Awoo.

Dragon Ball (Warning: Untagged Spoilers)

FourCartridge

My sources are telling me it's called "Super Saiyan Why Are We Still Pretending Vegeta Isn't Useless?".

Had Goku taken an extra second to blast the rock pieces into debris, Jiren would have lost. Without needing Ultra Instinct to clutch it.

It's not just about power, but how you use it, and Jiren is, demonstrably, not a perfect fighter. It is within Goku's and Vegeta's abilities to take him down, especially with this new Super Vegeta Blue powerup.

• Thumbs Up 2

Decent enough episode, Goku coming up with some neat strategies is like old times and I love it. Vegeta's new form (Dokkan Battle when?) is nifty and I love how the main flaw in the two is their strength (they are not in sync). Though Jiren is getting more and more dull to me with every moment. No personality, over powered but not over powered (beats the snot out of them but then is on the ropes every 5 seconds) and even stealing Hit's invisible punches now? Yeah, worst Dragon Ball "villain" (I know he may not be a villain but for all intents and purposes, he is the main antagonist at the moment) ever.

Seven minutes left in the Tournament.

It's possible they'll slip in one or two two-minute episodes, but overall we seem to be looking at 7 episodes left.

4 hours ago, -Robin- said:

It's not just about power, but how you use it, and Jiren is, demonstrably, not a perfect fighter. It is within Goku's and Vegeta's abilities to take him down, especially with this new Super Vegeta Blue powerup.

It makes sense, Jiren is similar to Frieza in that regard. Frieza was so naturally powerful he never felt the need to really refine his power, so he was outclassed once someone started approaching his original full power.

Jiren is likewise used to simply curbstomping anyone who tries to fight him, so when someone with enough power goes up against him, there's always a chance they could throw off his tactics and beat him.

8 hours ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

and even stealing Hit's invisible punches now?

You mean Goku's Baby Maker Punch? ¦D

• Thumbs Up 3

Vegeta's transformation and his teamwork with Goku was cool, but the episode's storyboard and/or direction was a bit off in places. It was hard to see what Toppo actually did to cause Gohan to stop firing his Kamehameha. After another viewing, I can see that Toppo disabled 17's barrier and used his body as a shield.

Gohan's "hesitation" seems pretty justified, honestly, considering the barrier went down and 17 could have been seriously injured from the attack. I wonder if Gohan goes to help Freeza because 17 is annoyed that he didn't take the risk anyway. It's pretty shitty of the android, if that's the case though.

13 hours ago, 11 Pawns-a-Piping said:

It's pretty shitty of the android, if that's the case though.

He's being utilitarian if so, I think. He is more than willing to die if it means that the universe as a whole survives. Never mind dying is pretty tame compared to being Erased.

I think he'd be rightly frustrated with Gohan not being willing to go all out for everyone else's sake. Gohan clinging to ethics is a nice foil to Toppo dropping the pretense of justice, though. Of course, it's still absurdly stupid to cling to ethics in this situation given the nature of things here.

2 hours ago, Bergamo (Ogilvie) said:

Gohan not being willing to go all out for everyone else's sake.

This has been a problem with him since day one and with Dragon Ball loving Aesop Amnesia, I can absolutely see this as being the big reason.

• Thumbs Up 1

Interesting artwork from Toyotaro. Maybe a hint that he is designing Gods of Destruction for Universes 13 through 18 if the theory they will be revived holds true?

It sounds like the translation is that there are no God of Destruction-destroying gods, but there are? Anyone who could help?

...further evidence Toyotaro is a furry?

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Bergamo (Ogilvie) said:

He's being utilitarian if so, I think. He is more than willing to die if it means that the universe as a whole survives. Never mind dying is pretty tame compared to being Erased.

I think he'd be rightly frustrated with Gohan not being willing to go all out for everyone else's sake. Gohan clinging to ethics is a nice foil to Toppo dropping the pretense of justice, though. Of course, it's still absurdly stupid to cling to ethics in this situation given the nature of things here.

It's not as though Gohan deliberated over it, though. He simply stopped in the heat of the moment when things weren't going quite to plan. Compared to Gohan's past mistakes, this is a lot easier to understand. Not to mention that the idea of going it alone against Toppo over a disagreement is far more absurd (although of course we don't know if this will be the case or not).

If 17 is pissed, then I hope it's highlighted as a flaw that he finds it difficult to fight alongside someone other than 18. At this point it seems like he can do no wrong, which is pretty boring.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not a great episode. It could've been done in half the time and it would've been better for it. Vegeta's transformation was super underwhelming, too. He just said he wants to keep fighting and he transformed. Goku doesn't even say anything about it. The other fighters just randomly disappear at a certain point and, like Goku, show no reaction to Vegeta's new power. 

Also, I wonder if Vegeta's bullshit transformation is going to get half of the shit Caulifla and Kale got for becoming Super Saiyan (2). :thinking:

• Thumbs Up 3

13 hours ago, Marcello said:

Also, I wonder if Vegeta's bullshit transformation is going to get half of the shit Caulifla and Kale got for becoming Super Saiyan (2). :thinking:

Of course not, Vegeta's one of the main characters.

Kale and Caulifla, unfortunately for them, are hindered by the fanfiction principle, where bullshit is a bit more tolerable when it's an established character doing it.

Though Vegeta still has the "emotional trauma" aspect to it. He's motivated by a desire to keep his promise to Cabba, a character who no longer exists, and whose only chance of existing again relies on Vegeta and Universe 7 winning. It's roughly comparable to Goku and Gohan's anguish over Krillin and 16's deaths, respectively.

Kale and Caulifla lacked that tension. Kale came closest with "senpai won't notice me" triggering the Broly mode, but it's rather petty compared to the U7 Saiyans who had real heartbreak and agony to transform over.

• Thumbs Up 2

I feel like Kale and Caulifla suffer from a bit of a narrative confusion by some fans.

They had a lot of screen time setting them up, so it's quickly forgotten that, for this arc, they're antagonists. Cabba, for example, had a similar deal, however, his relationship with Vegeta, a protagonist, and the fact he got defeated by Freeza, an antagonist, gives him an excuse to not be seen as poorly as those two, even when he gets power ups.

Kale and Caulifla, on the other hand, they had a lot of scren time, we stuck around seeing their problems, their development, heck, U7 even teamed up with them. So when they get power ups randomly, it feels less like, say, Freeza changing forms, and more like Goten and Trunks becoming SSJ. However, in the narrative, they're antagonists. Take Hit, for example, he kept powering up during his fight with Goku, and showcased weird new powers every time he fought, however, fans loved it, because he's firmly placed as a rival, his place is well defined, so people know what to expect of his role. The saiyan sisters, however, by having their roles in the arc mixed up, feel cheap. If they were firmly stablished as antagonists from day 1, their power ups would've been more reasonable, as that's what EVERY villain in the show gets at some point. Freeza, Cell, Buu, Hit, Black, they all got random power ups that they for all intents and purposes, did not deserve, but no one bats an eye, because narrative wise, it's a necessity, the villain has to be as strong, if not stronger, than the heroes. With the saiya sisters, tho', people ask questions they wouldn't ask about other villains, because they DON'T FEEL like villains, so people don't expect them to have power ups like this.

And we have Funimation posting the VA's for the Future Trunks arc characters. I won't over most of them since they're the same.

First off, we have Garrett Schenck as Gowasu.

Secondly, we have David Gray as Zamasu.

David Gray...who's that? Good question!

David Gray is 99% an alias. For who? Most probably James Marsters, who voiced Zamasu in Xenoverse 2.

• Thumbs Up 2

Revised spoilers for 124 and 125.

125 in particular details "something strange" happening to Toppo. It sounds like he may in fact ascend to godhood on the fighting stage.

The talk of Frieza and 17 taking on Toppo makes it seem like Dyspo will be checking out this week's episode. If Gohan is still in, my guess is he wears himself out taking out Dyspo.

Scenes from the new manga chapter are out.

Goku fights and recruits Frieza.

Beerus threatens to destroy Frieza's soul when he won't join hands.

Looks like we're getting a snippet of Universe 6. 6 and 11 are being set up as the real antagonists once more based on the exposition they've both received.

Sounds like the Tournament of Power will begin in next month's issue!

Not really. It's more like a season finale of Super while efforts are being relocated toward the new DB movie and Kitaro's anniversary.

Consider it a hiatus, not a true finale.

It's honestly welcome, that will give them plenty of time to work on the schedule, which has always been said to be a nightmare ever since Super began, and also will give them full time to focus on the movie, instead of having to share production with the anime, which would make it suffer hard. Super will probably only come back in 2019, after the movie's released, and they got enough time to schedule everything correctly.