Awoo.

Moments in Games that make you Panic! Fear! Worry! *NEW Repulsive!* or just Holy Sh*t!

Danj86

I might also add that I tend to panic whenever I confront an adversary who keeps teleporting around an arena, regardless of what type of game I'm playing.

Anything that involved death on a short timer sequence used to scare me as a kid. This includes drowning countdowns, chasing monsters/walls and crushing ceilings. As in, I would panic and ask someone else to do that section. It's funny because now I enjoy a lot the tension these situations can provoke and look forward to them.

Nowadays my biggest fear is unskippables. Tutorials, cutscenes, frigging text boxes. The very thought of opening yet another Zelda chest and having to scroll down for five paragraphs of shit I already know (or could deduce because I completed my preschool education, thank you very much) fills me with the utmost of terrors.

Oh, and Amnesia. The whole of it. NOPE.

Edited by Dobkeratops
  • Thumbs Up 2

The entirety of MGS2 from the Arsenal Gear segment to the end.

Up until that point I never really got around to realizing how the game was in effect a retread of the first game. After I escape in complete nude I'm left to wander without gear and sneaking around the RAY cargo hold while haunting ambient music plays like I'm tripping on some sort of LSD. Suddenly I get recurring calls from the Colonel shouting incomprehensible gibberish and one where his conversational picture suddenly turns into that of a skull. When I finally meet up with Snake he says he'll be fine covering his own because of a bonus item from the first game that gives him infinite ammo. After that we finally thrust ourselves into battle.

FissionMailed-1.jpg

Oh wait- maybe not. What the fuck is going on

So like, after I fight 25 Metal Gear Rays everyone's suddenly betraying each other left and right, Liquid possesses Ocelot and escapes with Snake on his coattails, Arsenal crashes into Federal Hall and I'm left alone to battle Solidus.

But then the Colonel finally gets back to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_W4EV-ikJY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS9sWYop2UE

What follows is basically 10 minutes of an AI Colonel and Rose telling me on Codec that a controlled Big Brother society is a necessary evil because of how people like me are stagnating society, but in effect that's merely the front for what really is a huge "fuck you" speech about how much I, the player, suck. How much the game genuinely hates me for playing, why I should stop, that I'll never get to be Snake, why sequels suck, why this game sucks and why I'm a terrible piece of shit that's the cancer killing games.

It was essentially Kojima's utter contempt against people for hounding him to make a sequel and to play as Snake again. It was the first time I actually felt uncomfortable playing a game - it did everything it possibly could to not want me to play it. It's probably the only game I've played that gives off the feeling that it hates me for playing, and that alone kind of scares me.

And it also gives me a shit ending for it finishing it.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Synopsis/MetalGearSolid2SonsOfLiberty?from=Main.MGS2Ending

• Thumbs Up 3

Panic: Doing any stealth section in any game and being discovered by the enemy. The most recent example of this in my gaming life has been the stealthy bits in the first Call of Juarez game; sneaking into a patrolling trigger-happy farmer's house, nicking his saddle, sneaking upstairs, going onto the balcony, lobbing it into his field,then watching out for him in the yard below as I try and sneak back inside. He saw me, the actiony music came on, and I got so panicky thinking he was going to run into the house, up the stairs, catch me and shoot my face off. I'm lucky he didn't come up and 'lost' me.

Fear: Resident Evil 4's prison island and the Regenerators in held. Absolutely terrifying.

The Shadow Temple in Zelda OoT always creeped me out. And the Bottom of the Kakariko Well. It's the combination of the eerie music, atmosphere and enemies. There's torture devices in both locations such as guillotines, whipping posts splattered with blood and walls that even talk to you about "Hyrule's bloody history of greed and hatred"

Why the heck is there multiple chambers beneath that well containing invisible walls and floors? WTF is up with that green puddle at the lowest level with skeletal arms sticking out of it? And how the hell did that Dead Hand get there? It's even said by the old man in Kakariko Village that a house used to stand on the location of the well that belonged to a man that could see the truth. Did this man have secret torture chambers beneath his house where he'd perform horrible acts? Was this man executed for some reason and did he become Bongo Bongo? Did the Lens of Truth that you find there belong to him? SO MANY QUESTIONS. The implications ramp-up the scare factor.

And the Shadow Temple itself...brrrrr. I never ever set foot in that place without the Lens of Truth and the Song of Storms glitch.

Edited by Vertekins

Just though of a 5th type of fear. I imagine it would be often accompanied by fear or panic. It is repulsive or being repulsed.

Repulsive - Arousing intense distaste or disgust.

Princess.png

TimeSplitters: Future Perfect - Princess

You know what I'm talking about, right? When your faced with something like a monster or an act that is so disturbing, you can only react with a "UEGH!"

My biggest had to be from TimeSplitters: Future Perfect. It also has to be the biggest ugly monster I've ever seen in a game. Princess?...what an ugly mofo...and pretty annoying to beat, it's hard to aim at explosives stuck to the things head when it's breathing flames at me, while flaming bats and other flying crap get in the way.

​With that being said, has anyone faced something on a game that gave you all 5 of the fear emotions mentioned? Panic, Fear, Worry, Repulsive & Holy Sh*t.

I've already got mine, although I could've also chosen that very level of TimeSplitters, with Princess. I decided to pick a certain character from an earlier game.

The Ultimate Change of Underwear - All five emotions brought together.

Phantomart.jpg

Devil May Cry - Phantom

With already having a phobia of any creature with more then 4 legs. The sight alone is enough to induce fear and repulsive. So having reluctantly taken part in a battle to the death, I win and I assume that's it. However, as I progress though the game, a simple fact slips my mind. Phantom escaped after the fight, he was never properly defeated. I wouldn't remember this until later, enter the holy sh*t and panic moments. I'm walking alone an empty corridor that suddenly gets crowded as Phantom busts in and starts chasing me! Damn! Back! Get back!! I managed to make it to the next room and there is no sign of Phantom in here...am I safe? Where did he go?? Worry mode activated! Now I have no idea when he's gonna show up again, but I'm convinced he will. (He does.)

Even when Dante finally finishes Phantom off, it still wont be the last time you see him...

What about you...?

Shadow of the Colossus is entirely designed to make you panic, fear, worry and yell "Holy shit" when you finally come face to face with its colossi for the first time.

Repulsive, eh?

Seriously, though...

Dead-Space-2-Eye-Surgery1.jpg

The cruelest part about this scene was that since it's an interactive mini-game, you're basically forced to watch.

Edited by SuperStingray

So you're Mario, and you're trying to figure out why Noki Bay is so polluted. You're told that the problem is located deep underwater, but you've got scuba gear and a water jet pack. No biggie. Just a quick plunge down the waterfall to the underwater gorge and you'll take care of this qui-wait what the fuck's that.

eGVkbHFmMTI=_o_super-mario-sunshine-walkthrough-22---quirky-eel.jpg

Oh. HELL. NO.

And then the bastard just SWOOSHES right up to you, and opens it's gaping maws, and sometimes even swallowing you whole, and all the while you're running out of air, just vndslvnslndsnls

Mario games just has that "hold me ;A;" factor to them sometimes.

Edited by Joshua
  • Thumbs Up 2

Is it cheating that I'm using the classic Splatterhouse games for this?

Worry

The third game is one of the only titles in the series to enforce a timer. When time runs out, something awful will happen to Rick's family, such as Jen being eaten from the inside-out by the Deadly Spawn or David being sacrificed by the Dark One.

Panic

After you save Jen from the Dark One in the second game, he decides that you'll make a more suitable trophy seeing that you wear the Terror Mask and begins to chase you.

FEAR

In arguably the highlight of the first game and the series, you find that something terrible is going on with Jen after you destroy the Evil Cross/Nightmare in stage 4. After going through the entirety of stage 5, you find Jen surrounded by monsters, which then leave. Waking up she shouts "My Darling!" and then this happens:

spla0095.pngspla0098.pngspla0044.png

It gets worse in the PC Engine version when she cries "Help Me!" just before she transforms the first time. Throughout the fight she keeps reverting back to human saying something along the lines of "I can't do it!" or "Please kill me!" before turning back into a demon. After killing her she chillingly thanks you and crumbles to dust. That is cruel, vile, disturbing, and way past fucked up, to quote Derek Alexander.

But it gets worse!!! (Which doubles as OH SH*T!!!!)

After destroying Herzelied and making your way through the now burning woods of the mansion, Henry West finally decides to make an entrance, as an Eldritch Abomination!!!!

spla0051.png

Edited by Tailikku

While this doesn't bother me near as much nowadays, there was always one part in a certain game that game that creeped my nine year-old self out;

The Lavender Town arc of Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow.

Think about it for a second. Up until that moment, the tone of the story was lighthearted and whimsical. Here you are, as someone else said in this topic, trying to be the very best like no one ever was. You travel with your Pokeymanz, beating trainers and earning Gym badges, all the while being annoyed at your rival for always staying one step ahead of you. Then, once you beat Lt. Surge, you traverse though Rock Tunnel. You come out. Still, everything's just fine, no cause for alarm.

And then suddenly, you hear this;

And all of a sudden the game takes on a completely different tone. You've got Team Rocket outright killing Cubones to sell their skulls. You've got a massive graveyard with not as uneasy, but still creepy music in the background. You've got Chancellors running around possessed by ghosts (one even desires blood). And there's the fact that said ghosts can only be fought if you get a Silph Scope in Saffron, otherwise your own Pokemon will be too afraid to attack. You've got a Cubone who's mother was killed by Team Rocket, and you have to battle it in order to bring its spirit to rest.

All this accumulates into an atmosphere completely different from any other portion of the game, making it no wonder that it has stuck with fans who have been with the series since the beginning.

I mean come on, you can't tell me you didn't turn the volume down when you got to that point. You just can't.

• Thumbs Up 3

I mean come on, you can't tell me you didn't turn the volume down when you got to that point. You just can't.

I connected my gameboy to a stereo system when I got here.

As for me....I would say in RE4 when I had to face the regenerators and my sniper was out of ammo, I spammed my hand gun and hoped I was hitting those tiny parasites.

RE5 in Chapter 5-2 I think it was...in that hall of lickers, pretty much all of my guns were out of ammo except my weak handgun. I walked and walked to get by them and somehow one of them notice me. I got slashed a few times before finally making it to the exit. And recently in RE6 when you have to grab a small card from a corpse in Jake's Chapter 2 with Mr. Sunshine (Ustanak) literally inches away from me, that stupid patrol bug nearly got me killed there (which also alerts Ustanak of your presence).

tumblr_m9q69lvOQC1rfqufmo1_500.gif

The Dead Hand enemies in OOT. The Redeads never scared me, but these things are pretty terrifying!

Also, when I first saw this cutscene:

As I didn't know what would happen next!

EDIT: Just remembered this one from Sylvester and Tweety: Cagey Capers (Mega Drive):

0.jpg

In one of the last levels Tweety turns into this and chases you, and while this happens creepy music starts to play...

This scared the shit out of me as a kid and I still find it creepytongue.png

Edited by Guest