Awoo.

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - Part 1 & 2

Winston

darkknightreturns.jpg

Information

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns is a two-part animated superhero film, an adaptation of the four-issue story arc The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller, printed in 1986. It was directed by Jay Oliva, who worked as a storyboard artist on Man of Steel, Batman: Year One and Batman: Under the Red Hood. Several previous Batman veterans will be involved in the film. Part 1 was released on September 25, 2012, while Part 2 is set for release in winter 2013. It is the 15th film in the DC Universe Animated Original Movies line.

Part 1 Plot

In a dystopian near-future version of Gotham City, 55-year-old Bruce Wayne has retired from being Batman following the death of his former Robin Jason Todd. Criminals now run amok and the city is constantly terrorized by a gang known as the Mutants. Bruce Wayne is now something of a recluse, despite his continuous philanthropic endeavors and friendship with Commissioner James Gordon (who now knows Bruce's former identity as Batman). The escalating brutality of the Mutants prompts Bruce to take up the mantle of Batman again, but the public opinion over Batman and his methods is sharply divided. While the public generally approve of Batman's return, richer and more powerful people such as the Mayor and Dr. Bartholomew Wolper (head psychiatrist at Arkham Asylum) brand Batman as a fascist. Bruce's old friend Harvey Dent (formerly Two-Face) undergoes plastic surgery and his face is repaired but at the high cost of eradicating Dent's good side forever. Batman confronts Two-Face and stops him holding the city ransom with a bomb. Inspired by Batman's actions, 13-year-old girl Carrie Kelley buys herself a Robin costume and searches for Batman to aid him. She finds him at the city dump where the Mutant gang is gathering. Onboard a tank-like Batmobile, Batman defeats most of the gang shooting them with rubber bullets before confronting the Mutant Leader into a hand to hand combat where he is overpowered but Kelley distracts him long enough for Batman to pacify him and rescue the injured Batman. Kelley attends to Batman's wounds as the vehicle drives toward the Batcave. Once home, Batman takes Carrie on as the new Robin despite the objections of his butler Alfred Pennyworth. Batman instructs Carrie to disguise herself as a Mutant and spread the word of a meeting at Gotham Pipe while Batman arranges the Mutant Leader's escape from prison. The Mayor attempts to negotiate with the Mutant Leader in his cell, but the Mutant Leader brutally mauls him to death. Gordon then "accidentally" allows the Leader out of his cell and he makes his way through the ventilation system leading him to Gotham Pipe where he finds his entire army waiting. Batman appears and engages the Mutant Leader in battle again. Only this time, Batman manages to outsmart the Leader's moves and eventually subdues him, breaking several of his bones in front of his army. Accepting defeat, the Mutants disband into smaller gangs. One gang in particular operates under the name of "The Sons of Batman" where they work to purge Gotham of crime with questionable methods. Batman's return and victory over the Mutants becomes public news. Nearing retirement, Gordon meets with his successor Police Captain Ellen Yindel who also voices her doubts over Batman's methods. Meanwhile in Arkham Asylum, a catatonic patient sees a report about Batman on the news. With a disturbing grin on his face, he ecstatically exclaims the phrase "B-B-B-Batman, darling."

Part 1 Cast

• Peter Weller as Batman / Bruce Wayne
  • Ariel Winter as Carrie Kelley / Robin
  • Paget Brewster as Lana Lang
  • Maria Canals Barrera as Police Captain Ellen Yindel
  • Michael Emerson as Joker
  • Michael Jackson as Alfred Pennyworth
  • Michael McKean as Dr. Bartholomew Wolper
  • David Selby as Commissioner James "Jim" Gordon
  • Wade Williams as Two-Face / Harvey Dent
  • Bruce Timm as Thomas Wayne

Part 2 Cast

• Peter Weller - Batman / Bruce Wayne
    • Ariel Winter - Carrie Kelley / Robin
    • Mark Valley - Superman / Clark Kent / Kal-El
    • Michael Emerson - Joker
    • David Selby - Commissioner James "Jim" Gordon
    • Michael Jackson - Alfred Pennyworth

Trailers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JMli3MopNs

I haven't seen the first part yet, but from the trailers, they both look pretty damn good. What are your thoughts?

Edited by Johnny Bravo
  • Thumbs Up 1

death04.jpg

This kinda hurt. Like, kinda really hurt. I DIED.

Michael Jackson - Alfred Pennyworth

wat

Edited by -The Joker-
  • Thumbs Up 6

Just watched the first part. Spectacular film I must say, though I was disappointed that I only heard Micheal Emerson's Joker say two words. But that's what Part 2 is for.

Picked it up last week and I have to say it's easily one of my favorite straight to DVD DC Animated features I purchased so far (and I've gotten quite a collection built over the last year). The Dark Knight Returns is one of the few comic book stories of any kind outside of Sonic that I'm rather familiar with, so I kind of knew what I was getting when I bought this, but it still blew me away. Highly recommended for Batman/DC Animated fans. Can't wait for Part 2, which should be epic if handled right.

Watched it with a few friends the other weekend and I personally loved it. Kinda wish it was done by the same animation team that does Young Justice/Doomsday, but it still looks good nonetheless.

Old man bats still got it

Before I started to watch this, I didn't have any high expectations, (Mainly because the concept of an old Batman isn't my cup of tea) however it turned out to be way better than I thought. I'm absolutely looking forward to part 2! :)

When I saw this I actually thought it was The Dark Knight Rises, and I was thinking "wait... what? Its a two-part film?!"

Then I saw it said DC Animated Universe. :P

Oh, and when I saw Ellen Yindel, it reminded me of Detective Ellen Yin from The Batman. I actually liked her, and it sucked how she just dropped out of the picture when Gordon was introduced. Then again, that was probably done because of how unpopular The Batman was... but I still liked it. :P

• 2 weeks later...

I hatehatehatehatehate HATE the dark knight returns...... honestly, I consider it the most over rated, poorly written piece of crap I've ever read. It's just awful, why it gets the praise it gets is beyond me...

That said, the trailer looks pretty good, maybe it translates better into film than it did on the page. Don't think it's out here yet but when it comes out I might......might...give it a go.

As long as they ignore Frank Miller's incredibly stupid and dated 1980's political satire, I really think this could turn out great.