Awoo.

The Triumphs of the Modern Games

SIXTH-RATE SOMA

I've already seen Shadow and Blaze mentioned, so I'll just say Rouge when she was introduced in SA2. Often overlooked in favour of Shadow, I didn't appreciate the character as much as I do now. She gave us a good foil for Knuckles; a formidable, independent female character; a moral grey area (different from Shadow, as she was playing both sides for personal gain) and a design that stood out among the more popular characters.

Edited by Pawn
  • Thumbs Up 2

Sonic Adventure was really fun. It had a good mix of platforming and exploration, alot of variety in gameplay too. Not to mention the extras like the Chao Garden.

Dude, chill. When you think negative of everything, that's what you get.

Care to explain?

We were introduced to the best writers and voicing cast the series has ever had. No not the 4Kids ones ya bastitch! wink.png

Edited by -The Joker-

The music. Specifically the final boss music from 06 to Colors. THAT is the type of music you should play in the climax of a game.

There is one consistant thing that the Adventure and Modern games have brought, and that is fantastic soundtracks.

Generations, Unleashed, SA1 and SA2 are just some of the games with loads of unforgettable tracks. Right now, my mind is full of SA2's tracks. The music for Pyramid Cave, City Escape, Metal Harbour, Final Rush and the opening theme Live and Learn, are just a pleasure to listen to over and over again.

I don't think any computer game franchise has consistantly delivered music of such a high quality over a period of 20 years, other than Sonic Team.

Edited by NightwingFox

While I prefer the classics overall, sometimes I get in a weird mood for awhile and think Modern Sonic is cooler due to his 'extreme' gameplay. Also sometimes it's nice to play Sonic with high poly 3D graphics when you've been staring at pixel art for too long.

SA2 IS THE BEST SONIC GAME EVER MADE AND THEREFORE SA3 MUST COME INTO FRUITION. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE THIS THEN YOU'RE NOT A TRUE FA----

*cough*

Anyway, on a serious note, the modern Sonic games (SA1 - present) have given us some of the best soundtracks this series has ever seen, and honestly, while I can say a lot of negative things about the Sonic games, the soundtracks always remind me of the good parts of Sonic games. Sonic soundtracks both sound like they come from a Sonic game, and they manage to uphold the Sonic soundtracks' reputation of being nothing short of brilliant. Say what you will about the games, but for the most part, Sonic has some pretty awesome soundtracks.

Say what you will about the game, but I thought Unleashed had some fantastic world-building elements in the game. I found it to be great for Sonic to be exploring the world, having the world set up like real world locations. Additionally, it also had some pretty sweet characterization for Sonic and company. The friendship between Sonic and Chip was a good one, and provides a bittersweet ending, having Chip locked in the earth for a long time, yet will always be a part of the earth that Sonic runs on. I found that to be nice.

The Adventure games had some fantastic characterization of Sonic and friends, and set up a brilliant foundation for characterization for later games. Say what you will about the execution, but I found the Adventure games' story to be pretty cool in its own right. There's a bunch of characters running around and interacting with other characters, and honestly, this is kinda what I like to see in Sonic games. Independent characters going off and doing their own thing, yet still interacting with other characters.

Colors had some amazing level themes in the level, and they just scream with creativity. Lots of aesthetics and music in Colors are just so creative, it's just really pleasing to see. I love the look of stages like Sweet Mountain or Planet Wisp or Asteroid Coast; they graphics aren't just great, the design behind the graphics is what makes it amazing. You can have some of the best graphics in the world, and still make it look boring. I think Colors excels in making itself look creative and fun.

Edited by Burnt Ash

Shadow (before they screwed him over in ShTH)

Tastefully dark atmosphere's in the Adventures.

The soundtracks in most of the games.

Grinding.

Rouge.

Eggman who's like a boss!

Layered stories before they got neutered.

Tails being more than just a sidekick.

...Have I left anything out?

• Thumbs Up 1

Shadow (before they screwed him over in ShTH)

Tastefully dark atmosphere's in the Adventures.

The soundtracks in most of the games.

Grinding.

Rouge.

Eggman who's like a boss!

Layered stories before they got neutered.

Tails being more than just a sidekick.

...Have I left anything out?

You forgot Sonic. :V

You forgot Sonic. :V

Doesn't count. Been around since 1991.

- Characters. Notably Blaze the Cat, Shadow the Hedgehog, and Rouge the Bat. All three were incredibly interesting at their conception, although the last one's kind of fallen into sort-of-obscurity and the first two's stories have been screwed over (sorta). Oh yeah and Big is a badass, and Gamma had quite a bittersweet story for a game like Sonic Adventure.

- the developed backstory for Knuckles' ancestors which perfectly branched together S3K and SA1. Knuckles' actual existence and the placement of the Master Emerald are the only shaky subjects left from it but I have my fan theories.

- Eggman is the best villain ever, and although he meant business in the old games, he's only got bigger with his works since. And he has a better design!

- Unleashed-onward introduced a more solidified look at Sonic's world and the people in it, as well as a better and more flexible art style that suits the franchise's crazy whiplashes with setting stylizations. Plus, the Pixar humans are awesome.

- the layered and involved stories that were going on in the Adventure games and Unleashed. With better execution they could've been something notably special.

- Character development, or at least the times where it lasts.

- although its not my favorite gameplay style, I gotta give cred to Sonic Team giving you gameplay that for the first time brings you what it feels like to play as Sonic in the same way we see him move throughout many cutscenes, tv shows and different media.

- Grinding is mad cool.

- Almost all the games have had great music; most notably SA1, 06, Unleashed, and Colors. Oh yeah, and the Rushes.. and SatSR. Yep.

Edited by Azukara
  • Thumbs Up 5

Designs.

Sonic went from looking ten years old to an actual teenager. The older Sonic looked a lot cuter where the newer Sonic, though he does retain some cuteness to him, he generally just looks cooler. The design is very reflective to his older self, and doesn't over-do it.

sonic03_32.png

sonic-adventure-7.png

Amy had a total 180 in change, aside from here being a pink, female hedgehog. The pros of this is she looks a lot more feminine. Her classic self was just her looking like Sonic with pink spines and a skirt. Though, you'd have to guess she was a hedgehog, it overall worked.

Additionally, she looked more like a pre-teen or early teenager. More preppy. You could easily imagine her on the cheerleader squad where her last design was looking like she'd be in Sunday School.

Sonic-and-Amy-sonic-and-amy-1704453-480-360.jpg

Amy_Rose.png

Of course, my personal favorite, the good doctor, Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik.

He retains a lot of what made him so iconic in his classic days -- egg shaped body, large mustache, bald head, black pants, red upper attire, etc. But he becomes more dignified with his militaristic jacket. He also becomes more evil as his face, or at least his nose and "eyebrowless eyebrow" becomes sharper.

As one guy already said, they took a badass and made him even more badass.

His classic self seemed to almost look scared, or timid. He seemed blank. His whole ship would fall apart and he'd stand in the middle of it with a blank stare. Where his modern self just seems demented, -- insane, even.

Robotnik.png

Sonic_Art_Assets_DVD_-_Eggman_-_4.png

Fun fact: 85% of people who first experienced Eggman's latest design get impregnated by its sexiness. Note I said "people" I didn't say "women."

These are a few examples.

Heroes pumped up the Chaotix ten fold. They were almost new characters when they came around. Those who didn't play Knuckles Chaotix saw them as new desirables and those who did creamed at their sexiness (Not as sexy as Robotnik, of course, but pretty sexy.)

They also now fit in with the other guys -- no longer sporting those armory type body thingies.

And they looked like they role they had, in Heroes. Espio looked like the ninja he was portrayed as, Vector seemed very strong with his bulkier design, and Charmy seemed like a kid. In Knuckles' Chaotix? Meh, up for interpretation.

ThumbnailCAFVY02L.jpg185px-Charmy_1.png165px-Vector_3.png

Team_chaotix.png

Edited by Red Forman
  • Thumbs Up 2

Sonic Generations, in my opinion, is one of the greatest Sonic games of all time, being crowned second place in my list of favorite Sonic games ever. First place goes to S3&K.

The level design, soundtrack, speed, gameplay, and overall replay value is absolutely stunning here. The game was everything I hyped it up to be. I wished the game was longer, had a better written plot, and had constant streams of brand-new DLC levels from the Dreamcast and Genesis games and whatnot, but oh well. We got the community making some pretty cool stuff!

But, yeah. I don't know why people diss Modern so much. Sonic's overall quality has done nothing but go up ever since SA2. Sure, 06 and some of the later games leave a lot more to be desired, but that's progress. Something that y'know, games need nowadays. :P

- although its not my favorite gameplay style, I gotta give cred to Sonic Team giving you gameplay that for the first time brings you what it feels like to play as Sonic in the same way we see him move throughout many cutscenes, tv shows and different media.
Ugh I know this is supposed to be a positive topic but I can't not comment on this. The modern gameplay doesn't feel like how Sonic's been portrayed in cutscenes and other media, because they've always shown him as being more agile, less constrained...not just "really, really fast".

Designs.

Sonic went from looking ten years old to an actual teenager. The older Sonic looked a lot cuter where the newer Sonic, though he does retain some cuteness to him, he generally just looks cooler.

Yeah. Classic Sonic was cuter than the new one, but it doesn't matter so much because we still have Tails for cuteness, right?

I like the soundtrack, the colorful vibrant world of Sonic, most of the new characters, character development in the Adventure series and Unleashed, the storytelling, the writing in the storybook series and newer games, the new voice cast, Sonic and Tails bromance in Colors. Am I forgetting anything?

Yeah. Classic Sonic was cuter than the new one, but it doesn't matter so much because we still have Tails for cuteness, right?

Yeah, Tails will always have cuteness to him due to his tails' fluff and button snout. I didn't mention Tails in my post because most of him is retained, just taller. Aside from a few things: His iris turning blue, his snout shrinking (giving a more feminine appearance), and his fur turning more yellow.

profile_picture_by_ask_classic_tails-d5fq1aa.png

sa-tails-01.jpg

Generations is my favorite Sonic game. Colors is my third favorite behind CD.

Why?

They're fun. There isn't a single level of Generations I don't enjoy, and Colors' levels are a ton of fun to explore and blast through. There's a ton of charm to the visuals and music, and I like the lighthearted tone of the story. I enjoyed both of these games from the very beginning to the end.

In contrast, I enjoyed Sonic 2 until the end of Mystic Cave Zone (with Aquatic Ruin being a tad boring), and two of Sonic 3 's levels were infuriating to play through (Marble Garden and Launch Base). Then there's Sandapolis in & Knuckles.

All the other post-3&K games are mediocre at best, with some great Sonic levels being the only saving grace in three of them.

Edited by Dissident
  • Thumbs Up 1

We got more characters. The Chaotix returned. Generations showed us what we love even if it was short. Eggman started off really evil but now he's funny and I like his funny attitude.

Let's face it. Graphics. I know the whole "gameplay is everything" crowd, but I'm inclined to think Generations' Green Hill completely and utterly destroys Sonic 1's. Apotos is a place I wish I could go to (fortunately it has an RL basis; Mykonos here I come!). So the gorgeous backgrounds of the modern games totally crush the Genesis and Dreamcast era's.

For me I enjoy the stories, some at least. I liked SA2, Colors and Generations' stories very much. A classic-style story is just too bland for me, based entirely on sign language and reading the manual. Like seriously, who reads the manual except to fix an issue these days? :P

I'd say the music, definitely. The Classic tunes are wonderful as well, but music is what nearly everyone seems to think is the strong point. While there are some old school folks who like to diss Jun Senoue and such, I've noted that the music definitely enjoys a lot of support.

YMMV, but the speeds attainable in the modern games are -insane- compared to what Classic Sonic could get.

They introduced Blaze. Also, Robotnik took a page from the west and became a threat. I also like the fact some have good plots.

Also: I like Colors more than Sonics 1 or 2.

If SEGA played safe with Sonic Adventure and kept Sonic mute, Classic, I have a feeling the series would not have gotten as far as it has.

Sonic would've been in the Mascot Graveyard with Crash Bandicoot, Bubsy, Aero the Acrobat, and others...

Even Mega Man is already joining that club, and I don't hate Mario, but look at the lack of originality of the past 3 years. Nintendo's time is coming to an end; very slowly, but surely.

Sonic's Modern, multi-platform, digital approach is working. I think that's the Modern games' greatest triumph; to be able to always be developed on the winning side.