Awoo.

Dragon Ball (Warning: Untagged Spoilers)

FourCartridge

Cha La Head Cha La is returning in the DBS Broly with an instrumental made by Sumitomo and chorus by the HamojiN band.

• Thumbs Up 1

Looking like we'll have two more chapters, as I thought. Dyspo and Toppo will fall next issue, and then we have a final issue split between the final fight with Jiren and the wrap-up.

Maybe some indication on whether the manga is continuing past this arc?

Meanwhile, Dangers' September is right around the corner, awwww yeah.

036p29G.png

• Fist Bump 1

You're expecting the fight to end a bit too quick.

Toyotaro basically stretched a 4 episode long fight into 7 chapters in the Black arc, I doubt he'll cover all the stuff he has yet to cover so quickly.

The way Kefla was massively nerfed leads me to think Jiren probably is not going to be quite the same show stealer he was in the anime, though. We'll be told how powerful he is, but he's probably going to go down relatively fast.

Toyotaro seems to be rushing through to get to the fight with Jiren, not to get the manga over with. Especially considering he doesn't have an anime to catch up to anymore.

On 8/22/2018 at 10:28 AM, Ratcicle King said:

Toyotaro seems to be rushing through to get to the fight with Jiren, not to get the manga over with. Especially considering he doesn't have an anime to catch up to anymore.

More reason to wrap the Tournament up faster, so he can go in his own direction.

His comments were the manga would end up ahead of the anime, which leads me to think they're not cancelling it.

CHIKARA NO TAIKAI! HAJIME!!

So Limit Break x Survivor has an official dub now.

One week until my husbandos appear. September is gonna rock.

That's "Let the Tournament of Power begin!" by the way

The dub of the second OP was fantastic. Way to capture the intensity of the original, FUNi. That had me totally pumped.

Looks like 9/1 will be taken off due to Labor Day weekend. While I am saddened at not seeing Basil sooner, there is still some good here: originally, 9/29 would have been Goku vs. Toppo.

But now? Every episode in September is against the Trio de Dangers. YEAH BOIIII

10 minutes ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

The dub of the second OP was fantastic. Way to capture the intensity of the original, FUNi. That had me totally pumped.

The plot twist:

...the singer is NateWantsToBattle. I guess being local to LA and the fact he dubbed Dragon Soul in the past helped him make the transition from fan to professional. :P I thought that voice sounded familiar.

• Thumbs Up 2

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 might have given us a huge Spoiler for the new DBS Broly movie.

Don't look unless you don't mind.

The database hints at Gogeta Blue being released alongisde Broly in Extra Pack 3.

7 hours ago, DiamondX said:

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 might have given us a huge Spoiler for the new DBS Broly movie.

Don't look unless you don't mind.

Hide contents

The database hints at Gogeta Blue being released alongisde Broly in Extra Pack 3.

Spoiler

I'd fucking lose it if we get cannon gogeta along with his classic theme song

The dub is ok if the opening. Translated it's like cha la. It's less exciting.  the Japanese sub had more exciting mystery to it in the native tongue

So, in light of that Xenoverse 2 datamine, I remembered something:

The Bardock special, the first Broly movie, and Fusion Reborn are all going to be screened leading up the the release of Dragon Ball Super: Broly.

I've seen rumblings that a scene from the trailer is actually a flashback of Bardock sending off baby Kakarot a la Dragon Ball Minus (groan), and this datamine

Spoiler

suggests Gogeta is back

. So, uh, yeah.

We're getting Toriyama versions of old Toei concepts for this movie basically. I'm actually pretty excited about that even though, uh, DB Minus. I'm hoping Toei reins him in a little (since he was basically told to bring back Broly rather than coming up with it himself).

EDIT: this gets better. They're all concepts Takao Koyama had a hand in (Koyama was especially fond of Broly, almost to the point of being the character's biggest fan, so this is all really fucking hilarious to me).

• Thumbs Up 1

Spoiler

Just so I don't confuse you guys. It's just reffered as Gogeta but I think he will use SSB.

As for his attacks, he has lots of new ones that aren't int he game, but the ones that we know he has are:

-Kamehameha

-Galick Gun

-Super Mad Dance (bascially the kicks he does to Janemba)

-Super God Fist (I think it's a game exclusive move though)

Interesting ideas with the remasters. No wonder they had to put Super on a long hiatus if they have to handle not just one movie project but also remaster three more.

32 minutes ago, Bergamo (Ogilvie) said:

Interesting ideas with the remasters. No wonder they had to put Super on a long hiatus if they have to handle not just one movie project but also remaster three more.

Toei actually recently did a new HD remaster for all seventeen of the original Dragon Ball/Z movies in Japan. From what I understand they cropped up first on Netflix Japan/Amazon Japan, and they're getting home releases over there in the Fall (they may or may not get licensed, but the most of the movie BDs are out of print over here so Funi might spring for them). No clue if this had anything to do with Super's hiatus or this film's production though. I'm also not sure if these are the remasters that are going to be in NA theaters or if Funi will be using their existing remasters from the orange brick era (the movies and TV specials were actually treated better, bar the letterbox cropping on the latter).

• Thumbs Up 1

And Universe 9's voice cast have dropped!

So far I think Basil's is a great fit, but it probably helps his VA's biggest role prior to this was... a villain who had speed-based powers and who fought primarily with his feet.

• Thumbs Up 2

While Bergamo's voice actor voiced Tiger in My Hero Academia, so it is obligatory that the scene of Bergamo challenging Goku be edited to use Tiger's line of "The winners are whoever make the most people piss their pants!"

Seems the most notable role for Basil's voice actor is the lightning fast character with foot-based attacks here. Naturally, this makes him seem like a perfect fit. XP

Who knew "cocky speedster" could be an archetype? *looks at the forum he's on* Oh.

Edit: LMFAO there's a part where the character goes "have fun trying to dodge this, fairy!" Which is perfect since Basil scores the first KO of the Tournament by eliminating the butterfly girl.

Random question, Why haven’t One Piece been able to match Dragon Ball’s popularity in the West despite being more popular in Japan?

17 minutes ago, Jiren (Metro) said:

Random question, Why haven’t One Piece been able to match Dragon Ball’s popularity in the West despite being more popular in Japan?

Because the plot of one piece is ever growing, has a end goal, yet continues to build the mystery. The end players are know and the path to one piece is sorta known. Dragon ball has next to no real plot. Its literally a show about people yelling and punching a lot with slight plot like in blacks arc. That and abridged. I can not count the number of post on funimation of people making jokes about abridged all the time. It was only at the start of the anime boom

Random question perhaps, but I'm legitimately curious as I continue through my first viewing of Z again after a break (Up to near the unveiling of 17 and 18). What are some of the worst pieces of filler in the series, and what do you think is the best pieces? Can be anything, from original DB, Z or Super?

For myself personally, I'd say the worst pieces of filler that I've experienced thus far has all been early Z. Namek especially ended up being absolutely unbearable for me because not only did I find a large chunk of the main plot totally uninteresting until the Ginyus arrived, but the filler was based around the boring part of the arc anyway or took away from the cool parts. In terms of the Saiyan Saga, I didn't really like a lot of Gohan's training because of the fact a lot of it just felt like a bunch of repeating the same lesson. Gohan acts like a baby, learns he can't act like a baby, changes, rinse and repeat over and over again.

The worst in terms of Saiyan for me was definitely the orphan episode. An episode that makes little to no sense with Gohan escaping his training island, meeting random orphans who don't impact the story whatsoever, returning home and once again learning "oh wait i cant be a baby or else ill let everyone die". 

Namek as I previously said was the absolutely most awful. Not only causing a bad start from the very beginning with the random spaceship capture that basically amounts to a tiny portion of Frieza foreshadowing/build-up. Fake Namek was even worse, a boring mess of 3 or so episodes which wastes the viewer's time and amounts to nothing. Or one of the worst in the entire season for me - Bulma's adventures in the body of a frog. Because not only is it absolutely unneeded, not only is it lame, stupid, and boring, but it intrudes on the fight that's more exciting and was built up all season.

In terms of filler I'd say I enjoyed, I liked quite a few of the episodes with Goku on Snake Way, especially the Snake Princess episode, as that was relatively entertaining and I felt gave Goku a few neat character moments, and definitely the driving episode too, since that one is just really entertaining in of itself. Super knocked it out of the part with the smaller episodes though, with things like the mini-Krillin arc in the illusion forest, and the Beerus!Monaka VS Goku fight, both of which I felt were extremely entertaining. I think that's just one of the reasons they're good compared to the worst. They're actually fun and entertaining little side stories in of themselves while a lot of the bad filler ends up not even amounting to fun, or entertaining, desperately attempting to weave some kind of serious narrative into it and failing hard.

I honestly liked the Other World Tournament. It's funny, the Buu saga technically hasn't started yet so it isn't butting in on anything (like Fake Namek) , and it explains why Goku would be training for the 7 years leading up to the Buu saga instead of sitting on his laurels having passed the torch (or so he thought). On the other hand, I just straight up skip the Garlic Jr. saga when I go through Z. Waste of time if you ask me.

I think some of the best fillers on Z were the days before the Cell games, which had Goku and his family just spending time together (with a random threat that was literally no threat to them, which was fun to see), also of course the learning how to drive episode. Same with the other world tournament

As for Super, I guess most filler in it is great. The baseball episode, the Hit episodes, the Arale one, the Krillin ones, the Gohan ones, and most of the ToP invitation episodes. The only ones I'd consider bad are, well, most of the ones in the first two arcs and the Copy Vegeta stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1

Goku getting the Super God Water in the anime is good stuff. Goku is actually presented with a trial as opposed to simply drinking it and trying to endure the pain for a bit. Some of the filler during Goku's training with God is also good. The filler during the first half of the Saiyan arc is good. It does a good job of fleshing out Gohan's character and experiences in the wilderness during that year of training. We also get Vegeta and Nappa killing bug men on Arlia, so that's fun. The Otherworld Tournament is also entertaining. Some good action, and the antics with the other 3 Kaio are fun. There's also some nuggets of gold in Super. The Baseball and Arale episodes are fun for example. The worst filler is stuff like the Fake Namek arc, the Garlic Jr. arc, and the Copy Vegeta arc. 

I'm not entirely sure I'd say the Copy Vegeta arc was horrible, but I didn't like it a lot either. Biggest insult to me was Gotenks finally making another appearance only to get his ass handed to him on a silver platter.