Awoo.

Special Stages

hangarninetysix

I pretty much suck and have always sucked at the classic special stages, but I have to say I enjoy the half pipe the most. This could however, be because Sonic 2 is my favourite classic game. tongue.png

Blue Spheres is only hard if you don't know to surround the spheres and turn them into rings.

Did anything ever hint at that? Did the manual tell you? idfk, but they're anything but hard once you know to do that.

The only thing I remember the manual saying was that any glitches or oversights were tricks put there by Eggman...

The dreaded Carnival Night barrel was much more evil than any blue sphere stage.

I just remembered the Special Stages in the Saturn port of Sonic 3D were enjoyable if my memory serves... it may be warped by how dull the rest of the game was though.

The first time I played a Blue Sphere stage, my gut instinct was to go around the borders of them, not knowing what would happen. Maybe that's why I don't find them as difficult as most say.

The only thing I remember the manual saying was that any glitches or oversights were tricks put there by Eggman...

So he's the one responsible for Sonic 06. It's Anti-Sonic propaganda.

Well played, doctor.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just played S4E1... and I have to say, the special stages were great. I don't know if I liked the time limit being so strict on some levels, but the overall concept was great. Cool music too. Nice to see they kept the trippyness of the background.

I think it would have been cooler if they had the red rings be portals to the special stage instead though, to encourage more exploration.

I agree. I like the new music and design. However, the time limit can be pretty brutal, and they are impossible to beat with the iOS tilt controls.

I agree. I like the new music and design. However, the time limit can be pretty brutal, and they are impossible to beat with the iOS tilt controls.

Yeah, I liked the re-design of the Sonic 1 special stages as well.

I would say that the Ep1 special stages overall are fractionally harder than the Ep2 half pipe stages. It's not quite as easy to memorise the Ep1 special stages. Both Ep1 & Ep2 have tricky stages for the seventh emerald.

I have to admit that I have never completed the Ep1 stages by using the alternative option of tilting the controller to move the maze. That method is rock hard.

Edited by NightwingFox

Yeah, I liked the re-design of the Sonic 1 special stages as well.

I would say that the Ep1 special stages overall are fractionally harder than the Ep2 half pipe stages. It's not quite as easy to memorise the Ep1 special stages. Both Ep1 & Ep2 have tricky stages for the seventh emerald.

I have to admit that I have never completed the Ep1 stages by using the alternative option of tilting the controller to move the maze. That method is rock hard.

I got the last Chaos Emerald in Episode 1 on my first try.

In Episode 2, after failing to get the Rings that are on the top of that one section for the last Emerald 30 or so times, I stopped trying to go for them, and Tails went up there by himself and got all the Rings for me. I lol'd very hard.

Also, the ability to go to the Menu before running out of time and press "Retry" helps...

• Thumbs Up 1

Blue Spheres is only hard if you don't know to surround the spheres and turn them into rings.

Did anything ever hint at that? Did the manual tell you? idfk, but they're anything but hard once you know to do that.

I vividly remember performing that technique early on, based on the manuals.

Oh, on topic, I don't like any of them, but Blue Spheres is tolerable.

The first time I played a Blue Sphere stage, my gut instinct was to go around the borders of them, not knowing what would happen. Maybe that's why I don't find them as difficult as most say.

So he's the one responsible for Sonic 06. It's Anti-Sonic propaganda.

Well played, doctor.

As someone previously commented on Pokecapn's lp : "All throughout Sonic's portion of the game, I had the theory that the camera was on Eggman's payroll, because it clearly wanted you dead." -wilijar313

From all those lives lost, that makes him a technical mass-murderer, sod off Mephiles.

Edited by Treacher
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

I've always been rather fond of Blue Sphere's. It's always been strangely addictive, if a bit frustrating due to the difficulty as it goes on. The music's also catchy. To be honest, this is probably the only Special Stage I've ever really been fond of. One because it's fairly easy and two, because it can be a whole lot of fun. 

I hate to say it, but I never liked them except for Blue Sphere, which I love.

I am sick and tired of SEGA rehashing Sonic 2's half-pipe. Not only do I think it is one of the more annoying ones, but they ALWAYS seem to use it...

Knuckles Chaotix had an interesting one

Sonic 1 was annoying

Sonic 2 was difficult and annoying

Sonic 3 & K was great

Sonic CD's was hard mostly because of the controls, and just frustrating

I never got to try any of the others (not counting the rehashes [i do count Sonic Heroes' as a Sonic 2 rehash, although I may be stretching it]) personally, but from what I have seen on youtube, it doesn't look like I will enjoy it.

If Game Land in Sonic Colors counts, I'm going with that. Otherwise, Sonic 1's, just because I seem to have the easiest time with them.

Edited by thapoint09

I discovered that completely by accident. biggrin.png

I'm not a huge fan of Sonic 1's Special Stage, and I like Sonic 4's "version" of it even less.

Sonic 2's is one of my favourite stages in Classic Sonic. I remember playing the 2P version with my sister when we were kids.

Get Blue Spheres is probably my favourite Special stage. I like the music and the idea, although the noise of the spheres changing colour sometimes gets a bit annoying.

I think the one I like the least is Sonic 3D on the Mega Drive - I found it incredibly dull, it looks kinda "flat" and the music got on my nerves.

Edited by MamboHoHo!

To be fair, I think we'd be sick of Blue Sphere too if it had been rehashed over and over again.  Whereas as it stands it's essentially unique - it's never been reused and none of the other special stages are that much like it.

I think having to explore to find the special rings to enter the special stages is a winner, though - it rewards exploration, and it's not restrictive, i.e. there's more than one in each zone so you can collect Emeralds at the pace of your skill.  Given that special stages and Chaos Emeralds are optional anyway, I feel like finding them should be "more" optional, too.

SRA_Special_Stage.jpg
Race another Character
How to Get There: Find Johnny on the World Map
I'm all for having Sonic race an enemy or rival character to the Chaos Emerald at the end, just as long as the races are based on skill and not how many upgrades you have.

I feel like you're implying that the races did depend on upgrades and not on player skill?  Maybe I'm misreading you, in which case I apologise.  But all of the Johnny races were possible to complete without a single upgrade, although admittedly the penultimate (I think) one was ridiculously hard.  But you always had the chance to retry immediately, which I think makes it acceptable.  (Well, maybe just that one needed toning down.)

Why are the special stages... SO DAMN HARD?

Let me start by saying this - if it wasn't for Sonic Mega-collection's save feature, I would never be able to collect all the chaos emeralds on the classics.

Sonic 4 ep.1's special stages are just broken. The ring collection is hard enough without having to worry about the "end" bumpers, and then they had to go and add a time limit. WHY?!?

Sonic Heroes stages I have no problems with. It's merely a case of timing your boosting correctly so you don't boost blindly into the bombs.

Sonic Rush's special stages are broken versions of Sonic 2's. It would be so much easier if you had control over your jumping, but oh no, they had to remove that. You'll never get enough rings if you don't hit the trick springs.

Sonic Colours stages are brilliant. Just like normal stages. It's collecting the red rings that's frustrating.

I've no doubt they should be a challenge - but they shouldn't be so hard that you have to be a gaming god to complete.

Why are the special stages... SO DAMN HARD?

Sonic Colours stages are brilliant. Just like normal stages. It's collecting the red rings that's frustrating.

Just like the normal stages, except extra bland. Bleugh

Isn't the point of Special Stages that they're, I dunno, special? Different to the usual gameplay. 

Blue spheres is  easily the most enjoyable and looks great.

I also liked the ones in flickies island when I was little, they're ridiculously easy but they're fun.

Sonic3DSpecialStage.png

I love the original halfpipe stage though, it's just so iconic of the series, it's been done to death now but it's still an awesome design.

Also this.......

6ef8078033d67e272a0c447e8678fc41-sonic-2

Just like the normal stages, except extra bland. Bleugh

Isn't the point of Special Stages that they're, I dunno, special? Different to the usual gameplay. 

If by "different" you mean way less fun than the rest of the game, than sure.

Edited by thapoint09

I didn't like Sonic Colors Special Stages. It was permanently unlocked, so you could just retry as many times as you wanted, it didn't feel like a special opportunity you had to make sure you cashed in on in order to beat the game. I also didn't like the method of access... I think 140 out of 180 or something like that would have been more reasonable. I had to use a guide to find all the red rings.

Or, they could have it accessible via giant ring in score screen after you S rank a level. I actually think that'd fit quite nicely.

Edited by hangarninetysix

Let's get Blueballs! I actually find this to be one of the more frustrating but you get the hang of it. Sonic 2 being my favorite classic I must say I also enjoyed the half pipe and its rehashings since especially in Heroes which I found quite simple as opposed to the memory based original. I also like CD's UFO stages and found them more doable as well. But I think my favorite would be the original mazes, just the right amount of challenge. Although I must also admit without the save feature of the collections I would've never gotten all the emeralds in the old games either, the controls were so wonky. I gotta say they they had something with the "you just get them as the story progresses" thing.

I swear, seeing Clement play them, K. Chaotix's special stages sicken me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Most of them are underwhelming.  I personally don't like Blue Spheres at all.  Apart from the music.  It just bores me senseless.  It's difficult to explain why, and normally I'm fairly open minded enough to admit "I can see why people like this" but I honestly can't see that either.  I don't quite understand what the big deal about it is.  

Special stages are all gimmicky to be honest.  I'd rather see them try to do some kind of psychedelic play on the normal gameplay style for the special stage rather than something completely different and annoyingly linear.  I just wish there was more substance and depth to the special stages. 

• Thumbs Up 1

From what I've seen, they're nothing more than the gazillionth rehash of Sonic 2's Special Stages.

From what I've seen, they're nothing more than the gazillionth rehash of Sonic 2's Special Stages.

Yeah, but at least the stages play well. I can't say the same for Sonic 2's Special Stages...

• Thumbs Up 1

They're nice to look at, and I like the sort of "haha Tails you wanker" animation at the end of each "round". I also didn't mind missing a Chaos Emerald seeing as the animation for "not enough rings" makes Sonic and Tails look like they're absolutely despairing, it's so funny.

But yeah, total rehash of Sonic 2's, so I prefer playing that...