Awoo.

The Triumphs of the Modern Games

SIXTH-RATE SOMA

Yeah, Tails will always have cuteness to him due to his tails' fluff and button snout. I didn't mention Tails in my post because most of him is retained, just taller. Aside from a few things: His iris turning blue, his snout shrinking (giving a more feminine appearance), and his fur turning more yellow.

profile_picture_by_ask_classic_tails-d5fq1aa.png

sa-tails-01.jpg

That's probably one thing I don't like about the new design. Why would they make him look more feminine? I mean, it's enough that he's voiced by a female. (also the second image there does not work)

For the first time in my life I was able to experience Sonic's true speed in gameplay form instead of watching cutscenes and longing to go that fast in-game.

I'll probably never get to experience speed as fast as this in a Sonic game again, as it's pretty unpopular among parts of the fanbase, and Sonic Team are currently slowing Sonic back down with each game, but I still enjoyed it while it lasted.

Funny thing, I did some maths and I figured out that you can actually go faster in Sonic 1 than you can in Unleashed. You can certainly make a fast game but you don't need to make it free, and you certainly don't need to cram it into this funnel like level. Yeah, the parts in generations where you have to go slowly suck, the controls aren't cut out for it and those parts are just not well designed, just boxes to jump over. Really the controls aren't cut out for anything. Unleashed style gameplay is some of the least mechanically taxing around. It's kind of funny to go through rooftop run and see how often your controls are just 100% disabled.

Edited by Phos

I really like the "hub world" in Generations. There's a bit of simple platforming involved to get to the challenges, and I find that to be more fun than say, just picking them out of a menu or something. I also like how whenever you go near a level in the hub world, the level's music starts playing in a certain style and it just sounds cool to walk by all the levels and hear how they sound.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really like the "hub world" in Generations. There's a bit of simple platforming involved to get to the challenges, and I find that to be more fun than say, just picking them out of a menu or something. I also like how whenever you go near a level in the hub world, the level's music starts playing in a certain style and it just sounds cool to walk by all the levels and hear how they sound.

I have actually just let the game run near the Perfect Chaos section, just because I love that music so much. <3

Edited by The Awesome Arcanine

• 1 year later...

SHAMELESS SELF-BUMPING

With the release of Lost World and subsequent mixed reception, I thought it might be a nice exercise to revisit this thread with what we've learned from the new games. By all means, discuss!

SHAMELESS SELF-BUMPING

With the release of Lost World and subsequent mixed reception, I thought it might be a nice exercise to revisit this thread with what we've learned from the new games. By all means, discuss!

A positive following Lost World, eh? All right, how about this?

tumblr_llvwclh9hW1qfg7vpo1_500.gif

Yes, it could have been implemented better. But the very idea of parkour and something like Sonic fits like jam on toast. We see the hedgehog do it plenty of times in both the classics and the recent games, so being able to officially do it in game is a brilliant idea.

It's a mechanic that has a lot of potential in the series, provided Sonic Team irons out its kinks and utilizes it well.

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't really get all the hate for SLW. While it had too many design decisions that were either questionable or just outright bad, it was still a fun game. I enjoyed playing it, and I think that's what matters most. The parkour system fits the series so well, and I'd love to see it return. It wasn't executed well 100% of the time, but when it was, it was really good. The boost formula had to go through a few iterations to gain a wide appeal and acclaim, and it was a success in the end. It's not outside the realm of possibility for the parkour gameplay to undergo the same process and eventual success.

• Thumbs Up 2

The boost formula had to go through a few iterations to gain a wide appeal and acclaim, and it was a success in the end. It's not outside the realm of possibility for the parkour gameplay to undergo the same process and eventual success.

As I recall, Unleashed's day stages were praised right out of the gate. The same can't be said for Lost World.

• Thumbs Up 3

As I recall, Unleashed's day stages were praised right out of the gate. The same can't be said for Lost World.

Yes, but that doesn't mean at all that it can't undergo the same improvement. And the basic mechanics have received praise, what critics didn't like about the gameplay was the slow speed and the level design not taking advantage of the parkour gameplay in a way that makes them fun. Speed can be changed as part of refining the mechanics, and the level design is a different issue.

I'd say the level tropes in Colors are up there with my favorite in the series. We got a space fleet. Neon space fleet, connected by energy roads, based on the zodiac. That's probably something they couldn't do in the classics. Starlight Carnival hands down is my favorite new level. Unleashed was a tour of some of Earth's own more exotic and grand locales. That idea was in SA1 with the Mayan/Incan influences on Knuckles' people, but it was taken to the max in Unleashed. The Great Wall, the temples of Southeast Asia, an old African fortress, the NYC skyline, the Arctic. A Sonic world tour is a great concept. Without breaking the gameplay down, I'd say we've covered good ground in the level variety department at least. Love the boost or not, all those games took us to some nice looking places, yeah?

I would say from Unleashed-onwards, one of the strongest points that is usually guaranteed to be good are character interactions. There's bound to be problems with gameplay and story on varying levels, but Sonic and Chip's friendship in Unleashed, Sonic+The Knights of the Round, Sonic+Tails in Colors, the Modern/Classic Counterparts in Generations, and generally everyone's interaction in Lost World: you get the idea, but it's usually the high point of any Sonic story for me.

• Thumbs Up 1