Awoo.

What do you want to see in the next Sonic game?

hangarninetysix

You want me to put the guys who made the most vapid, plotless husk of a Zelda game in charge of Sonic?

I don't think so Tim.

Now, had you said Intelligent Systems, I woulda had your back.

Skyward Sword had the strongest characterization of ANY Zelda game, Majora included.

Calling it the MOST plotless is flat out wrong when we still have Ocarina and Wind Waker.

Calling it the MOST plotless is flat out wrong when we still have Ocarina and Wind Waker.

kf

ajf

ajhn

I'm gonna walk away.

Praytell, how else do you fix the problem of "I miss/would like to play as X Character" by only improving Sonic?
Again, I am not against other playable characters, I am not against people wanting other characters. But when the problem is that playing as Sonic has become boring, the problem is to fix Sonic. If Sonic is fine, if people enjoy playing as Sonic, and simply would like some extra characters, then fine. If there's a particular character that a person wants to play as, then fine.
  • Thumbs Up 1

We enjoy playing as Sonic. We don't enjoy not being given the option to play as anyone else and thus call that particular choice boring, and it wouldn't stop being boring by "fixing Sonic," because Sonic's gameplay is not the problem here.

Wait wait wait, if the gameplay isn't the problem, what is? Loads of games have one protagonist and get way less crap than Sonic in paticular does.

• Thumbs Up 2

Wait wait wait, if the gameplay isn't the problem, what is? Loads of games have one protagonist and get way less crap than Sonic in paticular does.

Uh, considering the past few posts before this one, I think it might have something to do with Sonic not being particularly interesting as a character?

Don't get me wrong, he is obviously very fleshed out, but the problem comes with the presentation of his character. Sonic tends to never really go through anything that has repercussions, and this is amplified by the fact that his attitude's presentation makes it seem like he is always the one in control of the situation.

Edited by Malpercio

The problem is these secondary characters have these things called fanbases, and fanbases of secondary characters tend to like it when they're playable, and subsequently they miss them when they've been absent for a long time, especially when it was normal for them to have a playable role. I know; a Knuckles fan wanting Knuckles playable? Next you'll be telling me a staunch Classic fan wants proper rolling back.

The problem is these secondary characters have these things called fanbases, and fanbases of secondary characters tend to like it when they're playable, and subsequently they miss them when they've been absent for a long time, especially when it was normal for them to have a playable role. I know; a Knuckles fan wanting Knuckles playable? Next you'll be telling me a staunch Classic fan wants proper rolling back.

Diogenes for the last one. XD.

Edited by Malpercio

I can understand this, but considering whenever Sega tries to tackle multiple playable characters, they usually get subpar results, maybe we should wait and see if they adapt them slowly.

Hell, Generations's character focused mission might have been a test drive for some of them.

I think what Dio is trying to say is that people need to stop treating having Sonic as the only playable character as the primay problem of the Modern gameplay, when there's much more wrong with it than that alone, and that simply having more characters just for the sake of it, won't solve the problem.

Also, I understand every character has their fanbases and would like to see them playable, but they should also understand that just because your favorite character isn't playable doesn't mean the game is suddenly not worth playing. I would have loved to have Tails & Knuckles in Generations, but that doesn't stop it from being a good game in it's own right.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sega gets subpar results with multiple characters because they were crippled by their own incompetence, corporate overreach, or some combination thereof, not because multiple characters make for an inherently worse gameplay experience. I can't be the only one who'd rather play Sonic Adventure than Episode 1. Regardless, they're getting their stride back, and I'm tired of waiting for whatever contrived reason I've heard over the years about why extra characters need to be treated like a timetable for exiting Iraq instead of just implemented immediately.

Also, no one is treating the games like they're perfect sans the lack of an extended cast. I don't have to make some minimum amount of complaints about the gameplay before I make the suggestion that Tails would be welcome. This is such a ridiculous notion.

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 1

Also, no one is treating the games like they're perfect sans the lack of an extended cast. I don't have to make some minimum amount of complaints about the gameplay before I make the suggestion that Tails would be welcome. This is such a ridiculous notion.

Well it wasn't really directed at you, and I was speaking generally.

I realize you were speaking generally, but most people have made no indication they believe what you said, so telling advocates of extra characters that "they need to realize there's bigger problems" or "Sonic-only doesn't make a game bad" is disingenuous, illogical, and annoying.

I'm curious though, and I ask this in general: under what circumstances is it actually okay to complain about this problem without any inferences attached?

Edited by Nepenthe

Well I'm basing that primary on my ventures at the Sega Forums, and how people tended to talk how Sonic only is "ruining" the games ,and making them less fun, and interesting. If you want extra playable characters, cool but it's not the end of the series if they never come back.

Nooooooooo.

no

no no no.

Why would you pick that over potentially getting the guys that wrote this?

Kid_Icarus-Uprising_logo.jpg

Because getting the guys who made that aren't always the same ones as those who made Skyward Sword or even the Paper Mario stories. That, and Insomniac are definitely better when it comes to humor, cartoony, yet lethal enemy designs, and are great writers of their own with the Ratchet and Clank franchise.

So until Koizumi takes creative charge, Nintendo can stay the fuck away from Sonic. I'd be more confortable with Insomniac all the way.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Because getting the guys who made that aren't always the same ones as those who made Skyward Sword or even the Paper Mario stories. That, and Insomniac are definitely better when it comes to humor, cartoony, yet lethal enemy designs, and are great writers of their own with the Ratchet and Clank franchise.

So until Koizumi takes creative charge, Nintendo can stay the fuck away from Sonic. I'd be more confortable with Insomniac all the way.

Definitely up with Insomniac writing a future Sonic game. They always succeed in any form of writing, whether it be serious, dramatic, humorous, lighthearted, Insomniac's up to it.

Blaze to be playable again. I love her so much, yet I feel her fanbase is declining. She should be able to use her fire abilites.

I would want Sonic and Silver sometime in the future to perform the Incredi-ball.

For those of you who don't know, in the Pixar Movie, the Incredibles, there is a point in the movie where the brother sister duo Dash and Violet are trying to avoid capture by the mooks. Violet, trying to protect Dash from gunfire, created a force field ball around her and Dash, and Dash takes advantage of this by moving at high speed, turning it into the "Incredi-ball." They only stop because they accidentally ran into their parents.

Basically, Sonic uses speed, and Silver uses a force-field = GLORIOUS SPEEDY DESTRUCTION! Or a giant pinball if you so desire :3.

I would want Sonic and Silver sometime in the future to perform the Incredi-ball.

For those of you who don't know, in the Pixar Movie, the Incredibles, there is a point in the movie where the brother sister duo Dash and Violet are trying to avoid capture by the mooks. Violet, trying to protect Dash from gunfire, created a force field ball around her and Dash, and Dash takes advantage of this by moving at high speed, turning it into the "Incredi-ball." They only stop because they accidentally ran into their parents.

Basically, Sonic uses speed, and Silver uses a force-field = GLORIOUS SPEEDY DESTRUCTION! Or a giant pinball if you so desire :3.

You played The Incredibles game too? Sweet. (I could tell because that's the only place that it's ever called the "Incredi-ball") I have it for the Xbox original.

You played The Incredibles game too? Sweet. (I could tell because that's the only place that it's ever called the "Incredi-ball") I have it for the Xbox original.

Uh no, I just saw the movie, and I read about the term "Incredi-ball" on the internet.

Uh no, I just saw the movie, and I read about the term "Incredi-ball" on the internet.

Well then... That'll teach me to make assumptions when I'm too tired to think them through :P

I think the series needs more interesting uses of abilities in general. Particularly in regards to combat. I mean we have Blaze who is able to control fire but we hardly ever see it.

Same with Sonic. He's often been shown with some sort of power over wind. Play that up a bit.

Same with Sonic. He's often been shown with some sort of power over wind. Play that up a bit.

It's always implicated in Sonic songs that he has some affinity with the wind, it's probably what gives him his running abilities to be able to run as fast as the wind; however, I'm not even sure how it could be extended beyond multi-player. What kind of plot point could it raise?

I'd really prefer they didn't. Whatever control over wind he has is incidental to his speed; focus on that.