Awoo.

Do you think people are too hard on Sonic 4 Episode 2?

AsYouTrulyImaginedIt

WARNING RANT TIME!

No, it is truly a bad game.

No, it really is a mediocre game. It's certainly better than Episode I, but let's not kid ourselves, that doesn't say much in its favor.

If anything they aren't hard enough.

Sonic 4 doesn't have merits.

Worst DLC ever.

No. It was a shit game when it was released, and it's still a shit game now.

I DON'T THINK PEOPLE ARE HARD ENOUGH ON SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 4: EPISODE II TO BE HONEST!

laugh.png

The Sonic 4 forum is about the only place where continously dropping derogatory one-sentence posts isn't considered spam, and you guys don't think they're being hard enough on this game?

What did this game DO to you people? Your only consistent complaint is that the game doesn't play like the old Sonic 1-3 and therefore it's wrong to call it Sonic 4. That's an entirely fair complaint, which I agree with, but how did you all go from that point to decrying it a lump of manure and a crime against humanity? Is it corrupting your hard drives with its foul presence? Does it seize control of your motor functions every other week forcing you to play it against your will? Are you just so starved for a legimately bad Sonic experience to complain about that you'll lash onto every opportunity?

This is not Sonic 06, which was a very expensive game that almost destroyed the reputation of the franchise as a whole and was frankly a mess from start to finish. Sonic 4 doesn't have the same physics as Sonic 1-3, but the physics they have still work reliably. That you so stubbornly refuse to accept that Sonic should move in any way dissimilar to his old self that you simply won't adjust is your own fault.

Yes, I found the controls weird at first. Then I adjusted and played the game fine. Yes, the minecart jump killed me. Then I adjusted and never died there again. You know what other Sonic game tends to kill me until I adjust to the controls? Sonic Adventure. Sonic Adventure 2. Sonic Heroes. Shadow the Hedgehog. Sonic Unleashed. Sonic Co- No, actually, that one and Generations were easy to play from the start.

Yeah, it's annoying that Sonic's jump stops dead when you don't hold right. It's also annoying when Sonic air dashes instead of homing attacking an enemy because I failed to heed the target physics in Sonic Adventure 2. Does that mean I hate Sonic Adventure 2? No, it means I adjust and play it. So why, oh why, can't you do that with Sonic 4?

Edited by Grumpy Old Guy
  • Thumbs Up 6

The rolling IS slightly better and we no longer have the retarded insta-stop in mid-air, but otherwise it's essentially the same. There are also very few spots where rolling works well enough to get much speed, and even then the 69 attack gets you there faster and with no physics anyway.

If that's all they managed to improve over the course of two years, then they sure did a hell of a job making it noticeable. It seems like to me their biggest problem with Episode I was the graphics.

More to the point, they're physically incapable of appreciating it for what it is
What is there to appreciate? It isn't a game that shits in your mouth like '06, ShtH, or S4E1, but that doesn't mean it's any good, either. At no point does it rise above mediocre, and given that and its length it's horrendously overpriced.
  • Thumbs Up 1

What is there to appreciate?

Well, this will be completely subjective, but everything you've typed so far has been completely subjective, so it fits the bill.

The game is fun. This may shock and appal you, even force you to conceede that there's something wrong with me, but I had fun playing it. I enjoyed it. I liked the level variety. I liked the nostalgic throw-backs. I had fun playing the bosses, and liked the new approaches to old designs.

Look, I'm not saying everyone will like this game, but you really are saying nobody should like it, which is bullshit. It doesn't deserve the title Sonic 4, but it's still a decent Sonic platformer. It's not amazing, but it was worth my money. I'd place it about the same level of enjoyement as Sonic Advance. Neither can match Sonic 3&K, but for what it is, it's got enough going for it.

• Thumbs Up 1

What did this game DO to you people? Your only consistent complaint is that the game doesn't play like the old Sonic 1-3 and therefore it's wrong to call it Sonic 4.

This is not Sonic 06, which was a very expensive game that almost destroyed the reputation of the franchise as a whole and was frankly a mess from start to finish. Sonic 4 doesn't have the same physics as Sonic 1-3, but the physics they have still work reliably.

Yes, I found the controls weird at first. Then I adjusted and played the game fine. Yes, the minecart jump killed me. Then I adjusted and never died there again.

Cut down for obvious reasons.

The complaints about Sonic 4 are as follows:

• It's not what anyone wanted or expected from Sonic 4.
  • It consistently managed to disappoint, even after it was supposed to be improved.
  • Criticisms weren't even adhered to, and for no reason. Ken's excuse about Super Sonic is a real testament to how half-arsed everything was.
  • Both episodes were very short and very expensive.
  • S4_Bubbles_Sprite.png
  • On it's own merits, the game would not had been anywhere near as popular as it was. It's just the name.
  • It cheaply imitated the Classics at times, and then disregarded everything about them at other times. It's hugely inconsistent.
  • Terrible story.
  • Rubbish level design.
  • Awful music.
  • It's not even fun.
  • Episode Metal Falling Platforms
  • EDIT: Forgot to mention rehashing.

Sonic '06 was an insult to Sonic fans everywhere with it's utter disregard for them and the fact that it played like a game in the early beta stages. Sonic 4 is hardly different. It again ignores what the fans actually care about and just focuses on drawing people in with nostalgia, with the homing attack thrown in to appease the other side of the fanbase too.

The control issue isn't one that really needs explaining. They're not anything like the originals like you would expect, and regardless of that they're completely unintuitive. The minecart is a brilliant example of that and the physics. You'll just drop dead for pressing nothing where really you shouldn't be pressing anything.

Episode 2 is rapped on because it's so similar to Episode 1. It was a soulless, lifeless project that relied on empty promises to sell. It deserves the hate for being the second time SEGA pulled this shit.

Look, I'm not saying everyone will like this game, but you really are saying nobody should like it, which is bullshit. It doesn't deserve the title Sonic 4, but it's still a decent Sonic platformer. It's not amazing, but it was worth my money. I'd place it about the same level of enjoyement as Sonic Advance. Neither can match Sonic 3&K, but for what it is, it's got enough going for it.

It's got hardly anything going for it. And actually, I do this the fans are right not to like it both as a game and as anything else. All things considered, it is rather insulting.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 4

• It's not even fun.

I'm not even gonna try when you've got that as a bullet point, plus half the rest are 100% subjective. Our user experiences were so different I doubt we'd find a middle point. I don't know what I can tell you? I enjoyed both episodes. I ignored all the hype beforehand, so I didn't really have any high expectations for it to cast down. The first time I downloaded Sonic 4 episode 1 I played it from start to finish in one sitting and had a blast. I can't tell you what it is about my experience that makes it so alien to yours. It's not like I didn't recognise the frustrating moments, but nothing that ruined the game for me.

YES! THIS GAME SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN CALLED SONIC 4. That was wrong. I am completely onboard with that argument. It was a marketing ploy; a cheap trick, a foul besmirchment of a title that was meant for better things, but...so what? Am I going to let the name ruin the game I was presented?

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not even gonna try when you've got that as a bullet point, plus half the rest are 100% subjective. Our user experiences were so different I doubt we'd find a middle point. I don't know what I can tell you? I enjoyed both episodes. I ignored all the hype beforehand, so I didn't really have any high expectations for it to cast down. The first time I downloaded Sonic 4 episode 1 I played it from start to finish in one sitting and had a blast. I can't tell you what it is about my experience that makes it so alien to yours. It's not like I didn't recognise the frustrating moments, but nothing that ruined the game for me.

Subjective? Of course they are. They're the complaints people make, which go beyond your comment that being different from the classics is the only thing people have against them.

YES! THIS GAME SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN CALLED SONIC 4. That was wrong. I am completely onboard with that argument. It was a marketing ploy; a cheap trick, a foul besmirchment of a title that was meant for better things, but...so what? Am I going to let the name ruin the game I was presented?

The name plays a part, yes.

go beyond your comment that being different from the classics is the only thing people have against them.

I said it was the only consistent complaint they have about it. I think you'll find that most of the complaints in this thread are a subset of that one major complaint.

For example, that the music sucks is just ridiculous to use as a bullet point to prove how deserving of hate this game is. The music wasn't especially memorable, but meh. I can't remember any of the music from the Sonic Advance series, but that doesn't automatically mean it sucked.

...except Chaos Angel from Sonic Advance 3. I love that one.

I can't tell you what it is about my experience that makes it so alien to yours.
Low standards? Desperation for any kind of platformer/Sonic game? Nostalgia?

The name thing is a dodge, anyway. I'll tell you this: I did not even want Sonic 4. I didn't hype it up just because of the name. I'm not bashing the game because it doesn't live up to my perfect Sonic 4, because I couldn't give less of a shit about a "Sonic 4". Call it Sonic 4, call it Sonic DL, call it Sonic's Generic Adventure, it is a crappy game regardless. In the best case it is an incredibly bland game, with gameplay that doesn't know what kind of game it's supposed to be.

• Thumbs Up 1

I said it was the only consistent complaint they have about it. I think you'll find that most of the complaints in this thread are a subset of that one major complaint.

For example, that the music sucks is just ridiculous to use as a bullet point to prove how deserving of hate this game is. The music wasn't especially memorable, but meh. I can't remember any of the music from the Sonic Advance series, but that doesn't automatically mean it sucked.

The music is one of the many, many things going against the game. As one collective package, all the complaints amount to Sonic 4 being a bad (set of) games and a bad sequel to the Classics. Episode 2 just cements everything. That is why it's deserving of people being so hard on it.

So Old Guy, are we just going to go around in circles? I understand you like Sonic 4 and don't think all the hate is warranted, but I couldn't feel more differently towards it. And I just can't be bothered to argue about it any more.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

What did this game DO to you people?

It gave me a bad case of the mehs.

Your only consistent complaint is that the game doesn't play like the old Sonic 1-3 and therefore it's wrong to call it Sonic 4. That's an entirely fair complaint, which I agree with, but how did you all go from that point to decrying it a lump of manure and a crime against humanity? Is it corrupting your hard drives with its foul presence? Does it seize control of your motor functions every other week forcing you to play it against your will? Are you just so starved for a legimately bad Sonic experience to complain about that you'll lash onto every opportunity?

... Or it could just be that I don't particularly like it.

Seriously, I don't know who you're describing with this, but I'm certain it don't apply to me. Heck, before Episode 1 was released, I was one of its avid defenders. Ask Masaru about it sometime and he'll give you the score.

This is not Sonic 06, which was a very expensive game that almost destroyed the reputation of the franchise as a whole and was frankly a mess from start to finish.[

Saying it's better than Sonic '06 isn't exactly a mark in its favor, considering that game's overall lack of quality.

Sonic 4 doesn't have the same physics as Sonic 1-3, but the physics they have still work reliably. That you so stubbornly refuse to accept that Sonic should move in any way dissimilar to his old self that you simply won't adjust is your own fault.

I wouldn't have a problem with the physics if they actually worked competently. As it is... meh.

Yes, I found the controls weird at first. Then I adjusted and played the game fine. Yes, the minecart jump killed me. Then I adjusted and never died there again. You know what other Sonic game tends to kill me until I adjust to the controls? Sonic Adventure. Sonic Adventure 2. Sonic Heroes. Shadow the Hedgehog. Sonic Unleashed. Sonic Co- No, actually, that one and Generations were easy to play from the start.

Well, mon, if you haven't noticed, those games aren't exactly liked a whole lot outside of the fanbase (and, in the case of Shadow the Hedgehog, in it).

Yeah, it's annoying that Sonic's jump stops dead when you don't hold right. It's also annoying when Sonic air dashes instead of homing attacking an enemy because I failed to heed the target physics in Sonic Adventure 2. Does that mean I hate Sonic Adventure 2? No, it means I adjust and play it. So why, oh why, can't you do that with Sonic 4?

Who said I actually let Sonic Adventure 2's control screwups slide? If I haven't already made it clear by now, I'm not exactly a fan of that game, either.

Look, mang, if you like Sonic 4, it's cool. Really, it is. Even I managed to have some fun with both episodes at times. But, to assume that those who don't like it are doing it purely/primarily for the sake of hating it and "bro/cool points?" Well, that's not a very nice thing to say...

• Thumbs Up 3

Oh, wow, I managed to miss this part.

Yes, let's. And let's ignore and adjust to the slippery controls, shitty combat, and terrible story and tone of ShtH, and the shitty everything of '06. Because it's always the player's fault for not contorting themself around the shitty design and programming of the game.

Aw, lets stop all this fussin' and feudin'. Some like the game, some hate it. I say let those who like it, like it, and those who hate it, hate it.

Doubtful that anybody will have their hearts changed from this discussion.

I liked Episode 2, but stopped getting into pro/con discussions ages ago because I found that anything I said could easily be shot down, and vice versa.

Personally I think the entire Sonic 4 forum should be archived, until an episode 3 is/isn't announced. It's not like this is a new or upcoming game, and should an episode 3 actually happen, it'll be a while.

• Thumbs Up 1

Aw, lets stop all this fussin' and feudin'. Some like the game, some hate it. I say let those who like it, like it, and those who hate it, hate it.

Doubtful that anybody will have their hearts changed from this discussion.

Wise words.

I still can't understand what it is about this game that has so many people so upset, but then again I can't really explain why I myself found it entirely inoffensive and a fun playthrough.

Just get so tired of people just posting a swearword and calling it a post, then getting lots of likes, because that's the will of the masses. I'm fine with cussing, it's just so fucking lazy. "If I just call the game shit I won't have to type what actually bothers me about the game ha-hah!"

At least this opportunity gave me a better understanding of a perspective I can't seem to share. Kinda glad I don't, because man it would've been annoying to spend all that money on Sonic 4 and not get any enjoyement out of it :P

• Thumbs Up 1

Wise words.

I still can't understand what it is about this game that has so many people so upset, but then again I can't really explain why I myself found it entirely inoffensive and a fun playthrough.

Just get so tired of people just posting a swearword and calling it a post, then getting lots of likes, because that's the will of the masses. I'm fine with cussing, it's just so fucking lazy. "If I just call the game shit I won't have to type what actually bothers me about the game ha-hah!"

At least this opportunity gave me a better understanding of a perspective I can't seem to share. Kinda glad I don't, because man it would've been annoying to spend all that money on Sonic 4 and not get any enjoyement out of it tongue.png

It might just be one of those things you never understand. Like I said, I enjoyed episode 2 and I can see why people might hate it. I just don't hate it myself. I'm not looking to get my mind changed, nor am I really looking to change other people's minds on the game, so I just largely ignore forums when it comes to those kinds of debates.

I do, however, completely agree on how annoying it is to see people get by on the forums by posting lazy smarmy replies to topics that often have effort put into them, then they get a load of likes. But that's how the internet works. Snark is king. It's just a downside to the "likes" system since you get to see them being rewarded.

Best to ignore it, let the mods deal with it if need be, and enjoy what you enjoy. Just don't dare TELL people on the internet that you enjoy something! ;)

• Thumbs Up 3

Sonic 4 Episode 2 isn't perfect, but it's a right sight better than the first episode, and I still go back to it just to have some fun. It isn't a true "classic" game, but it's a pretty good Sonic game to me. It's fast, fun and enjoyable.

But those bottomless pits.

Screw them.

To oblivion.

• 2 weeks later...

it is a vast improvement over episode 1, but there were still some momentum problems when rolling down a hill and you had to hold down right on the directional pad to keep that speed going, and while Sonic doesn't come to a complete standstill, there are problems still. I would say that it is fun to play and the levels are better than episode 1 as was the stage music and Metal Sonic boss music, as were the graphics, but other than that its still mediocre, in terms of a classic Sonic game. Generations classic Sonic was better than he was in this game. I do find that a lot of people are not satisfied no matter what SEGA do for Sonic, but they definitely did better on this than the first one.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got Episode 2 and I can say it's significantly better than Episode 1 in many things, but still doesn't feel like a proper Sonic game to me. It just feels so sluggish and clumsy. As well the game's music and level design didn't really appeal to me.

No, there was too much wrong with that game to be marketed to classic fans. Praising it or being less critical of it is a bad thing because critisizing it(assuming sega actually listens) will help get a better product. Same goes for any game.

Yes and no. Let's start off with no.

No: The game lacked when it came to proper level design. It just felt like speed boosters and bouncers everywhere. I never felt like I was gaining speed by myself. I just always run into speed boosters/bouncers and just air dash. This is big issue. I shouldn't have to feel like I need speed boosters or bouncers. Also, the level's aesthetic design is just rehashed level designs or combined level designs. It called Sonic the Hedgehog 4 not Sonic 2 Dimps Edition.

Yes: Even with all those flaws the game is still enjoyable. It has great multiplayer and is a step in the right direction in terms of physics and how Sonic is controlled.

The game is enjoyable if you look at it as a platforming game. Basically, if you are casually playing.

Sadly, any gamer that bought this game expecting a spiritual successor from Sonic 3K is going to be disappointed. Which is like...alot of people.

I think it's okay, much better than Episode I, but nothing fantastic. I liked most of the level design and it looked nice for a DL game, but it was still incredibly short. Not an awful game though, an easy 6/10.