Awoo.

Disney's first Latina princess

iDEATH

So apparently Disney are coming out with a new TV movie/series centred around Sofia, a young girl who's mother marries into the royal family from Cinderella.

Disney have confirmed that Sofia and her family are Hispanic but critics claim that she's not Hispanic enough.

tumblr_lwzyxxVGWj1qfc1qm.jpg

I would have to say I agree, Sofia looks little different from the generic Anglo-saxon princess we expect from disney.

Given Disney's track record with various ethnicities, Pocahontas, Mulan, Tiana it seems odd that they seem to have done this.

Here's the cnn video http://edition.cnn.com/2012/10/19/showbiz/disneys-first-latina-princess/index.html

Eh, not to thrilled about this. I've been waiting for a Latina Disney Princess for years, and when one finally shows up I find out that she's just a kid unlike the other Princesses who are young adults.

And she's actually debuting with a tv show instead of a movie? I'm sorry but I feel like Disney is really giving the Hispanics the short end of the stick here.

And she's actually debuting with a tv show instead of a movie? I'm sorry but I feel like Disney is really giving the Hispanics the short end of the stick here.

To be fair, they're making a tv movie first followed by a series, if it's successful they may make a cinematic release in the future. I imagine the tv movie will be available on dvd also

I'm surprised people aren't flipping their shit like I saw when Princess and the Frog's protagonist was announced.

Well at least that's a sign people are starting to trust Disney more about characters of different races.

Being mostly-Latina/Latino myself, I can safely say I trust Disney to portray things as best as Disney can.

So apparently Disney are coming out with a new TV movie/series centred around Sofia, a young girl who's mother marries into the royal family from Cinderella.

It's this I'm worried about. If that didn't sound like the setup to half of all Mary Sue fan-fictions I've ever heard of, then my name isn't a Pokemon.

• Thumbs Up 1

Now I feel like they're just throwing token princesses.

Besides we already have Dora the Explorer for this.

She looks white.

No punchline here. She must be of European Spanish origin. Pocahontas looks more American Hispanic than her...for good reason since Pan-American Hispanic are really a mix of of the Caucasian Europeans, Natives, and/or African Americans(Specifically Puerto Rican, Dominican Republic, and Cuba).

Well being hispanic myself I don't really mind her appearance. After all it's not like we are all brown or something. Don't really mind her appearance it's going to be for TV either.

• Thumbs Up 2

I really don't care what her race or ethnicity is; that thing looks hideous. Seriously, what kind of art style is that?

• Thumbs Up 6

Well being hispanic myself I don't really mind her appearance. After all it's not like we are all brown or something. Don't really mind her appearance it's going to be for TV either.

Yeah, same here. I'm hispanic as well, and yet you wouldn't know I am if you looked at me first glance. I'm not really complaining much honestly.

Though I am disappointed this isn't a movie... Oh well.

Not even the white people in Disney movies are safe nowadays from some Spanish person TAKIN DARE JERB.

POST OF FOREVER.

But seriously, I'm more worried about the way her personality and heritage are portrayed rather than her appearance.

Just for the record, my dad's a pure blooded Puerto Rican and you'd probably mistake him for being white, so I don't really have a problem with this.

And if Disney wants to make a TV Show/Movie combo like this, fine. It doesn't really bother me.

I really don't care what her race or ethnicity is; that thing looks hideous. Seriously, what kind of art style is that?

Dunno what you're talking about, she looks like a crackwhore another pretty Disney princess to me.

It's a cgi Disney Junior cartoon for those unfortunate members who are interested.

Sofia_Logo.jpg

Jesus christ, it's like Cinderella 4: Sofia The Lost Wild Thornberry

Oh hi Cinderella

tumblr_mc43rktHlA1rod01wo2_1280.png

So since people will stop giving a shit and this is gonna be forgotten about in a week, how bout that uh...um...

Hey at least we know another world candidate for Kingdom Hearts 3

Edited by Nintendoga
  • Thumbs Up 2

Wait...wha?

I've been hearing blurbs about this series for the past year and a half, and I think this is probably the first time I've heard Hispanic/Latina in the mix. I just thought it was more first kid princess/princess-in-training from the way they've been promoting it.

That said, she doesn't look the part, but then again, Hispanics come in all shapes, sizes, and shades due to the rich interracial mixture that's been going on for centuries.

Though that said, this makes me wonder if Disney merely thought this concept up to compete with Dora the Explorer. The latter must be making Nickelodeon millions from merchandising alone.

Secondly, I thought it was already trying to be contemporary/relevant with the fact that Sofia's mother re-married into a royal family, had step siblings, and was considered a princess, as well as the fact that the school that she goes to features children from different ethnic backgrounds.

It's basically token awareness with princess topped on it. It seems a bit much to me, and while I'm not bashing the concept of a Latina Disney Princess, I just find this...hodgepodge very odd. I get that they're trying to be relevant by having more empowered, capable heroines in their Princess line by revamping a tale that was from a specific cultural background (i.e. Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, etc.)

But I don't know if this is the way to go about it.

P.S. - I know the Princess and the Frog doesn't mesh with that last point. But you know what I mean, right?

Edited by KittyNakajima

This is a very sad and stupid attempt at using ethnicity to get people to care about what would otherwise be a stupid shitty fanfiction plot of a show.

Edited by Luigi the Brawler
  • Thumbs Up 1

I really feel like this whole debacle is a bit of a backhanded compliment to Latinos. Their heart seems to be in the right place, but they're not making use of a Latin American setting for one thing, and unnecessary exposition is now mandatory because of it as well as her appearance. No one would've known she was a Latina had they not been told, yet this isn't needed for literally any other Disney princess. I dunno; just feels botched all around.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really feel like this whole debacle is a bit of a backhanded compliment to Latinos. Their heart seems to be in the right place, but they're not making use of a Latin American setting for one thing, and unnecessary exposition is now mandatory because of it as well as her appearance. No one would've known she was a Latina had they not been told, yet this isn't needed for literally any other Disney princess. I dunno; just feels botched all around.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why do people care about this? This is absolutely dumbfounding. Who cares which races have been represented by DISNEY FUCKING PRINCESSES of all things?!

-scream of confusion-

• Thumbs Up 2

Dunno what you're talking about, she looks like a crackwhore another pretty Disney princess to me.

It's a cgi Disney Junior cartoon for those unfortunate members who are interested.

Sofia_Logo.jpg

Jesus christ, it's like Cinderella 4: Sofia The Lost Wild Thornberry

Oh hi Cinderella

So since people will stop giving a shit and this is gonna be forgotten about in a week, how bout that uh...um...

Hey at least we know another world candidate for Kingdom Hearts 3