Awoo.

Continuity concerning Sonic games

Johnny2071

Sonic Chronicles is written by Bioware, not canon.

I personally believe only things written by Sonic Team of Japan is canon.

:V This seems...backwards.

It's like watching a show with multiple writers, and only considering episodes by certain writers canon.

• 1 year later...

I hate how people just take games out of the canon because they don't like them. I've no problem with a canon of just the core games but maybe there should be two, one canon with just the main series and another that contains everything but the games that are definitly not canon (mean bean/spinball/chronicles)

I personally believe that Chronicles was/is canon because it mentions who Knuckles' ancestors were at war with: the Nocturnus clan. Granted, that may be a weak line of reasoning, but that is what I believe.

Can't Chronicles' ending lead into Unleashed's opening if you don't overthink it?

I actually like that idea.

There could be three separate timelines for Sonic Games:

1) Main Console Games (excluding 3D Blast, Championship, Sonic R)

2) Handheld Titles

3) The Riders Trilogy (Which I think may be its own continuity)

The reason why I classify the handheld games as their own separate timeline is because it has never been clear to me where they fit in the timeline, and the same goes for the Riders Trilogy, even though the Riders games are console.

There is honestly nothing that suggests Chronicles happened before Unleashed nor does Unleashed, a console game, ever alludes to Chronicles, an RPG spin-off on a portable handheld, so I fail understand why people still make that a theory.

There is little to no credibility to that theory, Sonic Chronicles official non-canonicity aside.

The world isn't seemingly dominated by Eggman's empire in Unleashed as suggested in Chronicles. In fact, Eggman's trying to establish his empire throughout Unleashed. Why would he need to do this if he already has a presumed stranglehold over the planet which he established during their absence? Why would he need to awaken Dark Gaia? Also, there's no Shade. No Knuckles. No Shadow. No Rouge. Surely they'd play their part in liberating the world and assisting Sonic against Eggman's fleet if Unleashed was an 'extension' of Chronicles given how 'chummy' they are in that game?

I'd assume the only line of reasoning would be for people is that chronologically the games came out around the same time (Chronicles> then Unleashed a month later) and that because since a sequel to Chronicles is all in likelihood not going to happen anytime soon, they probably feel some satisfaction by having Unleashed continue where the cliffhanger left off. Though that still to me is faulty logic.

Never mind the fact that considering the legal hell Penders put Archie and Sega through with him claiming they ripped off his Dark Leigon concept with the Nocturne, I don't think Sega would ever want to back to Chronicles because of that.

There is honestly nothing that suggests Chronicles happened before Unleashed nor does Unleashed, a console game, ever alludes to Chronicles, an RPG spin-off on a portable handheld, so I fail understand why people still make that a theory.

Because people are allowed to interpret things however they want? Because continuity in the Sonic games is usually incredibly loose and in a constant state of flux? Because continuity in the Sonic games as a whole makes fuck-all sense, so fans can pick and choose and have whatever kind of timeline best suits their tastes?

Yeah, that sounds about right.

I'm honestly baffled that some Sonic fans take this stuff so seriously. I've always personally seen the story of Sonic games to be on the level of your average Saturday morning cartoon: the timeline doesn't really matter because each "episode" stands on it own, despite being set in the same world. It's obvious that Sonic Team don't really care for weaving an epic multi-part saga (especially after Sonic2006), and are more interested in making fun games with sillier, looser, individual "episodes." We can argue to hell back which was better, the storytelling from the Adventure days or the storytelling in more recent titles, but just keep in mind that the storytelling from the Adventure days helped make the franchise the laughing stock it is today.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not saying they can't, I'm just expecting it to make some lick of sense, which I hardly see when it comes to seeing people desperately try to make Chronicles canon.

EDIT: Also, in case some forgot, they were planning a sequel to Chronicles after it's release, with a mention how they were already forming a script. But that fell under when Bioware was bought out by EA. So the idea that Unleashed was or is meant to be a 'spiritual successor' to Chronicles is even more farfetched to me.

Doesn't Chronicles' opening scene explicitly state that it happens two years after the "'final' confrontation with Eggman'? In that case, if it even was canon, shouldn't it happen after most, if not all the other games in the series thus far?

I think the 'two years' thing was made up by Nintendo Power when they first covered the game and something not actually said or implied in-game.