Awoo.

What do you want to see in the next Sonic game?

hangarninetysix

I want freedom. Real freedom, not just a handful of discrete choices flanked by walls or pits. I want space to run that is not just straight down the explicit hotwheels track laid out for me. I want speeds that ebb and flow instead of only jerking between full speed and near zero.

• Thumbs Up 4

Also, a romantic duet between Knuckles and Rouge that's reprised as a slow ballad over the credits of the true ending.

Edited by miru

Also, a romantic duet between Knuckles and Rouge that's reprised as a slow ballad over the credits of the true ending.
Just when I thought your ideas couldn't get any worse.
  • Thumbs Up 2

Just when I thought your ideas couldn't get any worse.

Can't be as bad as me imagining Silver singing "Go the Distance" from Hercules...

*Looks at miru's post.

Oh...nevermind.

Are you doing this on purpose?

I think a total of five playable characters is a perfect amount. It wouldn't be over-doing what Sonic Team is capable of.

Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, and Amy would be my choices. They are the most important characters next to Sonic and Eggman.

Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, and Amy would be my choices. They are the most important characters next to Sonic and Eggman.
Is Shadow really necessary? I feel that if they put him in he would play too much like Sonic.

Why Shadow over someone who isn't a clone?

I think a total of five playable characters is a perfect amount. It wouldn't be over-doing what Sonic Team is capable of.
I dunno, they haven't managed all that well with just one or two...

Anyway, I think the number of characters comes down to how different they are. The more differences, the more time that needs to go into refining each character, building things around their specific quirks, etc. You doing SADX Metal Sonic-ish skins? Throw in 10, throw in 20. You going genre roulette style? Have fun trying to make 2 or 3 entirely different games with the resources for one. 5 or 6 is, I think, a pretty good upper limit for the kind of differentiation I'd like out of the series.

Is Shadow really necessary? I feel that if they put him in he would play too much like Sonic.
Given the series' history, he probably would, but there's no reason he couldn't be as distinct as any character should.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well, how exactly could he adhere to the Modern style without coming of as a mere reskin?

Well, how exactly could he adhere to the Modern style without coming of as a mere reskin?
Let me turn that around: how could anyone adhere to the modern style without looking like a reskin? You build on gameplay that restrictive, with that kind of razor-sharp focus, it's going to feel samey regardless of who you're applying it to.

If they break away from that, though, Shadow's got rocket shoes and chaos powers to build on. He could hover, he could double jump, he could slow or stop time, he could teleport, he could shoot energy spears...

Let me turn that around: how could anyone adhere to the modern style without looking like a reskin? You build on gameplay that restrictive, with that kind of razor-sharp focus, it's going to feel samey regardless of who you're applying it to.

If they break away from that, though, Shadow's got rocket shoes and chaos powers to build on. He could hover, he could double jump, he could slow or stop time, he could teleport, he could shoot energy spears...

http://arcanekids.com/?

If you don't want to bother checking out the link, it's a free game called Zenith. It emphasizes speedy platforming, wall-jumping, and uses a time reverse mechanic so you can correct your mistakes, or just reverse time for fun. It's a little on the clunky side, but you can pick up some pretty beastly speeds if you play your cards right.

Edited by Malpercio

Yes. Shadow is one of the most important characters in the series. He has such as big history and importance. There's a lot of room for good character development with Shadow. There are ways you can separate Shadow from Sonic gameplay-wise: e.g. change certain parts of the level to make use of Shadow's abilities. I don't think they should separate the characters from each other that much gameplay-wise. At least not right now. I don't think it's even possible to include other characters with the current mind numbing gameplay formula.

Why Shadow over someone who isn't a clone?

How can you call him a clone? Apart from some resemblances in design, they aren't similar. In Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Heroes the play-styles were grouped. All characters in one group played exactly the same. That isn't character specific. His personality is completely different from Sonic's personality, and his back story is also. Plus he has his own unique abilities such as his chaos powers which became more developed overtime.

I dunno, they haven't managed all that well with just one or two...

Anyway, I think the number of characters comes down to how different they are. The more differences, the more time that needs to go into refining each character, building things around their specific quirks, etc. You doing SADX Metal Sonic-ish skins? Throw in 10, throw in 20. You going genre roulette style? Have fun trying to make 2 or 3 entirely different games with the resources for one. 5 or 6 is, I think, a pretty good upper limit for the kind of differentiation I'd like out of the series.

The series have had different people in charge since 2010, and Sonic as a whole has been doing better since. I believe they could possibly handle more playable characters better than the others did in the past... It's rather risky though.

How can you call him a clone?
Probably because his gameplay has traditionally been the same as or very similar to Sonic's.

The series have had different people in charge since 2010, and Sonic as a whole has been doing better since. I believe they could possibly handle more playable characters better than the others did in the past... It's rather risky though.
They couldn't even handle two Sonics, how are they supposed to handle 5 different guys?

They couldn't even handle two Sonics, how are they supposed to handle 5 different guys?

Considering the overwhelming majority thought they did the whole 2 Sonics thing well, I think they're ready to branch out.

• Thumbs Up 1

Considering the overwhelming majority thought they did the whole 2 Sonics thing well, I think they're ready to branch out.

maybe they need to listen to the "underwhelming" minority first

That is true. Classic Sonic was a mess. Modern Sonic however was improved from Unleashed and Colours.

I suppose the real answer is to hire better people who know what they are doing, but that is most likely asking too much considering SEGA's money troubles and lack of effort they put into their games.

That is irrelevent when we're talking about different styles based on modern Sonic.

Also, does it really need to play JUST like the classics? Jesus christ.

considering they were bringing back a gameplay style developed by nearly the same people who made it

yes it did

That is irrelevent when we're talking about different styles based on modern Sonic.
If they're just going to make carbon copies of Generations Modern, then sure, any idiot can do that. If they actually want to make good gameplay and characters with meaningful differences, they're going to need to put in more effort than that.

If they're going to call it Classic Sonic, yeah, that would probably be a good idea. You realize they managed to break a lot of what defined Sonic as something unique and not just another Mario clone, right?

Maybe you should just stick that video in your signature, considering the number of times you've popped it out now... I think this was the 20th time?
More than that, I'm sure.

The video was demonstrating an example on how poorly Classic Sonic was implemented by the people who will eventually take on other playable characters in the future. It's perfectly relevant.

Yes. The pinball mechanics is one of the most important elements in the classic games. It's important that they get it right when calling it "Classic Sonic".

You know, it's quite shameful when they can't replicate something that was developed 20 years ago.

• Thumbs Up 1

No more of this Super Hyper Ultimate Extreme Sonic Unleashed Alpha Gold EX DX M Turbo Battle Ver 2012 HD 3D (q.k.a Boost gameplay)