Awoo.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing: Transformed -- Portable Versions (3DS,PSVITA,iOS)

Unidus

It's hard to tell from that footage because, it's damn blurry. However, the water seems to look better in that it doesn't look like a mess of blue.

Oh wow, this can't be real. The 3DS version may actually look better than the Vita.

Basically the Vita just had extremely downgraded graphics of the console versions, making a ton of it look ugly. IGN even said the colors were terrible and it looked worse than Mario Kart 7.

You never seen the Vita play Transformed in motion. Stop using those screenshots and comparing it to this video. It's like you don't listen. =/

And IGN's the only site that mentions that garbage. How can a Vita game be much worse than Mario Kart 7 in graphics?

Edited by Merry Ming Shana

Well, the Vita version IS a surprisingly significant downgrade from the console versions. I've been playing it almost exclusively for the last week. Still looks great, though. Except for the water in some areas.

Of course the Vita is the worst looking version out of the consoles. It's not powerful as its brother. The water textures isn't "perfect", but there's more to it then just "water". The vehicles look nice, loading times are much faster, the level designs on it looks decent...

You never seen the Vita play Transformed in motion. Stop using those screenshots and comparing it to this video. It's like you don't listen. =/

And IGN's the only site that mentions that garbage. How can a Vita game be much worse than Mario Kart 7 in graphics?

I'm not saying you're wrong, but by your logic, how can Sonic 06 look worse than Twilight Princess or Mario Galaxy or even Secret Rings?

Edited by PSI Freeze

If we're actually going down the road of 'which handheld version looks better' since it's obvious now that the Vita version is a poor mans console port and the 3DS seems to be a poor mans build of the console version.

The footage has a similar problem to when people were uploading Vita footage when it came out, that being it's hard to tell how nice it looks due to the light coming off the screen into the camera combined with the movement on the screen distorts the image... aka... it looks blured.

The real test will be comparing the Burning Rangers track, this one is by far the worst looking track on the Vita course, mainly due to the water colours/textures.

The 3DS version, at the moment it does look better, but mainly because it's not a console downgrade as much as it's it's own thing. Although looking at it, it's very very basic. The menus/stats screens are so just the bare bones of information. Track select screen. Theres nothing going on. Unlike both the console and Vita version, theres some form of movement, things flying aroun the courses, and you can see other courses in the background. Here it just looks like a blank stage floating in the air.

Other thins too, like when it comes up with the 'XP' during a race, it's very basic white text and there doesn't seem to be as many announcements when a player does certain actions.

lol ok at 7:40 the bees definately don't look as good as they do on the Vita, neither does the ice powerup which is used just before it.

At the end of the video, when the payer is going through the menus, just... so boring looking, it's literally just a menu tree.

If you really wanna play the 'what looks better' game. What are you comparing exactly? The Vita version is basically the console version just on a downgraded level. The 3DS is it's own thing, but it lacks a lot of the small and larger touches of both the consoles and Vita.

LOL @ BD Joe!

Anyway, the person who owned the game says the framerate is quite low in the 3DS version. Which is pretty bad. The menus are very basic too. He did say however that it's better than Mario Kart 7's graphics.

He recommends if you have a console version, you should stick with it. Hard mode is very easy compared to the consoles/Vita.

LOL NiGHTS didn't transformed into... NiGHTS on the 3DS version. I smell the shit storm coming a mile away. And I'm sorry, the Vita version still looks better, the 3DS versions seems to be lacking a lot of particle details and movement on the track.

Edited by Jango

^ That's because of the framerate is low. The movement of the vehicles is going to be bad.

Hm, it's almost a shame that the 3DS version will still likely outsell the others, though.

When you finish 1st, I just realized the announcer doesn't say "FINISHED! Congratulations, 1st place!" like the PC/console/Vita versions.

When you finish 1st, I just realized the announcer doesn't say "FINISHED! Congratulations, 1st place!" like the PC/console/Vita versions.

He does have extra clips though.

He does have extra clips though.

You mean new clips, not extra. Some clips have been removed, while there are some new ones like "StreetPass". =o

Why do you seem to get overly defensive whenever the Vita is mentioned?

You don't seem to get it and you missed my entire point. The 3DS version isn't taking assets and downgrading them. It looks like it is its own build with everything optimized for the machine. That means it isn't taking levels and cutting out lighting and reducing the texture. It is having its own texture, own lighting system, 3DS water, etc. Especially on the water, since HogFather keeps stating the game is nearly unplayable on certain stages.

The framerate though? If it really bad then that is kind of sad. It really could have competed with Mario Kart 7 if it ran at full FPS. But I'm wondering if this is with the 3D on, or off. IIRC, 3D on takes power from the system and lowers the performance on many games.

Edited by Autosaver

Why do you seem to get overly defensive whenever the Vita is mentioned?

Especially on the water, since HogFather keeps stating the game is nearly unplayable on certain stages.

If Hogfather said the Vita is almost unplayable when we drive on water, then there is something wrong with his copy of the game or Vita. I'm dead serious.

I'm getting defensive over this game because you keep bringing on false things like the colors are terrible. I would have agreed with you if it was just the water, but nope. Sounds like you mean overall. Also you brought up that it's worse than MK7 because of what IGN said. IGN? Really? You're only listening to them?

And I just played Seasonal Shrines on the Vita. The water looks nice there.

LOL @ BD Joe!

Anyway, the person who owned the game says the framerate is quite low in the 3DS version. Which is pretty bad. The menus are very basic too. He did say however that it's better than Mario Kart 7's graphics.

He recommends if you have a console version, you should stick with it. Hard mode is very easy compared to the consoles/Vita.

The frame rate is probably 30 FPS, in comparison to Mario Kart 7 that IS very low. Nintendo managed to get Mario Kart 7 running at 60 FPS with the 3D turned on. Also, what happened to BD Joe is hilarious. Apparently the collision in the 3DS version is weird in a different way from the console and Vita versions.

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph

I'm getting defensive over this game because you keep bringing on false things like the colors are terrible

Which reviewers and fans have already pointed out the colors not being as good compared to the PS3 and not even close to what Mario Kart 7 offers.

Also you brought up that it's worse than MK7 because of what IGN said. IGN? Really? You're only listening to them?

Videos, screens, and other people.

Honestly, I'm not surprised a game like Mario Kart 7 is more eye popping than the PSV port of ASRT.

Edit: I really don't feel like arguing over the ports of the game. Honestly, SEGA has been giving little marketing toward either versions. Both versions will bomb IMO. I highly doubt we're going to get more reviews, screens, and videos.

Edited by Autosaver

Which reviewers and fans have already pointed out the colors ... not even close to what Mario Kart 7 offers.

Which "fans" and "reviewers" except IGN? 

Videos, screens, and other people.

Again, which "fans" and "reviewers" except IGN?

Compare MK7 screens with Vita screens then, and tell me which one looks worse.

New-Mario-Kart-7-Screenshots.jpg

Honestly, I'm not surprised a game like Mario Kart 7 is more eye popping than the PSV port of ASRT.

...the only thing I can think of that MK7 plays better than PSV version is because the Vita version is around 30FPS and the water textures in most stages are bad. But, that's it.

Edit: I really don't feel like arguing over the ports of the game.

But you're the one who brought this up again. Edited by Merry Ming Shana

since HogFather keeps stating the game is nearly unplayable on certain stages.

The fuck? No I don't. In fact I said the game runs fine.

I never once said it was near unplayable on certain stages. I said it was hard to at times to tell the difference between the water and the concrete structures on ONE track.

Since then I've beaten all of the time attack modes, all of GP and rapidly working my way through career mode on expert... thats certainly impressive considering I've been going around saying it's near unplayable!

I think I've only made about 4 posts on the subject of the Vita version and how it plays and I've certainly not gone around saying that the thing is unplayable at all! I wonder This is what I had to say on the subject of how the Vita version plays.

It's surprising how well it actually plays. I've had a Vita since October, but I've not really played it. I've beaten Uncharted and played a chunk of Gravity Rush, but otherwise it's mainly been smaller app type games. So this is really the first 'test' I've had as to how well I can use a Vita. At first my magical powers had gone =( but within 2 races or so I was back in the game! It was quite a good thumbs up that you can go from a console to the handheld and retain your skill quickly.

That Mario Kart 7 screen just looks pixel filled. Other than that, you can see the colors pop out with a lot of emotion going into the game. Footage of the game also looks great. But yeah, the quality looks worse when stuck. Everyone knows that and this is more apparent on a system that doesn't display HD/lower resolution. The problem is that All Stars is just downgraded on the Vita, while Mario Kart 7 on the other hand is built exclusively for the system. I've been saying this over and over, and it explains why each game ended up the way it is.

But you're the one who brought this up again.

I brought it up after seeing footage of the 3DS version. If I say I'm going to be surprised if the 3DS version ends up looking better, so be it. No need to argue over it. Especially when the footage of the 3DS game is extremely blurry and same with the PSVita. Unless someone physically takes both games and compares them side by side, an argument of opinions won't be going anywhere.

Edit: @HogFather - This is what I'm referring to.

This is not the case in Burning Rangers, the colour is so bad at times it's hard to distinct it from the concrete structures. This is a major problem when coming off that jump in the second lap.

I was going off memory, but I think my point got across either way. Basically, you said the color of the water was really bad that it becomes a problem. I guess I remembered you just having a terrible time with Burning Rangers which ended up making it hard to play - which makes it reasonable where my memory got the unplayable part from.

By the way, I didn't say that the Vita version is entirely unplayable. I mainly stated that you stated that the water problem has affected your gameplay. I may have said multiple tracks, but that is a mistake. I'm not sure if it is a problem with other Water centric levels like Race of Ages.

Edit 2: Woah man, Hogfather, not cool.

Edit 3: Nvm actually. I'm just going to take a break

Spoiler Edit: Yeah, I'm really not in the mood anymore so feel free to read through. You can counter reply (I will read it, I promise Ming). It is nice to see different views on the same subject, as it differentiates people from one another. The world would be boring if we all viewed the same way.

Edited by Autosaver

Okay I made a comparison between the versions.

KQvAfWA.jpg

Clearly Vita beats 3DS, even though the 3DS shot was taken from a video.

Why does the Vita version lose all the color? Even the 3DS keeps the red/brown combo.

And where did all the lights go? O.o

They probably should have just built the Vita version from the ground up like the 3DS version, it would have looked so much better. But, I figure that just wasn't in the cards.

Why does the Vita version lose all the color? Even the 3DS keeps the red/brown combo.

And where did all the lights go? O.o

"All" the color? You mean just brown? rolleyes.gif

The Vita has the loss of brown but red? And while, the Vita did lose brown, I look at the cyan as a reflection of the cyan glass tiles. That's what most people would think when they play the version. Oh, and a lot of brown is shown elsewhere in the track, it's this particular scene that doesn't have it.

What's more important though is the lack of detail on the 3DS version. The train is the dead obvious one, but what about the graffiti? After all, this is Graffifi City.

Yeah, that is really dumb. You would think if they would save one thing, it would be the Graffiti. Shame that it didn't appear, especially in a level/game known for it. On a positive note, you see extra detail with lights, barred glass, and the retainment of the reddish brown floor combo (not the train Ming, the floor).

Here is a water comparison I quickly made.

Je5A8tA.png

Differences to note:

Elimination of water "draft"

Water looking completely different - it actually looks a lot better on the inferior 3DS version. The Vita version resembles some sort of one textured color base while the 3DS has many different colors with depth being thrown in. And overall, the color of the water pops much better (3D too!) on the 3DS version.

Considering that stages can be heavily focused on water, and most have water sections in them, this may bog down the graphical experience. It also be become a problem in certain situations.

I really want to know how the game looks with 3D on though. I'd also love to see to see direct footage of the game.