Awoo.

Dragon Ball (Warning: Untagged Spoilers)

FourCartridge

14 hours ago, DiamondX said:

I like how eveyone agrees that Obuni was the only decent U10 fighter.

I mean...

We all figured Universe 10 would be the first one out due to being made of meatheads. Obuni's the only likeable one because of his powers and the fact he helps illustrate what's really at stake in this Tournament and how cruel it is.

And indeed, if not for Quitela's manipulations, Universe 10 quite possibly would have been the first out, given they were number two.

Basil was having plenty of fun screwing with people from every team, after all. Fighting 3, 10, and 11 all in one episode. The fact Buu was absent from the Tournament means he wouldn't have a score to settle like Lavender and Bergamo (but of course, he stupidly slides in to help them anyway).

20 hours ago, DiamondX said:

Considering we're almost at the end of the tpurnament, who was your favourite fighter from each Universe?

U2: Ribrianne

U3: Katopesla

U4: Caway

U6: Hit

U7: Android 17

U9: Bergamo

U10: Obuni

U11: Dyspo

My faves are

U2: All of them, I even liked Prum and Hermila in the end. I love my hams!

U3: Katopesla and Maji Kaio were the only decent ones. Such a shame cause I love robots and yet U3 was just meh.

U4: Decori was pretty badass. I liked how cocky Monna was too. Shame she'll probably be remembered for answering the prayers of cartoon inflation artists who like Dragon Ball.

U6: Kale. The Broly Clone that was just too adorable! I LOVE the fact that dragon ball had the guts to make her super forms buff. Most Shonen shows chicken out so much when it comes to giving the ladies a form equal to the guys. Good job Super!

U7: This is tough... I think I'll give it to Roshi, aside from that creepy gag, he did really well and both episodes he was featured in he did a great job proving himself. (Psst, hey Toei, think you could give Tien a better chance next time?)

U9: Hop looked really cool.

U10: This is really hard since U10 was really a waste of space... I guess Liliblu just for sheer lel factor of being the first eliminated and being a butterfly lady?

U11: Jiren. I'm really warming up to this guy. Don't know why but I am.

The music for when Universe 2 and 6 were Erased really does change the pace. It's sad, yet a little hopeful too, rather like how Haruka/Far Away was as an ending song.

Not sure how to feel about the seriousness of Erasure gradually disappearing. 9 was shocking and dark (as it should be), 10 was also very sad, and then after that... everyone's increasingly just taking it in stride and in many cases it's played for laughs. Maybe Frost's "LOL"-inducing Erasure was foreshadowing.

If nothing else, it does seem to be pointing us in a direction of a happier ending, I suppose.

Though if the ending really is just all universes get revived, I'm increasingly more interested in finding out what the next arc holds as opposed to this one.

Guess we might get some clues on the 7th, when the next batch of spoilers drop. That will basically give away the sequence of eliminations and set us up for a final Jiren/Goku fight.

So the news will really drop on February 7th, then.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wouldn't bet on listings spoiling anything big, not only they've been keeping secret on who's getting eliminated for a good while now(most of the time we don't even KNOW someone's getting eliminated), but if the Black arc is anything to go by, they'll hide the finale entirely.

Nothing listed Vegetto before we saw him with our own very eyes

Nothing ever hinted that Trunks would finish off Zamasu

The 67 listing AND preview flat out lied to us, implying it was a happy ending and Zamasu was done and dealt with.

Toei knows how to play this game, don't expect them to give away big plot threads easily.

• Thumbs Up 1

Heroes didn't spoil much, IIRC, every new development of that arc that Heroes covered, was show right after said reveal. For example, Heroes revealed Merged Zamasu the exact same day as Episode 63, aka the episode where the NEP showed Merged Zamasu.

The only hint of Vegetto Blue in Heroes IIRC was that on the Merged Zamasu trailer, for one small frame, Goku had a Potara.

Unless they're advertising it as a brand new development revealed in Heroes first, like Arinaza was, they seem to be keeping Heroes from Spoiling stuff too hard

They do seem to fairly consistently mention who was ringed out in the previous episode, though.

So I'm expecting we'll get the order of elimination. Particularly if the time lapse remains consistent and we do indeed have 6 episodes to wrap this all up.

Admittedly I haven't watched the show, but I feel like Zen-Oh is being mishandled.  He's become history's biggest monster and if the Super Dragon Balls can manage it, they should probably wish him eliminated.  Instead he's treated like this affable authority figure when he's clearly ruling through fear.  He doesn't seem to be providing any continued function for the multiverse.  He's essentially the child from that famous episode of the Twilight Zone.

1 hour ago, Phos said:

Admittedly I haven't watched the show, but I feel like Zen-Oh is being mishandled.  He's become history's biggest monster and if the Super Dragon Balls can manage it, they should probably wish him eliminated.  Instead he's treated like this affable authority figure when he's clearly ruling through fear.  He doesn't seem to be providing any continued function for the multiverse.  He's essentially the child from that famous episode of the Twilight Zone.

That's the entire point tho', everyone is afraid of Zen'O, only Goku is the one who goes up to him and treats him like a child. They've done nothing but to show how dangerous he is, and how there's no working around him. Plus, arc isn't over, for all we know, it'll end with some character development on Zen'O's part or just Goku managing to convince him against deleting people.

It's not unlike Fat Buu, honestly, who just killed because he DIDN'T KNOW it was wrong. Zen'O's morality, just like all gods, is different from mortals, as he sees the bigger picture, not the small details.

Plus, he doesn't have a function in the multiverse, it's the other way around, the multiverse has a function to him, it is supposed to be up to his standards, hence the mortal levels, and as of now, it should entertain him.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Ratcicle King said:

\It's not unlike Fat Buu, honestly, who just killed because he DIDN'T KNOW it was wrong.

This is actually a good callback.

Everyone was trying so hard to defeat Buu, when at the time, he was unbeatable. All it took was someone who was drastically weaker than him to just talk to him to convince him that killing people is wrong.

In much the same way, Zen-Oh is far beyond anyone (especially Goku)'s league, but Goku could quite possibly convince him against Erasing people.

Let's recap for a moment here. Zen-Oh isn't quite as unapproachable as one thinks. It's noteworthy that everyone was warning Goku against trying to negotiate with Zen-Oh, when Bergamo, despite never having met Zen-Oh before, was able to successfully do so. I don't think it's a case of "Zen-Oh knew Bergamo wouldn't win," either. I think Zen-Oh sees Erasure as a tool to get people to entertain or obey him, and he's not fully registering what happens when he uses it. He no doubt has enough logic to conclude the threat of being Erased makes people give it their all in a fight.

Let's note another example. When Goku summons Zen-Oh in the future, it is noteworthy that Goku goes up and hugs him... and even calls him Zen-Oh-sama, instead of the familiar Zen-chan. While Zen-Oh was confused, he didn't obliterate Goku on the spot. He's actually very approachable, so long as you remain polite and aren't annoying.

He doesn't even lord that menacingly over the Gods, when you think about it. He remains casual while they're all shitting their pants, because they know what he's capable of; with a power like his, he could be making them do whatever he wants all the time, but he doesn't, and that's a key detail to observe. While he jokingly threatened to replace Champa and Beerus, it's a stark contrast to when he sternly told Shin to be quiet, because the latter was obviously annoying him.

Of course, hilariously, Goku has been rather rude to Zen-Oh on several occasions, and the latter thought nothing of it, so who knows.

Overall though, it reminds me of a scene from the film Short Circuit, where the AI protagonist smashes a cricket. At first, he says he can simply "reassemble" the cricket, so it was okay. Cue his human friend explaining to him that that's not how death works. Now, fortunately with Dragon Ball, presumably even Erasure can be reversed, but there's still gravity to it in absence of an item that can reverse it. Zen-Oh doesn't understand that gravity yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

God of Destruction, Toppo.

Either Toppo pulls a quick coup on Belmod, or Belmod is doing all he can to make sure Universe 11 wins this fight.

3 minutes ago, -Robin- said:

God of Destruction, Toppo.

Either Toppo pulls a quick coup on Belmod, or Belmod is doing all he can to make sure Universe 11 wins this fight.

I don't have the slightest idea what that title is supposed to mean. Maybe Toppo becomes as strong as a God of Destruction?

2 minutes ago, -Robin- said:

If they keep the connotations the same, it's clear what goes down with Toppo.

Wait. What happens to Belmod then?! He dead?

Also, 17 is 99% gone next episode.

Most likely Toppo will begin going all out, aka using whatever GoD techniques Belmod taught him during his training. OOOOR Toppo in desperation will finally master said techniques.

Wait a second.

If Toppo becomes a God of Destruction, does that Belmod will have to give him the God of Destruction clothes?

WILL WE SEE TOPPO AND BELMOD BEING NAKED?!

Holy shit, this sounds amazing. Not only is Jiren obviously too much for Goku and Vegeta together, but Dyspo is giving Freeza enough trouble that he needs Gohan's help!? Some people are claiming that he won't have gone Golden yet, but why wouldn't he? It sounds more like Dyspo was only defeated by Hit due to the Time Skip and that he is either stronger than that fight suggested or perhaps too fast for most opponents.

And on top of that; it sounds like Toppo is getting upgraded powers to become even stronger. Fuck, I love how up shit creek U7 are now. It's about bloody time.

I wonder what became of 17? Is he putting in support where he can? Maybe holding off Toppo while Gohan helps Freeza? Or is he gone?

3 hours ago, DiamondX said:

Wait a second.

If Toppo becomes a God of Destruction, does that Belmod will have to give him the God of Destruction clothes?

WILL WE SEE TOPPO AND BELMOD BEING NAKED?!

Ah, so this is where 17 is. Gasping at the magnificence that is Toppo's birthday suit.

EDIT: Another possibility; if GoDs can indeed give up their powers to another... is Beerus handing his to Freeza. Vegeta and Goku refused, after all... This is crazy talk though, isn't it?

• Thumbs Up 1

Well this... certainly went in a very different direction than I was expecting and I'm so happy it did.

So it sounds like we'll lose 17 (which is appropriate, since he just had his moment of awesome against U3, and moments of awesome tend to lead to defeat shortly afterward), and then some epic team battles for the rest of the season.

I certainly prefer it to a back and forth which ends with Goku vs Jiren.

Frieza needing help against Dyspo, though? Did he manage to upgrade his light speed attack in the span of 30 minutes or something? Hit had a special ability that gave him an edge over Dyspo's speed, while Goku was able to discover the linear flaw of the speed. For Dyspo to give Frieza Hell, he either is receiving an insane powerup (not unfathomable; Jiren could always charge him up) or has already perfected his technique to have more randomness.

Toppo will be interesting to see. There's no rule against someone becoming a Hakaishin during the Tournament, I presume.

It's sounding increasingly like we're going to get Vegito against Jiren, all things considered. Even though a Gohan/Goku fusion would be more surprising, and be a nice callback to how Gohan was Goku's first choice back in the Buu saga.

Looking like they're going to keep the timescale, and the Tournament will wrap up either on February 11th or 18th.

Honestly, the only real point of contention for this whole arc for me is the fact that, no matter what happens, U7 (or at least Earth) has to survive somehow in order to keep Canon with Z. That just takes most of the stakes away, as we know that there isn't going to be anything major happen. One could argue that for any arc, but here the level of Plot Armor that U7 has is just dumb. Hell, that alone is probably the biggest advantage they have over the competition.

Eh I'm one of those who are less interested on the goal and more on how they'll get there

Yeah, sure, we know they'll survive, but HOW will they survive? WHAT will happen?

• Thumbs Up 2

34 minutes ago, Harkofthewaa said:

Honestly, the only real point of contention for this whole arc for me is the fact that, no matter what happens, U7 (or at least Earth) has to survive somehow in order to keep Canon with Z. That just takes most of the stakes away, as we know that there isn't going to be anything major happen. One could argue that for any arc, but here the level of Plot Armor that U7 has is just dumb. Hell, that alone is probably the biggest advantage they have over the competition.

Plus, let's compare Episode 97 to the rest of the Tournament.

97 was an awesome episode because it was a legitimate battle royale. While Universe 7 remained the focus, we were also seeing the universes actively fight each other or team up to take out mutual enemies.

After 97? It just became "let's all wait our turn to get our asses kicked by Universe 7."

It became less of a battle royale and more of a boss rush where Universe 7 has 10 stock.

I get that they're the main characters but it just made this arc feel really weak. This kind of Tournament would have made more sense as a later arc, when most of the competing universes are already developed and we have reason to care about their characters (and as a result, the other universes score a lot more KOs against each other).

• Thumbs Up 3

I mean damn, even the leaks say how hard Geets jobbed

But hey, now Goku's fully rested and his stamina reached his max

Meanwhile, seems like 17 isn't out yet, but Toppo awakening his GoD powers might be enough to change that.

Sounds like 17 is going to go the route of 16. An attempted sacrificial KO doesn't go right.

On the plus side, at least his head isn't getting squished afterward. :P

It figures Gohan gets to watch a second Android have a needless sacrifice, though.

At least Vegeta won't be ringed out trying to take on Jiren like we expected.