Awoo.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing: Transformed -- Portable Versions (3DS,PSVITA,iOS)

Unidus

OK a quick update on this.

The code confusion was a problem on the Sony servers sides, this should now be correct for anyone entering their codes from now, plus Sony are going through all the codes already entered to switch Vita players to get the correct DLC for the Vita version (and not the PS3!). Should all be sorted very soon.

Apologies again on this, it's something that's sort of out of both our hands and SEGA's, but Sony are doing their best to get you all sorted.

And Teflon, whilst I appreciate this is annoying, it's not actually false advertising. If we'd have no intention of giving you the DLC on Vita ever, you'd have a point, but this is purely a server side error which is being corrected. Let's say PSN was unavailable for any reason, it would be the same case, you'd not have access to the DLC but it'd be completely out of our control :P

---

S0L

---

• Thumbs Up 9

people getting crazy for an error that will be solved in a very few time...he's acting like he couldn't play the game at all. Teflon, Take a chamomile and try to have some fun. I don't think the world is gonna end before u could play as Metal Sonic, and a couple of days of waiting are not going to kill you

• 3 weeks later...

"To Be Confirmed"

"To Be Confirmed"

EDIT: Don't do it Jango... Stay away!

... SHIT XD

Edited by Pawn

So we only have the 3DS and PC versions to go? I hope both versions are really good, because delaying that much and release the same glitchy game will be tough...

INFECTED

*nomnomnom*

That's nice to hear, although I still do wonder why it's being released so much later than its console counterparts.

Simultaneous release is nice, if the games are actually all ready, but I'd far rather wait for one system to be tweaked to readiness that either have it released early and unfinished or hold all the ready ones until the last one is done.  Especially when it does involve such dramatically different systems as the 3DS and PS3. 

They could (and likely are) wrong, but I saw the 3DS game on the shelves in a GAME store in Portsmouth last week, I thought it an error at the time - yet intrigued, I returned this week to find copies still there. Unfortunately I was penniless to buy it (boo!) but I still enquired with the store guy about being able to actually physically purchase it and he said it wouldn't be on the shop floor if they didn't have it. 

It's surely some mistake on GAME's behalf right? Unless the 3DS game actually released silently in one lone store? XD

They could (and likely are) wrong, but I saw the 3DS game on the shelves in a GAME store in Portsmouth last week, I thought it an error at the time - yet intrigued, I returned this week to find copies still there. Unfortunately I was penniless to buy it (boo!) but I still enquired with the store guy about being able to actually physically purchase it and he said it wouldn't be on the shop floor if they didn't have it. 

It's surely some mistake on GAME's behalf right? Unless the 3DS game actually released silently in one lone store? XD

They regularly put out display boxes before a game is out, but they normally have a "pre-order today" stick on or something similar, so I'm better that's the case here. I'd be really, really surprised if they not only had stock but were selling it too a full  three weeks before release. 

They regularly put out display boxes before a game is out, but they normally have a "pre-order today" stick on or something similar, so I'm better that's the case here. I'd be really, really surprised if they not only had stock but were selling it too a full  three weeks before release. 

Yeah, that's what I thought, that It was probably missing the sticker. Just a little odd to see it was also priced up at £29.99 (unless they do that in advance too), that, and it was on a few shelves not to mention on it's own cabinet with the other versions of the game for alternate systems. GAME must've confused it i guess.

So today I was in game and noticed that they had ASRT for £19.99... so I decided to buy it! Been playing it for most of the evening... here are my thoughts.

* The claims that it looks terrible are greatly over exaggerated. Sorta. It looks fine in motion, but stages have lost some details, but lets be clear here this was always going to happen.

The main problem I have with the looks is water. In Super Monkey Ball, the water isn't them most nice looking I've ever seen, but it's passable... and then I played on Burning Rangers. The water on burnig rangers is quite bad. Now I can play that track on the console version quite well... but on the Vita it's another story, at times it was hard to tell how high I was from the water due to the lack of texture and detail on it.

* It's surprising how well it actually plays. I've had a Vita since October, but I've not really played it. I've beaten Uncharted and played a chunk of Gravity Rush, but otherwise it's mainly been smaller app type games. So this is really the first 'test' I've had as to how well I can use a Vita. At first my magical powers had gone =( but within 2 races or so I was back in the game! It was quite a good thumbs up that you can go from a console to the handheld and retain your skill quickly.

The only problem I have is that, it's a lot harder to do tricks and risk boosts. I don't know if this is the design of the Vita or the build of the game. At times I'm convinced that I'm holding left or right on the analogue stick only to suddenly to a loop instead of a roll which ruins my run. Might just be me but I was convinced that I had done this correctly.

* online mode... The first few games I played, I was convinced I was going to come on here and announce that the Vitas online mode is better than the consoles... then I got hit by a random player and spun out wildly... this then happened 3 more times. Yeah the online mode shares the same problems as the console version, but it doesn't appear to be as rampant as the console version.

* It feels a tad harder. Ok this might just be me not being used to using a Vita fully... but this game 'feels' a bit harder. I don't know I might be wrong and it might be because I'm playing on a smaller screen, but it does feel slightly harder right now... maybe it's just lack of playing Vita experience...?

* The Team Sonic trophy needs looking at. As with the console version this trophy/challenge is a bit restrictive due to the needs of the player and the structure of the game. However the Vita has an additional problem. The description is play in a game with Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy & Shadow... thats it... Well... actualy, you also have to win a race.. erm... I have only ever had that scenario once online. And that was in a rare occasion when I had 10 people in the lobby.

The game itself also restricts this from happening.

The first thing I did was attempt to get this online. I figured since I had the experience from the console version, I'd be in with a chance of winning an online race.

Problem 1: Getting players to pick said characters. Amy is not a popular character to play as, finding a player willing to pick her is rare. Tails shares a similar issue.

Problem 2: The game restricts 'new' players from getting this.

When you first get the game, Sonic, Tails, Knuckles & Amy can be selected from the word go. Shadow cannot. To unlock Shadow you have to beat the first tour mode and then beat half of the second tour.... In the grand scheme of things, this isn't a lot of work, but it's still a lot of investment one has to do just to be able to get this one reward.

In one online game, I was in a room with 5 people... one guy picked Sonic, then very very slowly, someone picked Tails and then Amy.. the last two guys remained on ?... then one of them picked Knuckles... the other guy however didn't pick Shadow. Checking their 'licenses' it became obvious that none of us had Shadow unlocked, but we all knew of the trophy and wanted to go for it.

But the game restricts us from doing this.

Problem 3: The game itself restricts others from getting in an ideal world. Strangers would stay in the same lobby and everybody would get a chance to go for this... but the fact you have to 'win' the race means what tends to happen is that when someone has all the online content, they quit. Which is why you need to find people and ask them to join you to help.... but.. why should I have to do this?

The experinence of playing the Vita version of this game has certainly been enjoyable. Mainly because the transition coming from a console version is easy. If you're good at the console version, odds are you'll be good at this version. You won't instantly be able to pull off amazing times coming to the portable system, you will have to adapt and realise that it's a 'different' game and experience. But it's not a huge change and you will be back on form shortly.

I do recommend that if you have a Vita and want to play ASRT when on the go to pick it up. it's very decently priced right now and the main complaing I have right now is that the water sections on some stages don't look nice. If you can get past that, you'll probably enjoy this version.

P.S. During the writing of this post I managed to figure out how to access the beta/unreleased sticker content and figured out how to re-create the glitch. Go me!

I prefer playing the Vita version than the PS3, don't know why...

And for the water sections, I don't really see the big deal. You are suppose to be RACING not exploring. Unless you're looking at the water on the stage intro, there should be no reason to look at the water during a race. Unless you don't want to come 1st.

I unlocked Shadow in less in 2 hours of gameplay...so he's easy to get. 

'New' players shouldn't go straight to the lobby and play anyway. They should familarize themselves on single player before attempting online. Team Sonic is hard to get on the PS3 legit, so it's obvious they are going to make it as hard on the Vita.

Yes I am racing.

So it would be nice if the water was clear and distinct in a manner that made it easy to judge how close I am to it when coming off a jump. This is not the case in Burning Rangers, the colour is so bad at times it's hard to distinct it from the concrete structures. This is a major problem when coming off that jump in the second lap. 

Also... the fact I'm not supposed to be exploring is no excuse. It looks really bad in some stages. Since when does the genre excuse matters like this.

The Team Sonic trophies on both versions as not hard as much as they're badly restrictive. Asking the console users to have 4 pads is ridiculous. Very few people have that let alone 4 people who are competant enough to use them so you can do it alone.

The Vita is exactly the same. Considering it's smaller userbase, restricting how you unlock that multiplayer trophy in any way makes no sense. You have to hope that people play enough of the single player enough to enjoy it and get that far to unlock shadow. Whereas the other characters are unlocked from the start.

Also. 5 players... a full lobby is only 8 people. So you have to hope that over 50% of that lobby picks the right characters. I'm in a full lobby race now... only 2 people have picked the characters needed to unlock that... and one of them was me.

Not to mention, due to the desing of the game, that being the more you progress the more you unlock, it also means if players unlock the other characters, theres more choice so it's even less likely they'll pick the required characters.

• Thumbs Up 1

I prefer playing the Vita version than the PS3, don't know why...

Maybe it is the portable aspect? I love playing in my DS/PSP/Wii U Gamepad compared to my TV.

WTF, we are two weeks from the release of the 3DS version, quite possibly the version that may sell the best overall, and the only media we have is the Nintendo Direct footage and 3 incredibly blurry shot from the eshop. 

I would have thought that SEGA would have tried to push this version a little bit more considering how open the audience is to kart games and the lack of racing games in general for the system....

Where's the demo, screenshots, trailer?

The only thing to come out recently is the fact that the game will in fact be offered as a digital download and that info just came from the eshop listing. 

I really hope whatever we get is good, especially after the delay and how nicely the project was coming along from the ND footage. 

WTF, we are two weeks from the release of the 3DS version, quite possibly the version that may sell the best overall, and the only media we have is the Nintendo Direct footage and 3 incredibly blurry shot from the eshop. 

I would have thought that SEGA would have tried to push this version a little bit more considering how open the audience is to kart games and the lack of racing games in general for the system....

The only thing to come out recently is the fact that the game will in fact be offered as a digital download and that info just came from the eshop listing. 

I really hope whatever we get is good, especially after the delay and how nicely the project was coming along from the ND footage. 

The vita version didn't get any announcements or promotion outside of the mini site on Sony's servers.

>SEGA

>Marketing

Nothing new.

Oh wow, this can't be real. The 3DS version may actually look better than the Vita.

Basically the Vita just had extremely downgraded graphics of the console versions, making a ton of it look ugly. IGN even said the colors were terrible and it looked worse than Mario Kart 7.

With ASR 3DS being built from the ground up and having assets unique to the version and not simply a low quality version, it seems to look really nice.