Awoo.

'That guy' in video games (aka, the jerks).

Nix

There's the good people, the villains, the stupid people, and so on.

But once in awhile during a video game, you come across 'that guy', the guy or girl you hate with a fiery passion because they're... well jerks. They're complete asses for many different reasons, some are jerks who shove down the fact that they think they're better than you on a daily basis, some treat you like a worthless pawn in a chess game, some are absolutely annoying just to annoy the hell out of you, etc. These guys are the ones who rustle your jimmies for various reasons... and I want to hear about them! Because sometimes it's fun to hate something in awhile.

So I'll begin with a character that I recently came across and he's just...ugh.

Joshua_Artwork_1.jpg

Yoshiya "Joshua" Kiryu (The World Ends with You)

This kid... dear god where do I begin with him? He's a great character, but... gah, let's start from the beginning. Joshua is your second partner in The World Ends with You, and right from the get-go he's out to annoy, he's the guy who has answers, but won't give them. He cracks jokes, his words drip with sarcasm, and he's a smartass through and through. Throughout the 2nd week of the game you're lead to believe that he's the one who killed Neku (the main character) and sent him into the Reaper's Game, and when Neku confronts him about it... he just says "so what if I did?" and leaves it at that. At the end of the 2nd week you learn that he didn't kill Neku, and Neku actually relates to him a bit. When he does his heroic sacrifice and dies, he actually doesn't seem like that bad of a kid, odd but not bad.

You learn in the end of the game, he is that bad of a kid, and in fact killed Neku. He's the ultimate asshole, and a complete monster on top of that. He's the "big bad". He's essentially God, and he was playing a game with his subordinate; if Josh won, he gets to destroy Shibuya (which absolutely nobody wants). Why does he want to do that? He thinks Shibuya is dull. To make sure he won, he needed a proxy, which was Neku. So he's the one who killed Neku, and made him play the Reaper's Game for 3 weeks straight under which he witnessed the deaths of friends and people he genuinely cared about and suffered severe emotional pain. His reward for winning? Josh destroys Shibuya, seems fair right? Well Josh is a nice guy, so he gives Neku the chance to stop him one more time. A duel, two guns, they both shoot after 10 seconds. Neku breaks down into tears and Joshua shoots him smirking. The only actual decent thing he does is not destroy Shibuya in the end... so he pretty much made Neku go through all that shit for nothing. He doesn't even have the decency to, at the very least, apologize to Neku for making him go through hell for 3 weeks straight.

And he has the balls to act like he's a good guy. I absolutely cannot stand this kid, I was practically begging for Neku to shoot the bastard in the face in their final duel. His blatant disregard for life, his smartass attitude, his everything. He's like the perfect asshole, and he never got what was coming to him.

Well, there. So anyone else have a "that guy" in a video game? I'd love to hear about it.

Edited by Pinkamina
  • Thumbs Up 2

Any guy who brings a specifc version of Tekken to a party...

No matter where it is, even if its at a SCVI tourney.

EDIT: OHHHH, During a video game.

I don't have any that comes to mind, but the closest that I can not stand is MuscleFoot from StarFox Adventures because of the difficulty of that event... Every time I attempted at that event, it is always...ALWAYS close, never finished.

My Cousin helped me out on that button mashing, and then we moved on through the story.

Edited by novelty
  • Thumbs Up 1

tumblr_m782enjAy91qgt0weo1_1280.jpg

I don't think there's ever been a video game character I've physically wanted to beat up before until this guy showed up in THUG 1, ugh. The stuff he does in the plot, his voice, his face, and his just about everything makes me want to punt kick a skateboard in face, >:L

• Thumbs Up 7

Jasper_Batt_Jr..jpg

Jasper Batt Jr. - No More Heroes 2

Hey, Jasper Batt Jr! Go to hell!

I hate you with your unfair final boss battle, your annoying voice,

and the fact I thought you actually DID kill Henry when you showed Travis his head on a silver platter!

All Jasper is, is just some kid who tries to be bigger than he is, expecting life to be handed to him on a silver platter. When he wasn't able to win against Travis, he simply injects himself with some unknown substance, and turns into a human superhero, making the odds of the battle impossibly unfair. It took me not hours, not days, but weeks, WEEKS TO BEAT A SINGLE BOSS. All of this combined makes me HATE Jasper much more than I should.

• Thumbs Up 2

(Note this is how i felt before I had beaten the game)

Mgs3-5.jpg

The Boss

I don't need to spoil right? It's like a 8 year old game.

So first time I'm playing MGS3, I meet The Boss. Jack all like "Agh Boss, I haven't seen you in forever!" and the Boss is all like "Yeah yeah whatever, I'm here to help." So after rescuing Sokolov, The Boss comes out of nowhere and is all like "Jack, gimmie Sokolov" Then proceeds to do nothing as Sokolov is taken by the cool dudes while she flips me over a fucking bridge. And then after being washed up on shore and being in range of an nuke explosion, she doesn't do shit except look at me and go "Guudbyeeee Jackkkkk".

"So this mission's gonna be a lot longer then I thought" I said

So I recover my shit, and after a few days get dropped off in the middle of the forest (well kinda). Start sneaking around like a snake when outta nowhere

"Hello Jack."

She comes out of nowhere, knocks the shit outta me, disassembles my gun, and to add insult to injury, has this motherfucker step on my hand

The_boss_horse.png

At this point I was pretty sure The Boss was trolling me, but I didn't know who I hated more. The Boss, or that damn Horse.

Skipping ahead a few hours, There I was about to rescue Sokolov and finally end the game. But once again out of nowhere

"Hello Jack."

I get the flipped the fuck over, and have shit taken away from me. And of course Volgin of all people just had to be in the area. After being "interrogated", and being completely oblivious to the transmitter that somehow got on me, or the S.A.A.Revolver that I somehow attained, Volgin was all like " Make him feel the pain, cut out dem eyes!" and The Boss was like "Sorry Jack" and was about to do it when a bunch of shit happens and she doesn't do it, but we still end up not seeing eye-to eye

tumblr_ldkzq29ynZ1qa97a6.gif

Skip ahead a few more scenes. About to plant the C-4 and hopefully stop the bad guys, when out of nowhere once again,

"Hello Jack."

Get the flipped and shit on again, and the plan is pretty much fucked. Even though Jack was all like "Noooo I don't wanna kill her" I was certain I was gonna kill her with all my rage, and not feel sorry for her one single bit. After being oblivious to even more obvious scenes I should've noticed the first time (*cough OtaconandEvascenes cough*) and after a long ass chase scene and battle with Captain Crunch, It's time for me to fight her. We do some more shit, she flips me, I flip her, over again and again, until I won.

Feeling like a Boss, I shot The Boss and escaped. For the rest of the game, I felt pretty damn accomplished, and very satisfied to have killed The Boss. After all the things she did to me during the game, I didn't feel a single bit of remorse for her.

Until, it happened.

tumblr_mb1edwk90H1rdtgmao1_500.png

The Ending.

There were many tears shed. Many things explained. And many feelings regretted. I don't think I ever felt like such an asshole for killing someone before.

The Boss may have been a jerk. But she was the best damn jerk I've ever seen in a video game before.

1098110-big_boss_salute_super.jpg

Also she is a sore loser at

Edited by Nintendoga
  • Thumbs Up 6

steerpike_DarkSoulsDiaries_Patches.jpg

This guy was hardly a threat, but he was definitely a grade-A asshole. Asks me to help him then kicks me into a pit so he can loot my starved corpse. And then when I escape his trap he acts like he did nothing wrong. See, people pull that kind of shit and wonder why you don't see good Samaritans any more.

• Thumbs Up 1

steerpike_DarkSoulsDiaries_Patches.jpg

This guy was hardly a threat, but he was definitely a grade-A asshole. Asks me to help him then kicks me into a pit so he can loot my starved corpse. And then when I escape his trap he acts like he did nothing wrong. See, people pull that kind of shit and wonder why you don't see good Samaritans any more.

It's thanks to this guy that I quickly murdered the douche from Dark Souls who tried to pull the same trick.

Fool me once, shame on you. Try and fool me a second time, and I'll light you on fire. >:C

SupeJoe.jpg

Joseph "SuperJoe" Gibson" - Bionic Commando (2009)

Basically, he spent the previous games helping Spencer and becoming a friend with him... until the anti-bionic governament act was released. Then Spencer went to jail and it was sentenced to death, while Joe was still free and in one piece. But hey, he seems to be a good guy since he managed to get Spencer out and sending him to the ruins of Ascension City to investigate BioReign terrorists, right?

Right?

Ehr...

After almost 3/4 of the game were Joe give hints and weapons at Spencer via radio, he reveald himself to be a bad guy! And for no reason! Then, after you find his base, you discover that he knew the (dull) secret of Spencer bionic arm the whole time.

Then since now he's a nerd guy and can't fight by himslef, he gets in a mech and kills very brutally Jayne (apparently Spencer fiancée), and to make the final insult, the battle against him is completely wasted, since you jump mech to mech performing QTE without even attacking out of sequence.

And he's voiced by Steve Blum. STEVE BLUM, dammit: how could i knew he was going to be an asshole?

Clair is a fucking bitch. She's a nigh impossible to beat Gym Leader, but then she's like "oh you're not good enough." Why? Because she said so? So we have to go to Dragon's Den and prove that we're actually better than her.

Whitney is also pretty bad, but at least you get the badge after talking to someone else in the gym you can't miss.

This guy....

Model_Raiden.jpg

.....annoyed the shit out of me in MGS2. He was like a whiny little brat who I just couldn't stand. Worse still, in MGS2 (the sequel to one of the best games on PS1), you only got to play about 20% of the game as Solid Snake, and have to play about 80% as Raiden.

Raidens character got better in MGS4...

Ninja_Raiden.jpg

Edited by NightwingFox

*grits teeth*

2533646280_f06e2aa438.jpg

SILVER THE HEDGEHOG *spit*

I... I just... ugh. Such an absolute dickhead. He's even more of a dick than Shadow ever could be, and what's sad is I don't think they were trying to make him such a whiny little bitch! His voice, his design, his gameplay... He's the most punchable character I think I've ever seen. >:-(

Edited by The Knuxter!
  • Thumbs Up 4

Would whiny people count as jerks? If so, here's a picture:

ffxiiihopeestheim4.png

Hope's a jerk to both players AND the characters. Need I say more?

allofmyhate.png

Wow...what a completely unlikeable asshole. A true testament to how NOT to write Sonic is the negative/snarky dialogue choices in Chronicles. That isn't the occasionally short-tempered, mildly snarky guy with a true heart of gold I grew up with, that's a flanderized mess of characterization pandering to the utterly stupid premise that is the dialogue tree written by someone who simply has no idea of how to characterize Sonic or do it with any subtlety. Yes, the dialogue tree being used for a character with an already extremely defined set of mannerisms and personality.

Being extremely curt with Tails? Doing his nut at him when he makes something resembling a friendly partnership with Eggman? Congratulating other characters for having a go at Amy? Going above and beyond in really really laying into Knuckles? Expressing outright hatred towards Eggman? Yep, it's all there in all of it's out-of-character ugliness. The fact you can choose it is no excuse; If it's not in-character then it shouldn't be there. Period.

Chronicles is utterly shit for a multitude of reasons. Sonic's glaring OoC'ness is one of it's aspects that is the most loathesome.

Queen-Zeal-chrono-trigger-873716_158_328.gif

Queen Zeal...she's such a terror. Unable to deal with her husband's death, she turns to Lavos' power emanating from the Mammon Machine and becomes so twisted and evil from it's influence that she becomes obsessed with obtaining immortality and make her kingdom last forever....not that she even really cares about Zeal...or her two children Janus (Who will become Magus) and Schala, whose magical power she takes advantage of in order to further her goals. Even when Schala is visibly hurt from using her magic to extract power from the Mammon Machine, Zeal shows no concern at all.

She's the catalyst behind the most influential and dangerous events throughout time throughout Chrono Trigger's storyline. Her meddling with Lavos' power sends her young son 12,600 years into the future where he grows into Magus, she's ultimately responsible for

Crono's death and Schala's intergration with the Dream Devourer

and she's also responsible for the Black Omen rising throughout different era's of time.

She's a character who is utterly dastardly and is a jerkass through and through, being evilly influential.

• Thumbs Up 5

yzFKo.png

"You're a trainer right? BROCK's looking new challengers! Follow me!"

No I'm not following you... what is this? He is forcing me to come with him! Leave me alone!

So, he forces all the trainers that try to pass by him to go to Brock's gym? What if it is an old ladie that just happens to have Pokémon, will he also force her to follow him to the gym?

Does the faggot force every trainer to follow him? How do people get out of the city without the badge? What if they are trainers, but aren't collecting badges? Are they stuck on the city forever? They can't use fly or surf since they don't have the badges needed for it.

Yeah, this guys is a jerk.

Edited by Tmsp
  • Thumbs Up 8

Personally, I always though Travis Touchdown was a bit of a douche.

But I'll say Brink from The Dig.

So, straight away we're marrooned on some far-off planet and Brink decides he doesn't fancy sticking to the chain of command. You just about to manage plactate him, but as soon as you try to dig a hole for the first time he's all up in your face demanding to do it himself. Fine, jerk. Dig that hole.

He falls to his death.

Well, now we're down to two. Just what we need. Oh, look, a way to revive him?

So yeah, dude truns into an even bigger jerk once he's back to live, as he develops an addictive personality to life crystals. He hides away and becomes a recluse, then threatens you when you find him. He only helps you when you blackmail him, and loses his hand in a crazy rage, before finally dying again.

plus he's German.

Barrel_of_doom.png

17 fucking years...This part....End of story...

Which character here is the jerk? Unless you're just referring to the level itself, which is likely because neither Tails (Especially Tails; he's as nice as you can get) nor Sonic is a jerk except in Chronicles as someone else mentioned.

Viridi_8937.jpg

Vididi (Kid Icarus: Uprising)

I Hate this character with a passsion. All she does is whine with her annoying voice. I just can't see how people like this character. Everything about her is annoying, Her voice, her dialogue, and the stuff she does in the plot.

Edited by Kuro Pit

Which character here is the jerk? Unless you're just referring to the level itself, which is likely because neither Tails (Especially Tails; he's as nice as you can get) nor Sonic is a jerk except in Chronicles as someone else mentioned.

Well if you got 'time overs' every time you hit this part, you know what i'm talking about...