Awoo.

Sonic The Fighters Is Coming To XBLA/PSN!

Wait, so does this make Honey a real character now then??

Real in the sense that you can play as her, yes.

In regards to the Sonic continuity, no.

Yeah I understand that but I mean like real in the sense that we can call her a classic character like we do Bean and Bark for example? Like, does she count as being more than just lost data now?...

If that makes any sense? xD

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah I understand that but I mean like real in the sense that we can call her a classic character like we do Bean and Bark for example? Like, does she count as being more than just lost data now?...

Like Wally said, no. She's just an easter egg of sorts.

Of course, they very well could come out and say she is. :V

Edited by Sexy n' Smooth Wario
  • Thumbs Up 1

She's officially a character to have appeared in the Sonic, but I wouldn't say she's an actual Sonic character. Just a glorified Easter Egg.

I'd say until a character crosses over into main series titles and Sonic Team developed games, they're secondary spin-off characters. Bark, Bean and now Honey are in the same category as Shade and Metal Knuckles for me. First appeared in a title not wholly developed by Sonic Team and not classified as a main series title or a handheld series title (like Triple Trouble, Advance, Rush, etc).

Then you've got the tier of characters who appear in handheld titles, and may have crossed into other spin-offs, but never made a main series appearance such as Fang and Marine. Mighty is unique in that he started off in one spin-off and crossed into another, more prominent, spin-off.

Then you have characters that started out in handheld titles and spin-offs and crossed into the main series on consoles: Espio, Vector, Charmy, Cream and Blaze. All of these join the ranks of the following characters: the secondary characters who debuted in the main series: Tails, Amy, Knuckles, Rouge, Omega, Shadow, Big and so on.

Edited by Barry the Nomad

I'm going to be the best Honey the Cat player in the UK.

Come at me.

Pretty cool that they're including the additional characters though, Sonic the Fighters may not be the most technically engaging fighting game out there, but it's still pretty fun. I've always thought that the backdrops for the stages were pretty cool. Like the Canyon level, looks like a place I'd want in a mainstream Sonic game.

*looks at the Sega Blogs*

Erm Sega... if this is coming to the west... should you like, announce it? It is coming to the west right? Right?

Time to release a patch of Generations so that there can now be "wanted" signs of her too in City Escape, just have a large "FOUND" plastered on top of it!

*looks at the Sega Blogs*

Erm Sega... if this is coming to the west... should you like, announce it? It is coming to the west right? Right?

Yeah this is pretty strange they haven't made an announcement yet when SoJ has.

Someone want to tweet/facebook them about it and find out whats going on?

I doubt you guys have anything to worry about. It's Sonic and it's a game which has had decent exposure. They're not going to pass up on the auto sales.

It's not like it's Platinum Games developed or anything

• 2 weeks later...

Retro already pointed out the fact that SEGA has never made any Japanese exclusive XBLA/PSN games and have usually been global. so its most likely going to come here but they are talking their sweet fucking time announcing it.

More Balanced Characters

Unlockable Metal Sonic

Playable Honey

Online Play

Fixed Spelling (ROBOTONICK)

Pretty on point besides maybe the rebalanced characters. Not that the game was very imbalanced to begin with. I think people just get that misconception due to the AI in the game.

Sonic the Fighters was an inferior version of an already-released game when it was new. The only really notable thing about it was that it was a fighting game with Sonic characters, and that there was a planned Saturn port that was cancelled.
Sonic the Fighters isn't that much like Fighting Vipers. The game has a lot of unique mechanics that make it pretty hard to compare them. They are very different games and I find it quite sad that people often just beat down all of its interesting mechanics by calling it an inferior version of the other AM2 fighters at the time.

It's short, Bark breaks the game, and Metal Sonic fucks you up bad.
Metal Sonic wasn't playable and will hopefully have his special damage settings turned off when he is being played by real players. Bark by no means breaks the game. His hyper mode lariat takes some getting used to but its far from game breaking. He has a bunch of weaknesses that his strengths struggle to make up for.

Citing character balance as a major complaint in a game like Sonic the Fighters implies that it was taken seriously as a competitive fighting game at some point in time.

I find that absolutely hilarious for some reason.

>_> Well I could link to my old tournament poster.

Well... I'm excited.

Edited by Giza

Huh, never noticed before now, but the tongue is pretty scientifically accurate.

chameleon.jpg

Well played, AM2 of old.

...Didn't need the saliva effects though. I don't think anybody asked for that with their HD release.

Oh hey, the colors are much more vibrant and the graphics looks slightly smoother. Too bad it's 3:4 :X

Edited by Jango

Ahhh that aspect ratio sucks, I wouldn't have thought StF would have many textures they'd have to remake to upscale it either :/

Nice to see Amy's muzzle is no longer white though.

Okay... so this isn't a good sign.

Earlier today I went into the Sega Press vault and... yup I saw the listings for Sonic the Fighters, saw the screens that you saw there.

Just been in tonight and... they're missing. I've checked it manually and I've searched it using the sites own search engine for both new content and the game itself. Nothing is coming up.

For that matter, none of the other games in the model 2 collection are showing up anymore either.

Now I'm open to the possability that maybe I'm not looking in the right place. Only earlier today when I looked it was right there when you logged in. Tonight, there is no trace of it.

Maybe because they haven't announced the game over here, and the pictures were sent earlier?

So many Sega stuff is leaked that I don't get surprised about something like this.

Still there is always a possibility that this might not come here, but since this game was also released(somewhat) over here I think it's only logical that eventually it releases here.

Edited by redhellc