FourCartridge

Dragon Ball (Warning: Untagged Spoilers)

Random question perhaps, but I'm legitimately curious as I continue through my first viewing of Z again after a break (Up to near the unveiling of 17 and 18). What are some of the worst pieces of filler in the series, and what do you think is the best pieces? Can be anything, from original DB, Z or Super?

For myself personally, I'd say the worst pieces of filler that I've experienced thus far has all been early Z. Namek especially ended up being absolutely unbearable for me because not only did I find a large chunk of the main plot totally uninteresting until the Ginyus arrived, but the filler was based around the boring part of the arc anyway or took away from the cool parts. In terms of the Saiyan Saga, I didn't really like a lot of Gohan's training because of the fact a lot of it just felt like a bunch of repeating the same lesson. Gohan acts like a baby, learns he can't act like a baby, changes, rinse and repeat over and over again.

The worst in terms of Saiyan for me was definitely the orphan episode. An episode that makes little to no sense with Gohan escaping his training island, meeting random orphans who don't impact the story whatsoever, returning home and once again learning "oh wait i cant be a baby or else ill let everyone die". 

Namek as I previously said was the absolutely most awful. Not only causing a bad start from the very beginning with the random spaceship capture that basically amounts to a tiny portion of Frieza foreshadowing/build-up. Fake Namek was even worse, a boring mess of 3 or so episodes which wastes the viewer's time and amounts to nothing. Or one of the worst in the entire season for me - Bulma's adventures in the body of a frog. Because not only is it absolutely unneeded, not only is it lame, stupid, and boring, but it intrudes on the fight that's more exciting and was built up all season.

In terms of filler I'd say I enjoyed, I liked quite a few of the episodes with Goku on Snake Way, especially the Snake Princess episode, as that was relatively entertaining and I felt gave Goku a few neat character moments, and definitely the driving episode too, since that one is just really entertaining in of itself. Super knocked it out of the part with the smaller episodes though, with things like the mini-Krillin arc in the illusion forest, and the Beerus!Monaka VS Goku fight, both of which I felt were extremely entertaining. I think that's just one of the reasons they're good compared to the worst. They're actually fun and entertaining little side stories in of themselves while a lot of the bad filler ends up not even amounting to fun, or entertaining, desperately attempting to weave some kind of serious narrative into it and failing hard.

I honestly liked the Other World Tournament. It's funny, the Buu saga technically hasn't started yet so it isn't butting in on anything (like Fake Namek) , and it explains why Goku would be training for the 7 years leading up to the Buu saga instead of sitting on his laurels having passed the torch (or so he thought). On the other hand, I just straight up skip the Garlic Jr. saga when I go through Z. Waste of time if you ask me.

I think some of the best fillers on Z were the days before the Cell games, which had Goku and his family just spending time together (with a random threat that was literally no threat to them, which was fun to see), also of course the learning how to drive episode. Same with the other world tournament

As for Super, I guess most filler in it is great. The baseball episode, the Hit episodes, the Arale one, the Krillin ones, the Gohan ones, and most of the ToP invitation episodes. The only ones I'd consider bad are, well, most of the ones in the first two arcs and the Copy Vegeta stuff.

Goku getting the Super God Water in the anime is good stuff. Goku is actually presented with a trial as opposed to simply drinking it and trying to endure the pain for a bit. Some of the filler during Goku's training with God is also good. The filler during the first half of the Saiyan arc is good. It does a good job of fleshing out Gohan's character and experiences in the wilderness during that year of training. We also get Vegeta and Nappa killing bug men on Arlia, so that's fun. The Otherworld Tournament is also entertaining. Some good action, and the antics with the other 3 Kaio are fun. There's also some nuggets of gold in Super. The Baseball and Arale episodes are fun for example. The worst filler is stuff like the Fake Namek arc, the Garlic Jr. arc, and the Copy Vegeta arc. 

I'm not entirely sure I'd say the Copy Vegeta arc was horrible, but I didn't like it a lot either. Biggest insult to me was Gotenks finally making another appearance only to get his ass handed to him on a silver platter.

I like most Dragon Ball anime original content. Saiyan Arc stuff, Other World Tournament, driving episode, etc. There's way too much to cover. The only anime original episodes I don't like I can immediately think of is the Bulma two parter during the Freeza Arc. Her hanging out with Freeza grunts and dealing with a giant crab is... boring.

There was an interview recently with the DBS Broly director, and they revealed some new stuff. A pretty important part seems to be a new planet.

Planet Bampa/Vampa will appear in the movie, and is a planet full of huge valleys and lakes infested with creatures.

Bulma's vacation home will be based on Italian buildings.

And they mostly want to have a more realistic approach, with some "out-there designs" and tge feel of a space opera.

You can go to Herms98 on Twitter for more.

Takahashi is the best thing to happen to modern Dragon Ball, i mean the guy even goes as far as to draw Krillin with a smaller head and a slightly more toned body akin to his appearance during the Android and Buu arcs, as oppose to the chibi-like anatomy that Toei, Toyotaro, and even Toriyama tends to draw him with nowadays.

49 minutes ago, DiamondX said:

Great drawing from Takahashi showing Gohan from kid to adult.

That "grow up" reminds me of Abridged 16

His corrections do show that he cares about characterisation quite a bit. Then again, Toyotaro's writing does leave a lot to be desired...