Awoo.

Sonic Jump for iOS will be out on the 18th.

Shaddix Leto Croft

So basically what do you guys think is the best way to get Rings quick? I wanna buy Amy and items gosh darnit!

Paying with real money is the fastest way tongue.png Amy's not too amazing though. She's like Sonic, but uber slow. I wanna unlock Rouge and Silver.

Edited by Blue Blood

Paying with real money is the fasted way tongue.png Amy's not too amazing though. She's like Sonic, but uber slow. I wanna unlock Rouge and Silver.

Real money doesn't count! I meant without giving into the cheap moneygrabbing.

And yeah I hear she's not too fab, I just wanna unlock everything though (including Rouge and Silver, I only just got enough money for Knuckles by the time I'd unlocked Amy)

Real money doesn't count! I meant without giving into the cheap moneygrabbing.

And yeah I hear she's not too fab, I just wanna unlock everything though (including Rouge and Silver, I only just got enough money for Knuckles by the time I'd unlocked Amy)

My tactic is to just play the final Green Hill boss over and over and draw it out as long as possible. There's quite a few rings there and you can jump about happily avoiding Eggman for as long as you wish without any real danger. I usually go for 1000 rings a play, which takes about 10-12 minutes before I decide to actually start attacking. 

The fastest way to get rings I'd actually say is repeatedly doing Arcade. You'll make far more rings that way than any other way total. Try and land on bank safes as much as you can, especially if you've got a lot of rings. If you're going to fall, making sure you don't hit anything that will make you lose rings on the way down; as long as you fall off the bottom of the screen, all rings you have left in Arcade will be added to your collection.

Eggman in Green Hill might work, but Arcade is probably still a lot better, especially since you don't have to avoid Eggman the whole time (Eggman does pop up in Arcade, but having him there temporarily isn't so bad as having him following you the whole time).

EDIT: Yay I can finally play again! Sega FINALLY put out the update to fix it on 3GS. Time to unlock Rouge and try to beat my last two missions so I can get Silver as well.

Odd, a lot of the stages look a lot different. They really reworked the levels. They also lowered the difficulty a bit, which I find to be a good thing; the original difficulty spikes dramatically, so this helps to balance it out.

Edited by Relm Kisaragi

Unlike what the front page says, this is most likely for one day only. Or at least I'd assume so because that's pretty much the norm for iOS apps.

Edited by TimmiT

Well...isn't that going to tick some people off.

Considering it was so cheap previously, and that most people who wanted this on iPhone probably got it already, and that this is likely to just be a special offer, nobody should be ticked of..

Considering it was so cheap previously, and that most people who wanted this on iPhone probably got it already, and that this is likely to just be a special offer, nobody should be ticked of..
I should. I bought it just YESTERDAY NIGHT. Agh, well, whatever. You can't always have it your way. I'll just deal with it.

Wasn't it like 3 dollars? I'd be pissed if I wasted 3 dollars on a game that becomes free the next day.

I bought it a while ago so I can't complain.

Okay, that cracked me up.

They've now added a 'free rings' option to the shop, where you watch a 30-second video ad to get 100 free rings. As far as I can tell it's infinitely spammable, meaning it's an effective means of getting free rings. It's definitely inefficient compared to actually shelling out and buying rings, but it's probably a more effective (and efficient) way of getting rings than trying to farm them legit in-game for those who aren't willing to shell out.

As for what cracked me up? The first video ad I got was for some kind of pretty-violent Mafia app game, which included footage of someone beating another person over the head with a baseball bat (in-game that is, not actual human video footage, but still)

You know, in an ad shown in a Sonic game. laugh.png

EDIT: Looks like it's not as infinitely spammable as I thought: it stops giving you rings and tells you to come back later after a while.

Edited by -Mark-
  • Thumbs Up 2

Plus doing Arcade is way faster.

Just unlocked Rouge. So, Rouge is a little bit different, and the only character who ACTUALLY has a "special ability" so far. She's decently fast, probably not a slow as Blaze. She's got the slowest descent of all characters, though, but in an interesting way. On her second jump, Rouge will "hover" for a few seconds before she falls. This can be INSANELY useful in certain situations and can be a real lifesaver, especially in Arcade.

Knuckles is still way faster, of course, but in Arcade being fast isn't necessarily the best thing. Rouge could also be useful for collecting Red Rings if you're having a hard time collecting them.

I think I'm going to have to unlock Silver by paying in rings to get the last two missions. I cannot for the life of me beat these two. But I'm going to try one more time with Knuckles using the start boost, which I've now fully upgraded. Hopefully this works. I gotta get another 1,000 rings to do it first, though.

EDIT: Ok, I just tried Amy again for the heck of it, and she seems to be faster now. I do recall a couple of missions in Blue Sky Zone she couldn't even complete because  she was so slow. I'm going to try her out there again. She may be worth it to play now after all.

Edited by Relm Kisaragi

So this may or may not be useless information but...
I've figured out why Sonic Jump was/is free, it's for Apple's 12 days of Christmas however they have to accomodate for all the timezones, I guess, so while the app saying it's free may not have updated, the store has to.
I suspect it will go off 00:00 31/12/12 GMT-12

I think the fastest way to collect riings is not in Arcade Mode, but playing the first Jungle Zone boss fight. With Knuckles, I'm able to collect over 300 rings in two minutes. Of course, you have to dodge Eggman and the rockets, but that's not hard at all as the rockets always go the same way.

For Silver and Rouge, they play pretty much similar to each other. While Rouge has her flutter ability, Silver levitates after a double jump for a short time. The only difference is that Silver can attack Badniks while and shortly after levitating, and can hit them even from above. However, Rouge is vulnerable during her flutter ability, and I also believe her to be a tad slower than Silver.
While their special abilities can be helpful for Arcade Mode, they are terrible for time attack as the special ability is activated every time you do a double jump, and don't even get me started on boss fights. It is almost impossible to defeat Eggman in Jungle Zone with Rouge or Silver. Their jumps are as fast as Amy's, but they are slower than the rest of the characters.

With Sonic & Blaze and Rouge & Silver playing similar to each other, I have a feeling that Cream, Shadow and Vector will play similar to Tails, Knuckles and Amy. I hope it doesn't turn out to be true, though.

I think the fastest way to collect riings is not in Arcade Mode, but playing the first Jungle Zone boss fight. With Knuckles, I'm able to collect over 300 rings in two minutes. Of course, you have to dodge Eggman and the rockets, but that's not hard at all as the rockets always go the same way.

For Silver and Rouge, they play pretty much similar to each other. While Rouge has her flutter ability, Silver levitates after a double jump for a short time. The only difference is that Silver can attack Badniks while and shortly after levitating, and can hit them even from above. However, Rouge is vulnerable during her flutter ability, and I also believe her to be a tad slower than Silver.

While their special abilities can be helpful for Arcade Mode, they are terrible for time attack as the special ability is activated every time you do a double jump, and don't even get me started on boss fights. It is almost impossible to defeat Eggman in Jungle Zone with Rouge or Silver. Their jumps are as fast as Amy's, but they are slower than the rest of the characters.

With Sonic & Blaze and Rouge & Silver playing similar to each other, I have a feeling that Cream, Shadow and Vector will play similar to Tails, Knuckles and Amy. I hope it doesn't turn out to be true, though.

Well, yeah, I knew they would be horrible for time attack. But it can certainly be helpful in Arcade at times. Depends on the way you want to go.

Sounds like Silver is better than Rouge. Granted it also requires completing the last two missions... that's kinda annoying. Is 30 really the highest level?

I got this game today on the IOS store for free due to the 12 days of Christmas thing they do. I haven't played much of it, but from what I did play, its fun and challenging for a little IOS game. The graphics are nice and the music is catchy, but I can't find myself playing this for long periods of time. 

Got it for the iPhone. Been playing all day. May put it on iPad later on so that I can just play it all over again.

I've never been a big fan of vertical jumper games, but SJ is intriguing me left and right. So many missions and unlockable content keep me interested. I'm currently at Level 17 in the mission count, and nothing from the missions has stumped me too much.

Except for the "Defeat 18 enemies in a Story Act" mission, but that's because I haven't bothered to count enemies while I'm focusing on not dying, lol. Anyone know a stage offhand where I can finish this mission up?

Blue Sky Zone has like 30 enemies in each stage.

I'm stuck on beat a Mountain Zone level in less than 15 seconds...

Why exactly was this given free during Sega's financial crisis? Game's alright I guess

Why exactly was this given free during Sega's financial crisis? Game's alright I guess

Because the game shamelessly tries to bleed money out of you at every possible opportunity to the point where it practically bullies you into giving it your money. 

They'll get far more money out of putting the game in the hands of as many people as possible and hoping said people spend money on in-app purchases than they would simply from letting people buy the game of their own volition.

• Thumbs Up 1

Because the game shamelessly tries to bleed money out of you at every possible opportunity to the point where it practically bullies you into giving it your money. 

They'll get far more money out of putting the game in the hands of as many people as possible and hoping said people spend money on in-app purchases than they would simply from letting people buy the game of their own volition.

If you take publicity into account, how many people outside the fanbase will think of buying? Relatively few. But if you make it free, they'll at least think "I'll take a look at it, it's free". Then it's like you mentioned: the money comes from buying characters and rings. And a surprising amount of people actually pay money for those things.

But another aspect that is far more important to SEGA is brand awareness. If it works like intended and people outside the fanbase get the game (and like it), then they'll be more inclined to buy future Sonic games (or at least future mobile Sonic games). This helps create a long-term position in the marketplace for the franchise.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, yeah, I knew they would be horrible for time attack. But it can certainly be helpful in Arcade at times. Depends on the way you want to go.

Sounds like Silver is better than Rouge. Granted it also requires completing the last two missions... that's kinda annoying. Is 30 really the highest level?

Yes, they are fine for Arcade Mode, but I think any character is as long as you know how to use him. It can be quite frustrating, however, when you do a double jump and want to land on a transparent platform, Silver/Rouge float in the sky and the platform disappears as soon as they start descending.

Yep, level 30 is the highest level for now. When the game receives another update, there will certainly be new missions as well. There aren't even any missions for Sky Blue Zone yet.

Edited by LukA8