Awoo.

Sonic Jump for iOS will be out on the 18th.

Shaddix Leto Croft

It's remixes of the tunes from the first game? Fuck yes. Will totally be downloading this tomorrow.

That art style is fucking gorgeous... just get a load of those Eggman renders!

Forget about Eggman! Knuckles - that's where it's at!!

(Eggman is still awesome yup)

Edited by ArtFenix

In fairness, aren't most (if not all) of them existing renders that have just been painted/ traced over in a different colouring/ shading style?

In fairness, aren't most (if not all) of them existing renders that have just been painted/ traced over in a different colouring/ shading style?

Most of them are new).

This art style is perfect for a new main Sonic game. I hope it's not just a one-off for this little thing.

• Thumbs Up 6

So wait, does the game use a 3D model for Sonic, or just pre-rendered sprites made from a model?

I'll second the opinion that the style in this is very nice and would look great in a main series game.

This art style is perfect for a new main Sonic game. I hope it's not just a one-off for this little thing.

Yes, but I also want mah beautiful CG intro and cutscenes don't you?
  • Thumbs Up 1

yeah, standing by my original statement of "this art style is fucking gorgeous"

reminds me of Rayman Origin's hand-drawn style, imagine a game in that art style throughout? of course with SEGA's amazing CG introductions, events and Endings!

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah but I agree only if you mean that this style is great for art pieces for the game, not that the game itself should look like this. I don't mind JSR-looking games but I'd like Sonic games to look more realistic. More like Generations or Unleashed (God, I love Adabat!).

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, but I also want mah beautiful CG intro and cutscenes don't you?

Well, not particularly. I'm not too fussed about full CG. Sure it's pretty and all, but if it's not there I don't particularly feel we're missing much. And that can be cel-shaded too.

• Thumbs Up 4

Well, not particularly. I'm not too fussed about full CG. Sure it's pretty and all, but if it's not there I don't particularly feel we're missing much. And that can be cel-shaded too.

A matter of preferences then.. I absolutely LOVE CG cutscenes in Sonic games since Sonic adventure. If they removed them, I'd be very, incredibly sad and angry. Maybe in the last few years it has something to do with me GMV making but I still loved CG cutscenes before I even had the idea to do that.
  • Thumbs Up 2

There are other playable characters? Who?

Knuckles, Tails and Amy for sure and Cream, Rouge, Silver, Blaze and Shadow are also in the game. Maybe playable as well.

Those cutscenes and the art style in them.. wow, it's so amazing, they need to keep doing this.

As for the cel-shaded style, I think its nice but I can go without it in a main game. I'd rather have the smaller portable games have this cel shaded look and the big games look all detailed in shading and stylization like Unleashed. But I won't lie, this is all pretty impressive for a little iOS title.

Totes picking this up tomorrow.

• Thumbs Up 5

Well, totally stealing the arts for my avatar and sig. It's really, really gorgeous for something so simple. That's the main reasons I'd love to see it spill over to the main series. Beautiful though Unleashed and Generations are, they're hindered by the fact that the Hedgehog Engine and global illumination are so power-intensive and difficult to produce assets for. If they went for a markedly simpler art style they'd be able to do more. And this is indeed very striking. Games can look very nice, but an art style that stands out can make an impact.

EDIT: I should totally make a rotating sig with the characters and the backgrounds.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 2

This music is so incredible. I really really really really REALLY wasn't expecting myself to like it that much. Its like Saturn-era Sonic music all over again!

Why is a mobile game about jumping do so much awesome stuff man, like I don't even know.

• Thumbs Up 4

Meh, I don't think I care much for the cel shading. I think it works fine in these smaller portable games, but on the bigger games I'd prefer to have more detailed-looking graphics. I like how Generations and Unleashed looked.

Edited by Frogging101
  • Thumbs Up 1