Awoo.

Dragon Ball (Warning: Untagged Spoilers)

FourCartridge

I saw the Battle of Gods movie with subs online, and I really enjoyed it! Was worried that the music was going to sound dated, but it was really beautiful.
There's only two things that bothered me: Firstly the animation during quiet, regular, conversation scenes isn't impressive in the slightest. In fact I'd say it looks downright bland looking. This being a cinematic movie with the original creator surprises me.

Second, the CG backgrounds in motion are really bad. Like amateurishly, hollywood 90's bad. There's this one scene where Goku and Bills are fighting at a canyon, and during this one powerup moment their models look exactly like from one of the DBZ video games. Really bizarre. Other than that the fight scenes are fantastic and powerful. I don't mind the CG auras during powerups at all, it's understandable. The music really is amazing.

But in general I don't like Toei Animation's new look visually. The original cel animation and color for DBZ looks more impressive. I also prefer the way Bulma looked in the original series as opposed to her more streamlined, thinner new look.

Not that cel animation is needed for the new DBZ... I mean the Naruto movies look fantastic.

Ehhhh... Some Battle of Gods thoughts. Spoilers ahoy!

I do like the new characters Bills and Whis, they are both hilarious characters even if Bills is a bit of a dick. Shame that this is going to be their only appearances.

I do feel like the movie is on the random side and it doesn't feel well thought out. The reason why I'm saying this is that there's way too much of everything else and not enough action. The first fight comes like what? 20 minutes in cause they were busy getting Bills knowing the times. While I suppose its supposed to be a fun movie, I just feel like we're distracting ourselves from the Battle of the Gods since most of the movie focuses on Bulma's party and nothing else. It goes from eating fest to the Pilaf Gang dicking around to everyone else doing whatever and then poof Goku is here and more exposition happens.

Sure the final fight was cool and I really liked the outcome of the fight but I do feel like they padded a lot of the movie. Not that I don't mind seeing the Pilaf Gang again.

So yeah.

Different expectations. To me the fighting felt like the padding, and I was glad to see so much attention given to exploring how the main characters, Vegeta in particular, deal with a villain they know is undefeatable.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after watching all the DragonBall Z Orange box dvds that just finished coming out over here, I'd be happy for more. As long as Toriyama is at the helm & its fair to a few characters (no Goku worshipping like GT) I'd give it a try. Heck, after Buu, Gohan has sort of become a joke.

Problem is that they set a real high bar, goku is strongest aside from billis and his friend everyone else is weak, theres no room for character growth for anybody anymore, GT is the example of what happens when Goku is the only thing in the universe strong enough even when turned into a kid. goku would have to be nurfed by some way or another (the fucking kid idea didn't do it because he just found a way to get even fucking stronger!) in order for other characters to grow.

The obvious solution is to kill Goku.

Or set it in Future Trunk's universe/original universe. Hes the only character surely that would make a good storyline wouldn't?! :P

• Thumbs Up 1

If Toriyama's editors didn't hound the man to use Goku so much, then maybe there'd be a little more balance. But everyone in Japan just loves him to the point when a movie isn't about him (wrath of the dragon), he's still gotta deal the final blow to the bad guy.

Ah well, not like Toriyama cares. He just makes whatever up just for the sake of it. :D

Yeah, Toriyama's the kind of guy that believes in the whole "passing of the torch" trope, but when he tried it, it only lasted for so long...

Problem is that they set a real high bar, goku is strongest aside from billis and his friend everyone else is weak, theres no room for character growth for anybody anymore, GT is the example of what happens when Goku is the only thing in the universe strong enough even when turned into a kid. goku would have to be nurfed by some way or another (the fucking kid idea didn't do it because he just found a way to get even fucking stronger!) in order for other characters to grow.

The bar has been set crazy high since the beginning; it's just been really inconsistent. Early on, Kame Sennin was able to destroy the moon with a single Kamehameha. He's the same guy that took three years to get the holy water. Goku did it in just three days... which happened about a week after the moon was destroyed. Toriyama then tried to add numerical levels to help readers understand the differences in power, but it's no wonder he realized it was useless after a couple arcs.

My point is that the characters are already crazy strong; Goku trains for fun, lives to better himself through fighting, and inspires the other characters to continue doing so as well. Toriyama also wrote himself into a hole by godmodding the Saiyans (e.g., gaining strength when near the brink of death, and aging much slower than humans) which means the series could've continued without nerfing Goku because he's gonna get stronger no matter what.

Toriyama managed to think of stronger characters after the endgame-esque character Freeza and Super Saiyan transformation, and Goku wasn't nerfed. Now there's Beers and Whis, two characters both stronger than Goku, and eleven additional universes which always means more challenges and tests of strength for good 'ol Son.

It's just that Toriyama doesn't have the energy or interest to continue the manga after subconsciously creating a story that could go on forever, so movies seem to be the best way to keep this series alive.

Ah well, not like Toriyama cares. He just makes whatever up just for the sake of it. biggrin.png

I feel that Toriyama is like a snoozing old man in a rocking chair they prod with a broomstick once every 4 years to just say "YOU! OLD MAN!! MAKE UP SHIT!!!" then he scribbles something in a notepad then goes back to sleep.

• Thumbs Up 4

• 2 weeks later...

Friendly reminder that Ryo Horikawa, Vegeta's JP VA, has mentioned that the Kai Buu Saga is set to air in the US. All that's left is a date confirmation.

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't know why FUNi can't just fashon some old DBZ footage together and make a Buu Saga KAI trailer. this "secret" is just as badly kept as SEGA's secret of not being a SA2HD.

• 1 month later...

Get your fill of Dragonball trivia. Takahata101 is providing the voice for this video.

I freaking loved the music in the Budakai games, but never realized they were taking cues from already existing songs.

• 2 weeks later...

If you guys remember Morganstudios, hes the dude behind the american DBZ soundtrack. still does DBZ work too on his spare time, for example he just released this awesome character tune for Semi-Perfect Cell.

Well since goku just posted a vid from that guy, might as well post this one that's also from him, which is basically fusing Vegeta's theme with the Imperial March to make the friggin' theme song of pure evil itself oh my God this is awesome.

• Thumbs Up 3

Oh yeah I remember when I showed you guys that on the statuses, fucking amazing theme and its a shame he can't use it legally.

I rather liked the Nimbus cloud (when it wasn't completely and horrendously overshadowed by flight), as it resembled an Oriental carpet I recall from my lackadaisical youth. A great carpet that was.

I am not a fan of Bills (or Beers which I think frankly is quite a silly name); he is far too thin, and his large ears imply a hypersensitivity to sound that surely would have ruptured his eardrums, if not his brain, with all the cacophony of energy blasts and rather pointless kiai-waving-contest shouts. Not Toriyama's finest design choice.

Critically,

Carpet

• Thumbs Up 3

I rather liked the Nimbus cloud (when it wasn't completely and horrendously overshadowed by flight), as it resembled an Oriental carpet I recall from my lackadaisical youth. A great carpet that was.

I am not a fan of Bills (or Beers which I think frankly is quite a silly name); he is far too thin, and his large ears imply a hypersensitivity to sound that surely would have ruptured his eardrums, if not his brain, with all the cacophony of energy blasts and rather pointless kiai-waving-contest shouts. Not Toriyama's finest design choice.

Critically,

Carpet

His name was recently revealed to be Beerus (a pun on "Birus", the German word for "Virus", mixed with the word "Beer" to fit with Toriyama's pun theme-naming for characters in the series), according to a website for the game, Battle of Z. I personally enjoyed him and thought he was a fun character that stands out from the previous cast of villains, and is a breath of fresh air for the series to me.

• 3 weeks later...