Awoo.

Dragon Ball (Warning: Untagged Spoilers)

FourCartridge

56 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

Honestly, I was willing to give Mignogna the benefit of the doubt up until I saw those Discord messages where it's very clear he's been enabled by his crazy fanclub for years and basically ignored anyone who criticized him. I don't really want to throw too harsh of judgments out there, because I'm a fan too and I want to believe it's not that bad, but if there's anything to the accounts of industry professionals (like Marchi's), then him losing some roles and con appearances will hopefully be enough effect some change in him to actually do better and not whatever happened when he was called on it privately in the past.

Nobody wants to believe it. Fullmetal Alchemist & Brotherhood are pretty commonly considered some of the best English dubs out there, and Mignogna's performance is no small part of either of them. I'd love to be able to brush this off as the kind of "whatever he might be an asshole so what" like with Sean Schemmel, or just a weird buzz from people in an isolated incident (I mean, you can see just about everyone who's anyone accused of being a sexual predator somewhere), but that's just not what's going on here, it's just too obvious to pretend anything else. I mean, just about everyone would rather have a bunch of trolls lying about sexual assault than actual sexual assault charges. I really wish they were lying, because that's a dozen or however many more people that aren't being groped.

3 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Ill more than throw harsh judgments out when i see them. But I am not going to compare being hugged at a convention on the same level of rape.

Nobody is comparing this. Besides the fact that you're still minimizing what he's actually done, sexual assault is not always rape. 

3 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

He will lose roles but unlike cosby I see noting coming out of this besides a few cons cancelled and some feel good facebook post under said cons of people saying good. Still most people that actually like his voice work still say they enjoy his work. Especially the dragon ball community on yt.

Regardless this will probably blow over in a month or so. So lets get back to actual dragon ball talk.

I wonder if a new season of super will be announced over the summer.

That's a really cynical take. I understand wanting to get back to Dragon Ball discussion but part of bringing people like this to justice is learning as much as you can and discussing it with as many (and as high-up and important) people as possible. If we actually make it clear that we won't support stuff with Vic, the people hiring him will stop doing it, they have no loyalty to the man (well, mostly because it seems like everyone at Funimation hates each other as well, but any port in a storm). And if it does "blow over", then we're going to be right back in the same situation as before. Whatever the next biggest thing with Vic's name in the credits is to come out, this will all spark back up again. He's not going to get better. He didn't the last however many times.

This is a Dragon Ball thread at the end of the day. Cynical take maybe but we all have our opinions on this thing and vic himself. And I would rather get back to talking dragon ball.  I am not going to stop supporting stuff with vic in it. As I said he is broly to many and a very large portion of the dragon ball community and in the old school fgc of db fighters.

23 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Ill more than throw harsh judgments out when i see them. But I am not going to compare being hugged at a convention on the same level of rape. He will lose roles but unlike cosby I see noting coming out of this besides a few cons cancelled and some feel good facebook post under said cons of people saying good. Still most people that actually like his voice work still say they enjoy his work. Especially the dragon ball community on yt.

Dude, you obviously aren't even reading what's being said if you're still hung up on "they're complaining he hugged too tight." If you want to dismiss it out of hand, fine, but I don't think it's some big conspiracy that other professionals are also sick of his behavior and have been calling him out on it, and certainly not over "just hugging". They literally have nothing to lose or gain from it.

Not saying you can't like his voice work, like I said, I'm a fan too, but his voice work isn't what's got people talking.

8 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

Nobody wants to believe it. Fullmetal Alchemist & Brotherhood are pretty commonly considered some of the best English dubs out there, and Mignogna's performance is no small part of either of them. I'd love to be able to brush this off as the kind of "whatever he might be an asshole so what" like with Sean Schemmel, or just a weird buzz from people in an isolated incident (I mean, you can see just about everyone who's anyone accused of being a sexual predator somewhere), but that's just not what's going on here, it's just too obvious to pretend anything else. I mean, just about everyone would rather have a bunch of trolls lying about sexual assault than actual sexual assault charges. I really wish they were lying, because that's a dozen or however many more people that aren't being groped. 

I'm not dismissing it if this what that post is getting at. Yes, I admit to having some wishful thinking, but I'm not really siding with him either.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

This is a Dragon Ball thread at the end of the day. Cynical take maybe but we all have our opinions on this thing and vic himself. And I would rather get back to talking dragon ball.  I am not going to stop supporting stuff with vic in it. As I said he is broly to many and a very large portion of the dragon ball community and in the old school fgc of db fighters.

And that's more important to you than him groping people and potentially being an attempted rapist?

3 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

I'm not dismissing it if this what that post is getting at. Yes, I admit to having some wishful thinking, but I'm not really siding with him either.

Nothing like that, just stream-of-consciousnessing a bit from "not wanting to believe" it

2 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

Dude, you obviously aren't even reading what's being said if you're still hung up on "they're complaining he hugged too tight." If you want to dismiss it out of hand, fine, but I don't think it's some big conspiracy that other professionals are also sick of his behavior and have been calling him out on it, and certainly not over "just hugging". They literally have nothing to lose or gain from it.

Not saying you can't like his voice work, like I said, I'm a fan too, but his voice work isn't what's got people talking.

No I am reading it. If things are actually true and bad then I hope to see police charges against him start to show up. I know that is not whats got people talking now all of a sudden.

3 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

And that's more important to you than him groping people and potentially being an attempted rapist?

Well it is a dragon ball thread. I want to get back to discussing the show and manga. Whats said has been said what else could possibly need to be said about Vic?

@Meta77, stop trying to police the discussion in this thread. You can choose to not participate and talk about other DB-related things, but don't tell people not to talk about it here.

• Thumbs Up 1

Speaking of Dragon Ball show things

Talking with fellow fans on the reddit there are differences in translations of what frieza says of the end of the movie. 1. Implies his partner would be brolly when he is trained to control his power. 2. Another is him saying he wants broly also but wants a partner in general.

36 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Speaking of Dragon Ball show things

Talking with fellow fans on the reddit there are differences in translations of what frieza says of the end of the movie. 1. Implies his partner would be brolly when he is trained to control his power. 2. Another is him saying he wants broly also but wants a partner in general.

If it's at the end of the movie, I'd imagine it's not so much a partner, as it is having an enforcer for his army, the same way he wanted several others who challenged him to join his army. 

But from what I heard - 

Spoiler

Paragus still had Broly brainwashed in this continuity? Granted, could be wrong as I'm coming from second hand information, but if that's the case, Frieza could be thinking he could control Broly and his power the same way Paragus did.

22 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

If it's at the end of the movie, I'd imagine it's not so much a partner, as it is having an enforcer for his army, the same way he wanted several others who challenged him to join his army. 

But from what I heard - 

Hide contents

Paragus still had Broly brainwashed in this continuity? Granted, could be wrong as I'm coming from second hand information, but if that's the case, Frieza could be thinking he could control Broly and his power the same way Paragus did.

I do not think he was brainwashed. I think in this one he simply kept him in line cause broly raged more to stay alive and paragus had no way to stop him. and he was so blinded by his revenge that he forced broly to fight but even when he had to broly pretty much said he did not like it but could not go against his father.

But I figured this would be a new parther ala vegeta. both scheming but acutally giving goku and the gang a run for their money. I know people like to poke fun of broly beating frieza for a hour but the fact frieza stayed in gold form the entire time showed his continues to grow in power. Not to the extent of goku but he has proven he can get just as strong as him but is to prideful to train more.

So, quick thoughts on the Super Broly Movie while I'm still up and/for typing:

Spoiler

I honestly wasn't sure how I actually felt about this movie after I was done with it--undecided, if you will. Overall, I guess it can say it was okay to good enough, but I also remember not really being down with a couple of things.

• So, big one: The Legendary Super Saiyan himself. You know, when I saw the trailers however long ago it was--with him coming off the ship with Saiyan armor and the green pelt around his waist, Paragus being visibly aged, King Vegeta(wasn't he in that at one point?), the various side minion characters(who I'll try to get to), and King Cold with a young naked Frieza first making contact with the Saiyans--plus remembering that control crown think the original wore, I was honestly wondering if he was gonna be some sort of offshoot princely figure in charge of his own squad that just got back after all these years and comes to earth seeking what remains of the Saiyan race. While I guess some of that isn't that far off, it definitely ain't the case. So, the big theme with this movie's anticipation from announcement revolved around one query: Would this movie "fix" Broly? And while the general answer across the board seems to be yes, I can't really say I feel said fix is really much in itself: he's essentially mutant Tarzan with an unstable power level under his vengeful father's control, and by George, that's all he is. It's not a bad reimagining overall and the tangential details are actually quite intriguing choices(well, except maybe one we'll get to), but honestly, I wasn't too interested in him. How they adapted his fighting style was still neat, though.
  • Bulma's intended wish was both genuinely funny and brilliant. Throwing her in here for the next point..
  • Frieza is the best part of this movie. Seeing the day he assumed control was cool(did they ever go into that before?), the origin of the Scouters was cool worldbuilding as well as being greatly integrated with a character moment, getting some insight on his new ambitions with his two assistants, he got most of the biggest laughs, and the fact that he orchestrated the main plot in present day was a great framework. 
  • Goku, Vegeta, and I guess Gogeta were pretty good for what they given. Kinda wonder why they just let Frieza go at the end, though.
    • This movie sorta spoiled how the Universal Tournament ends, though it wasn't too much detail at least. Still, It's just starting as of last night.
  • Piccolo's small but important role in this was cool. He provided a good little break & regroup from the fight with Broly and it made sense to have it be him over Gohan or Krillin.
  • Beerus looked weird for what little screentime he had. I also sorta questioned leaving Baby Bulla with him, the Destroyer, but as he himself calmly says near the end, everything turned out alright.  
  • Why exactly did Whis go with them again? Not that I minded at all, but I honestly blanked on him being there for a while. Also, what was up with that smirk he gave after no selling Broly?
  • Let's do the flashbacks next, as they are definitely an area people are inherently mixed on. 
    • The reworkings of Broly's backstory is indeed the meat of these sequences and they were solid overall. The explanation of Broly's power level were brilliant in that they both makes sense and yet also tosses in just enough seeds of doubt to encourage ambiguity and/or speculation. King Vegeta directly comparing him to his son and deciding to send him away to a desolate world that's quite repugnant to lowkey get rid of him was great; I didn't have much of an issue with the original backstory, what I remember of it anyway, but this was a cool rework. The giant weasel thing(I forget it's name by this point) was a peculiar touch, but that's clearly the point--not entirely sure on what actually happened to it, though. 
    • The stuff with Bardock and Gine, which is apparently adapted from Minus(?), felt a tad tacked on and wishywashy. Like, why was he so different in design and where was his teammates? Baby Kakarot--who's totally nope apeing(heehee) Kal-El--wearing Saiyan armor is also a dumb visual.
    • Vegeta, Raditz(they remembered he exists!), and Nappa(?) plus two's brief scene before the timeskip was neat. They looked kinda odd, but that's just what happens with this setup--especially since Guldo is a thing. That was Christopher Sabat and Justin Cook, btw.
    • Oh, btw, did all of that shit literally happen on the same day?
  • Paragus was good-ish. It's been a good while since I've seen the original Broly movie, but kinda like Broly's new backstory, I thought this was a fine take on him for the most part. Honestly, is it weird that I honestly felt bad for him? His motivations made sense, as you could definitely see his POV on what he was doing for the most part, and it feels sorta off to think we were likely meant to be against him(again, we'll get to that). His death was also really anticlimactic, especially compared to the original, though it was still delivering one of the funniest moments in the movie. 
    • Oh and am I the only one who was hoping that skinny pilot with the long tail was gonna stick around over much of the timeskip as a loyal ally of Paragus and/or Broly? What happened there felt pretty needless.
  • I almost forgot to mention Kikono and Berryblue, Frieza's two flight attendants for this movie.  Berryblue definitely "stands out" more despite not actually standing out at all and I had to look up Kikono's name just now, but they were perfectly fine and I didn't mind them giving Frieza someone to talk to--Orbot and Cubot, as Johnny and Ryan put it. Their presence in the flashback was weird though.
  • So now that I've every other major aspect of the movie, it's finally time for that thing I've been alluding: Cheelai and Leemo. As an aside, Leemo was kinda cool--being an old, down to earth(hee) veteran of the Frieza army who does quieter work and now has a younger pupil riding with him was nice. But when I try to think of a single element that was responsible for why the movie wasn't sittin too well with me, the non-Planet Vegeta stuff comes down to Cheelai. She's arguably where what you could call the quote-unquote "heart" of the movie is, but I honestly wasn't feeling much for her impact on the main story. She sorta came off as this sassy fangirl character who takes a liking to Broly and messes with the way things go down in the name of protecting his 'poor, misunderstood soul.' It hit me the most during the ending of the fight, where she intervenes, forces Kikono to summon Shenron, and then flies off with Leemo, with Frieza's attempt to shoot them down being halted by Gogeta; in fact, that's applies to how I felt about the movie's resolve overall--it sorta feels like something a fan did to preserve Broly in the end. I didn't hate her or anything and the ending sorta makes sense out of these actions, but I wasn't onboard with her either.

28 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

That's how I read it as well.

Although it does further make me wonder if we might see

Spoiler

Cell make a comeback.

3 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

So, quick thoughts on the Super Broly Movie while I'm still up and/for typing:

Hide contents

I honestly wasn't sure how I actually felt about this movie after I was done with it--undecided, if you will. Overall, I guess it can say it was okay to good enough, but I also remember not really being down with a couple of things.

• So, big one: The Legendary Super Saiyan himself. You know, when I saw the trailers however long ago it was--with him coming off the ship with Saiyan armor and the green pelt around his waist, Paragus being visibly aged, King Vegeta(wasn't he in that at one point?), the various side minion characters(who I'll try to get to), and King Cold with a young naked Frieza first making contact with the Saiyans--plus remembering that control crown think the original wore, I was honestly wondering if he was gonna be some sort of offshoot princely figure in charge of his own squad that just got back after all these years and comes to earth seeking what remains of the Saiyan race. While I guess some of that isn't that far off, it definitely ain't the case. So, the big theme with this movie's anticipation from announcement revolved around one query: Would this movie "fix" Broly? And while the general answer across the board seems to be yes, I can't really say I feel said fix is really much in itself: he's essentially mutant Tarzan with an unstable power level under his vengeful father's control, and by George, that's all he is. It's not a bad reimagining overall and the tangential details are actually quite intriguing choices(well, except maybe one we'll get to), but honestly, I wasn't too interested in him. How they adapted his fighting style was still neat, though.
  • Bulma's intended wish was both genuinely funny and brilliant. Throwing her in here for the next point..
  • Frieza is the best part of this movie. Seeing the day he assumed control was cool(did they ever go into that before?), the origin of the Scouters was cool worldbuilding as well as being greatly integrated with a character moment, getting some insight on his new ambitions with his two assistants, he got most of the biggest laughs, and the fact that he orchestrated the main plot in present day was a great framework. 
  • Goku, Vegeta, and I guess Gogeta were pretty good for what they given. Kinda wonder why they just let Frieza go at the end, though.
    • This movie sorta spoiled how the Universal Tournament ends, though it wasn't too much detail at least. Still, It's just starting as of last night.
  • Piccolo's small but important role in this was cool. He provided a good little break & regroup from the fight with Broly and it made sense to have it be him over Gohan or Krillin.
  • Beerus looked weird for what little screentime he had. I also sorta questioned leaving Baby Bulla with him, the Destroyer, but as he himself calmly says near the end, everything turned out alright.  
  • Why exactly did Whis go with them again? Not that I minded at all, but I honestly blanked on him being there for a while. Also, what was up with that smirk he gave after no selling Broly?
  • Let's do the flashbacks next, as they are definitely an area people are inherently mixed on. 
    • The reworkings of Broly's backstory is indeed the meat of these sequences and they were solid overall. The explanation of Broly's power level were brilliant in that they both makes sense and yet also tosses in just enough seeds of doubt to encourage ambiguity and/or speculation. King Vegeta directly comparing him to his son and deciding to send him away to a desolate world that's quite repugnant to lowkey get rid of him was great; I didn't have much of an issue with the original backstory, what I remember of it anyway, but this was a cool rework. The giant weasel thing(I forget it's name by this point) was a peculiar touch, but that's clearly the point--not entirely sure on what actually happened to it, though. 
    • The stuff with Bardock and Gine, which is apparently adapted from Minus(?), felt a tad tacked on and wishywashy. Like, why was he so different in design and where was his teammates? Baby Kakarot--who's totally nope apeing(heehee) Kal-El--wearing Saiyan armor is also a dumb visual.
    • Vegeta, Raditz(they remembered he exists!), and Nappa(?) plus two's brief scene before the timeskip was neat. They looked kinda odd, but that's just what happens with this setup--especially since Guldo is a thing. That was Christopher Sabat and Justin Cook, btw.
    • Oh, btw, did all of that shit literally happen on the same day?
  • Paragus was good-ish. It's been a good while since I've seen the original Broly movie, but kinda like Broly's new backstory, I thought this was a fine take on him for the most part. Honestly, is it weird that I honestly felt bad for him? His motivations made sense, as you could definitely see his POV on what he was doing for the most part, and it feels sorta off to think we were likely meant to be against him(again, we'll get to that). His death was also really anticlimactic, especially compared to the original, though it was still delivering one of the funniest moments in the movie. 
    • Oh and am I the only one who was hoping that skinny pilot with the long tail was gonna stick around over much of the timeskip as a loyal ally of Paragus and/or Broly? What happened there felt pretty needless.
  • I almost forgot to mention Kikono and Berryblue, Frieza's two flight attendants for this movie.  Berryblue definitely "stands out" more despite not actually standing out at all and I had to look up Kikono's name just now, but they were perfectly fine and I didn't mind them giving Frieza someone to talk to--Orbot and Cubot, as Johnny and Ryan put it. Their presence in the flashback was weird though.
  • So now that I've every other major aspect of the movie, it's finally time for that thing I've been alluding: Cheelai and Leemo. As an aside, Leemo was kinda cool--being an old, down to earth(hee) veteran of the Frieza army who does quieter work and now has a younger pupil riding with him was nice. But when I try to think of a single element that was responsible for why the movie wasn't sittin too well with me, the non-Planet Vegeta stuff comes down to Cheelai. She's arguably where what you could call the quote-unquote "heart" of the movie is, but I honestly wasn't feeling much for her impact on the main story. She sorta came off as this sassy fangirl character who takes a liking to Broly and messes with the way things go down in the name of protecting his 'poor, misunderstood soul.' It hit me the most during the ending of the fight, where she intervenes, forces Kikono to summon Shenron, and then flies off with Leemo, with Frieza's attempt to shoot them down being halted by Gogeta; in fact, that's applies to how I felt about the movie's resolve overall--it sorta feels like something a fan did to preserve Broly in the end. I didn't hate her or anything and the ending sorta makes sense out of these actions, but I wasn't onboard with her either.

I still ask why doesnt the group wish by planet vegeta. or at least someone. id love to see more on them. Just from the lab group of saiyans, they seemed interesting. I think there could be a slew of potential.

9 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

I still ask why doesnt the group wish by planet vegeta. or at least someone. id love to see more on them. 

Yeah, seriously.

I guess the obvious answer is that they wouldn't get along with most of them and that'd really fuck with the status quo of Universe 7, but then there is Frieza....

9 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Just from the lab group of saiyans, they seemed interesting. I think there could be a slew of potential.

Oh-ho-ho, yeah--those weird Russian scientists who don't even look like Saiyans! I thought about mentioning them at one point, but wanted to focus on the big stuff.

Wonder what their deal was about?

4 hours ago, Ice Vec said:

Well, the russian accent must be something from the english dub, cause they didn't sound very russian to me

Well, yeah. Vegeta has had a British accent for years as well. 

I wonder if goku would ever wish his mother back to life. Seriously seeing her cry letting him go was tough.

But yes the Russian one. She looked pretty evil and seemed happy broly was stronger than vegeta almost bliss to the king being upset

9 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Well, yeah. Vegeta has had a British accent for years as well. 

I can only assume you're talking about Chris Sabat's Vegeta, but that is most definitely not British. It's just a slightly posh American accent.

Goku can't really feel compelled to wish the Saiyans back if his remembered experience with them in his universe comprises of a kidnapper of a brother, a sociopathic bruiser, a proud prince that took nearly 20 years to fully convert, and the one Saiyan he sensed was pure after two decades.

Lest we forget, the Saiyans were not exactly hesitant to commit planetary piracy. Goku just might not want this resurfacing, and Vegeta certainly doesn't after all these years of getting over it.

That's not to say the Saiyans could come back though. Freeza could very well wish them back even, knowing he has the strength to suppress them even if they all became Super Saiyans somehow. But a full-scale Saiyan revival would not be initiated by Goku nor Vegeta.

3 hours ago, -Robin- said:

Goku can't really feel compelled to wish the Saiyans back if his remembered experience with them in his universe comprises of a kidnapper of a brother, a sociopathic bruiser, a proud prince that took nearly 20 years to fully convert, and the one Saiyan he sensed was pure after two decades.

Lest we forget, the Saiyans were not exactly hesitant to commit planetary piracy. Goku just might not want this resurfacing, and Vegeta certainly doesn't after all these years of getting over it.

That's not to say the Saiyans could come back though. Freeza could very well wish them back even, knowing he has the strength to suppress them even if they all became Super Saiyans somehow. But a full-scale Saiyan revival would not be initiated by Goku nor Vegeta.

I do not see freiza wishing them back But I can see someone doing it as a future plot point. Not sure who though. But it could be an interesting twist for a future arc. That and exploring other universes.

Chris Guerrero did an excellent job with the "Poison Poison Poison" part, I was always wondering how that part would play out in English because of Poison being more complicated than Doku. He's an absolutely fantastic Lavender overall and it's a shame that's the end of Lavender's run, he makes him wonderfully psychotic.

As for Roh's death, I must say the Japanese was more satisfying. The "Grand Zeno, no!" just felt so weak compared to Japanese Roh's "ZENNNN-OHHHH-SAMAAAAA!" That's like the best part of Episode 98 to me is seeing that shitling get vaporized.

Can't wait to see the unofficial couple of Shosa and Majora next episode.

Also lol @ Beerus referring to the Trio as "furry nobodies." Funimation knows that group's fanbase, doesn't it?

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Ice Vec said:

Is the english dub at the beginning of the tournament or is it just you watching on your own?

The English dub just started the Tournament of Power. We just lost Universe 9.

• Thumbs Up 1

The release date for Broly’s home release is out, at least in the UK. You’re going to be waiting a grand total of four more months if no cinemas near you showed the movie.

I really don’t see the point of why it takes so long to release on home media after a limited cinema release. I’d understand it if it was a full blown proper release in every cinema and for a massively long period of time, but the showings were stupidly limited, especially in the UK and other territories outside of the US and even at that, it was in the cinema for a grand total of two or so days. At the very least under those conditions, I’d expect a home release within a month of the limited cinematic release because at that point in terms of scale of release, it’s practically like a DtV movie.

Idk, I’m just really pissed off now. I was unlucky to have the closed cinema showing be about 3 or 4 hours away so it was unfeasible, and now I’ve got to wait til the end of May before I get to see it, it makes no fucking sense to me.

1 hour ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

The English dub just started the Tournament of Power. We just lost Universe 9.

Wow...if I remember right, here, the next episode will be Vegeta vs. GoD Toppo.

Why is there so much difference?