Awoo.

Do you think the fanbase overrates the latest games? (As in Colours and Generations)

Chaos Warp

If fans have expectations above Sonic Team's possibilities, it's because they know where Sonic should be.

Or they have no fucking clue what they really want.

The thought that fans know better than Sonic Team isn't exactly a thought I'd agree with...

• Thumbs Up 5

Or they have no fucking clue what they really want.

The thought that fans know better than Sonic Team isn't exactly a thought I'd agree with...

But they don't. Sonic Team has Sonic as their IP, no one else. It's not that fans know better - let's just say there is a "ghost Sonic" in the gaming pantheon. People in general know Sonic, but what they know of him is a set of standards. The more the games contradict themselves, the more this set of standards becomes blurry and the less relevant he becomes, because no one has a clue on what to expect from Sonic.

That's why I don't believe in a fanbase as a concise group, either. But the point is - people have seen Sonic on the top and they know he's not there anymore. They don't even need to be fans. Fans just happen to want that to happen again, mostly.

But they don't. Sonic Team has Sonic as their IP, no one else. It's not that fans know better - let's just say there is a "ghost Sonic" in the gaming pantheon. People in general know Sonic, but what they know of him is a set of standards. The more the games contradict themselves, the more this set of standards becomes blurry and the less relevant he becomes, because no one has a clue on what to expect from Sonic.

That's why I don't believe in a fanbase as a concise group, either. But the point is - people have seen Sonic on the top and they know he's not there anymore. They don't even need to be fans. Fans just happen to want that to happen again, mostly.

Well the modern games have fixed most of the Identity Crisis the series had been in since Adventure 1, I don't think that's anything to be worried about.

And if they want to see him at the top again, good for them! But actually carrying that out is in Sonic Team's hands, and so far at least they're making progress.

• Thumbs Up 1

I liked Colors a little bit but the way these new Sonic fans rate it is just so annoying they say its pure. epicness even though its just Unleashed in space and with Wisps. I hate how people downsize the Werehog because we get it, you don't like the slow gameplay you don't like the concept well what you see is what you get you can't spam SEGA'S email address saying Werehog sucked (isn't that why they removed their email address in the first place?) And I hate it when people say 06 sucks are just followers I liked that game because of the abilities I don't care if the game has glitches or bestiality which almost every other cartoon/game has. Overall you can't say a game sucks because you looked at only one factor.

Catch my drift?

Sonic 2006 doesn't suck JUST because of glitches or JUST because of "beastiality", but because the rest of the story is poorly told, the game is flat out unfinished, the loading screens are asinine and the level design is often bad (like the indoor section of Dusty Desert where it's the same room over and over again with Silver's ball puzzle and the anguish of those sand wave rooms). People tend not to look at only one factor so that's totally untrue. It all comes together to create a turd.

Also I haven't heard anyone say Sonic Colours is godly or near perfect for MONTHS. Generations tends to get more credit, though.

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 4