Awoo.

Do you think people are too hard on Sonic 4 Episode 2?

AsYouTrulyImaginedIt

The game is enjoyable. Certainly improved alot from Episode 1, but it still has a long way to go - Multiple elements from the last game of the classic series still needs to come back, such as Elemental Shields (Generations did that, albeit in a different fashion to S3&K), level transitions, etc etc - It has been said so many times now. That said, I would think that Episode 3 is essential at this point, & they might announce that in 2013 (come to think of it, the last main Sonic game released - if not counting S4E2 - was Generations in 2011, so far I haven't heard of a new cannon game yet..).

• 4 weeks later...

As a game it's fine and is underrated but as sonic 4 it is terrible I don't see it as much but to people who grew up with the first gems then to them the only classical thing they saw were rehashed level designs (heck I agree with that look at oil desert and oil ocean same annoying sinking parts but as for ep 1 run forward in both its and the first ever sonic game without attacking the first Enemy in any way and tell me that isn't the same cheap death) also they had super sonic which is actually to easy to get in both episodes so I see where you are coming from but look to where the game was supposed to be for and think about it from their view

Sonic Iphone Adventure 2 was like the predecessor one of the best plattformers on the iOS. 

I, uh... don't quite get this. SE42 = Sonic iPhone Adventure 2 = predecessor to what?

I dislike both episodes of Sonic 4. In my opinion, Sega should get back to making real games instead of these rubbish mock-ups.

You know, that's one thing I truly don't get. Why in the world did they not try to use the engines from either the genesis or gba Sonic games for this? I mean, I can understand trying to do something new at times, but this was (supposedly) going to be number 4 in the old series. If they wanted the nostalgia factor, they could have at least tried using one of those.

Keep in mind I know nothing about programming games and may possible be talking out of my ass.

• 5 months later...

I agree, people are way too buthurt over this. It's a decent game alone, and I found it fun. People probably hate it because it doesn't stand up to the originals in length and doesn't add much to the formula 20 years later. Take away the direct faux link to the originals (4) and people would warn up to it a little. The co op actions really didn't bother me, as much as people have complained. So all in all, not bad, especially as an IOS purchase for me. Episode I on the other hand...

I agree, people are way too buthurt over this. It's a decent game alone, and I found it fun. People probably hate it because it doesn't stand up to the originals in length and doesn't add much to the formula 20 years later. Take away the direct faux link to the originals (4) and people would warn up to it a little. The co op actions really didn't bother me, as much as people have complained. So all in all, not bad, especially as an IOS purchase for me. Episode I on the other hand...

That's its problem though. The game simply does NOT stand up as a sequel to 3&K. If they named it "Sonic Rush in 3D with no boost and Sonic 2 level rehashes", that'd be alright and I'd have no problem. But the fact that it tried to raise hype by naming itself Sonic 4 is horrendous. The co-op gimmick is something that really shouldn't be forced down either. Did you have to have Tails carry you in Sonic 3? No. You didn't. Did you have to use the instashield in Sonic 3? No. You didn't.

Speed boosters, automation and other elements of "herpdederp Dimps" are also problems at hand. Yes, the classics had automation. But the only automation that comes even close to today's automation is the Flying Battery chase in Angel Island act 2. The rest last for like 2 seconds, if not less. Speed boosters were also in the classics, but they weren't in every single level. You didn't HAVE to even touch them. In Sonic 4, you're forced into speed boosters. To give an infamous example...

ZhdpglL.gif

Yeah.

• Thumbs Up 1

I agree, people are way too buthurt over this.

Wanting a product to match it's name and the PR it's sold with isn't being "buthurt."

It's a good game... But that's it, it's just good. As a direct sequel to the classics (which are considered the great) that had THE sonic formula good just wont cut it. If it was left as anything else BUT Sonic 4 people would have been more lenient I feel, but due to the link to the genesis trilogy it immediately has a pedigree and an expectation, one that it fails to deliver.