Awoo.

Dragon Ball (Warning: Untagged Spoilers)

FourCartridge

I'm expecting things will largely proceed like the anime from here. Vegeta will give his all, get knocked off, while Goku will almost beat Jiren but collapse at the last minute, only to be saved by Frieza and 17.

They're even hinting at Beerus' gift to Frieza: Whis notes that even though Frieza knows he can't beat Jiren, he is still trying. Apparently they expected Mr. Cold and Rational would just see how hopeless it was (and probably cut a deal to betray Universe 7).

It's really just a question of how many issues they'll use to resolve this. I'd guess two, with the second one having a large portion dedicated to the aftermath.

Jump Festa (December 22nd-23rd) announced what the main stage events will be. One of them is Dragon Ball Super.

Mind you, this is AFTER Broly releases in Japan.

Just speculation, but the anime may return next year.

• Thumbs Up 2

All eyes on the manga, I suppose. Since they mentioned it would end up ahead of the anime... we're going to get an idea what comes next with that.

So I'm even more eager for the Jiren fight to only be two issues or so. Get that nonsense out of here, and then we can see where things go next.

Also if they just adapt the Broly movie I will scream.

I would not at all be surprised if the manga starts adapting Broly.

And then I would not at all be surprised if the anime starts back up with an adaptation of Broly.

• My Emmerdoods 1

An anime adaptation of the Broly movie right after the Broly movie comes out would be the most redundant thing in the history of redundancies. I really hope Toei has more sense than that.

Then again, they are Toei...

• Thumbs Up 3

14 hours ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

An anime adaptation of the Broly movie right after the Broly movie comes out would be the most redundant thing in the history of redundancies. I really hope Toei has more sense than that.

Then again, they are Toei...

Super launched shortly after Resurrection 'F' and the arc was adapted within the same year. I wouldn't be shocked at all.

I have mixed feelings since I can sort of get not wanting to make the movies themselves required viewing but the adaptations themselves felt pretty pointless (or in the case of Battle of Gods, really fucking bad).

The only saving grace for a Broly adaptation in my eyes would be that Toriyama's original script (outline? don't remember what he specifically did) was supposedly much longer than the film could realistically do in a standard length picture. If Toei/Toyotaro were to use that cut content in a Broly Arc, I'd pretty much welcome it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm pretty sure the reason for adapting BoG and RoF was because they were never written with future story arcs in mind (not to mention that Super's rushed production meant they had no other story prepared). This, on the other hand, is branded as part of Super, with the staff fully aware that the series is likely to continue in some form. I don't think there's a need to worry about them retreading ground again.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Zaysho said:

Super launched shortly after Resurrection 'F' and the arc was adapted within the same year. I wouldn't be shocked at all.

I have mixed feelings since I can sort of get not wanting to make the movies themselves required viewing but the adaptations themselves felt pretty pointless (or in the case of Battle of Gods, really fucking bad).

I'd argue the BoG arc is alright, bar animation issues. It improves on several story beats and funny moments from the movie while retaining it's own thing. 

Meanwhile, Resurrection F, bar the training scenes with Goku and Vegeta is boring, badly animated, badly paced and all around awful.

1 hour ago, Pawn said:

I'm pretty sure the reason for adapting BoG and RoF was because they were never written with future story arcs in mind (not to mention that Super's rushed production meant they had no other story prepared). This, on the other hand, is branded as part of Super, with the staff fully aware that the series is likely to continue in some form. I don't think there's a need to worry about them retreading ground again.

I think this is more true with Battle of Gods than Resurrection 'F'. The former was similar to the 2008 Jump Super Anime Tour special--it was a random occurrence that happened in the interim of Majin Buu's defeat and Goku meet Uub, with Beerus and Whis showing Goku there are even higher levels of power than he could ever reach on his own. It would have transitioned just fine with Goku losing contact with everyone for a few years before the Budokai where he meets Uub. 'F' seems like a pretty logical starting point for Super in comparison.

22 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I'd argue the BoG arc is alright, bar animation issues. It improves on several story beats and funny moments from the movie while retaining it's own thing. 

Meanwhile, Resurrection F, bar the training scenes with Goku and Vegeta is boring, badly animated, badly paced and all around awful.

I feel the opposite, personally. I hated the Beerus arc of Super because I feel Goku's characterization was heavily butchered from what was intended. Battle of Gods strikes a good balance with Goku's selfishness and battle hungry nature but also recognizing his limits and swallowing his pride so he can face Beerus. Goku isn't a "normal" hero, and that's okay, and he's not the brightest person outside of a fight, but the anime version dials this up to eleven and makes him act like a dumbass. Credit where it's due, it does have some fun moments here and there (Vegeta's family vacation is up there with Z's driving school episode), but I always found that arc the most off-putting of anything in Super.

The Freeza arc, while longer than it needed to be, I sort of liked how it was just before Goku and Vegeta returned to Earth. It had some okay additions in the beginning, but then it just turns into a slightly protracted version of the film, to the point the dub could actually recycle whole parts of the movie's script across a few episodes. It's pretty safe and boring overall, and it didn't elicit as strong, or as negative, a reaction as the Beerus arc did from me.

I'd be fine excising both in favor of the Z movies though.

21 hours ago, Jiren (Metro) said:

@Bergamo (Ogilvie)

Our golden boi has recieved a southern accent in the dub it seems😍

Why yes, yes it appears he has. At least some hint of it... seems to go in and out of it. :P

Chris Guerrero sure is doing his best to try and mimic the original VA's psychotic laughter... can hardly wait to see how he pulls off the "POISON POISON POISON" bit from Episode 98... if you listen to that in the original Japanese, the VA was getting so into it phlegm was building up in his throat. XP

That's two syllables rather than one, however, so I suspect it will be "Die die die die!" to sound closer to the original "Doku doku doku doku!"

So I thought to pose the same question here I did on another forum.

Does Super have Legendary Timeless moments?

What I mean is moments that will be remembered and go beyond the show itself for being incredibly iconic. Like how there are several anime references to Dragon Ball scenes you can find from the days of Goku as a kid to him as an adult. The anime/manga has been referenced a ton. Things like..

-Death of Daimao
-Piccolo's Sacrifice
-Yamcha meme
-Over 9000/8000
-The first SSJ transformation
-The first SSJ2 Transformation

Things like that, which will last forever and probably continued to be referenced or parodied.

Can't think of anything from GT beyond the ending...which is really the only thing that could possibly be universally fondly remembered. But that doesn't mean it really went above and beyond the show itself like other examples have above.

Can't think of anything from Super outside of Ultra Instinct that might go beyond the show itself. It definitely left a mark as a fad, the numbers show this, but what will go beyond and become timeless? Things that will be forever looked fondly back on, parodied, and referenced in the future.

26 minutes ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

Future Trunks slicing Merged Zamasu in half with his Spirit Sword. That moment is adored by fans.

Absolutely this, as a Trunks fan especially, I love this moment, even if it's out of right field. It was a perfect conclusion to the arc and I think the only reason it's overlooked and hated on so much is because of what happens after - where they forced in a terrible ending with Zamasu still surviving and then having Zeno pop in to save the day.

In terms of iconic moments, I have no idea how you can leave the Black arc out of it in general, especially the fight with Vegito Blue against Merged Zamasu and especially his punch into final kamehameha. 

I'd also argue the first intro of Kaioken SSB counts as well, due to the build-up of the scene and being the first time we saw Kaioken in forever. 

--------------

On another note, seeing clips of the english dub of the Universal Survival arc, am I the only one who is really beginning to have a burning hatred for the Zen'os? 

56 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

On another note, seeing clips of the english dub of the Universal Survival arc, am I the only one who is really beginning to have a burning hatred for the Zen'os?  

Why's that?

Nah, I hated them in the Japanese dub, sure I'll hate them in the English. The constant repetition got old fast. Poison poison!

An iconic moment from Super I can think of is the final stretch of the Tournament of Power where Goku, Frieza and 17 worked together to defeat Jiren.

3 hours ago, Ice Vec said:

An iconic moment from Super I can think of is the final stretch of the Tournament of Power where Goku, Frieza and 17 worked together to defeat Jiren.

Yeah, this is definitely one of the crowning moments. A few minutes of a desperate fight, combined with some kickass music.

And to top it all off, Goku and Frieza use their Super and Final forms, respectively, rather than the much more powerful forms they've acquired over the course of Super. A nice callback to Namek, though they now they are fighting alongside each other.

While I'm here, may as well plug a track HalusaTwin made that was inspired by the Goku and Frieza coop:

Belmod's voice is very different from what I would have expected, yes.

Also some of the phrasing that episode had me raising an eyebrow. I guess Funimation decided to have a little fun with wording since it's on Adult Swim.