Awoo.

Disney Infinity.

Klinsy

It's stuff you unlock from playing the playset, so buildings, terrain etc. Everything you'd need to build with

I imagine the Hovercar is part of it too due to being unlockable in the Avengers playset.

That's what I hoped(I barely played any 2.0 before returning it today, it was a drag), I mean with the 3.0 combat and racing systems this could result in some pretty sick stuff, I mean podracing through New York, on the top of skyscrapers, against a shield hovercar and a jedi star fighter is what dreams are made of XD

Sigh, wish there was a way to communicate things to the top. I mean at this point, why wouldn't they incorporate a system similar to the PC version into the console version for 1.0 characters to be playable and unlockable in-game? I mean, they are no longer available in stores, and no longer making Disney nor retailers money, and simply becoming harder to find and in several cases more expensive. Not only would it be a way for them to get some money directly, but also be a great peace offering to the fans. a bit complaint about the series is that everythings behind paywalls, yet the paywall has become obselete for these older(and generally weaker) characters who can only be used in the playbox. The ability to use these 30 or so characters for free in the toybox would actually be an incentive, and really nice for the older and younger players. Well that's just some thoughts.

Say, just found a baymax for super cheap($5), is he worth getting?

Sigh, wish there was a way to communicate things to the top. I mean at this point, why wouldn't they incorporate a system similar to the PC version into the console version for 1.0 characters to be playable and unlockable in-game? I mean, they are no longer available in stores, and no longer making Disney nor retailers money, and simply becoming harder to find and in several cases more expensive. Not only would it be a way for them to get some money directly, but also be a great peace offering to the fans. a bit complaint about the series is that everythings behind paywalls, yet the paywall has become obselete for these older(and generally weaker) characters who can only be used in the playbox. The ability to use these 30 or so characters for free in the toybox would actually be an incentive, and really nice for the older and younger players. Well that's just some thoughts.

Say, just found a baymax for super cheap($5), is he worth getting?

Baymax is alright. His special move kinda sucks, but he has some good combat and he has an upgrade that is REALLY good for assisting Sidekicks.

I'd say he's worth the 5 bucks.

Baymax is alright. His special move kinda sucks, but he has some good combat and he has an upgrade that is REALLY good for assisting Sidekicks.

I'd say he's worth the 5 bucks.

Hmm, eh I'm going to wait, it's almost the new month there's newer(and older characters) I'd prefer, and overall I'm probably going to wait for the black friday sales... and I'd kinda prefer to put the money towards Sam and Quorra... possibly the twilight of the republic power discs, I want Grievious's cycle

Decided to put this in here for anyone interested/convenience

So good news for anyone considering getting 3.0 for Wii-u, while I still can't find any actual reviews for that version the game came out yesterday in UK so @Failinhearts helped me find out the scoop from the DI forums, and its good: Wii-u 3.0 is up to par and appears to have been done in-house, here's the actual quote for those interested
http://www.disneyinfinityfans.com/viewtopic.php?p=160634&sid=c927d9a8142abb899806779b6ba08bc7#p160634

Re: Disney Infinity 3.0 Announced and press release details

Postby megadrive2 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:03 pm
Been playing through the Wii u version for the last few hours. They have fixed basically everything that was wrong with the 2.0 port, the frame rate, the character spawn times, the slow menus. The lighting & texture models are a lot sharper, so it seems to be running at least at 720p rather than the 600 of 2.0. The 2player mode also runs smoothly with no noticeable drop in framerate.
They have removed the ability to select items in the toybox via the gamepad when building on the tv, but this has made building in the toybox much faster as you no longer have to switch between the two. Toybox load times are also vastly improved on 2.0. Off-tv play is still supported and when using the tv the gamepad displays characters power disc and collectibles data. Apparently this port was done in-house by Avalanche & it really shows, they have done an excellent job with 3.0

Also sounds like you may be able to unlock the lightsaber item in-game on this one(which would make sense)

• Thumbs Up 1

From what I heard, the Lightsaber is unlocked by finishing one Star Wars Playset.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know, I remember some of you guys asking why some of the other Big Hero 6 characters didn't get figures for Disney Infinity, and that got me wondering who could be cool for 3.0. Then it hit me. Stan Lee from Big Hero 6!

• Thumbs Up 1

You know, I remember some of you guys asking why some of the other Big Hero 6 characters didn't get figures for Disney Infinity, and that got me wondering who could be cool for 3.0. Then it hit me. Stan Lee from Big Hero 6!

Oh yeah, his super hero form would be sick and the ultimate cameo, though then you'd need Fred as well

Turns out I had the wrong base, not that it wasn't working. I had a 360 one, I didn't realize it wasn't 100% universal.

Ok, so got three pickups today, the Target deal was really good but they were out of Flynns so I had to wait for the moment. However managed to grab Sabine and Quorra on the 2 for $20 deal, then went over to gamestop on a whim and decided to grab Zeb.

Ok, since there's at least 3 of us into this to discuss this, I've decided to bring the topic: Unannounced 3.0 characters. So some of you are more knowledgeable from the past/more tapped into rumors than I, but there is an easy way to start this: The character display case with the character slots

sdcc2015-550x550-01.png

So with the breakdown that gives us:

9 unnannounced Star Wars characters(at the time of this display)

16 Disney originals

4 Marvel

Now 2 Star Wars characters have been revealed(TFA playsets characters being the main 2 protagonists), 3 Disney(Little Dino character and 2 Zootopia), and 1 Marvel is teased(Ant-Man) So that leaves us with 7, 13, and 3 respectively.

Now I''m going start by asking you more experienced than I, when do characters get announced? are we in for any more before the new year(presumably Disney since Ultron and HulkBuster aren't due out until November)

So at least with Marvel, it's likely that 2 will be with the playset, then the other 2 released with it, so that's likely next year. Now with DI trying to market heavily to females as well as males, and there currently only being 2 female Marvel characters, it's likely we'll be getting 2 females, Scarlet Witch is likely due to movies(and has been rumoredI hear alongside Quicksilver), and I would say Wasp is a possibility due to sharing Ant-man's shrinking gimick, future movie possibility, and cartoon popularity.

Now the only other rumor I know of is Kim Possible which we discussed(do you guys have any idea of when that could be announced?)

So yeah, lets go ahead and discuss @Steven Tyler, and @Failinhearts(especially since you tend to be able to figure out this sort stuff), and anyone else interested of course

Hmm, I remember something about Infinity's Twitter saying that more Marvel characters will be announced later in the Fall but don't quote me on that. 

Anyway, we spotted an updated display with more character slots at D23. It's also worth noting that Pixar has it's own slots.

zS2koyB.jpg

Somebody also said that this arch showed 6 Marvel slots instead of 4.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmm, I remember something about Infinity's Twitter saying that more Marvel characters will be announced later in the Fall but don't quote me on that. 

Anyway, we spotted an updated display with more character slots at D23. It's also worth noting that Pixar has it's own slots.

zS2koyB.jpg

Hmm, interesting, six slots eh? well, lets say hypothetically that Avengers take first priority, that gives us: Ant-man, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver and Vision. Generally most series get a villian, so the obvious pick is Thanos, and then we're up between Wasp or Black Panther, and I give the former a good chance due to them wanting more female picks and former reasoning. Admittedly Quicksilver does have the bonus of being a larger clone of Dash.

Got any more thoughts or theory?

zS2koyB.jpg

Hmm, interesting, six slots eh? well, lets say hypothetically that Avengers take first priority, that gives us: Ant-man, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver and Vision. Generally most series get a villian, so the obvious pick is Thanos, and then we're up between Wasp or Black Panther, and I give the former a good chance due to them wanting more female picks and former reasoning. Admittedly Quicksilver does have the bonus of being a larger clone of Dash.

I'm interested in the Pixar slots.

The amount of characters seem double of that of the last two games. I believe 3.0's gonna last two years instead of one.

That being said, these leftover slots regarding Pixar interest me. Maybe we'll get characters from upcoming movies? (I'm certain nobody from Finding Dory will get a figure. Water mechanics have not been implemented.)

Wall-E's also been a fan favorite, so maybe he could be added in. Eve has potential too.

Speaking of Wall-E, in Disney Infinity 3.0, the Axiom Hoverchair is a drivable vehicle and the attention to detail is amazing! A holo-screen shows up, your character becomes chubby while driving, and you even shoot those "Food In A Cups" from the movie! It's really cool!

• Thumbs Up 2

I'll be surprised if Wall-E doesn't eventually make it.

Interesting how there's separate slots between Disney and Pixar. Yeah, maybe 3.0 will last two years instead of one. That'd be a nice way to expand things out more.

Ok, since there's at least 3 of us into this to discuss this, I've decided to bring the topic: Unannounced 3.0 characters. So some of you are more knowledgeable from the past/more tapped into rumors than I, but there is an easy way to start this: The character display case with the character slots

sdcc2015-550x550-01.png

So with the breakdown that gives us:

9 unnannounced Star Wars characters(at the time of this display)

16 Disney originals

4 Marvel

Now 2 Star Wars characters have been revealed(TFA playsets characters being the main 2 protagonists), 3 Disney(Little Dino character and 2 Zootopia), and 1 Marvel is teased(Ant-Man) So that leaves us with 7, 13, and 3 respectively.

Now I''m going start by asking you more experienced than I, when do characters get announced? are we in for any more before the new year(presumably Disney since Ultron and HulkBuster aren't due out until November)

So at least with Marvel, it's likely that 2 will be with the playset, then the other 2 released with it, so that's likely next year. Now with DI trying to market heavily to females as well as males, and there currently only being 2 female Marvel characters, it's likely we'll be getting 2 females, Scarlet Witch is likely due to movies(and has been rumoredI hear alongside Quicksilver), and I would say Wasp is a possibility due to sharing Ant-man's shrinking gimick, future movie possibility, and cartoon popularity.

Now the only other rumor I know of is Kim Possible which we discussed(do you guys have any idea of when that could be announced?)

So yeah, lets go ahead and discuss @Steven Tyler, and @Failinhearts(especially since you tend to be able to figure out this sort stuff), and anyone else interested of course

Kim Possible isn't merely a rumor. They basically confirmed her on Instagram without specifically saying it. Check 1-2 pages back; on Instagram one of the devs posted a tweet of a call from Christy Carlson Romano, saying something like "this is the best type of call." Then it said #KimPossible #DisneyInfinity in hashtags.

Peter Pan was also confirmed to be coming next year at D23, he just wasn't shown off fully yet.

I don't think they'd go with Thanos yet. I'd bet Wasp and Black Panther, personally.

On the Star Wars side, I think at least General Grievous will be playable. I'd also say Darth Maul but was he already confirmed? I thought he was. (Yeah, he was.)

EDIT:

Alright, @KHCast, you might be right after all. Kim Possible might be coming to Disney Infinity after all. Thanks @Steven Tyler for bringing this to my attention. John Vignocci, the VP of Production (and the most enthausiastic guy in the Toys-To-Life industry since Activision's Lou Studdert) released this picture on Instagram.

This is where Kim Possible was essentially all but confirmed.

Edited by JaidynReiman
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'll be surprised if Wall-E doesn't eventually make it.

Interesting how there's separate slots between Disney and Pixar. Yeah, maybe 3.0 will last two years instead of one. That'd be a nice way to expand things out more.

Kim Possible isn't merely a rumor. They basically confirmed her on Instagram without specifically saying it. Check 1-2 pages back; on Instagram one of the devs posted a tweet of a call from Christy Carlson Romano, saying something like "this is the best type of call." Then it said #KimPossible #DisneyInfinity in hashtags.

Peter Pan was also confirmed to be coming next year at D23, he just wasn't shown off fully yet.

I don't think they'd go with Thanos yet. I'd bet Wasp and Black Panther, personally.

On the Star Wars side, I think at least General Grievous will be playable. I'd also say Darth Maul but was he already confirmed? I thought he was. (Yeah, he was.)

EDIT:

This is where Kim Possible was essentially all but confirmed.

Can I get a BOOYAH? (BOOYAH!)

Also, I got the Starter Set, Yoda, Toy Box Takeover, and Obi Wan Kenobi. I have the Power Disc Pack on the way from eBay, as of Today, and I actually had the right intentions of introducing my niece to the game, and I was right to do so, by having her play as Ahsoka Tano, while I control Anakin Skywalker. She got filled wtih more adrenaline than when she played Splatoon. My next figures will be Mickey and Minnie, whom I might as well get at Target.

Great to see some activity in here! 

For 3.0 I went with the Software Disc + Inside Out bundle and the pre-order means the Toy Box Takeover is in there as well.

I haven't seen many people talk about the Inside Out set yet so I'll give some thoughts on that. No spoilers here really but just in case!

I'm really enjoying the playset so far. A platformer set in Imagination Land was a brilliant idea for an Inside Out adventure and from what I played it's certainly paid off! The designers have used the setting as a great excuse to get wacky with the level designs and there's always something fun to see and do.

The Emotions are still on their game here and are a delight to spend time with. I was initially disappointed when I heard Joy's voice actor from the film couldn't come in to voice her for the game. When I first booted the game up I thought there was something really off about her sound-alike but once the story gets going she is actually a very close match to the original voice which is always nice! Infinity as a whole seems to do a great job with getting the voices right actually. 

I play as Joy unless I specifically need to switch but I'd actually say it's worth revisiting the levels with other characters just to hear how they react to the various situations. For example Joy, upon respawning from a death, might celebrate the second chance meanwhile Anger moans over having to start over.

The game is fairly easy going but does provide some challenge  even for seasoned gamers. If you're trying to get all the collectables in every level then you've definitely got a nice challenge waiting for you. 

This being an Infinity game, you're going to need all five characters to reach some of the collectables but some creative thinking does allow you to get to more of them than you think.

There's even a puzzle minigame which you use to unlock more stages and it's the exact same setup as Columns. Really, who doesn't love Columns!?

Definitely my favourite Infinity experience so far and I can't wait to use the Emotions more!

@Failinhearts, @JaidynReiman, Honestly I think Thanos is a possibility, every Marvel pack has a villian, but 2 is not unheard of, and they want something other than Ultron. Also I know Kim is locked in more or less, but there is always the chance of delay to the next version(like the Tron characters)

So anyone have a guess when we might hear some new announcements? does JV tease at them happening or anything?

Also I'm currently annoyed my copy of DI3.0 is from amazon and still hasn't been shipped, which is doubly annoying since from what I heard, Yay!, just got shipped and it's due in tomorrow, and I just did the promo credit for my copy of toybox takeover, which thanks to my prime should arrive around thursday(since I'm working this week I don't mind waiting until the weekend.

Also, one other thing I've been thinking about, is with Kim, I really hope we get lucky enough that she winds up rating a second character, I mean there are very few villians in DI, and she has a good rogue gallery. For that matter the series does have 4 main characters from the beginning that appear in over half the episodes: Kim(of Course), Ron Stoppable(who admittedly has a decent chance, despite being a hero, he's popular, would bring Rufus, and his voice actor is currently in Disney employ and could be tapped at any time, since Will Friedle is the current voice actor of Star Lord in animation as well), Shego, and Dr Draken the later two are on equal standing, and both would be awesome additions. Overall most characters have a 50%/50% chance if they are prominent enough in the series and have lasting appeal, while none were on the poll, anyone who watched a decent amount of the show remember these 3.

So wait and see I guess

I believe Disney would hold off Thanos in order to coincide with Avengers: Infinity War Part 1. It comes out in 2018. I dunno if the Infinity franchise will last that long, but who knows?

@Failinhearts, @JaidynReiman, Honestly I think Thanos is a possibility, every Marvel pack has a villian, but 2 is not unheard of, and they want something other than Ultron. Also I know Kim is locked in more or less, but there is always the chance of delay to the next version(like the Tron characters)

So anyone have a guess when we might hear some new announcements? does JV tease at them happening or anything?

Also I'm currently annoyed my copy of DI3.0 is from amazon and still hasn't been shipped, which is doubly annoying since from what I heard, Yay!, just got shipped and it's due in tomorrow, and I just did the promo credit for my copy of toybox takeover, which thanks to my prime should arrive around thursday(since I'm working this week I don't mind waiting until the weekend.

Also, one other thing I've been thinking about, is with Kim, I really hope we get lucky enough that she winds up rating a second character, I mean there are very few villians in DI, and she has a good rogue gallery. For that matter the series does have 4 main characters from the beginning that appear in over half the episodes: Kim(of Course), Ron Stoppable(who admittedly has a decent chance, despite being a hero, he's popular, would bring Rufus, and his voice actor is currently in Disney employ and could be tapped at any time, since Will Friedle is the current voice actor of Star Lord in animation as well), Shego, and Dr Draken the later two are on equal standing, and both would be awesome additions. Overall most characters have a 50%/50% chance if they are prominent enough in the series and have lasting appeal, while none were on the poll, anyone who watched a decent amount of the show remember these 3.

So wait and see I guess

I just think its too soon for Thanos. If we get someone else, maybe we'd get the new villain from Civil War instead (Red Hulk?)

As for Kim Possible, I doubt we'll get a second yet, and if we get any more than Kim the only character I can see being added is Shego. She's Kim's rival and the primary enemy that Kim fights directly. She is Drakken's dragon, after all, and is the primary physical fighter on Drakken's side. I don't see Ron, Rufus, or Drakken being playable ever, but Shego would fit perfectly and has an easy moveset to create.

In fact, I'll go so far as to say that I think Shego WILL be playable eventually. Even if she's not playable in 3.0 (which I highly doubt), I do think Shego will come eventually.

I believe Disney would hold off Thanos in order to coincide with Avengers: Infinity War Part 1. It comes out in 2018. I dunno if the Infinity franchise will last that long, but who knows?

It all depends. I'm sure they'll eventually add Thanos before they end it. Hopefully they start giving each game 2-year lifespans, though, and gradually release figures and playsets over the course of two years.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just think its too soon for Thanos. If we get someone else, maybe we'd get the new villain from Civil War instead (Red Hulk?)

As for Kim Possible, I doubt we'll get a second yet, and if we get any more than Kim the only character I can see being added is Shego. She's Kim's rival and the primary enemy that Kim fights directly. She is Drakken's dragon, after all, and is the primary physical fighter on Drakken's side. I don't see Ron, Rufus, or Drakken being playable ever, but Shego would fit perfectly and has an easy moveset to create.

In fact, I'll go so far as to say that I think Shego WILL be playable eventually. Even if she's not playable in 3.0 (which I highly doubt), I do think Shego will come eventually.

It all depends. I'm sure they'll eventually add Thanos before they end it. Hopefully they start giving each game 2-year lifespans, though, and gradually release figures and playsets over the course of two years.

I think they are going for a larger lifespan for 3.0 as this version does in fact have 6 Playsets, and if they are all around the current length with 3 by the end of this year, and if the other 3 come out next year, then the next 3 next year which could result in a spring/summer 2017 release for 4.0(especially if the next announced one, Marvel battlegrounds doesn't come out until between March-May). Now, I was poking around, and I can't remember where I saw it, but JV gave a quote regarding the figure display, and said that Disney asked him for a number and that was off the top of his head, but there is in fact more. Which means we could be in for over 16 Disney characters. Personally I think that Kim will get 2 characters and get it this iteration, I mean what better way to market it than to release it together? Kim's got a decent fanbase, but releasing two characters that are related in tandem is much more effective, than seperately unless they are insanely popular. And if Tron can get both Sam and Quorra together with it's semi-niche fanbase than Kim with the larger disney afternoon fanbase(and a small Disney Replay one) have a great chance too. Ya Shegos most likely, but I wouldn't rule out Ron either, he would be perfect for an idiot savant moveset causing damage by accident, and incorporating Rufus as well.

I say Thanos is 50/50 He's just as likely as he isn't, but the only other movie villians who are combat likely, and have fan pull left to pull would be Iron Monger(who would be a Hulkbuster clone essentially), Nebula(who with the female attach/appeal rate I wouldn't rule out due to being the only movie female villian... sadly), and well Whiplash(but his movie version is laaaaaammmmmeeeee). Now, if we were to get a comic/cartoon villian the 2 possibilities would probably be either Whirlwind(Ant-Man's classic Nemesis, who would be awesome in DI since he's a tornado with wrist buzzsaws that he can throw along with mini-tornados, and of course a sweet outfit I mean who wouldn't want this guy:

http://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/mg/4/50/4e027677c896d.jpg

or one of the Squadron supreme perhaps due to the AA cartoon(either Hyperion or Nighthawk, the former essentially resulting with us having an evil Superman, which would be cool). Ok one more Marvel tangent on the note of cross promotion, would be 2 TV/Comic characters, that being Coulson(fan fav duh), and Quake(which considering in the MCU she's the only other hero with a Hulk-class power level, well, yeah; Though I'd kinda hope for comic outfit). Oh, and Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver are high odds.

Still curious as to when we'll get more character announcements, anything new on instagram from the big JV?

Hoping to pick up Sam Flynn this week.

Also here's the announced Light F/X characters, and sadly no Ezra, upside is it means I can pick him up sooner leaving me to wait on Kanan and Darth Vader

light-fx.jpg

Edited by Mando
multiple post for some reason

Ok, so giving some further thought on the Kim Possible tangent, doesn't every character added to the game tend to get at least a handful of Toybox pieces? If so I'd say there's only really 4 that KP would need building-wise, on the other hand all four of these would be rather mandatory, that being Middletown High, The Possible House, Draken's lair(even if we only get Shego, though hey it's the perfect general villain lair which oddly enough we don't have any of yet), and Bueno Nacho of course. The Former 3(or at least the first and third) would require interiors though, and I don't know what the general rule on that is(still haven't had a chance to play the game yet).

Also only character I'm really trying to get right now this week is Sam Flynn so I can finish off my pairings, though if I can get Walmart to price match Target's 2 for $20 deal(which I've heard has been done), I'd definately pick up another figure, but depends on my local Walmart's small selection. Just know I don't want any of the current jedi figures due to them all getting the F/X variants(other than Ezra, but he's a TRU exclusive). Also RATE playset and disk set is high up on my toget list(since it takes a year for playsets to go on sale, and the disk set has the Slave 1 and the Y-wing :( )

Ok, so giving some further thought on the Kim Possible tangent, doesn't every character added to the game tend to get at least a handful of Toybox pieces? If so I'd say there's only really 4 that KP would need building-wise, on the other hand all four of these would be rather mandatory, that being Middletown High, The Possible House, Draken's lair(even if we only get Shego, though hey it's the perfect general villain lair which oddly enough we don't have any of yet), and Bueno Nacho of course. The Former 3(or at least the first and third) would require interiors though, and I don't know what the general rule on that is(still haven't had a chance to play the game yet).

Also only character I'm really trying to get right now this week is Sam Flynn so I can finish off my pairings, though if I can get Walmart to price match Target's 2 for $20 deal(which I've heard has been done), I'd definately pick up another figure, but depends on my local Walmart's small selection. Just know I don't want any of the current jedi figures due to them all getting the F/X variants(other than Ezra, but he's a TRU exclusive). Also RATE playset and disk set is high up on my toget list(since it takes a year for playsets to go on sale, and the disk set has the Slave 1 and the Y-wing :( )

Yeah that sounds cool. It'd be neat getting Middletown High, Kim's house, Drakken's Lair, and Bueno Nacho from Kim Possible.

That said I don't think interiors are all that detailed. There is a castle that's available from the start in Disney Infinity 1.0, and its kinda empty. Then again, maybe they could add a bit more detail to them and make these news one a bit larger. If they added more. I'm not sure if they would actually do that, and its possible they may wait until later.

Its notable that Agrabah parts are in Disney Infinity 1.0, even though Aladdin and Jasmine weren't added until 2.0.

Also, of the three characters I have for 1.0 (my wife has four), Jessie seems kinda useless (Woody is basically identical to her). What's up with that? Why don't they have full combos?

Violet's combo is frickin' awesome. Barbossa isn't too bad, though (and Jack Sparrow is pretty much identical). I also tried Perry (who my wife decided to keep) and he's got a decent combo and his secondary ability is the best I've seen so far, but otherwise the character's are kinda simple overall and don't seem to get upgraded abilities later on.

I just want to bring up that the number of Playsets don't result in a game getting a longer lifespan. 2.0 had 3 playsets but 1.0 had 6. (Incredibles, Pirates, Monsters University, Toy Story, Cars and Lone Ranger.) The character number from the display was the reasoning for me.

We got no hints from JV in terms of what we're getting at the moment.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just want to bring up that the number of Playsets don't result in a game getting a longer lifespan. 2.0 had 3 playsets but 1.0 had 6. (Incredibles, Pirates, Monsters University, Toy Story, Cars and Lone Ranger.) The character number from the display was the reasoning for me.

We got no hints from JV in terms of what we're getting at the moment.

This is correct. That said, do we really know the roster has doubled? There doesn't appear to be all that many new Marvel characters, though there is a decent number of Disney/Pixar characters. At the same time, there's less Star Wars characters (at least so far) than there were Marvel characters.

29 characters were released in 1.0 and 30 characters in 2.0.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/disney-infinity/3.0_Edition_-_Star_Wars

Counting up the characters on here, and adding the three characters announced at D23--Ultron, and Hulkbuster, there's 27 characters. With Ant-Man, Kim Possible, and Peter Pan practically confirmed (Peter Pan HAS been confirmed), that's 30. Then there's three more Marvel characters and about 11 more Disney/Pixar characters (maybe more), and a few more Star Wars characters (I thought?) That could be around 50 total characters this time.

Not quite double, but there may be other unannounced slots (the Marvel slots did seem to increase between the previously known four slots and the later six slots we saw).

Hmm... interesting.