Awoo.

Sonic games you still play and why

PerfectChaos

Apologies if something like this exists, but if it does I couldn't find it.

Which Sonic games do you still play from time to time?

Here are mine...

Sonic 3 + K:

Because it manages to feel like a big adventure despite being really small. Also, the special stages were great, the levels were quite big, and the music was pretty good. Also, there are some fun glitches.

Sonic Colo(u)rs:

Because the levels were really fun and so were the wisps, the soundtrack was among the best the series has ever had along with Unleashed, (a huge feat really) the visuals were stunning and the 2D gameplay surprisingly good when you consider Modern Sonic's moveset (Homing attack removes precision attacks, Boost removes enemy threats, etc.)

Hearing Planet Wisp's hugely inferior and slightly inferior remixes (Act 1 and Act 2 in Generations respectively) in Generations makes me want to play it again, even if just for the music. Also one of the reasons I play Unleashed, but I don't play that much anymore, and I never play the Werehog stages.

Sonic Generations:

Goes without saying, right? I honestly think every genuine Sonic fan (not the hateful kind, the fandom kind) should at least admire Generations.

It has a fantastic soundtrack, representing Sonic's consistency with delivering auditory bliss. I often play it just for this.

And absolutely mind-blowingly beautiful graphics. Seriously, these levels look so gorgeous it's unbelievable. Every bit as lovely as Unleashed.

Oh, and the gameplay is incredibly fun, enough so to keep me returning. Modern Sonic gameplay and level design has been greatly improved, and if all future levels can match Seaside Hill, I think Sonic Team can move onto perfecting the other aspects. (longetivity, playable characters, etc.)

The only notable problem in this area (to me, at least) is Classic Sonic - physics imperfections aren't the end of the world and don't stop it being fun, but they're often annoying, particularly when rolling is so crappy and useless, and Spindashing is game-breaking. I don't mind imperfect physics but this was excessively inaccurate.

I know some people dislike aspects of Generations, but weighing in all of the above, it's hardly a bad game by any stretch of the term.

But anyway, what Sonic games do you still play and why?

Sonic Battle- Mainly because I love the art style and the story imo is one of the BEST sonic stories told period. That and I FINALLY get a sonic game I can do actual COMBOS.

Sonic adventure 2- Has the second best story imo in a sonic game, and well it's damn fun to play.

Sonic Unleashed- So fast... so good. Eggman's last battle with weresonic is fucking off the chain.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic CD. I love finding new ways to time travel and sometimes I'll do stuff like play the level backwards in the bad future...Apart from that all the other Classics and Sonic Advance 1 because they are awesome and being on handhelds extremely accessible.

I usually stop playing a game when I'm done with the main story and only play missions and the likes for trophies on the PS3, but from time to time when I'm bored I usually play Sonic 3&K on the DS collection or replay some of the Generations stages for nostalgia or to admire the beautiful visuals.

Edited by Tmsp

Sonic Colors, mostly because I love the game and also because its the only Sonic game that's readily available to me other than Secret Rings, and Secret Rings is......bleh.

I will often play Sonic 1-3K for their fun, addictive gameplay style, and in the case of the latter two, the optional playable characters. The Sonic stages in Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 (and Tails and Shadow's levels in the respective games) I also play for similar reasons. I also still play Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Generations, as I find their gameplay styles to be very well done and fun like the classics, even the Werehog's levels, which I don't play as much as Modern/Classic Sonic's stages but still manage to get a lot of enjoyment out of. I also play Sonic CD 2011, mostly because playing the game as Tails makes the game a lot more enjoyable.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles: it is as close to perfect as you can get. I play is over and over again. I do play the other classics occasionally, but only S3&K do I play all the time, Nothing against them, but I don't even look for alternate routes in them. Still fun, though.

Sonic Adventure: i think it is really fun, minus big. It just REALLY, REALLY sucks that I can't use my completed file to replay the story. I hate that I can't just pop the disc in and play through Gamma or Knuckles' story, for example. I have to re-unlock them by starting a new filem.

Sonic Adventure 2: I think this is a really good game, I think it gets way more hate than it deserves, but that is a different discussion. Unlike SA1, I can freely replay the stories. Plus, I think the controls are better. I happen to enjoy the treasure hunting and mech, so the genre roulette never bothered me.

Colors: not as much as the others on this list (would be played a lot more if I could play it on my 360), but I still have a lot of fun with it. I don't like the wisps that much, but everything else is fun.

Generations: I don't like the bosses, but I do enjoy replaying the main levels. (SEGA, Y U NO SELL DLC???)

Edited by Mr.Snarf
  • Thumbs Up 2

Sonic 2 has always been my go to classic game out of habit. I feel like it's the easiest to just jump into and blaze through without having to spend too much time. 3D Blast for Genesis often gets replayed when I'm in a "I want to play something different and quirky because I'm sick of all my other games atm," and then Unleashed is my favorite go to for just running 3D Sonic levels at ease. I'd say Generations, but I find I only play like, 3 stages and then turn it off.

• Thumbs Up 2

S3&K

Still the best.

SCD '11

CD's still got some fiddly bits, but the remake's got pretty much the best classic Sonic engine of anything Sega's put out. It's a good 2D Sonic close at hand, and that's kind of a rarity.

Sonic Colors

Ehh...it's not great. But it's a (purportedly) 3D Sonic that's not buggy or dated and not based around boosting, which makes it sort of the only one of its kind.

I've been considering playing through Rush Adventure again, though I haven't yet and it's been a while since I last played, so it's not really one I "still play". Also I might load up Sonics 1 or 2 from time to time...

Generations:

Mainly because it's usually in my 360 and I get my S3&k, Unleashed and SA2 urges done in one sitting. Plus City escape Modern remix is soo friggin sexy!

I would love to go back through Unleashed though. I mean DAT speed was un matched in any game and just breaking the game with snake drifting is too sexy to ignore.

Edited by Eternal X

Sonic 1-3&K: Only go back to play them with Debug mode if I'm bored.

Sonic Adventure: I will play this at least once a-day to play Sonic and Tails' levels.

Sonic heroes: only if I feel like it.

I've recently played the hell out of Sonic CD on Steam, and I love it! :D

I also realised that I had the old PC version, complete with jewel case and whatnot, so it had the US soundtrack... so this time I played it with the EU/Japanese soundtrack. Both are fantastic.

I haven't played Sonic 3 & Knuckles for a while, but I do still love that game.

Sonic 2: Love it! I can go through it fast (or more like fast to the Wing Fortress Boss then lose all my lives and die (I know I suck, you don't need to tell me)). I know those stages inside and out, since I've been playing this since I was five. The stages never get old.

Sonic 3: I've played this game so many times with my sister it is not even funny (ok, maybe it is funny, but that's besides the point). Collaborating with her is always enjoyable; all those secret places you can get to when Tails flies you, I am obsessed with. Every time we get to one, I make her fly me up there. If we pass it, we go back. I love finding EVERYTHING.

Sonic Adventure: These hubworlds are so fun to explore, and the stages are so wide and open. You feel free. Even being in a cave in Lost World, or underground in Red Mountain, the areas still have many places to roam.

Sonic Adventure 2: I'm just one of those weird people who seem to like SA2 A LOT. The soundtrack is amazing, and the levels are still a bit challenging to this day. I really don't mind the Treasure Hunting stages; I find them fun. Except for Mad Space of course, but I think we all agree on that one. Anyways, my sister and I have actually memorized where the Emeralds are in Security Hall for 2P. We would get a clue and know where it is. Yeah, that was some useless info there.

The Tails stages aren't too bad, but I don't like them that much. But Eggman's... uh. That's all I can say about that.

Sonic Heroes: Am I the only one that still plays this? I think the whole team idea was good. I call Tails my Death Machine. Three level ups and there you go. Walking (or flying) Death Machine.

The levels are very creative, with the big mushrooms and all. I thought they were fun, and I don't see them as a 'STOP GO' thing. Except for Power Plant, but that was the point of it. Never my favourite stage.

The acceleration in this game was... unrealistic. I thought it was pretty cool. It does sometimes get annoying, but if you get hit, you can just jump up again and get fast quickly.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Adventure 2: It's pretty much my go-to Sonic game. Definitely my favorite. It's just so much fun, so nostalgic (for me, at least), I love the story, and replaying it seems worth while when it comes to raising Chao.

Sonic Shuffle: Yeah, yeah, I know, no one likes this game. But I do! It's really one of the only fun, more-than-two-player-multiplayer Sonic games. I always play it with my brothers when we're all together because all 3 of us can play at once! Though I really wish it had more than 5 game boards and more mini-games. But maybe it's just because I play it so much that I feel that way. :P

Sonic 3&K: My favorite classic game, so it's no question as to why I always go back to it. There are so many levels, and I love the special stages, so it really never gets old!

Sonic Generations: Especially the 3DS version. Since I don't have a game system here at college except my computer and my 3DS, most of my Sonic fixes come from Generations. And I love seeing so many of my favorite stages all bundled up into one game, hence why I love the console version, too.

Sonic Adventure: I just love messing around in the adventure fields. Nothing beats roaming around in the Egg Carrier and sitting in Eggman's captain's chair. :P

Ok, wait. There are a lot of games I still play so I'm just gonna stop here.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Adventure 2: I played it eleven years ago and loved it, and I still love it today. No details because I won't stop.

Sonic Generations: Sonic felt really good in gameplay. Much more so than most of his recent 3D trash.

Genesis: Anything Sonic. That includes Sonic Spinball.

Sonic Triple Trouble: My favorite Game Gear game and the closest to Genesis glory.

Shadow the Hedgehog: Yeah, I still play it. It has its problems, but I think it's still a fun game to play. My opinion on this one may be somewhat biast, but I do believe that it does not deserve to be paired with '06.

Adventure 2: I love it and the HD remake has made me get back into it.

Heroes: My first Sonic game so that's why I love it.

Sonic 2: My favourite classic game.

Sonic 3 and Knuckles: My second favourite classic game.

I think these games will always mean something to me so that's why I love them.

I pick up all of the games I own from time to time. I go back to the megadrive originals most of all though.

I occasionally attempt to play the whole series through until I lose a life (once sonic dies Eggman wins right?) so far I've made it as far as the final level on sonic 1 :P

I occasionally attempt to play the whole series through until I lose a life (once sonic dies Eggman wins right?) so far I've made it as far as the final level on sonic 1 tongue.png

Sonic Riders and Shadow the Hedgehog.

I really enjoy Riders, while Shadow is a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine.

Pretty much all of them. Generations particularly so because I'm still loving it a year later despite what people say about having nothing to return to (which is subjective anyway), and 06 because it's so fascinatingly HORRIBLE that I can't stop. And sometimes stuff like Unleashed to try and make myself like it more than I do.

I return to others a bit less - I've played the Classics so much I return to them much less often but often the issue is TVs and console hook ups. I play CD '11 a fair bit too but not as much as Generations.

That actually sounds like a really good challange. I might try that. I never like losing an extra life in the classic games anyway. Normally you lose at least one life, it can't really be helped.

I suppose it is possible to do that playing Sonic 1, 2, CD, 3&K and 3d Blast. Wouldn't include Spinball, as it is easy to lose a life in that game.

Let's see...

I still play Sonic Adventure 2 from time to time. I love the Sonic/Shadow levels and I enjoy tearing things apart with Tails and Eggman.

There is also Sonic Adventure 1. Heck, sometimes I even play with Big.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles. I don't think I need to give any explanations for this, right?

Coming to think of it...I still play every Sonic game that I own whenever I feel like it, no matter how crappy it is. Maybe Sonic Chronicles and Unleashed are the only exceptions

Edited by Azure Nald