interest for fanart.  I've tried and failed to draw Zoey in my human style so much over the years, so to finally nail it was a big deal for me.  The missing link to pull it off was exaggerating her hairstyle, making everything bigger, thicker, longer made her finally look "right" where before I was trying to apply this sensible realistic hairstyle to my cartooney giant heads and it was just looking bleh.  I took inspiration from other fanart and The Sacrifice comic to come to this epiphany.

September: Sea Rains and Tea Stains

Still immensely proud of this, very little new to say.

October: Ellie

Another slow month overall, but I really love how the composition of this pic came out.  Even though it's drawn quite simply when you lose the camera blur, I'm pleased with the Clicker too.    I think the biggest deal for me here is I did manage to get her to look more like a kid, considering I draw all my girls with big eyes and such I'm not really sure what I did different but it worked.

November: Obligatory Summer Swimsuit Pic - 2013 Remake

Really glad this came out as well as I hoped it would - remaking what you once considered "my best pic ever" is a daunting challenge because that title tends to stick long after you've improved on it.  But the swimsuit designs, the anatomy variation between characters... it was all pretty self-inspiring to see how far I've come with my art AND design sensibilities.

December: Glow amidst the Snow

Was a tough choice between this and my pervy Christmas pic because I was really pleased with how the anatomy and posing came out in the latter, but decided to go with this.  Even though the background is traced from my reference photos, I'm really proud of how I transformed them into my own environment and mood.

For tumblr links

January: Alice 2013

Still pretty proud of this, it’s remained my art-related avatar for a whole year for a reason!  I also got a lot of gift art of Alice in this outfit - I dunno if that’s just coz it was my most recent Alice picture for one to use as reference or because people really like the outfit lol.

February: Kay Outfits Project 6/14 - Farmer

This was published on dA in March but created in Feb.  This project of drawing 14 outfits inspired by Left 4 Dead campaigns was a bunch of fun.  I was really pleased with how the clothesless base came out too anatomy-wise, but obviously keeping things sfw here.  This outfit was one of my faves.

March: Witchy 3

Witch is a super fun character to draw because I can give her crazy angular skinny proportions and it never looks weird or off-model on her.

April: Venus by the Sea …nus

Still really like this though it’s a lot more flat looking colour-wise than I felt like it was at the time.

May: Snow and Rani [Commission]

I have no problems with this but it’s not one of the most interesting pictures I’ve drawn either, but May was a slow month otherwise in terms of art consistently in style with my other stuff here.  I really like how Rani’s outfit came out and the minimalist city background.  Snow, the girl on the right, belongs to Tanman, who commissioned it.

June: I Wander You Wonder

I drew a looot of Venus this year.  She’s one of my fave girls to draw because she lends herself so equally well to sexy pictures and pretty pictures.  I also started to experiment with minimalist night time cityscapes here.  Simple techniques that imply a lot of detail appeal to me greatly.  I think, while far from perfect, this is some of my best loosely flowing skirts and hair.

July: TSSMA 2013 Album Art Design

My frequent Sonic fanarting days are long over but I find a comfort in rediscovering I CAN still decently draw Sonic characters.  I mean I still struggle with humans at the best of times so it’d suck to no longer be able to draw something that once felt so easy and normal to me lol.  The lighting here was a lot of fun.  As a bit of trivia, the random engraving details on Chaos’ flute thinger are all little doodles representing the stages from Sonic Generations.  Zoom right in and you’ll see Chemical Plant twisties, City Escape GUN Truck, Spagonia Clock Tower, and some bosses!

August: Zozo

This was a big turning point in rekindling my interest for fanart.  I’ve tried and failed to draw Zoey in my human style so much over the years, so to finally nail it was a big deal for me.  The missing link to pull it off was exaggerating her hairstyle, making everything bigger, thicker, longer made her finally look “right” where before I was trying to apply this sensible realistic hairstyle to my cartooney giant heads and it was just looking bleh.  I took inspiration from other fanart and The Sacrifice comic to come to this epiphany.

September: Sea Rains and Tea Stains

Still immensely proud of this, very little new to say.

October: Ellie

Another slow month overall, but I really love how the composition of this pic came out.  Even though it’s drawn quite simply when you lose the camera blur, I’m pleased with the Clicker too.    I think the biggest deal for me here is I did manage to get her to look more like a kid, considering I draw all my girls with big eyes and such I’m not really sure what I did different but it worked.

November: Obligatory Summer Swimsuit Pic - 2013 Remake

Really glad this came out as well as I hoped it would - remaking what you once considered “my best pic ever” is a daunting challenge because that title tends to stick long after you’ve improved on it.  But the swimsuit designs, the anatomy variation between characters… it was all pretty self-inspiring to see how far I’ve come with my art AND design sensibilities.

December: Glow amidst the Snow

Was a tough choice between this and my pervy Christmas pic because I was really pleased with how the anatomy and posing came out in the latter, but decided to go with this.  Even though the background is traced from my reference photos, I’m really proud of how I transformed them into my own environment and mood.

I also did a NSFW summary that can be found on deviantART (partially censored but still NSFW) or my NSFW blog/Pixiv (uncensored).

Also, final art of the year before I posted those:

tumblr_myn5fxf3f91s8insfo1_1280.png

Really just wanted to draw a butt, and Witchy from L4D was the lucky girl chosen.  Uncensored version is on deviantART though it is just a butt.

• Thumbs Up 2

tumblr_mz76xh79Tz1s8insfo1_1280.png

Phosphora from Kid Icarus Uprising.

dm0h.png

2014 version of the mascot I made for the Hourly Comics Day topic.  This is the version I've posted on my personal art sites, sans the montage backdrop of comic pages from last year (which took me about as long as the initial picture I hope you guys appreciate the effect).

tumblr_mz7i9mT8bj1s8insfo1_500.png

A non-SSMB friend of mine drew me a little doodle of Venus and I liked it enough to give it a little colour jobby.

• Thumbs Up 6

tumblr_mz76xh79Tz1s8insfo1_1280.png

Phosphora from Kid Icarus Uprising.

OMG you drew my KI:U waifu

I'm so happy

No but seriously I really like this, it's really good. 

• Thumbs Up 1

tumblr_mzdg342nrI1s8insfo1_1280.png

Natalie for ProfessorZolo!  Wanted to draw you some gift art in return for your sketches for me for a while and then you unleashed this cutie.  I kept the greyscale "colouring" layered so I can easily colour this if you let me know what her colours are (didn't want to ask before posting and spoil the surprise).

tumblr_mz8miiU9QH1s8insfo1_1280.png

Mollfie and I's cat Kitty, upon Mollfie's request.

tumblr_mzb449hsZB1s8insfo1_1280.png

And gift art of a friend's character who isn't on SSMB.  Not so pleased with how this one came out, mainly the everything below her boobs came out a bit off, but I'm pleased with the upper half and overall feel of the image.

• Thumbs Up 3

Haha, oh wow! Really nice surprise! Thanks a bunch man.

Looks great as-is, but if you WANT to colour it, then there is her old design's colour scheme to lift from? http://fav.me/d31k3nv

As for the third pic... You've gotten really good at doing that shine thing. The left leg (her right) does have this odd lack of foreshortening though.

Glad you liked it!  Oh and I agree on the foreshortening problem too.  I used a photo ref and blargh some things just look fine in photos then you copy them exactly and they look wrong.  I was having an off day when I drew that so I decided to just accept it and finish.

tumblr_mzh1pteMyU1s8insfo1_1280.png

Gave it a quick colour jobby.  Normally when I publish greyscale stuff as "finished" I always think a coloured version will somehow not have the same impact but... nah I personally prefer it coloured.  Funnily enough I did actually give your gallery the stalker treatment seeking any old pictures, and when I saw that Naomi pic I made an educated guess that it was who eventually became Natalie - buuuut I decided to not risk it since I had no idea how much you might've changed her beyond the humanness.  Still glad to know my instincts were right lol.

That piece in particular aside, what do you folks think of how I've been doing way more soft-shading over cel-shading lately?  If you have a dA account feel free to just vote in this poll, or lemme know here if you have any particular opinion.

• Thumbs Up 4

tumblr_mzizcb9pdP1s8insfo1_1280.png

Brie and Forq for Inferno from his new comic Cheesecake Odyssey.

tumblr_mzknu36OPO1s8insfo1_1280.png

Zoey and Charger from Left 4 Dead.  Requested by Solkia on tumblr

tumblr_inline_mzkncwB3I81qgese5.png

Improved upon and drawn by myself

tumblr_mzmopcUsOx1s8insfo1_1280.png

Venus and Laura.  Just a bit of a mess around session while listening to Sally Shapiro.

And finally, APPARENTLY there's a meme thing going around on tumblr in which you show off excerpts of images at 100%, the size you work at.  Here's some of mine: 1 2 3 4 5

• Thumbs Up 8

tumblr_mzxgyjUR9R1s8insfo1_1280.png

tumblr_mzxgyjUR9R1s8insfo2_500.png

Misty in scenes with her hair down was very important to 11 year old Jez.  Here she is made conveniently aged-up curvier for 24 year old Jez coz that’s the sort of mood I was in tonight.

I sort of intentionally used overly bright colours for fun since I wasn’t hugely into my weekly fanart concept today and wanted to mess around just a touch.

• Thumbs Up 9

• 2 weeks later...

Doh been neglecting this topic.

tumblr_n067o0THwV1s8insfo1_r1_1280.png

Milestone picture getting 100 followers on my art tumblr.

tumblr_n074k2xAQF1s8insfo1_1280.png

tumblr_n074k2xAQF1s8insfo2_1280.png

tumblr_n074k2xAQF1s8insfo3_1280.png

A thing Kitty does that entertains me.  She'll sleep flat on the ground and it takes her face like a whole minute to reshape itself.

tumblr_n0aierujCb1s8insfo1_1280.png

A minimalistic Knives Chau because I wasn't feeling inspired last Fanart Friday.

tumblr_n0doalo4Y71s8insfo1_1280.png

And of course I took part in Hourly Comics Day as usual.  You may have already seen my comics in the relevant thread, but if not, click here to read on deviantART or here to read on tumblr.

I did a new pic I'm pretty proud of last night but I hate doing too much art in one post (partly coz if people like it I have no idea what they like lol).  (I'll post that separately after the 2 day double post limit or someone replies, whichever comes first, I don't want it sharing space with these mediocre "filler" arts lol).

• Thumbs Up 2

tumblr_n0gflelmwC1s8insfo3_1280.png

(Click for larger size or view proper size on dA here)

Obviously been in my avatar for a few days but here's a Valentines Day lingerie pic of Venus.  Also accompanying silly comic from my personal silly non-canon universe where Venus is not dead and a lot more aggressive in her interests in Alice:

tumblr_n0gfpcwOO61s8insfo1_500.png

tumblr_n0gfpcwOO61s8insfo2_500.png

tumblr_n0gfpcwOO61s8insfo3_500.png

I also recorded myself drawing the picture if anyone's interested.  At least check out about 9 mins in, I'm kinda proud of the trick I used to construct the chocolate box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYL-9KbWUmE

(Wow nice job with that preview image youtube lol).

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 4

Nice work, as usual. I could see that joke coming a mile off though! :V

If you want Venus back, why not just write her back into the comic? I'm sure you could come up with some reason for her to return.

Aaand just finished watching that video. Interesting looking at how people work. Sorta lost me with all that window switching. What's with that?

• Thumbs Up 1

Nice work, as usual. I could see that joke coming a mile off though! :V

If you want Venus back, why not just write her back into the comic? I'm sure you could come up with some reason for her to return.

Aaand just finished watching that video. Interesting looking at how people work. Sorta lost me with all that window switching. What's with that?

Thanks!

Regarding Venus returning in PD, ehhh, unsatisfied as I am with them, I really don't wanna undermine the two times she died already.  If I think of a way to get her back in I will (it wouldn't be IMPOSSIBLE later on very near the end due to story reasons but there's no role for her yet in what I have planned - but the finale is all pretty vague in my head, I have an ending and particular plot points that have been foreshadowed and must happen, so plenty of time for me to mull over it).  However I will be doing an extra episode involving her in the near future but it will be set long before she ever met Alice and Chin and feature her exclusively.

Oh and window switching?  I only went back and forth between two programs near the end there.  That was due to me layering up the backgrounds since I only know how to adjust RGB colour levels (how I added that extra touch of pink lighting near the end) on Paint Shop Pro.  As I worked I decided I didn't want the window and wanted to just have the bed texture fade into the city backdrop since it was kinda surreal already.

As I did though, I discovered I had accidentally done what was originally meant to be the bed's reflection on the same layer as the glows from the city lights... long story short I had to redo the bed texture and the glows to cover up the lack of lights below the point where the window originally was, which is why I switch back and forth between SAI and PSP a lot near the end.  After reworking the backgrounds to put into PSP and do the blur effect on the city and the RGB adjustment on Venus, the bed and the chocolates, as well as adjusting lighting/blur to focus on Venus in the middle of the pic with the slight spotlight effect, I then switched back to SAI one more time before the end there just to add a few more random pinkish glow spots all over for pretty and to eliminate any remaining masses of negative space around her.

JezMM, just wanted to say, great stuff! I like your art style, like how there's a 'theme' to it, and I especially like how the women you draw are Western or slightly Sonic-universe looking, it's a refreshing change from all the anime art out there. it has a real 'human' quality to it. great job.

Also, I love your 24 hour comics, the Mario one, the Autumn one, I guess we share a sense of humour, lol :)

Anyway, just wanted to say keep it coming. Also, any lingerie pics won't go astray :P

- Spike

• Thumbs Up 1