Awoo.

Dragon Ball (Warning: Untagged Spoilers)

FourCartridge

31 minutes ago, Bergamo (Ogilvie) said:

Also some of the phrasing that episode had me raising an eyebrow. I guess Funimation decided to have a little fun with wording since it's on Adult Swim.

What happened?

Just now, Jiren (Metro) said:

What happened?

I was just watching the fight and there were a few exchanges between them that made me raise an eyebrow since they seemed a little suggestive. Especially when I compared how they changed from the sub.

On 9/26/2018 at 12:45 AM, dbzfan7 said:

So I thought to pose the same question here I did on another forum.

Does Super have Legendary Timeless moments?

UI Goku doing a kamehameha surf on Kefla's attack before launching it.

• Thumbs Up 3

No, it's a pun on "Pot". 

Speaking of name puns, for those that want quick lesson on name puns and the Japanese language, I highly recommend this episode of the Kanzenshuu podcast. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Let's be honest on the punnage.

The best pun of all is the fact Tournament of Power abbreviates to "ToP," and the fighting stage is a giant top. I don't think anything can really top that.

Also because I've got my pet characters. All the remaining Trio de Dangers appearances. Non-speaking roles excluded.

Basil - 83, 91, 97, 98, 119

Bergamo - 91, 98, 119

Lavender - 91, 97, 98

Did I mention Basil is the most badass of the group?

Also the fact Lavender doesn't get another speaking role as an illusion is kind of hilarious. He really is the most mistreated member of the group.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, ThePrinceOfSaiyans said:

No, it's a pun on "Pot". 

Shit, yeah that's what I wanted to say, I was multitasking when writing the post and didn't even realize I messed up. Yeah Toppo's a pun on Pot, all Pride Troopers are based on Kitchen Utensils, Dyspo being Garbage Disposer and Jiren being Renji, aka Stove

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Bergamo (Ogilvie) said:

Let's be honest on the punnage.

The best pun of all is the fact Tournament of Power abbreviates to "ToP," and the fighting stage is a giant top. I don't think anything can really top that.

Hide contents

Also because I've got my pet characters. All the remaining Trio de Dangers appearances. Non-speaking roles excluded.

Basil - 83, 91, 97, 98, 119

Bergamo - 91, 98, 119

Lavender - 91, 97, 98

Did I mention Basil is the most badass of the group?

Also the fact Lavender doesn't get another speaking role as an illusion is kind of hilarious. He really is the most mistreated member of the group.

You forgot the final episode..

where they showed all the universes teams after being wished back

1 hour ago, Jiren (Metro) said:

You forgot the final episode..

Hide contents

where they showed all the universes teams after being wished back

As nice as seeing Bergamo hugging his brothers was, that was a non-speaking role, which I excluded from my list. :P

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 12:39 PM, Bergamo (Ogilvie) said:

Yeah, this is definitely one of the crowning moments. A few minutes of a desperate fight, combined with some kickass music.

And to top it all off, Goku and Frieza use their Super and Final forms, respectively, rather than the much more powerful forms they've acquired over the course of Super. A nice callback to Namek, though they now they are fighting alongside each other.

While I'm here, may as well plug a track HalusaTwin made that was inspired by the Goku and Frieza coop:

The music didn't do it for me personally as a Dragonball tune (I actually could see it working for Sonic but I digress...), but the imagery of the image and just thinking about that finale reminds me why the original SS is my favorite. Such a shame it didn't look that epic throughout Super, though if it had it would have put blue to shame just like it did in the end. Then again I may just be biased since yellow is my favorite color and I found Namek the pinnacle of Dragonball.

On other matters, I brought it up in a status a few days ago but figured I'd mention it here as well just to here some thoughts on it, but first some background.
So, I typically lurk over at the Kanzenshuu forums when I'm wanting Dragonball news and with the new movie coming up and some of the Gogeta theories circulating around from data leaks and I got to thinking of how Gogeta could be advertised as a new character as is suspected with the figures. Since Gogeta and new don't sit well with me and me thinking about fusion in general and the oddity of different fusions having different names (Potara = Vegitto, Failed Metamoran = Veku, Successful Metamoran = Gogeta) being kind of silly outside of selling figures I ended up with a crazy theory. Though unlikely, what if to make a new fusion/character, instead of Gogeta they gave us Metamoran Vegitto? I'm sure chaos would be a likely outcome, but I feel my theory isn't totally without reason since it would classify as new and avoid the question of why didn't Vegitto show up.

7 hours ago, Ratcicle King said:

Shit, yeah that's what I wanted to say, I was multitasking when writing the post and didn't even realize I messed up. Yeah Toppo's a pun on Pot, all Pride Troopers are based on Kitchen Utensils, Dyspo being Garbage Disposer and Jiren being Renji, aka Stove

Well, to be more specific, Jiren's name is a pun on range, as in a stove range. Renji is the approximation for the word range in Japanese.

Well, tonight they'll start airing the episodes post-Black saga to then start with the ToP here.

Although the opening is a bit dissapointing, I have confidence the episodes will be greatly dubbed. Although the original narrator passed away, so, I'm curious as to how the new narrator sounds and if he'll live up to the former.

Also, the actor who'll dub Jiren is the same who dubbed Thanos in Infinity War. That I'm looking foward too

As much as I don't like the Minus backstory and it's attempts to make Goku more like Superman in terms of origin, I have to say that moment of Bardock and Gine telling him to keep safe and an infant Goku still reaching his hand out in tears to both of his parents got me.

I've always wanted Goku and Bardock to have some kind of ""recognition" of being related. Bardock always does but Goku never realises it outside of what I think is Extreme Budoten on 3DS where Bardock even meets Gohan and Goten and wishes to spar with them.

I do kind of like this idea that while Bardock was still a bit of an asshole, he had some kind of genuine care towards Goku that makes him distinct among the other saiyans who cares for very little, showing Gine's kindness as a basis for it. Bardock is meant to be shown off more "heroically" in later appearances anyway which always contradicted the special where he was still very much a bad guy, it just so happened he retaliated against a guy who was fifty times worse. He didn't have any tears lost for the planets he conquered in the name of Frieza for example. So showing at least a little more believably in that aspect is nice.

I also hope we get to see Nappa and Raditz in this, especially with Zarbon, Dadoria and the Ginyus back.

I fully expect this quote to be in the movie.

Bardock: "Live as one of them, Kal-El-Karrot, to discover where your strength and your power are needed. Always hold in your heart the pride of your special heritage. They can be a great people, Kal-El-Karrot. They wish to be. They only lack the light to show them the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you... my only son."

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

I prefer the Dragonball Minus backstory for Goku tbh.

Bardock's & Gine's genuine love for each other is completely alien to the Saiyan culture. Ofc that nurturing and empathy, that carried on to Goku's time on Earth, would end up creating the first Super Saiyan in a millennium.

It also presents a fascinating parallel with Broly. Paragus genuinely seems to love his son, just like Bardock and Gine did with Goku. But Goku had the privilege of living on Earth and really come to peace with his life and his friends through the years, while Broly was all alone until Paragus found him, but then molded to hold bitter resentment over Vegeta all this time.

It comes across as Earth truly being the deciding factor for changing the ruthless Saiyans for the better. The three Saiyans all show different levels of growth as it pertains to Earth:

- One loved as a baby, growing up on Earth and rightly calling it home.

- One that's seemingly born for power first and love second, growing up with the cold and cruel Freeza, but came to Earth and learned to love and care for others

- And one who was similarly loved as the first, but with no history with Earth at all.

Three Super Saiyans born at the same time, becoming vastly different and their own persons through their different lives. It's just thought-provoking.

• Thumbs Up 4

Minus is a travesty that undermines the basis of Goku's and Vegeta's rivalry and the irony of Goku's "heroism". It's the worst thing to carry the Dragon Ball name, and yes, I've seen episode 67 of Dragon Ball Super. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

9 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

We've got a dubbed trailer:

It honestly brings me joy to see Chris Ayres being able to reprise his role as Frieza (yeah I know the original trailer had him but this is my first time hearing them because honestly I have not really been following this film).

Also the way they have that horde of battleships really establishes how far the Frieza Force had fallen by the start of the Frieza arc. From originally being able to make a display like that to just... kind of being around.

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, Coyote (Ogilvie) said:

It honestly brings me joy to see Chris Ayres being able to reprise his role as Frieza (yeah I know the original trailer had him but this is my first time hearing them because honestly I have not really been following this film).

It's especially nice given how he had to face lung problems last year.

He's still facing them. Guy apparently recorded this trailer at 20% lung capacity and is waiting for the go-ahead on surgery. I think I recall hearing that even if he's in the middle of a line, getting that OK means walking out of the studio immediately. I imagine they've got Daman Mills on standby to take his place at any moment if need be.

• Thumbs Up 1

Frieza did not keep his troops around him. I thought it was pretty established he had sectors around the universe.