Awoo.

Dragon Ball (Warning: Untagged Spoilers)

FourCartridge

8 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

The amount of wtf on display is staggering

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsFRonykqjs

I mean in all fairness, there's no reason to expect much from the anime anyway - Super Dragon Ball Heroes - as an entity in of itself is simply an excuse to pile on tons upon tons of fan service, and it does an amazing job with it. The Promotional Anime is essentially much of the same - fan service and very little substance other than that. It's more often than not simply excuse plots to justify the fan-service. Even with the first arc, it was essentially just an excuse to have SSB Goku and SSJ4 Goku fight each other, resulting in a SSJ4 Vegito fusion, and a LSSJ Rage Goku. 

4 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I mean in all fairness, there's no reason to expect much from the anime anyway - Super Dragon Ball Heroes - as an entity in of itself is simply an excuse to pile on tons upon tons of fan service, and it does an amazing job with it. The Promotional Anime is essentially much of the same - fan service and very little substance other than that. It's more often than not simply excuse plots to justify the fan-service. Even with the first arc, it was essentially just an excuse to have SSB Goku and SSJ4 Goku fight each other, resulting in a SSJ4 Vegito fusion, and a LSSJ Rage Goku. 

If this is fanservice, I don't comprende this fetish.

golden_meta_cooler_by_obsolete00_dd9zub4-fullview.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3siaGVpZ2h0IjoiPD0yNTk5IiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvZDhiZjQ5ZWItZjAxZC00ODUxLTgxMGEtNmFhNmZjMzE3MTA3XC9kZDl6dWI0LTIyZjQ0NWM3LWJmZDEtNDJmMC05M2NlLWI0ZDhmM2NiNTVjYy5wbmciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTYwMCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.55yKZ7A2Qv3TaQV1eH-CEDsqIa_L7ZskRgmsADQ3GBg

6 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

If this is fanservice, I don't comprende this fetish.

golden_meta_cooler_by_obsolete00_dd9zub4-fullview.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3siaGVpZ2h0IjoiPD0yNTk5IiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvZDhiZjQ5ZWItZjAxZC00ODUxLTgxMGEtNmFhNmZjMzE3MTA3XC9kZDl6dWI0LTIyZjQ0NWM3LWJmZDEtNDJmMC05M2NlLWI0ZDhmM2NiNTVjYy5wbmciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTYwMCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.55yKZ7A2Qv3TaQV1eH-CEDsqIa_L7ZskRgmsADQ3GBg

Fan-Service doesn't just refer to that kind of thing, fan-service is essentially just something that has been added to a piece of material in order to please fans, specifically to do that, even if it doesn't make sense.

I.E - for example - how the Emperor was randomly added to The Rise of Skywalker - he's one of the most beloved and iconic villains in history, and Ian McDermott is seen as the best thing in all of the prequels. Which is why Disney randomly bullshitted an excuse to revive him for TRoS, and had him spewing out beloved memes. 

It's the same thing with Heroes. It makes little to zero sense, but gets away on the very premise of just having these insane fusions, transformations, and everything else that fans think is just super cool. Super Saiyan 4 Vegito, Golden Cooler, SSJ3 Raditz/Nappa/Vegeta/Broly, Resurrected Merged Zamasu, Adult Gotenks, etc. That's the appeal of the series, it throws logic out the window to simply deliver the most insane, but also cool as fuck characters and fusions.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

If there's anything I can appreciate about Heroes, it's the only place any of the old 90s Toei stuff still exists after all the "TORIYAMA IS LAW" garbage they've been shoving down our throats to accept anything like Dragon Ball Minus and all the stupid shit Super did.

It's too bad there's no actual thought put into it being coherent, so I can't say it really does anything for me beyond seeing that stuff, but that was never the point of Heroes.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

How did I miss this?

On 7/14/2020 at 8:12 PM, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Fan-Service doesn't just refer to that kind of thing, fan-service is essentially just something that has been added to a piece of material in order to please fans, specifically to do that, even if it doesn't make sense.

I was being metaphorical there.

I.E - for example - how the Emperor was randomly added to The Rise of Skywalker - he's one of the most beloved and iconic villains in history, and Ian McDermott is seen as the best thing in all of the prequels. Which is why Disney randomly bullshitted an excuse to revive him for TRoS, and had him spewing out beloved memes. 

It's the same thing with Heroes. It makes little to zero sense, but gets away on the very premise of just having these insane fusions, transformations, and everything else that fans think is just super cool. Super Saiyan 4 Vegito, Golden Cooler, SSJ3 Raditz/Nappa/Vegeta/Broly, Resurrected Merged Zamasu, Adult Gotenks, etc. That's the appeal of the series, it throws logic out the window to simply deliver the most insane, but also cool as fuck characters and fusions.

On 7/15/2020 at 1:06 AM, Zaysho said:

If there's anything I can appreciate about Heroes, it's the only place any of the old 90s Toei stuff still exists after all the "TORIYAMA IS LAW" garbage they've been shoving down our throats to accept anything like Dragon Ball Minus and all the stupid shit Super did.

It's too bad there's no actual thought put into it being coherent, so I can't say it really does anything for me beyond seeing that stuff, but that was never the point of Heroes.

That is true.

That said, my issue is less with most of that stuff(as weird as they get, they're fine in vacuums) and more how they quickly give up having any cohesion or sensibility about playing with those ideas.

Again, Captain Golden Mecha Cooler just randomly shows up fighting Cumber for two minutes before having a headache and bailing--not that long after we saw Cooler in his fifth form hanging around observing the Prison Planet conflict, mind--with ZERO introduction or context or even relevance to anything going on.

And I guess what simultaneously grounds everything and yet makes it worse is that they actually gave [Pimp] a motivation that's interesting and even a bit of backstory tying him into the Online characters. Which is pretty nice, until you factor in not only that myriad of stuff, but also how he himself sorta butted in and took over as the main villain from Fu.

• 5 weeks later...

Was a major fan of DB, DBZ, and DBGT. I remeber seeing DBZ for the first time on Toonami, I watched from Freeza to Boo Saga, and even used golden hair gel to spike my hair like a Super Saiyan. My friend owned a lot of the OVAs, so I got to see Broly and other films that delved deeper into the mythos of the Saiyans. I got to watch DB the anime, but I never got into the Mangas. I did have the trading card game. 

18 hours ago, Titan Mecha Sonic said:

Was a major fan of DB, DBZ, and DBGT. I remeber seeing DBZ for the first time on Toonami, I watched from Freeza to Boo Saga, and even used golden hair gel to spike my hair like a Super Saiyan. My friend owned a lot of the OVAs, so I got to see Broly and other films that delved deeper into the mythos of the Saiyans. I got to watch DB the anime, but I never got into the Mangas. I did have the trading card game. 

What were some of your favorites?

Have you seen anything of Super yet?

22 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

What were some of your favorites?

Have you seen anything of Super yet?

Favorite characters:

Vegeta 

Goku 

Trunks 

Piccolo (good) 

Android 21

Favorite Films

Dragon Ball Z: Fusion Reborn (1995) 

Dragon Ball Z: Cooler’s Revenge (1991) 

Dragon Ball Z: Bardock (1990) 

Favorite Sagas/ Episodes:,

The Freiza Saga 

-Goku Super Saiyan First Time, Episode 80 

The Cell Saga 

-Imperfect Cell, usimg tail to feed on people. 

The Buu Saga

-Super Saiyan 3 (Episode 2002) 

-Kid Buu

I have not seen Dragon Ball Z: Super yet. 

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Can someone explain what the heck is going on with Funimation?

Do you care to elaborate? What do you mean what’s going on with them?

2 hours ago, Ryannumber1Santa said:

Do you care to elaborate? What do you mean what’s going on with them?

Those typical "How X became the most hated" videos have started to pop up and so I'd rather ask someone who'd know and give it straight.

4 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Those typical "How X became the most hated" videos have started to pop up and so I'd rather ask someone who'd know and give it straight.

If you mean this video:

I'd recommend watching it fully, but it's a commentary on their dubbing practices, and home releases, which are all fair criticisms.

I really really really hope that when the Super anime returns, they'll adapt the Galactic Prisoner Saga and leave in the line about Gohan being the strongest being on earth after Goku and Vegeta. That would mean that Gohan, even in the anime canon, is stronger than 17 and probably Future Trunks. Why is that important to me? Well by the end of Z, Gohan was the strongest Z-fighter. Since then, Goku and Vegeta have vastly surpassed him, which I can accept given that they have God ki. However, in the anime canon so far, it appears as if both 17 and Future Trunks have also surpassed Gohan even WITHOUT God ki. And that's just more than I can take. I mean yeah, Gohan will never be the strongest Z-fighter again but being outmatched by 17 and Future Trunks? I just can't accept that. I mean for Gods sake, Gohan is the one that went through Old Kai's unlocking ritual. and yet 17 and Future Trunks manages to become stronger than him just by regular ass training (in 17's case) and getting angry (in Future Trunk's case)? No no no no no, that's just pathetic.

1 minute ago, batson said:

I really really really hope that when the Super anime returns, they'll adapt the Galactic Prisoner Saga and leave in the line about Gohan being the strongest being on earth after Goku and Vegeta. That would mean that Gohan, even in the anime canon, is stronger than 17 and probably Future Trunks. Why is that important to me? Well by the end of Z, Gohan was the strongest Z-fighter. Since then, Goku and Vegeta have vastly surpassed him, which I can accept given that they have God ki. However, in the anime canon so far, it appears as if both 17 and Future Trunks have also surpassed Gohan even WITHOUT God ki. And that's just more than I can take. I mean yeah, Gohan will never be the strongest Z-fighter again but being outmatched by 17 and Future Trunks? I just can't accept that. I mean for Gods sake, Gohan is the one that went through Old Kai's unlocking ritual. and yet 17 and Future Trunks manages to become stronger than him just by regular ass training (in 17's case) and getting angry (in Future Trunk's case)? No no no no no, that's just pathetic.

As much as I want Gohan to finally start getting credit again, it's not going to make a difference until Toei/Toriyama/whoever starts making a genuine actual effort to showcase him again.

Gohan is one of my favourite characters, and Ultimate Gohan is one of my favourite forms, but I'm sick of him getting super hyped up only to get fucked over to showcase Goku again and again. They did the same thing all throughout Super, treating him like dirt (to the point where rock bottom was when he claimed he thinks he knows how to access SSJ. As in he nearly forgot how to go Super Saiyan), and then making a big song and dance about Ultimate Gohan come the ToP, only for both him and Piccolo to get taken out in fucking ridiculous ways (Piccolo not stretching his arm to grab the arena ledge, and Gohan having to take himself out so Frieza can stay in is among the ones that drive me nuts).

As cool as Goku and Frieza's teamup was, I'd frankly have preferred Goku and Gohan. I had the same problem with it in the ToP as well where a major part of Super's narrative was Whis building up to two things - UI Goku, and how if Goku and Vegeta could work together, they'd be unbeatable. Come the ToP, Goku and Vegeta work together and get their asses absolutely handed to them, before Vegeta's just taken out of the game yet again. At the very least, Broly came back and redeemed it with Gogeta, but still - I was super pissed about that in the ToP.

They keep doing things and coming up with ideas for brownie points, and then never actually bothering to stick with them. Gohan is the ultimate fighter behind Goku and Vegeta, yet he always gets taken out like a fucking chump anyway despite the fact Potential Awakened is supposed to be stronger that most forms of SSJ. 

• 4 months later...

Dragon Ball Super is coming back in 2022!

• Fist Bump 1

Also, since I remembered this thread exists, how does everyone feel about the Granolah arc so far?

2 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Also, since I remembered this thread exists, how does everyone feel about the Granolah arc so far?

It seems like it's heating up to be quite interesting, no pun intended.

• Chuckle 1

The Heeters honestly remind me a lot of Bojack's crew but with an actual goal that I have to wonder if they were the direct inspiration. It's mostly in the design, I guess.

8 hours ago, Zaysho said:

The Heeters honestly remind me a lot of Bojack's crew but with an actual goal that I have to wonder if they were the direct inspiration. It's mostly in the design, I guess.

Where there goes my hope of the Galaxy Soldiers getting a Broly treatment, it sounds like.

Well we got a semi announcement. A new film is being worked on for 2022! image.png.9099e41d858d702fe424ac03f440b76a.png

So not much to go on but hey, hoping for a good one! Who is this unexpected character? 

Like i said when the Broly movie came out, if Toriyama applies the same treatment to other classic OVA characters like Cooler, Bojack or Tapion i'm all in.

• Thumbs Up 2

57 minutes ago, Teoskaven said:

Like i said when the Broly movie came out, if Toriyama applies the same treatment to other classic OVA characters like Cooler, Bojack or Tapion i'm all in.

Meanwhile here I am just waiting in the corner for a return of Cell.

Sigh.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wouldn't mind Cooler or Janemba coming back tbh.