Awoo.

Disney's first Latina princess

iDEATH

I saw an Arabian looking kid in the video, does this mean Aladdin and Jasmine will show up at some point in this show?

Eh, not to thrilled about this. I've been waiting for a Latina Disney Princess for years, and when one finally shows up I find out that she's just a kid unlike the other Princesses who are young adults.

Well we can knock Latina Princess and Kid Princess off Disney's 'Princesses to Do" list. All that's left is probably an Alien, Robot, or Ninja warrior princess.

All that's left is probably an Alien, Robot, or Ninja warrior princess.

...Am I the only one who would watch the crap outta all of those?

• Thumbs Up 1

Meh this series is just a waste of money. The only people who are going to watch it are little girls. And what are they going to learn from it? How to be a princess? Seriously this princess fetish that Disney has needs to stop.

Meh this series is just a waste of money. The only people who are going to watch it are little girls. And what are they going to learn from it? How to be a princess?

I wouldn't say it's a waste of money. Disney more times than none seems to know what they are doing with its ideas and projects they portray to the public, and often their finanical successes connected to them prove so. As for little girls being the only one that will watch the show, isn't that their intended target? Not sure why this is a problem...And I'm not sure what they are supposed to learn from the series, but time will tell of the lessons it provides, if any.

Seriously this princess fetish that Disney has needs to stop.

Seeing that the Disney Princess phenomenon has spread out to be worldwide and is bringing in billions of dollars in revenue from movies, toys, merchandise and the like, that "fetish" isn't going anywhere for a long time. It's like a gold mine for Disney. Not to mention millions of little girls love these princesses; therefore, the fanbase is enormous. Disney would be utter fools to shut down such a money-making avenue seeing how it's been a real financial success for them.

In regards to Sofia, I think the whole situation with her is interesting. I only hope that she is portrayed well and is well liked amongst the little girls like the other Disney Princesses have been.

Uh.

Guys.

You do know that this show you're complaining about is intended to be watched by four year old girls, right?

• Thumbs Up 7

Uh.

Guys.

You do know that this show you're complaining about is intended to be watched by four year old girls, right?

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is aimed at young girls, but that doesn't stop it from being enjoyable by all ages, now does it? Just saying.

My problem is that shows like this only reinforce traditional gender roles. :P And frankly, I think there should be more media for girls that isn't... well, 'girly'.

• Thumbs Up 1

My problem is that shows like this only reinforce traditional gender roles. tongue.png And frankly, I think there should be more media for girls that isn't... well, 'girly'.

Ah.

Uh.

Guys.

The whole 'girliness' factor is part of why I prefer MLP:FiM over all the Disney princess spinoff material. It's still got its stereotypically girly elements, but it's got broad enough appeal and solid writing that can appeal to more than its target audience.

Stuff like pretty princesses and tea parties, etc, promote a very narrow idea of what girls should be/like/etc. The original movies the princesses come from are enjoyable in their own rights, but the princess franchise as a marketing tool kinda irks me.

Edited by Mega
  • Thumbs Up 1

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is aimed at young girls, but that doesn't stop it from being enjoyable by all ages, now does it? Just saying.

Because Lauren Faust intended this to be that way. Look at the logo - it's airing on Disney Junior. For toddlers.

My problem is that shows like this only reinforce traditional gender roles. tongue.png And frankly, I think there should be more media for girls that isn't... well, 'girly'.

My niece loves both princesses and Pokemon. Shows that are aimed specifically at young girls aren't bad on the basis that they exist, just that people force them down kids' throats.

Yes, there are kids shows that appeal to all ages. This isn't one of them. Why are people throwing a fit when this was never supposed to be intended for them at all, again?

• Thumbs Up 2

My niece loves both princesses and Pokemon. Shows that are aimed specifically at young girls aren't bad on the basis that they exist, just that people force them down kids' throats.

True. I mean, on its own it's pretty harmless, but the fact that this idea of cutesy girlish stuff is so pushed in the media just irks me as someone who's always been more tomboyish. To that end, I'm pretty biased. 8|a

Uh.

Guys.

• Thumbs Up 5

I don't see what the big deal other than animation is dodgy but its a Disney Junior show nothing really offensive. Though other Disney shows tend to have gender neutral/mixed shows so I wonder if Disney has a Pre-School show aimed specifically at boys? (Probably Cars based).

Hopefully Disney will do a Hispanic Princess in the movies one day that will hopefully won't be stereotypical and they won't be pulling a Tanned Romney.wink.png

Also why people complaining she's not Latin American? As far as I am aware Latin American's has never had their own kingdoms she is probably modelled on Spanish and Portuguese royalty and that they are relate to Cinderella's Royal line (European Kingdoms were practically interbred anyway).

Edited by BW199148

I hate when this gets used as an excuse, just because something is made primarily for young children doesn't mean it's acceptable for it to be poorly thought out or of low quality.

What's so poorly thought out about it? My niece gets to see this ordinary girl become a princess, project herself onto the character, and see some of her favorite characters in a new TV show; all of this being done while the show broadens her view on different ethnic backgrounds and cultures.

Is it going to have brilliant writing and characterization to make it appeal to twenty year old men? Probably not - but remind me why that's such a bad thing. God forbid an educational show for little girls be nothing more than entertaining and educational for little girls.

I would say all the arguments that have been put forward by people in this thread are relevant regardless of this being a kids show.

Hm.

Now I feel like they're just throwing token princesses.

Besides we already have Dora the Explorer for this.

This is a very sad and stupid attempt at using ethnicity to get people to care about what would otherwise be a stupid shitty fanfiction plot of a show.

Meh this series is just a waste of money. The only people who are going to watch it are little girls. And what are they going to learn from it? How to be a princess? Seriously this princess fetish that Disney has needs to stop.

Edited by Dissident
  • Thumbs Up 1

I hate when this gets used as an excuse, just because something is made primarily for young children doesn't mean it's acceptable for it to be poorly thought out or of low quality.

It also doesn't mean that it has to be entertainment for all ages or it is unacceptable. If the self-projection wish fulfillment show deviates too far from being a means of self-projection wish fulfillment (which is the entire purpose of the Disney Princess line), then the people who it is designed for first and foremost will lose interest in it.

Yes, you can argue all day that there are greater societal implications because of the existence of such franchises, and I would probably agree with you; but some people actively seek out things like this to watch, and existing to fill those people's wants isn't automatically a problem in and of itself.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 7

I don't really care about this show. I don't care about what race Sofia is. What I care about is just how the hell is this girl a princess. Cinderella's family wasn't royalty, she just married a prince. So unless Cinderella becoming royalty somehow makes her family royalty, (which only makes sense if it was one of her descendants,) then just who the hell did Sofia's mother marry and how old is Cinderella now. Granted, she's clearly older than in her movies, but if she has kids getting married wouldn't she have to be in her mid 30s by now? I mean damn. Also, if they have Sofia's mother be the same age or younger than whoever she married (as is often the case,) she'd have to be even older, especially considering there's probably a 10 year gap between their marriage and the time the story is set in, depending on how long after their marriage Sofia was born, as well as Sofia's exact age (from my guess probably around 6 or 7.) Then again, if it's actually a niece of Cinderella's and he's considered royalty, then it's possible he's not much younger than her, then he could potentially be Sofia's father as well.

...is there more information on all this somewhere or am I just going to have to work with "Sofia's mother married into the royal family of Cinderella."

Really don't care if she was black, Asian, white, latina or green. It's like when people were saying 'the first black US president OMGAWD U GUISE!!1111". Just. Don't. Care. If you were truly free of racism or discrimination, you wouldn't feel the need to distinguish someone as their ethnicity, gender, sex or whatever. Just get on with it

*scurries in*

So... I do have a slight issue with a first Hispanic princess being white but not because I think all Hispanics are brown or anything, especially since I'm Hispanic and I'm sort of (very) white. :V

tl;dr- There's racism in Latin America too, with a preference for white people.

If you've ever watched telenovelas or programming from latin american countries you might notice a lot of the actors are white Hispanics. Even in Latin American countries there's a preference for white features and such. White actors or those who look very white are in leading roles, while those who are darker or look less white are assigned minor roles. Now speaking from what I know from my culture (Peruvian), those that are darker are also stereotyped to be uneducated, uncultured, or naive. Even in Latin American countries they treat certain people differently than others.

Would be nice for darker skinned Hispanics to get a darker skinned princess, so it wouldn't have to always be shoved in their faces that looking whiter equals looking prettier.

Even then though it feels like Disney just slapped on the Hispanic label and aren't really going to use it so whatever. :V

Also why people complaining she's not Latin American? As far as I am aware Latin American's has never had their own kingdoms she is probably modelled on Spanish and Portuguese royalty and that they are relate to Cinderella's Royal line (European Kingdoms were practically interbred anyway).

Latin America did have empires though, good sir *smokes pipe*. The Aztec and Inca empires to be exact, which had princes and princesses. Knowing this, I wish Disney would finally come to terms with the fact they already have their one true Hispanic Disney princess.

tumblr_m4aw13pH7e1qafrh6.jpg

@Walrus person

Having the first black president (whether you like him or not) was a mile stone for minorities. Did you notice before that that every single president was white? Any minority couldn't have dreamed of becoming president a few decades ago. It's a sign that times are changing little by little and for the better. That's why a lot of people were excited.

What I think you're describing (ignoring ethnicity, culture, gender) is color blindness, which is actually a form of racism. Although well intended, it's quite bad. This article explains it far better than I could.

http://www.psycholog...-is-form-racism

Edited by Mimi
  • Thumbs Up 7

I wish Disney would finally come to terms with the fact they already have their one true Hispanic Disney PRINCE.

Latin America did have empires though, good sir *smokes pipe*. The Aztec and Inca empires to be exact.

Sorry, yes your right I forgot about the Aztecs and Incas. Though I was referring to the fact it seems to set in a European setting so she technically couldn't be a Latin American Princess unless Disney is rewriting history and the Portuguese and Spanish Colonists didn't subjugate those Empires into their own.wink.png