Awoo.

Who has been Sonic's best rival so far?

super saiyan weegee

Did anyone else feel it was a matter of time before Dio got onto the Metal Sonic parts?

Let's ignore the stupid complaints for a second, and look at things objectively; Jet, and the rest of the Babylon Rogues are hardly the worst new characters, and have served their purpose as rivals to Team Sonic pretty well, especially compared to the inconsistent characterization of the rest of the cast particularly the more popular ones like Shadow & Silver.

But it doesn't help that their appearances have been in racing spin-offs. Now if they had appearances and roles in the Main games, we'd definitely be going somewhere. And to add more, that Babylon Garden could have a great addition to the mythical forces in the verse through the main series.

But that's just the daydream speaking...

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Are you personally blaming Shadow for ShtH's shitty writing?

Certainly not. I am blaming ShTH's writing for it's unbelievable depiction of Sonic-Shadow rivalry.

What?

When Classic Sonic attacked Metal in that boss fights' intro, he damaged it. So whenever Metal uses it's moves in the fight, the damage it incurred is exacerbated by the abilities it used rather than it's abilities overheating it and leaving it vulnerable. If that was the case, we would've seen that flaw in Sonic CD.

Edited by Vertekins

Er...what the hell? This wasn't my post I was editing!

But it doesn't help that their appearances have been in racing spin-offs. Now if they had appearances and roles in the Main games, we'd definitely be going somewhere. And to add more, that Babylon Garden could have a great addition to the mythical forces in the verse through the main series.

But that's just the daydream speaking...

I don't think being in spinoffs kind of diminishes their credibility much.

When Classic Sonic attacked Metal in that boss fights' intro, he damaged it. So whenever Metal uses it's moves in the fight, the damage it incurred is exacerbated by the abilities it used rather than it's abilities overheating it and leaving it vulnerable. If that was the case, we would've seen that flaw in Sonic CD.

Being so fragile that one hit exposes massive weaknesses isn't exactly an improvement. And no, if it is a matter of overheating we probably wouldn't see it in CD, since hitting Metal isn't a component of the "fight".

Wait a minute, how, exactly, is Metal Sonic a rival? In pretty much every game he appeared in, he tried to more-or-less murder the Blue Blur.

I don't think being in spinoffs kind of diminishes their credibility much.

No, but rather their attention and even their potential at what they could do outside of genre-related spin-offs. And the fact that they're not often brought up is a testament to that like many other spin-offs related characters.

Wait a minute, how, exactly, is Metal Sonic a rival? In pretty much every game he appeared in, he tried to more-or-less murder the Blue Blur.

I didn't see him do that in CD...

Wait a minute, how, exactly, is Metal Sonic a rival? In pretty much every game he appeared in, he tried to more-or-less murder the Blue Blur.

That's not necessarily mutually exclusive with being a rival.

Personally I don't consider him much of a rival because he isn't much of a character.

None of this challenges his point at all. 

...the guy's point was that Shadow is the best because among other reasons he was the first to do something that he wasn't the first to do. I said he wasn't the first to do it. Eh?

EDIT: Well that makes sense, I guess you're right.

But in regards to the topic, I'd say Blaze is was Sonic's most competent rival. Since she's the only one he never beat the shit out of in the end. But they're bros now and stuffs.

Edited by Optimus Prime

...the guy's point was that Shadow is the best because among other reasons he was the first to do something that he wasn't the first to do. I said he wasn't the first to do it. Eh?

I think it was the part you used Shadow's power against him as something that wasn't his own "merit" that he was responding to.

He was talking about how you said Shadow doesn't count because you claimed Chaos Control wasn't by his own merit....which is kind of is.

Dobe said Shadow was the first one to humiliate Sonic, which is pretty much true (unless you think the S3&K suckerpunch is really that big a deal, and even if you do that doesn't account for Gamma). And the fact that he used an emerald really has no bearing on it.

He did say something about being in a skirmish. But I digress.

Jet and Shadow (at least the SA2 Shadow anyway) are pretty good rivals of Sonic, but I'd have to say Metal Sonic based on his OVA incarnation alone.

I'd say the best rival to Sonic so far has been Jet or Shadow. Shadow even though hes progressed more from a anti hero to almost a full fledged hero in the game continuity essentially he is still Sonics Rival.

Edited by Lange

EDIT: Well that makes sense, I guess you're right. I hate it when I stop making sense because I'm blinded by hating Shadow. I fucking hate Shadow. tongue.png I think he's an awful character therefore the prospect of him being the best of anything reduces me to a bit of an idiot.

Okay, dude, could you please never do that again? Seriously.

We don't mind if you dislike or downright hate a character, but anti-fanboyism towards a character is just as annoying as the fanboyism. Diogenes himself doesn't like Shadow either, but the fact that he called you out shows how annoying it is towards both Shadow fans like me and those who don't like Shadow like Dio here on these message boards.

An old saying on these boards goes that if you're gonna hate on something, do it accurately. Don't sink to bashing just because you don't like it.

• Thumbs Up 1

We're talking about rivalry. Sonic has always had a relatively friendly rivalry with Knuckles and Jet is still a rival regardless of the fact that it involves Extreme Gear. Rivalry is rivalry.

Shadow was still a jerk to sonic and constantly made Sonic get the impression he was weaker and less of a competant fighter compared to him, at the end Shadow finally acknowledges Sonic as worthy and starts treating his rival as his equal. Shadow and Sonic more or less respect each others abilites but see each other with hostility due to thier natures as beings.

I don't see how that changed anything, Sonic still beats him. Shadow up until Sonic Generations has tied with Sonic. So far, Shadow proves his superior by beating enemies that are out of Metal Sonic's league and power scales up to a super form when he has his inhibitor realease.

My vote goes to Shadow. Metal Sonic is powerful, but he's never been able to really match Sonic.

In Sonic Adventure 2, Shadow fought Sonic to a stalemate in the jungle. To this day, I still say that Shadow is harder to beat than Sonic in the final Hero/Dark rival battle.

Metal Sonic has inferiority issues, I've said this before. He's obsessed with Sonic because he's never beaten Sonic. Shadow, at the very least, thinks he can beat Sonic, and is not completely obsessed with beating Sonic because of it. Shadow doesn't have an inferiority complex to anyone.

Sonic and Shadow battles are more heated because they truly think they are better than each other, and fight to the very end because of it. Metal Sonic battles are cool but...they just aren't as heated because there are inferiority feelings coming from Metal Sonic.

Knuckles gets an honorable mention from the Genesis days.

Edited by UltDevilDoom

In Sonic Adventure 2, Shadow fought Sonic to a stalemate in the jungle. To this day, I still say that Shadow is harder to beat than Sonic in the final Hero/Dark rival battle.

Heh, I always found Sonic more of a problem than Shadow in that final boss fight. His Sonic Wind is perceptibly more accurate and has a wider hitbox than Chaos Spear.

Whilst they obviously tied in White Jungle/Green Forest, Sonic clearly canonically won in their final fight.

Blaze never gets any love. Shadow gets his ass handed to him every time, but Blaze fought Sonic to a draw. Gotta give it to her.

Blaze never gets any love. Shadow gets his ass handed to him every time, but Blaze fought Sonic to a draw. Gotta give it to her.

But she isn't a rival, she just had problems.

Why is everyone resorting to putting down Shadow in an attempt to make another rival seem "better"? I mean damn, I know he's not exactly the best character around but give him some credit.

Look at it this way, in SA2 he's probably done more than any other rival has with the possible exception of Jet.

Edited by Ragna the Bloodedge
  • Thumbs Up 1

Shadow gets his ass handed to him every time,

Really? You mean like in SA2 when he fought Sonic to a draw in their first fight, or their ambiguous showdown that doesn't reveal who won? Or in Heroes where the latter happens again? Or his own game when Sonic was an obstacle than a boss? Or Sonic 06 where he never even fought Sonic?

Wait...that doesn't sound like him getting his ass handed to him every time. You sure you aren't thinking of Metal Sonic?

• Thumbs Up 2

Shadow's probably has one of the better track records against Sonic (Short of maybe Blaze, who has a limited history). Bet lets not get carried away with that list. Shad's has gotten his fair share of beat downs too.

He would have had to lost to Sonic at the end of SA2 for the story to make any sense whatsoever. In Sonic Battle, he spent quite a bit of time dragging his tail and notched at least 4 losses against Sonic (since that game made you double-down on every conflict). Then there is that boost fueled carnage we got from Generations.

Lets also not forget the un-canon Chronicles, where Shadow gets regulated by Sonic's squad, and then again mono-a-mono vs the Blue Blur.

So yeah, Shadow has a few high points on his belt. But almost everyone has a consistent streak of getting absolutely trashed by Sonic.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

But almost everyone has a consistent streak of getting absolutely trashed by Sonic.

That will happen when they're bosses in games where you're not allowed to continue until you win. To their credit, they did legitimately defeat Sonic in all those alternate universes where you played poorly.

...and then there were all those adventures that ended with Sonic falling into a bottomless pit, or being smooshed by a moving block, or walking into a Crabmeat with no rings, or so on... Where Sonic's humiliating death let Sonic's rival triumph unchallenged.