Awoo.

The essentials of a good Sonic villain

KHCast

Good idea, I must say that I like Shadow much more in SA2. Shadow The Hedgehog was the last game he ever felt needed in. I know people complain about that game but without it, Shadow would still be in EVERY game trying to find out who he is.

They should have never given him Amnesia and sent him on that damn quest in the first place, up to that point we knew everything we needed to know about Shadow, his game just added unnecessary shit to it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hell, I didn't even have a problem with his English voice. It may be funny, but Black "Dr. Claw" Doom and Mephiles the "Not Crispin Freeman" Dark aren't any better.

I don't really take a lot of issue with Erazor's English voice but dayum his Japanese voice oozes with sinister-ness, very cold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VspfQcFpK3M&feature=plcp

I think that voice is by far the most genuinely evil-sounding voice I've ever heard from any Sonic character. Masashi Ebara totally NAILED Erazor. His voice really contributes to the character's maliciousness.

I'm glad the whole "Who Am I' thing with Shadow is over. I really want to see him as an anti-hero/villian again. It just suits his character better.

As for the whole villian topic, I don't want to see just another "world domination" thing. That is Eggman's purpose. I did like Erazor Djinn because he put a spin on world domination with his character and actions.

I also liked Black Doom because he wanted to wipe out humanity - and was really sadistic about it as well. Black Doom couldn't have cared less about ruling Earth. I'm gonna have a fanboy moment and state that Black Doom said he ruled the universe.

Anyway, I want to see more diverse villains in the future.

• Thumbs Up 1

And didn't have a redundant name that sounded less like a name and more like an vague object.

Edited by Dr. Crusher

Yes, yes yes! Sonic needs more villains! Robotnik's great and he can carry a lot of games and they should NEVER get rid of him. But, there needs to be more villains. It's a given these villains should be a threat in some way, but makes them interesting are their personalities and motivations. They can be fun, sneaky, manipulative, or downright bumbling. I don't really want them all to be 'rule the world' motivations, that's Robotnik's schtick. Heck, they can be pretty small motivations. Some could be personal. Whatever. They need to fit. That's the most important part. They need to feel like Sonic characters. Not Final Fantasy or JRPG characters, whatever. Make them fun and dynamic. And whatever powers or abilities or skills that make THEM look GOOD makes it all the better.

Shadow would be better as being Dr. Eggman's sidekick, or something along those lines. Being a villain fits Shadow much more than being a hero.

Because there TOTALLY ISN'T ALREADY a hedgehog that Eggman (should) use(s) as his primary enforcer.

Seriously? Make a (much better) character completely obsolete by completely changing another character to do something completely out of character?

Edited by Sexy n' Smooth Wario

Because there TOTALLY ISN'T ALREADY a hedgehog that Eggman (should) use(s) as his primary enforcer.

Seriously? Make a (much better) character completely obsolete by completely changing another character to do something completely out of character?

No. Shadow the Hedgehog was Eggman's sidekick in Sonic Adventure 2, and it worked out very well. It is not out of character. Shadow usually sides with whoever will get him what he wants. I'd like to see that return. It fits Shadow's character much more than playing the hero. Shadow is a much better character than Metal Sonic. I'd much prefer Shadow to take that role.

And what would become of Metal Sonic then? You basically want Shadow to become fang? But a downgraded version of him.

Edited by Riku
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's out of character with how he is now. The angst-driven MARRRIIIAAAAA! melodrama of his character that was used to justify siding with the bad guys in games stopped with the ending ShtH.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 2

Nothing in Shadow's character- from his personality to his actual moral outlook- permits him to permanently align himself with the main recurring villain of the series. SA2 is also a terrible example to support this notion considering the actual underlying dynamic of his relationship with Eggman, e.g. he was using him. Shadow becoming Eggman's lackey is a terrible idea, and not because he would be replacing an overrated Badnik.

• Thumbs Up 6

No. Shadow the Hedgehog was Eggman's sidekick in Sonic Adventure 2, and it worked out very well. It is not out of character. Shadow usually sides with whoever will get him what he wants. I'd like to see that return. It fits Shadow's character much more than playing the hero. Shadow is a much better character than Metal Sonic. I'd much prefer Shadow to take that role.

-twitch-

Not...going...to...lose...it...

...I HEARTILY disagree.

To make this post not spam, your opinion of Shadow or Metal Sonic does not entitle you to replace one with the other. There are PLENTY of people who like Metal Sonic, and manipulating a character to take another character's role is unfair to those who like Metal. I don't like Shadow in the least bit, but I would never, EVER, consider writing another character in a way to replace him, because I know that there are tons of people who like him and the franchise would've lost a big...thing...if he were to leave.

Edited by Sexy n' Smooth Wario

I'm guessing you're also one of those people who thinks Shadow should be the star of the franchise.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not seeing how that assumption would play into the idea of making Shadow a villainous underling, since they get so much screentime of course, but okay.

No. Shadow the Hedgehog was Eggman's sidekick in Sonic Adventure 2, and it worked out very well. It is not out of character.
It is given what's happened from the end of SA2 on.

Shadow usually sides with whoever will get him what he wants.
And what he wants is pretty much the polar opposite of what Eggman wants. So it doesn't make any sense.

And what would become of Metal Sonic then?

Didn't they already ditch Metal Sonic from the main titles? Sonic 4 being an exception, as it was supposed to rehash the past.

I'm guessing you're also one of those people who thinks Shadow should be the star of the franchise.

I'm guessing you're one of those people who can't think of anything else to say other than out of place insults.

It is given what's happened from the end of SA2 on. And what he wants is pretty much the polar opposite of what Eggman wants. So it doesn't make any sense.

In Shadow the Hedgehog Dr. Eggman would would make Shadow do certain things for him, in return of either a Chaos Emerald or bits of his past. At least something along those lines.

I'm not saying he has to be Dr. Eggman's sidekick. It was merely a quick thought. I simply believe Shadow is a much better villain than he is of a hero.

I will admit it can be easy to put Shadow into an antagonistic role, but the buck stops at mere rivalry. His personality and ethics don't align with any villainy.

In Shadow the Hedgehog Dr. Eggman would would make Shadow do certain things for him, in return of either a Chaos Emerald or bits of his past. At least something along those lines.

Why would Shadow want or need either of these things when he works at GUN now?

Why would Shadow want or need either of these things when he works at GUN now?

Not to mention the fact that he knows his past now. :V

Didn't they already ditch Metal Sonic from the main titles?

I take it someone didn't play Heroes, or even Generations.

One could say they ditched Shadow, Knuckles, Rogue, the Chaotix, and everyone else in Unleashed and Colors, but we knew better than that even before Generations came in. There's absolutely no reason to believe that they would make an exception and take out Metal Sonic.

I'm not saying he has to be Dr. Eggman's sidekick. It was merely a quick thought. I simply believe Shadow is a much better villain than he is of a hero.

First things first, let's get this straight: Shadow is an anti-hero. Meaning he may side with the bad guys or the good guys if it suits his given purpose.

Secondly, for someone who loves Shadow as much as the next fan, you forget that Shadow was only a villain in so much as he was out to get revenge for Maria. Turned out that Maria wanted peace and happiness, not revenge and destruction, and given that that was the only reason he was ever antagonistic in the first place it only goes to show that Shadow will do more heroism than he will villainy. While that doesn't mean he can't be antagonistic, that flat out eliminates him being a full blown villain.

Thirdly, you also forget that in SA2 it was completely the other way around in the sidekick relations, as Shadow was using Eggman more than Eggman was using Shadow.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 4

Didn't they already ditch Metal Sonic from the main titles? Sonic 4 being an exception, as it was supposed to rehash the past.
They didn't ditch him so much as they've barely ever used him in anything.

Right, because ShtH tried to set up a morality system by giving Shadow amnesia and making him desperate for anyone to give him answers. Short of doing that again, why would Shadow work with Eggman?

I simply believe Shadow is a much better villain than he is of a hero.
Why? What does Shadow have that makes him more suited to being a villain?

...he's...

...black...?

Hey, man, don't be so racist.

I'm sure if the Black Arms weren't all killed trying to bring about doom to the planet, they would be very offended by such accusations.