Awoo.

Dragon Ball (Warning: Untagged Spoilers)

FourCartridge

It's implied that Vegetto could go SSJ3 anyway. The fight with Buuhan just didn't necessitate it.

I'd like to see a SSJ3 Vegetto vs. Beers or Whis now though.

Most characters that were given new states are already implied that they can do said transformation in the anime/manga universe anyways.

Gogeta could do SS2 and 3 easy so can Vegito and Broly. Future Trunks would have to come from a later timeline but its still possible Vegeta would have to find some kind of way to asend to SS3. GT!Gotenks was going to happen but thanks to Pan it never did. Bardock would've been super saiyan if he was just alittle bit stronger, but the asspull they used was just stupid.

All these transformations are shocking because its our first time seeing them in official form, its not longer fanon. but they don't reach that much.

All I know is if my 14 year old self saw all this he'd die of gleeful heart attack.

Most characters that were given new states are already implied that they can do said transformation in the anime/manga universe anyways.

Gogeta could do SS2 and 3 easy so can Vegito and Broly. Future Trunks would have to come from a later timeline but its still possible Vegeta would have to find some kind of way to asend to SS3. GT!Gotenks was going to happen but thanks to Pan it never did. Bardock would've been super saiyan if he was just alittle bit stronger, but the asspull they used was just stupid.

I'm with Gogeta and Vegetto being able to reach SSJ3 (given Goku can do it alone, and we're accounting for the combined strength of the two strongest fighters in the series). I am totally with a teenaged Gotenks. I can sorta live with SSJ3 Vegeta, but I can't understand SSJ3 Broly. Like at all. Broly is the Legendary Super Saiyan (canon be damned) and his form is arguably superior to most of the others at that point because it lacks the drawbacks of everything else. It's got the size and bulk of the "Ultra" states, but he maintains his stamina and speed, and his power only grows as he continues to fight. Broly is a fucking monster already, and giving him SSJ3 was pointless. He probably could, in theory, give SSJ3 Goku a run for his money because that power-up does wear off and leave Goku weak for a while (see Kid Buu fight). And then Trunks... was there a reason how he got that form actually? I'd kinda like to know the story since we never get to see how Future Earth turned out in his timeline.

I dunno, this whole tacking on extra Super Saiyan forms they didn't need never sat well with me. In the case of Broly and to a lesser extent Bardock, I feel it just misses the point of the characters for me. On one hand, it's cool, but on the other... can't they just make some new fucking characters already? So far all we've gotten in the last six years are Tarble, Gure, Avo and Cado, and Beers and Whis. Quickly, before they start scraping the bottom of the barrel and letting Raditz, Nappa, and those two ancient Saiyans from that filler episode go Super.

That's just me though. Admittedly, I'd definitely be more on board with this "Super Saiyan bargain sale" if this all happened like 10 years ago.

I'd actually like to see Radditz and Nappa go Super. Sorry ._.

The whole offshoot is "probably could" as in theres a chance. Broly has that chance so it was done, though I doubt it would be adapted officially unlike SS1 Bardock. Future Trunks is a offspring what if from I think the Shin Budokai storyline where Babadi comes to his timeline and awakens Majin Buu, so hes probably the Future Trunks from that timeline which would make sense he was damn near SS2 when we left him after Cell.

Toriyama will reveal the appearance of Goku's mother, Gine, in the next issue of his new manga, so maybe she'll be put into DBH to join the female Saiyan group that Fasha and Pan started.

But Toriyama is more or less done with the DB series, so all new characters are going to come very sporadically.

Fun fact for today:

"Today is my 9000th day on Earth (Born July 3rd 1989) So tomorrow..."

QyKCRfS.gif

It'll be over 9,000.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Why do I get the feeling the creators of DBH have been reading Dragon Ball Multiverse.

Why do I get the feeling the creators of DBH have been reading Dragon Ball Multiverse.

Creator, only 1. its Toyble, hes behind the DBAF fan-manga that got real popular then he got asked to come draw and be creative lead for the DBH manga, much similar to Taxman. 

Anyways, Music change!

“Dragon Ball Kai” Majin Buu Arc Staff & Cast Confirmations (KaiZEX)

There will also be a bit of a shakeup in the series’ staff. Most significantly, and due to the series’ musical controversy in 2011, the musical composition will be taken over by Norihito Sumitomo who most recently composed the score for Battle of Gods. Rounding out changes to the music department, Satoshi Motoyama will be joining veteran Yukio Nagasaki as audio director. Additionally, all three of the series’ producers will be new to the franchise, so it will be interesting to compare this to the adaptation of the previous story arcs. As expected, veteran series animator Tadayoshi Yamamuro is listed as lead animator for both the new opening and ending animations.

Anybody got a listen to their previous anime works so we can get a good idea of what were in for?

Just so were clear though, theres no OMGDATMUZACISSTOLEZ controversies with the new composers right? Reaaaally don’t want to go through the whole Yamamoto thing again.

I'm a little bummed Kikuchi's score isn't continuing because the Buu saga had some of his best music, personally... But it's nice they found a composer whose music likely isn't plagiarized. And given how poorly Toei handled shoving his music in last time (though it was admittedly last minute, but still), it's probably for the best. I'm not familiar with the new composers though, so I'm quite interested to hear what they bring to the table.

Hearing about the casting changes on the JPN side is interesting too. I wonder why Minaguchi won't be returning for Kai? I remember when Daisuke Gori died, it hit her hard, but she continued to voice Videl as recently as Battle of Gods (despite saying she was considering leaving the role when the news broke), so it's strange they suddenly recast her character. I'm also kinda glad to hear Babadi got recast on that side, I was never much into the Japanese voice. ...not that any of this ultimately matters, since I'm more interested in the dub and what's done there, but we haven't heard much of anything yet.

I believe Kai in general used all the sagas and movie music for the replacement score. there was no set score for each saga unlike the original JP DBZ. wonder if were going to get a music gut out again?....

SaiyaJedi from KaiZEX basically figured it out as to why shes leaving:

She’s taken an extended hiatus from voice-acting to pursue her dream of living abroad and becoming fluent in English. Part of that was the deaths of Junpei Takiguchi and Daisuke Gōri, who were both mentor-figures to her, but it seems like it was a combination of factors. Maybe that was just the thing that made her decide to act on her ambition.

She realized after her mentors died that lifes short and wanted to persue her dreams, I can understand that. I figure that Battle Of Gods was her goodbye to that character and the time she had with her.

I believe Kai in general used all the sagas and movie music for the replacement score. there was no set score for each saga unlike the original JP DBZ. wonder if were going to get a music gut out again?....

SaiyaJedi from KaiZEX basically figured it out as to why shes leaving:

She realized after her mentors died that lifes short and wanted to persue her dreams, I can understand that. I figure that Battle Of Gods was her goodbye to that character and the time she had with her.

It's been a while since I watched Kai, but I don't recall much or any of the Buu saga's music in the replacement score. It probably spanned more Freeza/Cell with some movies, but I really couldn't tell you what was used where).

Ah, and that makes sense. It's a shame she's left the role, but it's better she pursue what she wants to do and enjoy her life too.

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone going to fansub the TV version of Battle of Gods?

Cam footage for DBZKAI's Buu Saga trailer.

Next week in Viz's Weekly Shonen Jump, the Dragon Ball Minus chapter from Jaco the Galactic Patrolman (the one that reveals Gine, Goku's mother) will be publsihed! Source: Kanzenshuu (where else?)

I don't get Viz's WSJ, and I'm kinda bummed having to wait until next year to get a print copy of Jaco, but this sounds pretty cool. Don't know why we need to delve into Goku's Saiyan childhood, when he didn't have one (he was sent to Earth as a baby, but I suppose it's possible the events in the manga play out different in the anime; Raditz did seem to know about Goku well enough, even if he was just a baby). Or is this an alternate universe type of thing? Either way, more Dragon Ball stuff straight from Toriyama ain't a bad thing in my book.

Sounds like something a PR person would write, considering Goku was born on Vegeta then sent to earth not too long after.

Or this could be alt. universe stuff, considering DB Heroes is a long-running manga set in an alternate universe and DBGT is now considered an alt. universe.

I must be the most un-lucky Dragon Ball fan in the universe. At least that was what I thought when Dragon Ball aired for the first time on TV.

My 1st favourite characters were Tiensihan and Chaotzu.

They were so cuuuuuuutewub.pngScreencap_from_DB___love_it_XD_by_satu_d

Screencap_from_DB___my_avatar_by_satu_d_

But as you all know they got the short end of the stick and faded in the background.

Then, when Dragon Ball Gt begun, I choose my 2nd favourite character: Uub.

He looked so promising. He looked so BADASS!

tumblr_inline_n371eqpfaW1spvrli.png

tumblr_inline_n371f6kJwA1spvrli.png

tumblr_inline_n371fkbylm1spvrli.png

tumblr_inline_n371fyDrMS1spvrli.png

tumblr_inline_n371glDNus1spvrli.png

tumblr_inline_n371gyac2p1spvrli.png

...and then they trolled him too, reducing him like this:

tumblr_inline_n36zxzoZ8f1spvrli.png

tumblr_inline_n36zxg2KEB1spvrli.png

tumblr_inline_n36zyj27uO1spvrli.png

tumblr_inline_n36zznIVa01spvrli.png

Poor, poor guy.

To be fair, the only way your favorite character wouldn't have gotten screwed over in GT is if you happened to pick Goku as your favorite.

• Thumbs Up 6

So, DB enthusiasts, Goku's mother:

Dragon-Ball-Minus-Goku-s-Mother-Gene-2.j

buIMOZC.jpg

Dragon-Ball-Minus-Goku-s-Mother-Gene-4.j

Dragon-Ball-Minus-Goku-s-Mother-Gene-6.j

She reminds me a bit of Pan. She also's described as having an uncharacteristically gentle nature, so Gohan and Goten may have inherited their natures from their grandmother.

Could also explain how Goku himself became gentle, in a weird way - the concussion he suffered as an infant "activated" his mother's gentleness from recessive genes, or w/e

Placing bets on Gine being a playable fighter in the next DBZ game. 

• Thumbs Up 2

This manga apparently changes Bardock's personality as well. He seems gentler this time around; less like the jerk with a heart of gold before, and just sort of neutral. The events of the original special were pretty much rewritten for such an occasion as well, but that was to be expected. 

From what I've heard; Toriyama is suffering a severe case of, "I don't care" these days. Then again, he seems to have always had that attitude; it just gets worse as he gets older.

This manga apparently changes Bardock's personality as well. He seems gentler this time around; less like the jerk with a heart of gold before, and just sort of neutral. The events of the original special were pretty much rewritten for such an occasion as well, but that was to be expected. 

From what I've heard; Toriyama is suffering a severe case of, "I don't care" these days. Then again, he seems to have always had that attitude; it just gets worse as he gets older.

I don't even think you can call Bardock back then a jerk with a heart of gold, personally. Maybe if you're watching FUNimation's wildly different dub of the Bardock special, or even just the Super Saiyan Bardock special (it seems like a "characterization marches on" sorta thing), but Bardock isn't a "nice" character by any stretch.

Though in fairness, Toriyama didn't create Bardock, so it's not too surprising he'd give him more of his own personal flair (for the sake of humor) instead of strictly adhering to what Toei created.

That said, I don't think it's that Toriyama "doesn't care," but just that he prefers doing things that more closely fit his sensibilities as an artist and a storyteller, which is why it's not too surprising he takes a dark character like Bardock and softens him up for the sake of having some fun. We can talk about how it flies in the face of all that came before, and I'd probably agree with that, but Toriyama is basically going to do whatever he wants to do.

I do want to read this whole story now though, I'm somewhat amused at the thought of Bardock having a regular domestic life. I'm also hoping to see a young Raditz if Toriyama hasn't forgotten about him. What Quash says makes sense that Gine's gentleness probably did have some influence on the Son family, particularly Gohan, so that's an interesting thought.

Thanks Quash. I found some clearer scans, The scans are in japanese but this spoils a good chunk of DB- so spoilers:

09-1.jpg

10-1.jpg

11-1.jpg

12-1.jpg

13-1.jpg

14-1.jpg

But appearently you can tack this on as an alternate universe considering if these events happened DB itself would be completely different.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it's kinda sweet, in a way, but I can just see the Goku/Superman comparisons pouring in...

Hoping to see some translations soon though (since I have to wait a year for the print copy to drop stateside).

While it does fly in the face of what's come before, I'll go with the alternative universe explanation just to keep my head from exploding (though technically "what's come before" was sort of Toei's invention too, but Toriyama himself did say he'd likely have approached the Bardock backstory a little differently).

I think it's kinda sweet, in a way, but I can just see the Goku/Superman comparisons pouring in...

Hoping to see some translations soon though (since I have to wait a year for the print copy to drop stateside).

While it does fly in the face of what's come before, I'll go with the alternative universe explanation just to keep my head from exploding (though technically "what's come before" was sort of Toei's invention too, but Toriyama himself did say he'd likely have approached the Bardock backstory a little differently).

Well they do call Goku "The Japanese Superman" tongue.png. but no you don't have to wait a year, in fact tomorrow April 7th its going to be with the next Shonen Jump issue.

True, but were in a case of the Toei version being hardgrinded into us since the early 90s that we take that as the main series/canon explanation of what happened pre-dragonball and every piece of media and adapted from that, were in too deep to start making sudden changes now.

This is a nice alternate take of what happened pre-dragonball and I gladly accept it, but that means DB itself would need alittle redoing as well but hell its not like this series doesn't need it.