Awoo.

The diversity of Sonic music

KHCast

Sonic music. It's great. everyone in the Sonic fanbase normally agrees with that statement. It's generally since the beginning been amazing, fresh, and even unexpected at times. Over time, the series has delved into different genres of music to create atmosphere for the games. One great example for me is Unleashed. That way they were able to blend culture in it's music and still have that Sonic feel even though it wasn't traditional amazed me! I mean this:

Just wow.

What type or style of music in the Sonic game do you find yourself to like the most? What music genre didn't quite do so well to you? Was their any trope you at first didn't like that you ended up loving? Got ay examples? For a certain style, I'd have to say Orchestrated for me. More specifically, anything that uses Violins. Crisis city(all versions),Kingdom valley,Rooftop run Modern just amaze me in so many ways. I love those.

As for a genre that I'd say is below average in this series, I'd say the hard rock that was in SHTH. It just didn't to me, work with the Sonic franchise. It was out of place.

And something wacky that I thought I wouldn't actually like, Hip-hop/rap. Unknown from me as cheesy as it is, somehow became a song I found myself humming to and even singing at times. The catchy tech sounding music from Colors also caught me off guard as well. It was so new sounding and happy!

Edited by Riku
  • Thumbs Up 2

My favorite type of music from the Sonic series is, and always will be ochestra (or any other sort of music mixed with it). Ranging from the heightened and epic atmosphere of the music for the Egg Dragoon boss fight in Unleashed, the serene and clam music in Jungle Joyride Night, the upbeat and fast feel of Rooftop Run Day, I adore any sort of ochestra music in the series.

• Thumbs Up 1

My favourite types of music that appear in Sonic games are symphonic rock and orchestral. Orchestral tracks make the situation seem larger, and make things like the final boss packed with emotion and charisma.

This is my personal favourite.

On the other hand, I looove symphonic rock music. It just seems so much more confrontational and booming.

best boss track all day everyday. dem synths

• Thumbs Up 3

Hmmm....it's hard for me to pick one style of music that I love best. My favorite soundtrack is SA1, and that's because it has so many different styles.

I really like songs that blend rock with other genres. Solaris Phase 2 would be orchestral rock, and Power Plant has guitars with techno instruments. I guess my favorite kind of song would be anything that has a good melody with some strong guitar.

My least favorites are the songs with rap/hip-hop. Though that's just a personal preference, as I can't stand that type of music. Then again, the Knuckles songs in SA2 are guilty pleasures.....

Oh, no, HERE's my least favorite.

Dear god, this song is way too happy-go-lucky. Previous vocal songs in the series have been cheesy, but not this cheesy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Personally, I really like how varied the music in the series has been. I get really sad when someone suggests that we go with one uniform genre because any others are 'not Sonic'.

• Thumbs Up 5

Hmmm....it's hard for me to pick one style of music that I love best. My favorite soundtrack is SA1, and that's because it has so many different styles.

I really like songs that blend rock with other genres. Solaris Phase 2 would be orchestral rock, and Power Plant has guitars with techno instruments. I guess my favorite kind of song would be anything that has a good melody with some strong guitar.

My least favorites are the songs with rap/hip-hop. Though that's just a personal preference, as I can't stand that type of music. Then again, the Knuckles songs in SA2 are guilty pleasures.....

Oh, no, HERE's my least favorite.

Dear god, this song is way too happy-go-lucky. Previous vocal songs in the series have been cheesy, but not this cheesy.

I kind of like Reach for the stars. I don't know why.

Although agree on the guitar thing. I mean Rooftop run unleashed guitar was so cool!

Also All hail shadow. I will never understand how I like it. I don't like that kind of Sonic music. But that one song is kind of... different.

Ehh, for me personally, I love the synth and techno. Wacky Workbench JP Bad future, Bingo Highway, Classic Speed highway, even Oil Desert andClassic Planet Wisp all show that Synth can create different moods to represent different situation (whether it's urgent like Power Plant, or depressing like Classic Planet Wisp)

(oh, and Yay for my 100th post tongue.png)

• Thumbs Up 2

I've said in the past that usually I like when characters kinda represent a genre of music and or the level themes reflect the genre of music of the attitude of the level. For example, I'm a really big fan of when music representing Sonic is a ska/punk/rock mix because I feel it suits his personality, thus it feels more "cool" and like him when you play a level along to it. As for the level tropes, they usually do a good job at it, like the beach level sounds pretty beach like and so forth.

All in all, I like when Sonic music is varied a lot throughout one game, ala Sonic Unleashed. Not really a huge fan of Sonic Rush's music since I feel it's kinda samey, but that's just me.

I like how in some games, they've got the main theme, the final boss theme, and the end game theme. Sonic and the Black Knight is a great example. Some great music in there, all of which fits with the theme.

The main theme, Knight of the Wind

And the End Game theme Live Life

Are some of my favorites from the franchise. I think the series should go back to the rock style for the main themes.

Also, considering the final boss, I think 2 phases could use rock for the 1st, and orchestral for the 2nd. Because you can't go without how greatly the orchestral theme fits with Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 2

I love every single Sonic OST out there. There is not one I don't like. Sega has a bunch of talented composers and Sonic never fails with music in my eyes. Every song delivers the emotion or setting for the stages or events needed. If I were to pick a favorite type. I suppose the Genesis tracks would do. Though my favorite Sonic song is Windy Valley.

I LOVE how the genesis used FM Synthesis. I was a Genesis kid growing up and never really liked SNES. I kinda hated it's midi samples. In fact the whole FM soundchip (YM2612) is what really set the genesis apart. I am a big fan of FM Synthesis so the genesis was just freaking incredible to me. This song in particular is one of my favorite Sonic Genny tracks.

Edited by Urban Flow

I love all the sonic music in general but the two styles i find myself liking the most is:

The techno/rock/slap bass of Heroes:

And last but not least the style from Sonic the fighters:

Edited by LordMetallix

I love the diversity of Sonic music. If its well composed and detailed, chances are, I'm going to love it.

When a track has audible depth (like Aquatic Base, or Crisis City modern and so on), I immediately fall in love with it. Not that I don't like some of the simpler songs, they too have their unique charms.

I particularly love it when certain pieces of music, embody an emotion that represents the stage, like Aquatic Base (you can tell I love that track) portrays a sense of cold isolation and loneliness, which suits the stage perfecty. This kind of music, that creates a mood for a given stage, creates and added depth to the narrative significance of a stage (If it is meant to have one), at least to me. Using the Aquatic Base example yet again; the stage is meant to be an old, deserted laboratory that used to be teaming with people working on the Solaris project, but is now forgotten, cold, isolated, deserted and lonely. The music does a fantastic job of describing that emotion and it gives a depth to the stage that the game's horrid storytelling simply could not reinforce.

• Thumbs Up 4

I love Sonic music (minus Shadow the Hedgehog 2005) and the absolutely horrible song that plays during the credit roll for Sonic Colors (it makes Justin Bieber sound like Paul McCartney).

My favorite OSTs are CD (both), 3&K, SA1, Generations, Gems Collections', and I love that song that plays during Marina Madness Zone in Knuckles Chaotix.

Like I said, the ONLY Sonic game I've experienced that has bad music in general is Shadow.

Sonic music...it's so diverse what can i say, i too love it all, the 8 bit, 16 bit, 32 bit, there is almost nothing i can think of hated, heck i even like the sdth songs too. A guilty pleasure is liking nearly all of sonic 4:ep. 1's songs. I absolutely love sky fortress and metal sonic's theme's (at least the orchestral remix by sonic hyuga).

Sonic Adventure 1 has an absolutely AMAZING soundtrack, both in terms of quality and diversity. I wouldnt hesitate calling it one of the most underrated soundtracks in video game history. Because as you might remember, some video game journalists actually complained about the music in the game, but in my mind it belongs right up there with the classic Mega Man games and the Donkey Kong Country series as one of the masterpieces of the industry.

• Thumbs Up 1