Awoo.

Dragon Ball (Warning: Untagged Spoilers)

FourCartridge

I'm not particularly joyed about Heroes shooting into another arc. I found the Prison Planet arc to be pretty godawful, even with the excuses that it's a promotional anime, and there for pure fan-service. Even the fan-service parts mean little to nothing because the fights aren't particularly good, or built up.

2 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

I guess it's in general, but Goku feels too fixated on fighting. I understand that he likes to fight, but it feels like he goes too far with it.

1 hour ago, Guergy said:

Suffice to say that in an effort to make Goku true to his original character, he went too far in the other direction. Goku may not be a hero but he is still good guy who will to protect those he cares about

Pretty much.

Like, I kinda like how his eagerness to fight and occasionally make friends out of questionable individuals has sort of acted as a convenient catalyst for him ending up on the other universe's shitlist(particularly with Top), but he also seems oddly oblivious to just how much they justifiably hate his guts.

At least going by what I've seen. The most recent episode for me ended with him finding out Buu went into hiberation.

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1Santa said:

I'm not particularly joyed about Heroes shooting into another arc. I found the Prison Planet arc to be pretty godawful, even with the excuses that it's a promotional anime, and there for pure fan-service. Even the fan-service parts mean little to nothing because the fights aren't particularly good, or built up.

What was that Trunks-Kai guy with glasses' name?

16 hours ago, DabigRG said:

What was that Trunks-Kai guy with glasses' name?

His name is Fu.

I'm a little confused. During the scene where

Android 17 wishes the erased universes to be brought back, we see Liquiir, the GoD of Universe 8, yet wasn't that Universe eliminated?

28 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

I'm a little confused. During the scene where

Hide contents

Android 17 wishes the erased universes to be brought back, we see Liquiir, the GoD of Universe 8, yet wasn't that Universe eliminated?

Spoiler

No, that Universe was exempt from the tournament.

4 hours ago, goku262002 said:

Yes, Fu. he's a character that's actually been around for a long time now and has 3 seperate backstories (DB Online, Heroes, and Xenoverse):
dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Fu

Oooh, he's from Online too! Okay, that explains it.

Interesting that they are letting characters like him have some exposure in other things nowadays.

• 2 weeks later...

New clip showing what is a really pained transformation into Super Saiyan Blue, and includes a glimpse of Ultra Instinct. It looks like Broly is going to seriously drag Goku into some serious pain given the strain and the near-transformation into UI, which was only seen when Goku was seriously up against a wall and physically destroyed against Jiren.

It looks like Goku was actively trying to get to Ultra Instinct but just couldn't tap into it consciously yet, so he'll just go straight to Blue instead and save the strain.

If that's the case, then it means Goku wasn't confident from the start that Blue could pull it off, and needed Ultra Instinct however he could get it. Broly was just that strong.

Could be if it were in the script, storyboard, or novel adaptation, but it's not. Vegeta turns green when he transforms, but that's not a new form

• 2 weeks later...

My kinda sorta review of Dragon Ball Super: Broli

I enjoyed it. It was better than the latter Broli films, but I do think Broli's debut film is still his best. I think Dragon Ball Minus's incorporation is a real slight against it. The film didn't do enough to make it more palatable. It's the same ol' bare minimum exposition with no attempt to flesh out the characters involved. It also undoes Bardock's rebellion, which I don't find as annoying as some, I'm sure. For me, Dragon Ball Minus's biggest problem is what it does to the themes found in the Saiyan arc. Dragon Ball Minus contradicting the manga certainly doesn't help it though. There's no way Freeza even saw Bardock to even recollect him when Goku shows up to face him. 

Beyond the opening exposition, which lasts for quite a while, the present day consists mostly of fighting, and it is god damn gorgeous. Seriously, this is the best looking fight sequence in the entire franchise, and that's what really sells this film. The story content is underwhelming to be sure, but this is one of those movies you're gonna wanna have on in the background while you're doing other shit because it is PRETTY. 

As far as Broli's new characterization is concerned, I'm conflicted on it. Broli is more of a character now, but it's at the cost of Broli's one liner spouting sadism, which was the selling point of his original "character". He was the Legendary Super Saiyan, and he's all that he really needed to be. This version of him is more sympathetic, but I don't know if that adds much in the long run. Yeah, he can be incorporated into the main cast now, but what the heck are they supposed to do with him? Call him up when Goku can't get the job done? That's just the Zeno button all over again? Is he gonna train with Whis? Well, he's already stronger than Goku, so he'll probably be upstaging everyone at that point, and we can't have that. I really think this Broli isn't going to make many appearances beyond this film.

Oh, I also like that Vegeta doesn't job in this film. That's how you subvert expectations.

33 minutes ago, ThePrinceOfSaiyans said:

It also undoes Bardock's rebellion, which I don't find as annoying as some, I'm sure.

Something I find interesting is, there's hints it happened.

Spoiler

Heard that in the shot of Bardock blasting back the supernova blast, his armour is broken and there are a few soldiers around. I'd heard Toriyama's original draft was 3 hours long and I think this might be shown in an extended edition.

That being said, good run down on the film man, glad you enjoyed it (minus the minus stuff, not blaming you there.)

I suppose it's possible some of Freeza's goons knocked him back down to the planet in some extended cut. I hope that's the case, and it's released with the home edition, because otherwise there's no way Freeza would recollect Bardock like the manga shows, lol.

Ok after just seeing the movie in HQ and not yt videos I can say Goko did try to tap (maybe not on purpose) but that was definitely ultra instict he brushed against.

I just got back from the movie. It was kind of insane. I'm going to put some numbers before opinions because that structures things better and I don't want to bother categorizing them.

Spoiler

1. Obviously, the animation was incredible. I loved pretty much every aspect of it. The fighting was great obviously (if surprisingly difficult to comprehend during Shida's sequence, which I thought I'd like more than I did), but I especially appreciated the character acting during the dialogue sequences. Goku, Vegeta, Broly, Cheelai, Freeza and Beerus were all so full of life.

2. Actually, I don't love the line filtering they've been doing since the ToP arc. It made sense for a show whose designs and production were so fucked that it covered up inconsistencies, but here I think it actually makes things look rougher around the edges than they need to. Regardless, it was still a visual thrillride.

3. I thought it'd be Cheelai, but I actually for some reason really liked Lemo in particular. I expected him to be this grumpy old man who says "no" to everything-type character, but he ended up being agreeable and relatable. He's just a guy trying to keep his head down and live his life, but he's not dismissive of Cheelai and Broly, nor does he refuse to get things moving when he realizes shit is fucked.

4. One of the blaster sound effects early in the film was the same as this Star Wars one. That was weird.

5. The dub was mostly good. I can't compare accuracy having not watched the Japanese version, but I think most of the main cast did a good job. To be honest though...I like Vic Mignogna, but he fucking sucks at screaming. For real. His screams were so lame, even compared to Goku and Vegeta's. Also, they didn't put the stupid echo thing from Super on the screams, can they ALSO stop doing it in the regular series? Also, the acting on a lot of the flashback characters was kind of poor. All the saiyan doctors had weird accents, and the kid versions of Vegeta and Raditz just sounded off.

6. Freeza is the best character in this movie.

7. I heard the "who are we supposed to be rooting for" and "tonally inconsistent" comments from Ajay made me think it'd be an issue I'd notice immediately during the Gogeta sequence, but as it happened I feel like it actually was supposed to transition from Gogeta being awesome to Broly being in danger. When Gogeta first shows up it's all triumphant, and he does cool shit and looks cool, but then the scene with Cheelai and Lemo getting the Dragon Balls and trying to save him happens, and the music shifts and Gogeta gets drawn with these insane exaggerated expressions and Broly is barely even fighting back. The only thing stopping me from saying that it was intended for you to actually want to see Broly make it out okay here is that it's not acknowledged in-universe in any way. I didn't have nearly the issue with it that I thought I would.

8. Tarble is mentioned, and that sucks. Tarble sucks. They tried making a better Tarble with Cabba, and he sucked. Stop mentioning Tarble in your work if you're not gonna make him good, Toriyama.

9. The CG was very noticeable. On the characters it looked okay, but the environments looked no different from the awkwardly-realistic ones of Battle of Gods. They really did improve over RoF but they poured it all into character design so it looked a little bit like the 2D characters were superimposed onto photographs at points, and it got a little distracting.

10. It was fun.

*Bursts through steel wall*

Spoiler

They mentioned Tarble?!

Holy shit. Broly's power is so maximum that not only is he and his dad canon, but Tarble too.

I was slightly iffy on Broly becoming part of canon, but man am I glad to be proven so wrong if the things I'm hearing are true. Broly's got a character that's not just "POWERFUL THING MONSTER", Gine's here, Tarble is canon.

I wonder if he'll get a revamp like Broly? I hope he shows up again regardless

Now all Toriyama has to rip from my grimy little hands is... Time Patrol I guess?

Man, I wish a close by theater was playing this.

36 minutes ago, Sapphirine Wind said:
  Hide contents

They mentioned Tarble?!

Holy shit. Broly's power is so maximum that not only is he and his dad canon, but Tarble too.

I was slightly iffy on Broly becoming part of canon, but man am I glad to be proven so wrong if the things I'm hearing are true. Broly's got a character that's not just "POWERFUL THING MONSTER", Gine's here, Tarble is canon.

I wonder if he'll get a revamp like Broly? I hope he shows up again regardless

Now all Toriyama has to rip from my grimy little hands is... Time Patrol I guess?

Spoiler

The Jump Festa special was already as canon as it could be, since it fits in the timeline and Toriyama made it. Tarble is mentioned in both Battle of Gods and Revival F, just not in Super.

I don't think he'd get changed much since he's a more recent Toriyama creation, Cabba was already meant to be like Tarble (as Tarble's essence is "a young saiyan for Vegeta to train" and nothing else), and there's simply nothing to explore there.

And I hope to christ that the time patrol shenanigans stay as far away from the main series as possible. Keep that shit in the video games where the story doesn't matter and you can be as soulless as you want as long as people still pay for "what-if" scenarios.

1 minute ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:
  Hide contents

The Jump Festa special was already as canon as it could be, since it fits in the timeline and Toriyama made it. Tarble is mentioned in both Battle of Gods and Revival F, just not in Super. 

I don't think he'd get changed much since he's a more recent Toriyama creation, Cabba was already meant to be like Tarble (as Tarble's essence is "a young saiyan for Vegeta to train" and nothing else), and there's simply nothing to explore there. 

And I hope to christ that the time patrol shenanigans stay as far away from the main series as possible. Keep that shit in the video games where the story doesn't matter and you can be as soulless as you want as long as people still pay for "what-if" scenarios. 

Spoiler

I knew that the special was made by Toriyama, but he mainly struck me "his canonocity is on thin ice" for the longest time. Also saw a loooot of people say "he wasn't mentioned in Super, so he's non-canon", so it's nice to see that the guy has been "finalized" in a major film canon to the franchise.

I'm also with you there with the alterations thing, but I guess if he turns up, they might wanna make him more "fighty" to endear him to the fanbase. In terms of "like Cabba" he is, Cabba's more willing to fight for the sake of others. His job is defending Sadala if not other planets.

Tarble's peaceful. he just doesn't seem as hero oriented unless it's affecting him/his new home planet. He was never there for Vegeta to train, just to be a vehicle for the villains to show up. Vegeta training him up would actually make for a good few episodes or so. Maybe he could deal with his confidence in himself as a result of being effectively disowned by his father. But that's speculation; other than that there's not a lot of going further with him, unless they give him the motivation to get stronger.

I get that. It's probably not going to show up in the anime, since it's a bit too fanservicey as Xenoverse. Thinking about it now, they're probably a smidge canon; Toriyama did work on DBO in terms of history and design.

9 hours ago, Sapphirine Wind said:
  Hide contents

I knew that the special was made by Toriyama, but he mainly struck me "his canonocity is on thin ice" for the longest time. Also saw a loooot of people say "he wasn't mentioned in Super, so he's non-canon", so it's nice to see that the guy has been "finalized" in a major film canon to the franchise.

I'm also with you there with the alterations thing, but I guess if he turns up, they might wanna make him more "fighty" to endear him to the fanbase. In terms of "like Cabba" he is, Cabba's more willing to fight for the sake of others. His job is defending Sadala if not other planets.

Tarble's peaceful. he just doesn't seem as hero oriented unless it's affecting him/his new home planet. He was never there for Vegeta to train, just to be a vehicle for the villains to show up. Vegeta training him up would actually make for a good few episodes or so. Maybe he could deal with his confidence in himself as a result of being effectively disowned by his father. But that's speculation; other than that there's not a lot of going further with him, unless they give him the motivation to get stronger.

I get that. It's probably not going to show up in the anime, since it's a bit too fanservicey as Xenoverse. Thinking about it now, they're probably a smidge canon; Toriyama did work on DBO in terms of history and design.

Spoiler

BoG and RF are canon either way, you can just simply take the movie version or the show version as your preferred version as Super's version is simply expanded adaptions more than anything. Tarble getting a mention in BoG is about as canon as Ginyu coming back only to get murdered in RF in Super.